MG Hector 6 1.40%
Mahindra XUV700 132 30.70%
Other (please specify in your post) 6 1.40%
Voters: 430. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2022, 15:19   #16
BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others

The mileage of most of these vehicles other than Hyryder is around 10 km/l. The Hyryder is expected to be around 20 km/l. Considering a lifetime of 70000 km @ 10000 per year one would use 7000 lit of petrol in all the other petrol vehicles and 3500 lit for the Hyryder. 3500 lit corresponds to 3.5 Lacs saving over 7 years. That is assuming petrol stays at Rs 100 per lit.

We should, therefore, be comparing the Hyryder with cars costing say 11.5 L to 15 L. I would say only the entry models of the cars listed leaving out the Diesel only Harrier. You could compare it with the Nexon for example and a few other cars between 11.5 and 15 L. Then it would be apples to apples. Is my reasoning right or wrong?
ashokabs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 15:52   #17
Team-BHP Support

None of the above.

Each and every one of them has a deal breaker for me personally. I am having a hard time thinking of a replacement for S-Cross. All I need is a car that does all things at least as good as the S-Cross. XUV comes closest, but 7 kmpl! The Korean twins are <3 star safe.
Eddy is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 16:36   #18
BHPian

The top selling model (Creta) with a mile long waiting list is at the bottom of the list. What gives?
SedateGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 17:04   #19
BHPian

I am in a very similar position. I have pre-booked Hyryder & waiting to get a test drive. I can easily stretch my budget till 26-27l. I have an infant & need a reliable & safe car. So I have ruled out the Korean twins. I was looking forward to Kushaq & Taigun, but have crossed them out due to some missing features (360 camera, panoramic sunroof) & also due to the reliability issues. I recently did a test drive for XUV700 AX7L diesel (didn’t have a great experience with the dealership) & wife didn’t like the second row seat comfort. Also, the wait times are frankly not acceptable to me.

MG - I am reluctant due to the current geo political tensions. I have received a lot of negative feedback on Harrier, so that is ruled out as well. Compass is going out of budget for the features I want.

Coming back to Hyryder - I have to check the practical boot space, second row comfort & bad road drive ability before I pull the trigger.
rr06 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 17:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoBloop View Post
My choice would be the Taigun.

That said, it's really astonishing to see how the Indian people are preferring SUVs (pseudo) nowadays. They are literally spoilt for choice, just like GTO said.
Anyways, I would take a Virtus GT over these pseudo-SUVs anyday.

Truly agreed brother. Irecently went to Test drive VW Taigun 1.0 Highline. Although the Showroom didnt have the 1.5 for Test drive, riding the 1.0, I could not feel it any inferior than Korean rivals. But yes, I did got the chance to see a Virtus 1.5 TSI Grey. I was like OMG, this gives me feels of my Need For Speed (PC Games) days. Couldn't resist to keep staring at it.
iampulo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 18:02   #21
BHPian

It's Compass, Hyryder and Hector in that order for me for my next car. Creta loses out because of 3 star rating, lack of 360 degree camera and long wait time. Seltos because it lacks panoramic sunroof + 3 star. Astor comes close but somehow doesn't feel like an upgrade. Harrier is too big, Kushaq/Taigun are too small plus they lack panoramic sunroof. XUV 700 is 7 seater and has absurd waiting time.

The car that pulls at my heart strings is Compass although it lacks remote AC on/off via app, is over priced and has questionable quality check. Hyryder lacks boot space and the sunroof liner will not protect from Mumbai sun, Hector is big as well but with ADAS round the corner can be considered.

I would also add MG ZS EV to the mix as a wildcard contestant. Would have considered eXUV400 but that lacks several of my must have features.

There is no perfect car and one must compromise on something or the other.
yashg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 20:24   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampulo View Post
Truly agreed brother. Irecently went to Test drive VW Taigun 1.0 Highline. Although the Showroom didnt have the 1.5 for Test drive, riding the 1.0, I could not feel it any inferior than Korean rivals. But yes,
True, the 1L engine of the VW cars is more than enough for daily drives. Slight initial lag is there, but it doesn't feel underpowered in any way!!

Quote:
I did got the chance to see a Virtus 1.5 TSI Grey. I was like OMG, this gives me feels of my Need For Speed (PC Games) days. Couldn't resist to keep staring at it.
Well, Virtus truly is a piece of beauty, no denying that!

Last edited by TechnoBloop : 25th September 2022 at 20:25.
TechnoBloop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 20:58   #23
BHPian

If the polling is any indication the Hyryder is a success without the prices for the entire range even being announced.
SedateGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 21:55   #24
BHPian

O Virtus, you are like that glamorous doll I got my first real crush on. But let that remain an untold teenage love story, our little lovely secret. Atleast till the time the elderly townsfolk proclaim that your parents are now honest and caring.

BHPians listen to their hearts and I do respect that- wholeheartedly.

But the typical Indian family has their heads pre-configured for what the Hyryder/Grand Vitara has to offer. The debate and the doubt is only around the strong hybrid technology, specifically the long term reliability and replacement costs of the battery.

Can't afford to go wrong in a sellers' market. Voted for Hyryder.
mkumar79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 00:43   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post
The top selling model (Creta) with a mile long waiting list is at the bottom of the list. What gives?
Many of us BHPians aren’t fan of build quality of Korean twins. Now if we talk about the whole country, it’s a different thing all together. Sadly features win over safety for the majority.

Last edited by vipinS : 26th September 2022 at 00:50.
vipinS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 00:48   #26
BHPian

I am one of the few who voted for other options in the poll. My top choice for petrol car under 20-25 lakh budget would be hands down the Virtus GT and for diesel it would be Jeep Compass .
Since my running is low for a diesel, I would buy Virtus over any other car in that segment .Also it has a ground clearance of 179 mm which is almost in league of other crossovers in the poll.

Last edited by vipinS : 26th September 2022 at 00:50.
vipinS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 01:21   #27
BHPian

In the poll - votes for Jeep compass / Taigun.
In the showroom - buys Creta / seltos.

All the cars in the list has some pros and cons, but the closest one to my practical need is creta.

I'm happy with my creta, not a perfect car, but it ticked most boxes for me.

Creta + seltos sells about 20k/month which is more than all the others in the list.

And lastly, I strongly disagree with creta / seltos being called unsafe cars. GNCAP could've been better, but to dismiss them as completely unsafe is just not right.

Creta /seltos has the highest kerb weight among the similarly sized cars, its not a tin sheet.

Last edited by tiagoatrix : 26th September 2022 at 01:29. Reason: Additional points
tiagoatrix is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 06:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

I have been through ownership of so many types of cars with varied experiences that it now scares me to put a finger on the button to vouch for quality , reliability, longevity etc. A number of 'myths' have also been shattered along the way. So the best option is to drive what you instinctively like. Only time will prove your choice right or wrong.
Old 26th September 2022, 07:12   #29
BHPian

Hmm. You can't have the cake and eat it too. Each of the options have a chink in the armour: safety or reliability or poor A.S.S concerns. Even HyRyder (strong hybrid), has the least evil of concerns that matter to me: NHV & cost premium [controversial, but that's my conclusion].

If I had to make a mandatory choice among the options listed, it would be HyRyder, but actually not, because I think it's time for an EV.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 26th September 2022 at 07:14.
Old 26th September 2022, 10:37   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
This is a bit of an odd ball poll. The “competition” price range varies from 15 lakhs to 30+ lakhs; so not sure which gravely flexible individual will have these cars pitted against one another.
Agreed to an extent, but that is the nature of the automotive market today. Double the price band is commonplace with so many car options. Take the compact sedan space, we have options starting at 6 lakhs and going up to 12 lakhs. And in the middle of all this are longer (non-compact) sedans like the Ciaz & 4th-gen City which overlap with higher variants of sub-4 meter sedans.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks