Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2022, 09:49   #1
BHPian

Looking for a new SUV/Crossover in the 20-25 lakh range to complement our Ciaz

Hi everyone,

We are looking for a new SUV/Crossover to complement our 2015 Ciaz petrol manual. Me and my brother are out of home for most of the year and both the cars will be primarily driven by my father (aged 50).

Why a new car -

Our Ciaz is efficient, spacious, and comfortable for our family of 5 members, even for long journeys. The problem is that it doesn't feel safe and solid over highways and isn't reliable over rough roads (with the rear suspension sagging completely under full load). With only 2 airbags and a light build, it doesn't inspire confidence when traveling with family.

These reasons have compelled us to consider buying a safe, solid SUV/crossover for highway drives. Ciaz will continue its duty for the in-city commutes but will retire from high-speed highway drives once we get our hands on the new car.

Must haves and feature requirements -

1. Budget is in the 20-25 lac bracket with a strong preference for top-end petrol/diesel trims. Automatic is preferred over Manual but we still have a doubt if it will be easy to drive an automatic car along with a manual Ciaz simultaneously.
Views from any member who has experience of driving automatic and manual together will be highly appreciated.

2. As already highlighted, safety, stability, and solid build are core requirements. In addition, it should have a good ground clearance and robust suspension for bad roads. Though, AWD/4x4 is not a must-have.

3. Spacious, smooth, and comfortable for 5 passengers with enough boot volume for weekend luggage.

We don't mind skipping some feel-good features but the car should be dynamically sorted with a trouble-free and safe run for at least 10 years.

I have not added my car preferences intentionally because I want to hear honest and unbiased suggestions from my fellow members!
shauryadabas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 08:49   #2
BHPian

re: Looking for a new SUV/Crossover in the 20-25 lakh range to complement our Ciaz

Hi
If you can flex your budget a little. Jeep Compass NightEagle Diesel Manual, would satiate most of your desires.

Amazing performance.
Feature list is good.
Feels premium.

Definitely, there are a few shortcomings

2 Airbags only, however safety suite and build good.
No sunroof.
No ventilated seats/360 cam.

If you can make peace with the shortcomings, its a good bet.
Javelin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 09:03   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Looking for a new SUV/Crossover in the 20-25 lakh range to complement our Ciaz

Would say that the XUV700, Compass & Harrier / Safari (if you can live with the niggles & inconsistent build) are pretty much the pick of the lot in the 20 to 30 lakh range. If he likes comfy cruisers, you must consider the Hector AT too, which is especially a hit with the elderly.

Except for the XUV700, the others will be almost readily available in showrooms.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2022 at 09:09.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 09:44   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Looking for a new SUV/Crossover in the 20-25 lakh range to complement our Ciaz

The Mahindra XUV700 would fulfil your needs perfectly, you get both petrol or diesel engine options with automatic transmission, feature loaded car with 5-star GNCAP rating, spacious and comfortable, available with 5 seater and 7 seater options as well.
The only downside is you would have to wait quite a while to get your hands on one.

The Tata Harrier/Safari would be the next best pick, they are readily available too.

The Jeep Compass would be a bit over your budget

The MG Hector/Hector Plus are good options to consider as well.

With regards to your question on automatics and manuals. The automatics nowadays are super smooth with seamless shifts and quite fast as well. With the increasing traffic in the cities, automatic transmissions are truly a boon, once you get the hang of it, you sure won't regret your purchase. Manuals, however still are the best for driver engagement and for enthusiasts.
bijims is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 12:09   #5
BHPian

Few pointers

1) You have not mentioned the annual running. if it is low, Diesel should be out of the picture as BS6 engines require minimum running. So TATA siblings are out of the picture. Compass is already out of the budget I guess.

2) You have mentioned safe run for at least 10 years. Not sure if that means Safety. If yes, then Korean siblings are out of contention.

3) That leaves you with Mahindra SUV's and Hector (plus). One thing to keep in mind is that both give abysmal mileage on petrol.

4) If you do not consider safety as just merely ratings, then KIA Carens is a good choice.

5) Base model (or the next one) Innova is also not a bad choice I feel.

6) No matter which car you chose, 99% of cars are available if you know how to deal with dealers.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 22:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
Hi
If you can flex your budget a little. Jeep Compass NightEagle Diesel Manual, would satiate most of your desires.
Thanks, Javelin. Honestly, I love the Jeep Compass Diesel for its solid build, ride/handling, and overall cool factor. The only big disadvantages are the narrow rear seat experience and the not-so-big boot space, both of which are must-haves for us. I feel the Jeep Meridian is the ideal vehicle for us but again it's high price is a drawback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Would say that the XUV700, Compass & Harrier / Safari (if you can live with the niggles & inconsistent build) are pretty much the pick of the lot in the 20 to 30 lakh range.
Thanks GTO, I also feel that XUV700 is one of the best options for us in the 20-25L range. Harrier/Safari are robust and great to drive, but again have niggles as you mentioned. Unfortunately, the MG was not under consideration till now but I will definitely persuade my father to take a test drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
With regards to your question on automatics and manuals. The automatics nowadays are super smooth with seamless shifts and quite fast as well. With the increasing traffic in the cities, automatic transmissions are truly a boon, once you get the hang of it, you sure won't regret your purchase.
Thanks bijims for your suggestions. Regarding the automatics and manual, my main concern is whether it will be convenient to switch between automatic car and manual car on a day-to-day basis considering we are planning to retain out manual Ciaz and my father will be the sole driver for both the cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Few pointers..
Thanks RaghuVis, The average running for the new car will be between 700-800km per month. Regarding the Innova, my father really likes it considering the amount of space and reliability it offers, but we are inclined more toward monocoque options rather than BOF ones. Kia Karens is a nice option indeed but we are not very interested in it somehow.
shauryadabas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 08:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Since your objective for the car is safety aim for the highest GNCAP score.
That would mean the XUV700 and considering your 700-800km per month usage you could get away with a Petrol MX5 if you want.

But if you cannot wait that long then the Harrier/Safari would be the alternates but would miss out on a GNCAP rating and the other issues already mentioned.

The Jeep Compass wouldn't match in space like you said and recent reports by members leave a poor taste and personally I keep them in the same hit/miss service category as TML especially due to the prices they command.

If you intend to research further here's an excellent thread addressing your use case by Poitive (Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700, Kicks, Scorpio N).
Even if you don't intend to read it at length, I would suggest to check out the TD experiences.

PS : I would suggest to check for the XUV700's realistic waiting period from the dealer. It varies on location and models. I have a feeling that petrol variants should have a shorter waiting time.

Last edited by shancz : 4th October 2022 at 08:40. Reason: added ps
shancz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 09:02   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauryadabas View Post
Thanks bijims for your suggestions. Regarding the automatics and manual, my main concern is whether it will be convenient to switch between automatic car and manual car on a day-to-day basis considering we are planning to retain out manual Ciaz and my father will be the sole driver for both the cars.
It would take a while to adjust, your hands go towards the gear lever, you may end up looking for the clutch etc. but you would gradually adjust to it over time. The only problem I see is once you get used to the automatic and the convenience it offers, the manual usually stays at home. Considering the automatic is going to be the new car, chances of the same happening are on the higher side.
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 09:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
We are looking for a new SUV/Crossover to complement our 2015 Ciaz petrol manual. Me and my brother are out of home for most of the year and both the cars will be primarily driven by my father
I just bought an Maruti Brezza ZXI+ AT in August 2022. My previous car was Maruti SX4 ZXI MT and also currently have Wagon R VXI MT. I got the AT after driving MT for more than 30+ yrs and it takes about a week to get used to it. Now alternatively driving both AT and MT as frequently drive my Brezza AT and Wagon R MT.

Last edited by Turbanator : 4th October 2022 at 19:05. Reason: fixed quote.
ACMerchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 11:06   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Automatic is preferred over Manual but we still have a doubt if it will be easy to drive an automatic car along with a manual Ciaz simultaneously.
Views from any member who has experience of driving automatic and manual together will be highly appreciated.
It is not that difficult to switch from Manual to Automatic. But once someone gets used to Automatic, one finds it uncomfortable with Manual gearbox. This happens with experienced drivers as well. No amount of vitual opinion would help in this case. It is for your Dad to decide after doing test drive at least 2-3 times at some interval. Considering he is only 50 it is very much possible though.

Regarding choice of car, other than what has already been suggested :
1) Grand Vitara Alpha MT AWD for manual or Grand Vitara Alpha AT for automatic.
2) Wait for Toyota Innova Hycross and see its pricing as this one is going to be based on monocoque chassis. Prices might be a shocker though !
3) Updated Harrier due in few months if they can sort out the remaining niggles and safety concerns.
d-g-p is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 12:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Automatic is preferred over Manual but we still have a doubt if it will be easy to drive an automatic car along with a manual Ciaz simultaneously.
Had automatic and manual regular drives for approx 8 years from 2010-2018. At the beginning, I occasionally forgot to hit the clutch in the manual, and for some time, I used to raise left foot in the automatic or hold the auto lever looking to shift.

If you have not used automatics before, it will also take some time to figure out the difference in how to use the accelerator for overtaking (how much to floor and when) and coasting (the seeming lack of feel of engine braking during the initial period causing you to ride on brakes), and all of that also depends on the type of auto - TC, CVT etc.

After this initial period of a few weeks, I think I got used to which car I was getting into and things were seamless.
echo77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 12:04   #12
BHPian

I have been in hunt for a new car for more than a year and have test driven most of the cars in 18-25 lac segment - sharing my observations:

Quote:
Must haves and feature requirements -

1. Budget is in the 20-25 lac bracket with a strong preference for top-end petrol/diesel trims. Automatic is preferred over Manual but we still have a doubt if it will be easy to drive an automatic car along with a manual Ciaz simultaneously.
Jeep Compass diesel, Creta/Seltos Turbo petrol, XUV700 and Harrier/Safari fits the bill here with strong performance and good ground clearance. Driving a manual and AT simultaneously is not something you should be worried about as it takes only couple of seconds to make the switch. Having said that, I feel reluctant to drive a manual after I made a switch to an AT.

Quote:
2. As already highlighted, safety, stability, and solid build are core requirements. In addition, it should have a good ground clearance and robust suspension for bad roads. Though, AWD/4x4 is not a must-have.
Eliminate Creta and Seltos from above list due to safety concerns which has been discussed in detail on the forum. Rest of the cars have good ground clearance and would keep you happy even on bad roads.

Quote:
3. Spacious, smooth, and comfortable for 5 passengers with enough boot volume for weekend luggage.
Nothing beats MG Hector when it comes to space, comfort and boot volume. The car feels solid and pretty easy to drive for its size. It is not a performance oriented car though the diesel engine is sweet. The sad part is that the AT is available only with the petrol engine. For 25lac it beats most of the cars which will give you best value for your money.

Bear in mind that petrol engines in almost all of these cars are guzzlers and you must be ready to make peace with a mileage of ~10kmpl.
TheVegabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 14:54   #13
BHPian

You should really try out the Alcazar. I test drove it last week for my cousin, I felt it as a complete package at 23 lakhs OTR NCR.
It comes with all the bells and whistles and is comfortable. Given it’s a Hyundai, wouldn’t have much of niggles which we are seeing nowadays in out of showroom cars and the waiting period could be skipped as well.
SShandilya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 17:13   #14
BHPian

I own Hector diesel Sharp for last 1+ year (22,500 kms)and would recommend you based on following key factors:-

1. Fiat diesel 2.0 and gear box ( same as Compass)
2. Absolutely niggle free, good build quality.
3. Acres of space. Boot gobbles up multiple suitcases with ease.
4. Comfortable long distance cruiser. I have done multiple 5000+ km trips in span of week or 10 days with sometimes doing 1000-1200 kms in one shot which is like sometimes 18-22 hours of driving.
5. 5 year MG shield which includes all consumables till 75K km scheduled services. Puts smile on face when service bills are zero.
6. Decent mileage. Depending on the route and traffic, I get anywhere between 15 to 20 km/lit. Easy on pocket in terms of fuel bills.
7. Excellent customer service and after sales.
8. No DPF issues, not even a warning despite I drove in Himalayas for a week for approx 800 kms.
9. It’s sorted product and is holding up well and gives confidence that it will last long.
10. The other primary reason I recommend MG Hector is it’s reliability specifically when we travel with family on long trips in remote areas, nights, long distances, last thing one wants is some beep or nightmarish halt due to some issue. Hector won’t give you that trouble.

Hope this helps.
FiatDiesel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 18:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Apart from the points already mentioned by some of the members here, my experience with driving both manuals and autos together has been that you tend to drive a manual in the same gear for as long as possible - basically riding the gear using clutch adjustment most of the time.

Within city that usually is the case if you're in second or third gear. It may not necessarily be a bad thing especially if you're doing steady speeds, but you're surely not getting the fun of driving manuals any more. Changing gears every so often starts feeling like a chore.
gvivek75 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed