Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2022, 04:17   #1
BHPian

Is it worth waiting for the Scorpio-N 4x4, or choose between the Gurkha/Thar?

I am in a bug confusion and not able to make a choice even after reading many forums.

I currently have an Ertiga CNG 2020 and a Datsun RediGo in my garage. Quite satisfied with both. I am looking for a third vehicle for everyday travel (~10 km), long highway drivers and overlanding in mountains, and it will be shared by me and my wife.

My search narrowed to the Thar P AT Convertible Top (I live in Delhi-NCR) but after reading reviews and posts on Team-BHP, my decision changed to That D AT as it has better FE, refinement, and Mahindra's strong hold in Diesel engines. After reading posts on soft top hard top, I am now inclining towards hard top!

There are two doubts around Thar:
1. Is the soft top practical?
2. I sometimes camp or sleep in my car and Thar can't really fulfill that.

Then came the Gurkha and the Scorpio N Z4 4WD.

Luckily I am in the first 25000 so getting the Scorpio in the introductory price however, I need it by 30th Nov. As Mahindra is prioritizing Z8 and Z8L, I doubt that the delivery date for my Scorpio N would be by this year.

Also, Z4 4WD is missing the MLD (it seems to be concerning) but I don't have any off-roading experience, so need some suggestions here.
Is the missing MLD really a concern? Or should I consider after-market lockers (ARB, etc.) after 1-2 years?

Gurkha meets the delivery deadlines and the off-roading use-case but it is least when we see the features (this car is going to be driven everyday).

I guess I can also manage to get the Thar (by Nov 30) by adding some accessories and the demand is decreasing.

I know a little about cars. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 23rd August 2022, 08:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Is it worth waiting for the Scorpio-N 4x4, or choose between the Gurkha/Thar?

For NCR buyers, petrol is the way to go. Don’t bother with diesels. That cuts off the Gurkha.

Between Thar and Scorpio, the latter is a good 8L more expensive. Considering this is a purchase from the heart, do you have the case to justify the extra expense? Do you need that middle row? Or is the Thar big enough. If you can make do with the space on offer, Thar is the car for you.

You can always upgrade the suspensions later on for a more comfortable ride.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 08:38   #3
BHPian

re: Is it worth waiting for the Scorpio-N 4x4, or choose between the Gurkha/Thar?

If a proper 4x4 is the need for cold weather trips to Spiti or Ladakh, Thar Petrol 4x4 AT is the best.
Orelse you can consider the Grand Vitara/Hyryder AWD but with a 100 bhp NA Petrol motor. Sounds underpowered to me already.

Jimny 5 door would been the best choice but long time before we hear some proper news on it.

Diesel Thar as we have read about in the Forum itself is not the best suited companion on super cold places because of DPF and cold start issues.
Here, I am looking forward to replace my Thar D AT for a Scorpio-N Z4 D AT because of 5 door requirements. But spotting of test mule of 5 door Thar has got me confused.

Best of luck for your adventures ahead.
My vote is for a Thar Petrol AT Hardtop.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 23rd August 2022 at 08:39.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 09:40   #4
BHPian

That P AT was certainly the initial choice considering the 15 years NCR rule, DPF and cold start issues however, my run is 40000+ KM/year and FE is a big concern.

Based on my research, Petrol (AT or MT) will be around 8kmpl whereas Diesel AT will be around 12 kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Between Thar and Scorpio, the latter is a good 8L more expensive. Considering this is a purchase from the heart, do you have the case to justify the extra expense? Do you need that middle row? Or is the Thar big enough. If you can make do with the space on offer, Thar is the car for you.
If I spend extra on the roof rack then only I see Thar carrying all my stuff. I usually travel with a tent, sleeping bags, a portable kitchen, camera gears, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
If a proper 4x4 is the need for cold weather trips to Spiti or Ladakh, Thar Petrol 4x4 AT is the best.
Orelse you can consider the Grand Vitara/Hyryder AWD but with a 100 bhp NA Petrol motor. Sounds underpowered to me already.

Jimny 5 door would been the best choice but long time before we hear some proper news on it.

Diesel Thar as we have read about in the Forum itself is not the best suited companion on super cold places because of DPF and cold start issues.
Here, I am looking forward to replace my Thar D AT for a Scorpio-N Z4 D AT because of 5 door requirements. But spotting of test mule of 5 door Thar has got me confused.

Best of luck for your adventures ahead.
My vote is for a Thar Petrol AT Hardtop.
GV AlGrip was certainly a choice and I searched everywhere on Maruti K15 engine tuning but I didn't find any thread anywhere.

I own an Ertiga (55000+ on odo), and my best friend is owning a Vitara brezza with the same 100 BHP NA Petrol engine. No complaints with the engine on highways but in all my trips to the mountains, I miss the torque. An AWD Create size SUV with 137 NM torque doesn't fit my purpose.

Based on your experiance with Thar, I think waiting a few months for the Scorpio Z4 MT 4wd at introductory price should be the best bet here. Any comments on the missing MLD?

———————
Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Axe77 : 24th August 2022 at 04:39. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Old 23rd August 2022, 10:19   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpopulrxplorer View Post
Thar P AT was certainly the initial choice considering the 15 years NCR rule, DPF and cold start issues however, my run is 40000+ KM/year and FE is a big concern.

Based on my research, Petrol (AT or MT) will be around 8kmpl whereas Diesel AT will be around 12 kmpl.
Buy my Thar D AT then
And I will bring home a Scorpio-N Z4 D AT (At Introductory Price)

Just kidding though.
Actually I have not even explored 1/3rd ot the potential of the Thar. I have a short daily commute as well but weekend sees some highway runs. No DPF issues so far *Touchwood*.

My Odo is just under 8K Kms in roughly 10 months. Yes, pretty dismal.
Could have and should have got a Petrol AT but the low FE numbers just don't give me confidence.
Btw, if you get a used Thar, you will have spare cash for Mods like roof rack with proper support for a roof top tent.

Even with the NCR Rule, all you need to do is sell the Thar after say 5-6 years to someone out of NCR.

Torque is addictive and Maruti's K15C will surely let you down on this by a long shot.

Even on the RWD Scorpio-N, a MLD at the rear would have been a great option. Z4 MT 4WD has open diffs. So it will be clear once we see comparo videos between Z8/Z8L 4X4 vs Z4 4x4.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 23rd August 2022 at 10:31.
Old 23rd August 2022, 10:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If I spend extra on the roof rack then only I see Thar carrying all my stuff. I usually travel with a tent, sleeping bags, a portable kitchen, camera gears, etc.
That’s a lot of stuff. Roof racks are a grey area, especially in NCR as well as in Chandigarh. Cops tend to challan private vehicles with roof racks. They are allowed only on commercial registration. Better not go down that road.

Scorpio N gives you the space. But the petrol is available only in 2wd. 4x4 is diesel only. Will you be OK with it? If you insist on 4x4 (diesel), be very clear that you’ll be buying for a 5 year period. After that, the resale value really tanks. You’ll be buying a very expensive car, and this is the only way you get decent value out of it. Hold on to it longer and depreciation will ruin your total cost of ownership.

It is a compromise either way.
Old 23rd August 2022, 22:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Buy my Thar D AT then
And I will bring home a Scorpio-N Z4 D AT (At Introductory Price)
Thanks for the offer however, if I am ever getting a used 4wd, it would be the Gypsy King
I hope you find a buyer soon.

Considering your run, Z4 P AT should be the choice.

I wasn't aware of the roof racks policy in NCR.

Considering all the points, Scorpio N is the ideal choice but the delivery date may change the equation. I will update the thread after getting the delivery date.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

———————
Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Axe77 : 24th August 2022 at 04:40. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Old 14th October 2022, 21:39   #8
BHPian

Re: Is it worth waiting for the Scorpio-N 4x4, or choose between the Gurkha/Thar?

Quote:
I am in a bug confusion and not able to make a choice even after reading many forums.

Then came the Gurkha and the Scorpio N Z4 4WD.

Also, Z4 4WD is missing the MLD (it seems to be concerning) but I don't have any off-roading experience, so need some suggestions here.
Is the missing MLD really a concern? Or should I consider after-market lockers (ARB, etc.) after 1-2 years?

I know a little about cars. Any help would be appreciated.
Please watch this video to see the offroading capabilities of new Scorpio, Thar and Gurkha. I feel these SUVs are tested pretty nicely here and the video gives a fair idea of how these SUVs will fare in getting you out of sticky situations.

Regards
nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 17:55   #9
BHPian

Re: Is it worth waiting for the Scorpio-N 4x4, or choose between the Gurkha/Thar?

Hi guys, what is the current waiting period for a 4x4 manual Scorpio-N ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks