Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2007, 12:50   #1

Car or MUV

Hi,
I had already posted a query regarding which car or MUV i can go in for. I am again repeating it as the thread was in the wrong section.
I already have a M800 for the last five years. It is now geting to be small for my family which consists of wife and two kids. Parents stay with me so sometimes (maybe once a week) we go out together.
The vehicle will be used everyday to drop wife and kids to work and school respectively. (per day 20 - 30 kms).It will be driven by me only in the city.
So here is my requirement:
Im looking for something that can seat atleast 5 people plus luggage.
It can either be petrol or diesel
MOst important - the budget is max 3 lakhs.(second hand will do)
I intend to keep the vehicle for atleast another 5 - 7 years.
I had looked at some second hand sumos, but they were in bad condition and mosstly yellow boards.
I also checked out a mahindra marshal deluxe royale, but the price quoted was too high.
PLease help in this regard.
Thanks in advance.
Old 26th June 2007, 13:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosopher_ir View Post
Hi,
How about a brand new Indica Xeta ?
I am sure it will seat 5 comfortably. The boot is decent can take luggage. You can put a roof rack for extra luggage.
I would recommend it over any second hand MUV which are mostly unreliable and failure prone.
Old 26th June 2007, 14:01   #3

Thanks DCEite. That would be a new car that you are recommending. Would there be any second hand car (sedan) which would also do the job and fit into the budget?
Thanks.
Old 26th June 2007, 14:43   #4
BHPian

Why don’t you look at the Maruti Esteem, you should get a good esteem for you budget with all the comforts and a boot space for the luggage.

Hellcat
Old 26th June 2007, 14:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks DCEite. That would be a new car that you are recommending. Would there be any second hand car (sedan) which would also do the job and fit into the budget?
Thanks.
In second hand sedans you can consider Maruti Esteem, Tata Indigo, Ford Ikon.
You can also consider Maruti Versa but i doubt its 5 people + luggage carrying capacity.
Old 26th June 2007, 14:59   #6
BHPian

wagon r

Quote:
Hi,
It can either be petrol or diesel
MOst important - the budget is max 3 lakhs.(second hand will do)
I intend to keep the vehicle for atleast another 5 - 7 years.
PLease help in this regard.
Thanks in advance.

Stretch slightly and buy a new Wagon R Lx(without power steering), U will not only enjoy th ride and have space for luggage also. Zilch maintenance also(something u need to cater in if opting for sumo or marshal).
Old 26th June 2007, 15:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Buying Indica is good idea because they have done lot of improvement now.

If you are particular about Used Sedan it has to be Esteem, Indigo, Adventure, Petra because you can find these cars easily in Bangalore.

You can find Versa as well it can fit 5 people and luggage.

About buying used its very risky unless you know someone very well who is selling SUMO/Safari/Bolero

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 26th June 2007, 15:21   #8
BHPian

The Accent and Baleno are excellent cars. With new models introduced lately for both these cars i think their prices in the 2nd hand market may have plunked. Maybe you should look up the resale prices of these 2 to see if any suits your budget.
I would have advised the Ikon as it too is a stellar machine. The only issue is that its not all that fun to drive and feels cramped when you force in 5 people into it. Also that the boot space may not be up to your requirement.
Old 26th June 2007, 15:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Used 1.3 City - very good luggage space. Great for city driving (4.8m turning radius), the engine will last you forever, and you *can* get it maintained cheap.
If you need to to take it out on the highway, it'll serve you well too. And you'll slowly start looking at cars differently as you drive more
Old 26th June 2007, 15:35   #10
BHPian

if you wanna buy used cars read the used car's thread in TBHP. Also please buy from reputed dealers like Maruti Truevalue or Automart. Still take your trusted mechanic for your complete satisfaction.
Old 26th June 2007, 15:41   #11
Team-BHP Support

Cars like Esteem and Accent do not have enough space in the rear to seat 5 people comfortably.
So in the sedan range you have the Tata indigo which is the most spacious. Go for diesel because petrol ones are a little rare, however if your running is less you can get a slightly used one.
Are you taking a loan. In that case you can go for brand new petrol indigo(base), which after discounts etc., will not cost that much if you look at it from EMI point of view.

In the hatchback stage, you can look at a new indica or the Palio, as in your price range these are the only two which can seat 5 comfortably. Getz prime 1.1 is also in similar price range, but I am not sure what the on road price will come to.
Swift is also there, but then again the space issue is there.

That said I always advise people to go for a brand new car, even if they have to shell out a little extra
1. Lower interest rates, so EMI difference is not much
2. Peace of mind.
Tata is offering huge discounts and low EMIs on the Xeta, and if you do not want a "big boot" its okay. But it will not be able to fit more than one big suitcase.

Stay away from used Sumo's they are badly abused and most of them have their speedo's recaliberated.
Old 26th June 2007, 18:05   #12
BHPian

Go for TATA, they are offering discounts/low interest rates as 3 lacs is a tight budget. With low interest rates you can think of increasing your budget too ( in case of Loan ).
Old 27th June 2007, 10:52   #13

Thanks a ton

Thanks a lot to all you guys. You have certainly reduced by headache. I think that i would rather prefer a a sedan to a hatch as i do a lot of pickups and drops to railway stations and airports. So that means i can look for a used Indigo, Accent, Baleno or Ikon. What is the spares position of petra? Ithink that is also a good car. Moreover due to my restricted daily running should i look for a petrol or diesel?
Old 27th June 2007, 11:05   #14
BHPian

2 reasons to opt for Petrol over Diesel in your case --
1) Low running
2) Its not generally advised to buy Diesel vehicles 2nd hand.
Old 27th June 2007, 11:39   #15
Team-BHP Support

Petra is a great car.
But
1. Discontinued so problem of spares
2. Petra was Fiat's neglected child, so double problem.
Go for something from Hyundai/Maruti/Honda/Tata (in that order).
A 2 year old indigo petrol can be had for 2.5L now due to low resale.
Do you have contacts in software companies(the biggies). Indigo petrol is a very popular car in those circles. When I was in Bangalore 2 people from my team bought the indigo P because they wanted a large car for 5L.

Most Viewed