Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2022, 21:29   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Tucson vs Kia Carnival vs Toyota Innova Hycross

I have already booked Toyota Hyryder and waiting for a test drive of the same.

I am also in the market for an SUV/MUV with around 40lacs in hand.

Requirement: Initially before the price reveal of Tucson, I was planning to book the same but for me, it feels around 5 lacs more than what it should be. That pushed my budget from 35 to 40 lacs as the car is striking and the diesel AWD is competent.

That led me into a rabbit hole of car reviews on here and decided to have a look at KIA Carnival Luxury Plus. The family liked the car very much. We need a comfortable 5 seater and it ticks the boxes for the whole family. Luxury, Engine, comfort and the wow factor that comes with a loaded car. It can comfortably sit 6 is an added plus which we have sorely missed in all of our previous cars.

Sometime around all this, the Innova diesel booking was stopped. And coincidently I took a relatives Innova Crysta for a 1200kms round trip with 5 people and 1 child with loads of luggage and found it to be very practical offering. That led to Hycross coming into the fold of shortlisted cars.

The heart says Tucson, the family says Carnival and the mind says Hycross.

I want to know what your suggestions might be on the subject as the process of booking the car has to start ASAP if it's not the Hycross that is finalized.

Note: also looked at the Carena as well but removed from consideration due to safety concerns.
aadiaksh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 02:32   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson vs Kia Carnival vs Toyota Innova Hycross

While the KIA Carnival is a brilliant option. Great engine/transmission combo, boot bigger than a Honda City even with all 3 rows up and it's uber comfortable, only disadvantage is that the one we get in India is a last gen model and were only country that gets this model. Every other country where KIA sells the Carnival has got the latest gen model that debuted in North America in 2021.

The newly launched Tuscon is a great option too but do opt for the Diesel model, the petrol model is just "meh" to drive.

As for the Hycross I'd wait for it to be launched first, now yes it's a Toyota and their highest selling model at that, no seriously. The Innova (6036 units) sold twice as much as it's bigger brother the Fortuner (2581 units) in August 2022 and the next highest seller (regular Urban Cruiser) sold 3131 units. If you can wait for it to come out then I would wait, you can never be too sure.

I would also consider the following options:

1. Skoda Kodiaq - Since you're not necessarily looking for a 5 seater and not a 7 seater the Kodiaq is a great choice. Only disadvantage I can see is that we've now lost the 2.0 TDI diesel and it's now petrol only. So your wallet might take a beating if your usage is high. Approximate on road prices for Vapi, Gujarat are (41.35 Lakh Style, 42.44 Lakh Sportline, 44.1 Lakh L&K).

2. Citroen C5 Aircross - Now yes the recent price hike is unjustified but it's still a damn good car. The suspension and 170hp 2.0L Diesel combo is killer. Approximate on road prices for Vapi, Gujarat are (41 Lakh, Shine Dual Tone).
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 05:38   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The Kia Carnival and Hyundai Tucson are both incredible offerings in their respective segments. The Carnival is one of the best people-movers you could get, whereas the Tucson is a modern, feature loaded SUV.

The Carnival is huge in size with 5115 mm of length, 1985 mm of width, 1755 mm of height, wheelbase of 3060 mm and a ground clearance of 180 mm. Whereas the Tucson is much more maneuverable with smaller dimensions.

The Tucson on sale in India has been recently updated whereas India is the only market where the previous generation Carnival is still on sale while other markets have gotten the facelifted version quite a while ago.

It is too early to comment on the Toyota Innova Hycross, and I would recommend you to wait till the launch and price reveal to get a clearer picture.
bijims is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 10:31   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
Skoda Kodiaq - Since you're not necessarily looking for a 5 seater and not a 7 seater the Kodiaq is a great choice. Only disadvantage I can see is that we've now lost the 2.0 TDI diesel and it's now petrol only. So your wallet might take a beating if your usage is high. Approximate on road prices for Vapi, Gujarat are (41.35 Lakh Style, 42.44 Lakh Sportline, 44.1 Lakh L&K).

2. Citroen C5 Aircross - Now yes the recent price hike is unjustified but it's still a damn good car. The suspension and 170hp 2.0L Diesel combo is killer. Approximate on road prices for Vapi, Gujarat are (41 Lakh, Shine Dual Tone).
Did consider both, but no diesel is a no for me in Kodiaq. I'm left impressed everyday by my 1.5 TDI DSG Ameo so VW cars were first on the list but only petrol offerings like you said will be a beating on the wallet as usage is usually 15,000 to 20,000 per annum.

C5 is a good car but Citroen may take a couple of years for its service network to expand and long term reliability to be proven.

I agree with both above advices on waiting for the Hycross as it might just be good compromise between Carnival and Tucson with hopefully the same fuss free ownership experience. There is chatter for new carnival to launched soon probably at auto expo this coming January. What would you guys think if the latest carnival is on offering. Will your decision change in its favour?
aadiaksh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 11:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadiaksh View Post
There is chatter for new carnival to launched soon probably at auto expo this coming January. What would you guys think if the latest carnival is on offering. Will your decision change in its favour?
If the new 4th Gen KIA Carnival is launched at the January Auto Expo and the price hike is reasonable (say the ex-showroom price of the Limousine variant goes from 33 Lakh to 34.5-35 lakh) then 100% go for that.

The 3rd Gen model was a smash hit in India because it was (and still is) the only truly American sized 7 Seater available under 1 crore. From what I know the 3rd gen Carnival (the one we currently get) lagged behind it's competition (Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, Chrysler Pacifica etc) in North America but the 4th gen model has even had the American market impressed. While we unfortunately don't get the 290hp V6 Petrol, the 200hp Diesel is more than enough for Indian conditions.

And if you ever want more firepower from that 2.0L Diesel then a simple air filter swap + Stage 1 ECU Remap should be more than enough.

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 18th September 2022 at 11:48.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 12:08   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you have 40-lakhs in hand, don't go for the Hyryder. Pick a superior vehicle and hold onto it for longer.

Quote:
It can comfortably sit 6 is an added plus which we have sorely missed in all of our previous cars.
This single point pushes me into recommending the Carnival over the Tucson to you. Both are top-class cars. For your usage, the Carnival will offer a lot more luxury than the Innova Crysta.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 16:36   #7
BHPian

Hi GTO, Hyryder is for city driving and occasional 2 people highway runs. I skipped to clarify I'm in for 2 cars by financial year-end.

The family likes Carnival for what it offers. Hence the dilemma of Tucson, Carnival or new Innova Hycross. But like you said, the Carnival for what it offers is a more practical choice if the new model arrives in January Auto expo.
Old 20th September 2022, 14:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Of the options shortlisted, my suggestion would be Tucson as it’s more modern and you can hold it on for longer period. When you have budget for Tucson and Carnival, Hyryder doesn’t make sense.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 17:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Kia carnival is a good car but it is outdated and the new version has been present in International markets for a while now. Either get the Tucson or wait for the Innova if you really need 7 seats.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 18:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The heart says Tucson, the family says Carnival and the mind says Hycross.
I would suggest to wait for the Hycross, but meanwhile book both the Tucson and Carnival (both are in short supply), you can cancel the bookings later and get a refund. I drive a Carnival - which I absolutely love, but I am careful recommending it to others.
If you have a use case for it then definitely go for it. In my mind its a great fit - maybe the best -if you have a family of 4 or more and your highway - city use is biased towards highways by 75% or more, and have another more practical car in the garage (which you will have in the form of Hyryder). Mostly for anything else, I think there would be better options available.

Last edited by rrsteer : 20th September 2022 at 18:44.
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 21:01   #11
BHPian

The options you have for a comfortable 5-seater between 20L to 40L are XUV700, Harrier, Safari, Scorpio N, Carnival, Tuscon, C5 Aircross, Crysta, and Upcoming HyCross. Please note that HyCross will not come in a diesel guise.

If a 6th seat is mandatory, then the only options you have are XUV700 (6th is for kids only with almost no boot space), Safari (better than XUV700 in terms of space with almost no boot space), Crysta, upcoming HyCross, and finally the Carnival, which is the best of the lot in terms of space.

Carnival is the best in terms of space, comfort, and luxury.
The limitations of Carnival are
1. Size - It is a significant factor if parking space is a concern
2. Model - The current gen in India is the old gen. Unfortunately, the new-gen model is sold in all the other countries except for India. I don't understand what is stopping Kia from bringing the new model to India. Actually, I recommend you wait for the new gen if at all you finalize the Carnival.
3. Use case - Carnival makes sense only if you use it more on the highway and have a beater car for city use.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 09:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:

That led me into a rabbit hole of car reviews on here and decided to have a look at KIA Carnival Luxury Plus. The family liked the car very much. We need a comfortable 5 seater and it ticks the boxes for the whole family. Luxury, Engine, comfort and the wow factor that comes with a loaded car. It can comfortably sit 6 is an added plus which we have sorely missed in all of our previous cars.
You have already received a lot of advice on your requirements. I would only like to add that the Kia Carnival 2022 is round the corner and you should wait for 5-6 months and just book it when it launches. See the videos on YouTube and you will realize that its perfect. The family will like it a lott more than the Carnival they saw in the showroom right now. And trust me, if the family likes it, just take it. Forget the Innova and Tuscon. The 2022 Carnivals folding seats, configurable seats, luxury is just too good to ignore. The sliding doors are a boon in Indian cities.

I am single and I don't mind the van look and I might buy it when it launches. Why? Because I will fold the seats down and put a bicycle in there and almost make it my mini house in which I will travel the whole country in utter peace and luxury. When I am traveling, a Hero Xpulse will go in the back too. I checked, it will fit easily! And when I am taking friends or some family, the seats will be back up and utter comfort will be waiting for them.

Check out the videos of the car on YouTube.
sjain2054 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 09:36   #13
BHPian

Thank you for all the good advice. I have decided to take delivery of the hyryder for now and wait till January to decide on Carnival, Tucson or Hycross.
aadiaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 00:24   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Had similar conundrum last year and booked a Kia Carnival (Prestige trim, I believe) but they couldn't deliver for whatever reason within the time frame we were looking for and took it as an indicator of things to come (read new launch of the current international model). This model has been in Asia, even in Pakistan, for more than a 1-2 years now and one would hope it launches in India.

Kia Carnival - if you can wait go for the newer model.
Toyota Innova - I would not buy the almost 7 year old car now. Skip it.
Hyryder is a 4 seater for all practical purposes. Skip it if you need a 5 seater highway car. However, this is a good city daily driver.

Tucson might be your best bet in terms of a new, modern car, which is a proper 5 seater.

The Indian cars, XUV 700 and Tata Safari are also there for around 30L.
Old 22nd September 2022, 17:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I have already booked Toyota Hyryder and waiting for a test drive of the same.

Requirement: Initially before the price reveal of Tucson, I was planning to book the same but for me, it feels around 5 lacs more than what it should be. That pushed my budget from 35 to 40 lacs as the car is striking and the diesel AWD is competent....
I you have shortlisted the Tucson why don't you have a look at the Jeep Meridian. Consider it as a 5 seater and its just fabulous.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks