Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2022, 08:14   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which Compact-SUV wins in the soundproofing department?

A pre loved Toyota Yaris top model is the way to go. That car had the best insulation levels of any car in the sub 15L price range. Nothing comes close. Next best option is the Jeep Compass. You have to go with genuine international products and not something India specific. Sound proofing is something that is on no buyer’s list of requirements and manufacturers know that.

You can always add damping sheets to the doors, the floor and the roof if you feel you need more quiet. Pls refer LeoShashi’s excellent thread on soundproofing his Ertiga.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 08:22   #17
BHPian

While we are on the subject of soundproofing, I have seen posts on soundproofing the body, what is a good way to soundproof the windows and windshield ?
Old 7th October 2022, 09:15   #18
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
While we are on the subject of soundproofing, I have seen posts on soundproofing the body, what is a good way to soundproof the windows and windshield ?
I have also been trying to find some ways to improve the sound proofing. I tried some tricks on my Corolla Altis but didn't help me in any noticeable way. Even in my C-class, I keep my speed in check so that, I can cut down tire noise.

Yaris used to have acoustic windshields but I don't any vehicles in sub 20L category provide the same. For windows, you need double glazing which is available only in a few top luxury cars. Going with soft tires is one way to reduce road noise. ( eg : Michelin has Primacy and Pilot Sport ST(silence tuned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
A simple and effective solution, get yourself a pair of good quality sound cancelling (it does have a technical name) headfone, this should solve your problems by more than 90%.

Using a headphone may solve the issue to a great extent, but it can make you less alert to what is happening around you and the traffic situation, adding a new dangerous problem.
sgm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 09:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
All compact SUVs in India: Venue, Sonet, XUV 300, Brezza, Nexon under the budget of 15 Lacs INR (On Road).

-
I'm aware what I'm asking for is usually reserved for the high-end brand/segments and the cars in the higher price range always offer the best cabin silence. However, there must be some "least worst" among all in the CSUV segment. The owners of these cars, can you please share your experience pertaining to the noise levels in the cabin?
I feel the Sonet to be the best insulated of the above cars, with Venue and XUV300 being close second. If you are open to pre-owned cars, the Ecosport is also dead silent on the inside, I believe it's because of the superb build quality which just shushes the outside world.

That said, I will also suggest you to get a noise cancelling headphone, just to be even more secure on your medical condition. No car can withstand Indian celebrations where we have heart numbing vibrations and mind numbing DJs!
07CR is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 10:40   #20
Team-BHP Support

Historically (meaning not just with this generation), Hyundai models have above average sound insulation. On the flip side, Honda cars score poorly in this department. Quoting from my Hyundai Venue review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Unbelievable cabin insulation. Completely blocks out traffic noise
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 10:51   #21
BHPian

This is probably above your budget, I have a Seltos, and from what I have experienced, this car has "the best" NVH levels in this segment, additionally, if you do door damping, I guess it should do.
ThatCarGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 12:07   #22
Bit
BHPian

I'm really glad to receive all these positive replies. They are really helpful.

Though most of the replies cater towards NVH which, although important, is the secondary issue. The main concern is the traffic and general noise in India. People have this quirk of using horns (pressure horns!) as a pleasure button, some of them being illegally way above the permissible decibel limit (if there's any such limit though).

I stopped at a red signal for 2 minutes yesterday and in those 120 seconds, I witnessed the crazy honking, people shouting, a loading rickshaw carrying steel bars that were screeching the road, and a Dussera procession with drums, dhols, and everything in between. I'd rather be tied up to a chair in a torture room as long as it's silent than that :|

So my question is: No matter how good a car fares in the NVH department, but for example, if it has thin windows to begin with, what amount of better tires / NVH tuning / sound dampening would make it silent? I guess none.

That makes me curious though, while soundproofing, I haven't seen people discussing the importance of the thickness of the window glass. Is it mostly good enough in Indian cars that it doesn't matter?
Bit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 12:13   #23
BHPian

Get a used Crv mate. Has the best noise insulation (at par with 5 series) coupled with super silent iv tec engine.

Of course, if you're open to used cars
Old 7th October 2022, 12:51   #24
BHPian

I will share one observation. This could be useful.

I own an altroz, and I have driven during rains a lot. I have done the same in my brother's Vitara Brezza pre facelift model, and it was so noisy, the passengers were not even able to talk on the phone.

If you are on a place where there's a lot of rainfall, avoid Vitara Brezza. The new facelift could be the same in this area.
Benoit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 14:22   #25
BHPian

My choice would be the XUV300, it has the best build and soundproofing in the segment. Most people here are suggesting Venue and Sonet but the Korean twins are refined engine wise and not NVH proof from other factors. Their refined engines create this false sense of quietness on smooth urban roads at medium speeds. But the moment small pebbles and stones will start hitting the partially clad wheel wells, you will be surprised at the poor insulation. Their poor build also doesn't help much to insulate you from truck horns, loud vendors, etc. On highways, significant road noise would seep into the cabin too.

A sturdy and stable body shell does wonders to NVH even if the engine is not that much refined. Ex : Nexon, XUV300 and EcoSport all have louder engines than the Koreans but are far better insulated from noise and vibrations.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 15:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

+1 to Venue, Sonet. Even more so with the 1.2NA engine. Door dampening and a good set of tyres would make it further silent. Going up the price bracket, Skoda/VAG cars are also well insulated.

Brezza, S-Cross are silent till 2-2.5k rpm, but beyond that the engine noise is always heard. Also, the tyre noise insulation is not the best in Maruti cars.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 7th October 2022 at 15:36.
Old 7th October 2022, 15:35   #27

can choose best suitable car after your test ride and then use good quality sound dampener sheet for whole inside(paste two or three layer). doors, roof, floor. this will significantly reduce outside noise.
Old 7th October 2022, 16:51   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
My choice would be the XUV300, it has the best build and soundproofing in the segment.

He's totally right! It's the only car in the sub 20L price bracket which has proper inside wheel cladding and on top of that, a cushy layer on that for further isolation from the road noises!

Once all the glasses are up, this car is the most cocoon of the lot, feels well over 20L car (if you chose to look over the dashboard, that it). Lastly, if you decide to use any sort of insulating sheet in this, then this is already the best starting point of the whole lot of the segment.
Blue Vitriol is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 20:01   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
Hello Petrolheads!

I'm glad to be a part of the Team-BHP community. I'm searching for the right car in the compact SUV segment and have a slightly odd requirement that neither the Google nor the reviews could help with hence I'm posting here in hopes of having direct opinions from the owners of the shortlisted cars.

A little about me:
I am a Non Resident Indian staying primarily in London. I'm an entrepreneur and I visit my home in India 3-4 times a year. So effectively, I spend half of the time here and the rest half traveling across Europe.

Requirement:
I'm looking for a compact SUV to accompany me during my stay at home in India. I have a medical condition (Hyperacusis) where everyday sounds seem much louder than they should. This makes me prefer a car that scores high when it comes to a quiet cabin.

Please note it's not just the NVH levels I'm referring to. It's the regular noise of streets, vehicles, and (most disturbing) the HONKING in India that is painful for me. I've been into European cars here and they have such a beautifully silent cabin, coupled with the fact that people rarely honk here, which makes me forget my condition but whenever I'm back to India, the torture starts. So much that I have to avoid getting out whenever I'm at home and I would like to change it.

Possible Contenders:
All compact SUVs in India: Venue, Sonet, XUV 300, Brezza, Nexon under the budget of 15 Lacs INR (On Road).

-
I'm aware what I'm asking for is usually reserved for the high-end brand/segments and the cars in the higher price range always offer the best cabin silence. However, there must be some "least worst" among all in the CSUV segment. The owners of these cars, can you please share your experience pertaining to the noise levels in the cabin?

I also know we can enhance the soundproofing using custom modifications in doors and other places and I would consider them, but buying a car with the best level of silence is the right way to begin.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

PS: A small humble suggestion to the review team - if you people can start mentioning the cabin silence factor too while reviewing a new car, that'd be really helpful for a lot of buyers like me.
I have driven all listed, and one of my deciding factor before buying was least NVH and super silent cabin and the winner is 'XUV300' with so much unnecessary honking and sound pollution I am happy with how the XUV300 cabin dampens the sound.
nitin_knw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 20:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Well, as many folks have opined, EV is as quiet a car as you can get. In the regular options, I would suggest Creta. I have a 1.5 NA petrol IVT model and the cabin is super quiet. I was really pleasantly surprised by the NVH levels so would definitely recommend the 1.5 NA petrol model in your shortlist. Manual version may well be within your budget and if you can stretch it for automatic, IVT is the way to go.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 7th October 2022 at 20:20.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks