BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Torn between three options:
XUV700
MG Hector
HyRyder
Consider Hector's Hybrid Manual Petrol as well. Better push at lower speeds (needed due to the weight), better mileage and it remains easy to drive despite being manual.
Old 26th September 2022, 18:18   #32
BHPian

Voted for others.

Creta and Seltos are ruled our due to underwhelming safety rating and quality control problems of newer Hyundai-Kia cars.

Kushaq and Taigun are claustrophobic, built to a cost cramped and overpriced AF. If I want driving experience and 1.5 TSI variant and okay with VAG reliability and service, I'd rather get the Virtus GT instead.

The Maruti twins are strictly city oriented SUVs only. I'd buy either of these only if I want a city car.

The Astor doesn't appeal to me at all.

I'm not a fan of the XUV700 due to it's boring looks, underwhelming interior quality and fit&finish and boring driving experience (leaving aside the engines). I'd rather get the ScorpioN instead.

Horror stories of Harrier and Safari ownership experiences made me rule them out.

So overall, I'd prefer the Virtus GT over all these so called compact SUVs anyday. If I want an SUV then I'd prefer the ScorpioN or the Compass if I can extend my budget.
IREV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 21:59   #33
BHPian

Each and every car on this list is just so good that you choose depending on what you want in life right now and you will not go wrong.

1. Toyota Hyryder: You don't want any hassles and are a simple human being
2. Hyundai Creta: If you live in a non metro town and you want to announce to your neighbors you have arrived
3. Kia Seltos: If you want to tell the world that you are "same same but different" (Creta is so common)
4. Skoda Kushaq: If you want to have FUNN
5. VW Taigun: If you want to have FUNN but less after sales hassles
6. MG Astor: If you want to be different
7. Jeep Compass: If you want to get laid
8. Tata Harrier: If you are patriotic and/or really care about safety
9. MG Hector: If you just want a BIG car with bling
10. Mahindra XUV7OO: If you want a car with everything

I'm a single fellow so no points for guessing which one I'd get.
sjain2054 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 19:06   #34
BHPian

Toyota hyryder is the sensible choice for the average Indian family. The vehicle is right sized, has good efficiency, reliability, safety, service support and looks reasonably good. No deal braker really. No range anxiety too.

Creta & Seltos lose out because of the crash rating. I hope the Creta facelift addresses it because I know couple of folks who actually preferred Creta over seltos because they thought Creta would be safer. The seltos looks were preferable for them but they still went for Creta considering the poor safety rating. If Creta's rating was known at that point, they may gone for another vehicle outside the Hyundai portfolio. I fail to understand why Hyundai is not trying to fix this for their cars. How difficult can it really be - considering that the cars have a much better NCAP rating in other geos.

XUV700 & Harrier are both really good from a performance perspective. The deal breakers are size (too big for daily use in congested cities) , efficiency and iffy service support.
Old 6th October 2022, 15:30   #35
BHPian

Car for my father within 18L | Need advise

Dear all,

I'm looking to buy a car for my dad with 18 lakhs budget. I can stretch the budget upto 20 lakhs.

The present workhorse is a Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI. It is 13 years old with 1,90,000 on the odo yet still running strong . The major reason to change is that dad needs an automatic for the ease of driving within the city.

My priorities:
  • Looking for an automatic transmission but definitely not an AMT because of the jerky shifts. More inclined towards torque converters and CVTs. Other reliable gear boxes are also welcomed.
  • SUV or tall boy design with easy ingress and egress.
  • Petrol/Diesel/Hybrid/EV - Open to all these but looking for a fuel efficient car.
  • Future proof and feature loaded one!
  • Easy to maintain and shouldn't burn a hole in the pocket with the service bills.
  • A car with a good ride quality that can absorb the potholes and bad patches.
  • The car will be predominantly driven by my dad. He'll be travelling to our farm land in Pollachi which is 40km drive on highways from our home. This trip will be thrice a week. Apart from this, the car will serve as his regular commute within city. The average running will be no less than 1500 kms per month.
  • Also not a fan of 3-cylinder turbo petrols because of their long term reliability since we plan to keep the car for at least 8 years after purchase. Please let me know if my opinion on the 3-cylinder turbos is wrong.
  • The car will not be taken on a long trip (more than 150 kms/day) because we've a 2019 Marazzo M6 doing the long drive duties. Hence, the EV options are considered.

Options that I've considered so far:

Grand Vitara / Hyryder:

I got a chance to visit the Nexa showroom last week and had a walk around of the Grand Vitara.
Some key observations:
  • It is one of the best finished Maruti after S-Cross IMHO. Yet the switches and plastics still looks and feels filmsy.
  • The dimensions of the Grand Vitara on the paper looked like it is marginally bigger than Hyundai Creta. But doesn't look the same when seen on road or in the parking lot. Looks more like a revamped S-Cross (which is the actual case!)
  • Couldn't get a test drive since TD vehicles are still not available in any of the Nexa showrooms in Coimbatore.
  • In the case of mild hybrid, I was looking at the Zeta variant and felt it to be more VFM among other variants. The strong hybrids are out of my budget. But the Hyryder has a S variant in the Hybrid which falls within the budget and something I thought of considering.
Haven't got a chance to view the Hyryder in person. I got to know that the TDs will be available from October 8th onwards. So will take a TD once it is available.

Creta 1.4 turbo DCT
Tata Nexon EV prime / Lux:
  • Completely satisfied with the build, ride quality and efficiency. Ticks almost every box but I fear the range anxiety might creep in at some point of time during my ownership.
  • The other concern is the reliability of batteries and the cost to change it after its lifetime.
  • All variants of prime and the XZ Plus variant of the Max falls in my range. More inclined towards Max for the better range that it offers.

Honda City - 5th Gen
  • May not be as fuel efficient as the other cars in my consideration. But the Honda's reliability and peace of mind ownership pushed me to add this to my options.
  • The Zxi variant is something that I'm looking at since it has all the bells and whistles of a car!
  • Wanted to know if there's a facelift around the corner for the 5th Gen.
  • Dad is 6 feet tall and I'm concerned about the ingress and egress in the City. As the years go by, dad's age factor might come into play and didn't want to trouble him with the low seating position in the City. Haven't taken a TD yet. Will definitely take one before deciding on the options just to make sure that if dad is comfortable with its seating position or not.

That sums up my list of cars that I've considered so far.

Please advise on the above options and also highly welcome other options (that I may have left out) that could be considered.
Old 7th October 2022, 06:37   #36
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Car for my father within 18L | Need advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish5000 View Post
Dear all,

My priorities:
  • Looking for an automatic transmission but definitely not an AMT because of the jerky shifts. More inclined towards torque converters and CVTs. Other reliable gear boxes are also welcomed.
  • SUV or tall boy design with easy ingress and egress.
  • Petrol/Diesel/Hybrid/EV - Open to all these but looking for a fuel efficient car.
  • Future proof and feature loaded one!
  • Easy to maintain and shouldn't burn a hole in the pocket with the service bills.
  • A car with a good ride quality that can absorb the potholes and bad patches.
  • The car will be predominantly driven by my dad. He'll be travelling to our farm land in Pollachi which is 40km drive on highways from our home. This trip will be thrice a week. Apart from this, the car will serve as his regular commute within city. The average running will be no less than 1500 kms per month.
  • Also not a fan of 3-cylinder turbo petrols because of their long term reliability since we plan to keep the car for at least 8 years after purchase. Please let me know if my opinion on the 3-cylinder turbos is wrong.
  • The car will not be taken on a long trip (more than 150 kms/day) because we've a 2019 Marazzo M6 doing the long drive duties. Hence, the EV options are considered.

Please advise on the above options and also highly welcome other options (that I may have left out) that could be considered.
Considering your priorities, the Tata Nexon EV Max XZ Plus variant and the Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder S Hybrid variant are your best bets out of the options listed.

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder S Hybrid
  • Automatic: It's an E-CVT and does the job well.
  • SUV and ease of ingress and egress: Yes, although you should check out the headroom if you do have taller members in your family.
  • Future-proof and feature loaded: Hybrids are a bridge between EVs and ICE cars, so more future-proof than an ICE car, it's not the most feature loaded variant but has all the basics covered nonetheless.
  • Maintenance: Toyota has good After sales and maintenance shouldn't be too high.
  • Ride Quality: Going by the reviews, ride quality seems to be good, Do take a test drive before finalizing.

Tata Nexon EV Max XZ Plus
  • Automatic: It's an EV, sothey are automatic.
  • SUV and ease of ingress and egress: Yes, ingress and egress shouldn't be an issue.
  • Future-proof and feature loaded: EVs are the future so it's definitely future-proof and Nexon EV Max is adequately feature loaded too.
  • Maintenance: EVs usually don't have high maintenance costs.
  • Ride Quality: Ride quality seems to be good, Do take a test drive before finalizing.

As regards the Creta 1.4 Turbo DCT and the Honda City 5th gen CVT, They are definitely worthy options but fuel efficiency won't be great in either of them, DCTs aren't the most reliable tech and in case of the City being a sedan, ease of ingress and egress may be an issue.

Do take test drives before finalizing!

Last edited by bijims : 7th October 2022 at 06:39.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 12:04   #37
BHPian

Re: Car for my father within 18L | Need advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
Considering your priorities, the Tata Nexon EV Max XZ Plus variant and the Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder S Hybrid variant are your best bets out of the options listed.
Yes, agreed. These two options makes more sense.

Quote:
As regards the Creta 1.4 Turbo DCT and the Honda City 5th gen CVT, They are definitely worthy options but fuel efficiency won't be great in either of them, DCTs aren't the most reliable tech and in case of the City being a sedan, ease of ingress and egress may be an issue.
This is also the one of the reason for not considering the Skoda and VW compact SUVs. Even if they tick all the other boxes, still misses out on the most important ones - Unreliable DSG and less fuel efficient.

Quote:
Do take test drives before finalizing!
Sure I'll definitely take test drives before finalising. Thanks for the detailed reply
Old 9th October 2022, 15:52   #38
BHPian

My vote goes to Creta. A perfect family car. This car undoubtedly has the best feature distribution and quality of the product is top notch. And that 1.5 ltr diesel is the best in terms of refinement and efficiency. Hyundai's after sales support is the best I have seen.

XUV700 seams to be over hyped, it doesn't look like an SUV. Mahindra deleting features, mindlessly increasing prices (as if they are Toyota) is a big let down. I never liked its steering feedback and Mahindra's manual gear box always has been inconsistent. If I go for automatic then its mileage will be 7-10kmpl in diesel. Looks like, too much power has been overkill for XUV and that has affected its efficiency.

Harrier is loosing its charm due to its niggles and TATA's service quality. Knee hitting console is the main issue while driving . TATA has not yet done its crash test (since they boast about safety) or not resolving its niggles is a big let down.

I would stay away from Germans and Chinese cars for obvious reasons.

Maruti GV and Toyota hyrider with those weak engines suit only for city usage and efficiency, that too in full hybrid models which cost around 20 lacs, doesn't make any sense.
sulliavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 16:23   #39
BHPian

Looking for advice

I am in the market for a mid-size SUV/ crossover. After much deliberation and test drives, I have narrowed my choices down to the Kushaq (1.0 Ambition) and Taigun (1.0 Highline). The problem is, I really am not able to pick one over the other.

The Kushaq is around Rs 50,00 cheaper than the Taigun. Plus they are offering a further 25k discount on HDFC credit cards which widens the delta to Rs 75,000. The Kushaq's Ambition variant comes with LED headlights and Hill-Hold Assist which the Taigun Highline lacks. I prefer the looks (exterior and interior) of the Taigun.
Also we are existing VW customers sot that also makes me lean toward them. Although their service experience has not been anything to write about.

Heart says Taigun, but head says Kushaq.

Can the resident experts please give their views and help me pick one?

Thanks
aan nhu mare? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 17:12   #40
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan nhu mare? View Post
Looking for advice

I am in the market for a mid-size SUV/ crossover. After much deliberation and test drives, I have narrowed my choices down to the Kushaq (1.0 Ambition) and Taigun (1.0 Highline). The problem is, I really am not able to pick one over the other.

The Kushaq is around Rs 50,00 cheaper than the Taigun. Plus they are offering a further 25k discount on HDFC credit cards which widens the delta to Rs 75,000. The Kushaq's Ambition variant comes with LED headlights and Hill-Hold Assist which the Taigun Highline lacks. I prefer the looks (exterior and interior) of the Taigun.
Also we are existing VW customers sot that also makes me lean toward them. Although their service experience has not been anything to write about.

Can the resident experts please give their views and help me pick one?

Thanks
Considering you are an existing VW customer, I think you should go for the Taigun, they have got new Diwali offers too which are detailed below:

VW Taigun 1 Litre TSI - Rs 25,000 Cash Discount + Rs 20,000 Exchange Bonus + Rs 10,000 Loyalty + 4 Year Service Value Package worth Rs 25,000.

The Taigun gets 10 inch touchscreen, wireless charger etc over the Kushaq too.

Do grab this opportunity if you are ok with the Taigun.

Last edited by bijims : 16th October 2022 at 17:19.
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 10:59   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan nhu mare? View Post
Looking for advice

Thanks
So, I went ahead with Head and booked the Kushaq two weeks ago. (Sorry bijims) I got a 15k loyalty bonus and 25k HDFC discount. I also managed to squeeze the essential accessories kit out for free. While booking, the SA's supervisor told me that they cannot club these loyalty bonus and HDFC offer together. The SA replied that it was the corporate benefit cannot be clubbed with the HDFC offer. Loyalty and HDFC offer could be clubbed. The supervisor went into the dealership manager's cabin and discussed something with him. The SA was then called into the cabin as well. After a few minutes discussion, the SA and his supervisor came out and said all was OK. We proceeded with the booking including both the aforementioned discounts.

Today, the SA called to give some Good news and some bad news. Good news is that they can deliver the car this month. However, the price has gone up by 20k this month. I was already aware of this and made peace with it.

Next, he dropped the Bad news by telling me that they cannot club the loyalty bonus with the HDFC offer! Apparently they are "not allowed to club offers this month." So he will give me the HDFC offer since that is of a higher amount and the loyalty bonus is "only" 15k. (So magnanimous of him)
He further went on to say that he will offer the accessories for free! I told him that we have already agreed to that. He then fumbled and mumbled something about getting back to me with a revise quote.

This is just a bait-and-switch!

Now, with the increased price the difference between the Taigun and Kushaq comes to just 33k. And that is without the increase in insurance premium which will shave it down further!
Old 19th November 2022, 19:05   #42

The Diesel Dilemma!

Hello everyone, I'm writing my first post here although I am not new to the forum. I had discovered it way back and have been stalking it for news, reviews, opinions and comments for about a decade now. I decided to join the forum now as I am facing the "Diesel Dilemma". What this essentially means that we want to buy a new set of wheels for the family, a family of 4, parents and 2 adults. We currently own the old faithful a 2012 Maruti Swift Diesel VDi which had replaced the ageing Maruti 800 Dlx. And I am confused between a petrol and a diesel car.

Our budget is 14L OTR in Dhanbad, Jharkhand with about some thousand more to spare if nothing is found in this budget. We want the car in the next 2 or 3 months maximum.
Additional criteria for the new car is

1. Should be a Compact SUV
2. Ample space for 5 adults and luggage for long trips
3. Should be adequately safe(Abs, ebd, esp, airbags) and the rest of the generic safety features should be present
4. Should provide good mileage
5. Be powerful enough to cruise on triple digits on the highway all day since the usage would be 70:30 highway and city.

Now, based on the above, I was able to shortlist the MSIL Grand Vitara Delta MT(13.9L OTR) and Hyundai Creta EX Diesel(14.3L OTR). I haven't driven either of these yet but on paper the 136Nm in the 1.5L NA engine seems underpowered to me this is where the "Diesel Dilemma" kicks in. The swift has 190Nm and the way it accelerates after 2K Rpm is phenomenal also add to that the good handling. The Creta fares better than the GV with about 250Nm which should be adequate given the bulk of the vehicle. I however doubt that it would be a good handler. Obviously, not as good as the Swift but that's ok.

The thing is that I like the GV for the way it looks and it's stance on the road plus the interiors are black therefore comparatively easier to maintain. Not to forget the fact that it is the biggest in the class not to forget that Marutis have a special place in our home. Also, the transition to Ev's is inevitable and even though I would not want to drive a gadget I cannot stop it from happening so a Petrol car has more chances of outliving its diesel counterpart if new emission norms kick in.

Creta on the other hand is due for a facelift next year but I am not sure if I like the new design. The front has too much bling according to me. Also, I am unsure about how the shiny bits will age given we intend to keep the car for as long as IC engines are around. The interiors look way better than the black ones but then maintaining them would be a challenge. But all that aside the engine I've heard is a gem, much refined and silent than the diesel engine in our car with ample power for highway cruising.

I am confused between the two and the worst part is that both of these are what the mind wants. The heart wants the Slavia TSi MT but that's not possible at this time so a conclusion has to be reached upon these two. I would request the invaluable inputs of the forum members in helping me decide.
Old 1st January 2023, 14:22   #43

Upgrade from WagonR CNG to a subcompact/compact SUV

Hello BHPians ,

This is my first post and I need your help in making a good decision. I am from NOIDA and quite confused about the subcompact/compact SUV segment, I also want to know about some of the good car dealerships in NOIDA and any reference to the good salesperson who can make the car buying process smooth will be highly appreciated.

I have been thinking for the past 6-7 months to upgrade my car from wagonR(CNG) to a subcompact or compact SUV
- With Manual transmission, Petrol
- Should be between 10-15 lakhs

Reasons for upgrade - I want to go on road trips, so I need a car which-
1. is rough and tough.
2. has enough boot space to carry luggage of 3-4 persons.
3. I can easily take to highways or mountains with any fear of being underpowered.
4. is safe.
5. has reliable service and affordable service costs and part replacements.

I am not a big fan of feature loaded cars. I just need some of the essential features which I always miss during my road trips like -
1. driver armrest,
2. rear parking camera,
3. airbags,
4. fog lamps,
5. seating comfort for long drives,
6. decent performance,
7. steering mounted controls,
8. cruise control,
9. rear defogger, washer and wiper
10. TPMS (good to have, not a deal breaker)

I have seen and test driven a few cars -
1. TATA Nexon
2. Skoda Kushaq / VW Taigun
3. Toyota Hyryder
4. Hyundai Venue
5. Brezza : But Suzuki is quite rude as they don't have any display or test drive vehicle and on asking they said that Brezza does not need any testdrive as we are already selling enough cars with a waiting period of almost 10-12 months.
6. XUV300 : Mahindra sales team is not at all interested in selling that. Main focus is XUV700, Scorpio and Thar.

So far I have observed that no car is perfect, everyone has their own pros and cons so one has to live with that.

I have shortlisted 3 cars that fit in my budget with the required features -

TATA Nexon
This is the most VFM car. I am getting all the features in <12 lakhs. Lots of ownership reviews about the performance on highways and mountains.

Things I liked -
- VFM
- Build quality
- ~16000 sales per month, which means that a local mechanic can also look into an issue in case of emergency

Things I don't like -
- Fit and finish issues : I observed lots of issues in a car which was ready for the delivery - paint job is not up to the mark, bumper and body alignment was not proper.
- TATA service reliability
- Dealership experience : I asked SA about the process from booking to delivery and he was himself confused about the payment process. When I clearly told him that I will be paying the money only after PDI then he said that for the allotment purpose we might ask for 50000 to 1lakh rupees.

So, in short I am afraid of these types of horror stories related to TATA.

Skoda Kushaq
I considered this car only after the NCAP rating came out. Overall simple look but has no road presence. I am getting all the required features in the Ambition 1.0 variant but the interior is quite inferior.

Things I liked -
- Only the steering wheel looks premium.

Things I don't like -
- In new manufactured cars(after August 2022) they have even replaced the 10 inch touch screen with an 8 inch touch screen which has very old style of UI and has knobs which looks like a aftermarket product,
- The roof liner is of very low quality, it feels like cardboard and even my wagonR has a better quality roof liner

- I have visited two dealerships in Noida and Delhi and both of them has display cars that have door issues. Doors were not closing properly, one has to use a force to close them properly.

Doubts -
1. AC issue at low gears
2. EPC failure
3. Do we need to use only synthetic engine oil
4. Skoda service cost and reliability even after taking the 4 years service package

One of my friends owns a Skoda Rapid and service cost is around 15-18000, which according to me is on the quite higher side. That is why I am a bit skeptical about buying a skoda.

Toyota Hyryder
I test drove this car yesterday and the car is quite big with a clear road view along with a full bonet view and a good road presence. But since the car is very new and there are not many reviews about the performance on highways and mountains I am a little confused about this one.

Things I liked -
- Big car with a good road presence
- Toyota service
- A reliable Suzuki engine in mild hybrid

Things I don't like -
- Maruti twin so not sure about the build quality of the car
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others-screenshot-20230101-14.17.43.png  

Topgun0005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 22:20   #44
BHPian

Re: Upgrade from WagonR CNG to a subcompact/compact SUV

If you are impressed with Hyryder, just go ahead with it. It’s performance on highways or mountains will not disappoint you. And if you want real fast performance, consider the Venue/Sonet. That 1.0 turbo petrol is a real gem on highways. If none of these cars fully satisfies you, just go for Nexon. It’s one of those cars in this budget which you can’t go wrong with. Hope this helps.
Old 9th January 2023, 06:28   #45
BANNED

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Don't base your decisions on such things. Various issues are reported in various cars irrespective of brand and the only brands with almost zero(yet not zero) issues are Toyotas and Marutis. For a retirement car, I would suggest neither a VW family nor Tata nor Mahindra if you are looking to own it for 10+ years. These become a pain to maintain in the longrun and also might turn out to be expensive.
Hi,
I am also looking for a retirement car. If you are not recommending VW cars, what car should I go for with the following requirements?
1. Auto(Not an AMT).
2. Atleast 4 star safety.
3. Reasonably good service back up.
4. Silent cabin
5. Good for occasional highway runs.

Thanks in advance.
Sricar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks