Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2022, 10:13   #16
BHPian

Re: Need a replacement for my VW Polo GT TSI - Confused!

IMHO none of the above options would replace the GT. Essentially the GT/Polo 6R is a foreign bred car that found its way into Indian hearts and the way you describe your Polo is proof of this.

If you are not posted in T1 cities then owning an ageing German car can become a nightmare, especially with the notorious DSG that came on this car. You might want to consider going in for an i20 N Line or a Polo 1.0, only they will be able to give you a comparable driving experience.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 10:56   #17
BHPian

I've been driving GT TSI for 6 years and after having test driven several cars, I am sure that there is no replacement for a GT, unless you are ready to shell 30L and get an Octavia (which is also going to be extinct soon).

So if you are just looking to buy a new car without worrying about what you are going to lose by letting go of the GT TSI, then I would recommend Sonet Diesel AT. It's super refined, great interiors, looks nice and has a proper gearbox.
anshumandun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 13:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Had precisely this dilemma with my then 7 year old GT TSI.

For driving pleasure upgrade you might need to go for a 1.5 TSI DSG equipped VAG, I doubt any other car would be an upgrade in that department. Servicing in VAG cars is a once-in-a year affair (or 15K kms), would that really be an insurmountable problem wherever your location might be?

However the India 2.0 VAG cars do not feel like an upgrade from the Polo due to cost cutting (be prepared to forgo features in 2022 which you had much earlier from the same brand). Further these cars effectively replace the Polo (and is very much in the same segment from a platform and engineering perspective

I am inclined to recommend the Kushaq/Taigun in 1.5 trim, they are definitely an upgrade in roominess (not really a Polo virtue)

Last edited by vb-saan : 26th August 2022 at 11:44. Reason: As requested
GeeTee TSI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 14:17   #19

As per as latest trends, the issues with Hyundai/Kia DCT has come down over the last few years. Also, as you have driven DSG over the last 7 years, AMT will not appeal to you when it comes to fun to drive factor. Hence, XUV300 and Nexon should be ruled out.

You can look at the I20 N Line Automatic as well for pure Fun to Drive quotient.
PRAJIT SENGUPTA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 14:30   #20
BHPian

Based on your requirements I can think of two options which covers most of it.

1. Brezza Automatic - From refined engine to smooth 6 speed TC. Also, extensive service network. Only issue is the power if you desire more.

2. Kia Sonet 1.5L CRDI Auto - Again powerful engine in its segment with 6 speed TC. Kia is here to stay because of the lucrative market and the sales number they are getting from it. SO don't have to worry about the network as it will expand only.

There are few 1L 3 cylinder turbo engines too in the market but I found them to be a bit strained with full load so will not recommend.
Old 25th August 2022, 14:43   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingNirvana View Post
3. Mahindra XUV 3OO
I am considering the diesel AMT here. I am concerned about lack of rear AC vents and the infamous AMT jerkyness. Also, I am already having a Mahindra in my garage. (This is not a logical argument, I agree)

XUV300 has the best in class AMT as against whatever AMT's are available out-there.

If the pilot(s) of the new vehicle are usually sedated drivers & FE isn't really much of a worry then consider XUV300 petrol top end. With the right pilot on the driving seat it can give your GT TSI a run for its money. In short, the petrol and diesel version BOTH LITERALLY FLY!!

Though I'm personally more inclined to Manual rather than AMT.

In terms of G/NCAP ratings or safety (in other words); XUV300 wins undisputed.
singh.b86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 14:55   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingNirvana View Post
2. Kia Sonet
Now regarding the diesel AT, I drove the car and loved it. My monthly travel will be around 800-1000 kms in mainly typical rural Indian roads with some mix of highway.
The confusion in this car comes from the fact that how wide is Kia's service coverage network and the DPF issues in BS6 engines.
We've had the Sonet Diesel AT at home for almost 2 years now, after 15k kms only in Mumbai bumper to bumper traffic, we've had zero DPF issues.
Turbolove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 18:39   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
We've had the Sonet Diesel AT at home for almost 2 years now, after 15k kms only in Mumbai bumper to bumper traffic, we've had zero DPF issues.
What kind of fuel economy are you getting in Mumbai traffic? I am in the same boat as OP, only difference is I want a manual Diesel car.
Old 29th August 2022, 07:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad47 View Post
What kind of fuel economy are you getting in Mumbai traffic? I am in the same boat as OP, only difference is I want a manual Diesel car.
Fuel economy is mediocre at best given that we take over an hour for our 13 km commute everyday. We get around 9-11kmpl.
Turbolove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 07:58   #25
BANNED

The manual would give atleast 2kmpl more mileage than the automatic in the diesel sonet, considering the Torque Converter automatic gearbox, more power and torque in the Diesel automatic as against the Diesel manual (The automatic has 14 bhp more power and 10 nm of torque.)
Old 29th August 2022, 14:42   #26
BHPian

Have you considered the Sonet/Venue iMT variants? I was also looking for an Auto and was almost set on Hyundai/Kia DCT but was hesitating due to the complexity. When I drove the iMT variant, I felt this was much better than DCT in many ways. No clutch, manual shift giving precise shift control, Mainly No Jerkiness or slow shifts like AMT (Shifts are very smooth), no complex mechanisms to worry about and finally can save a lot of money compared to DCT. If you havent driven it, I will recommend you to take a test drive and get a feel for yourself.
Old 29th August 2022, 17:39   #27
BHPian

Sorry but none of the cars you mention would give you the acceleration and the kick of the GT TSI Turbo.

The closest that comes to quick acceleration and driving pleasure within the budget you mention (even here pls do note the experience is different vis a vis a petrol turbo) is the Nexon EV.

If you can stretch your budget and get into the 25-30 L budget then the Octavia TSI is an option but then this is a whole new segment that you will have to start evaluating.
raghuveerk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 10:53   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Consider adding another 2 and go for the Mahindra Thar. Diesel or petrol, your choice. Sub 4m, automatic, powerful, safe, high GC, and Mahindra service is everywhere. Meets all of your requirements. It is very easy to drive around, women love it. And it is MAD fun.
I was also inclined to the Thar. But everytime I made up my mind to book one, the pathetic entry to the rear seats crops in my mind. Also, the 5 door Thar is being spied at various locations. Would seriously consider it when I would replace my Scorpio 4X4. Till then, I have to look at my dream car from a distance only.
Old 4th September 2022, 10:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_3en View Post
Honestly Thar makes the most sense. Also, did you have a look at i20 N-Line?
Yes, looked at i20 n line following your suggestion and I liked the car. I am seriously considering it now.
Old 4th September 2022, 10:57   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
You might want to consider going in for an i20 N Line or a Polo 1.0, only they will be able to give you a comparable driving experience.
Yes, I am seriously considering the i20 n line now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks