Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which SUV will you choose?
Jeep Compass 1.4 Petrol DCT 68 40.48%
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Hybrid 100 59.52%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2022, 12:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass or Toyota HyRyder?

Voted for Compass

A year ago I was confused between the more VFM Kia Seltos and Jeep Compass 1.4 Sport. Seltos made all the sense but heart was towards Compass only. The only reason I did not buy Compass was one city one showroom restriction. But if someone were to give 1-2L less for my 1 year old Seltos, I would buy a new Compass Limited AT any day. I fall in love with it every time I see it on the street. A handsome car with strong dynamics.

Last edited by kaustubhp : 8th October 2022 at 12:21.
kaustubhp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 17:22   #17
kvk

Faced a similar choice a month or so ago. Here's what I have done: I am upgrading from a Honda City (4th Gen) for my second vehicle which I drive around town and occasionally out of town. Main reason for change was wanting a higher seated vehicle - getting old and sitting in a sedan is taking a toll on the body on longer drives. Initially booked the Compass Petrol S end August this year, took a test drive - didn't find the lack of power in the petrol to be an issue for me (sedate driver, rarely drive > 100 kmph on highways) and signed the contract. Delivery was promised 4-6 weeks later. Meanwhile, the several reports about various issues with the car on this forum, poor after sales support from Jeep etc. started grinding on me and through this waiting process I realized how much fuss free ownership meant to me which I had not adequately factored into my decision earlier (for info: my other car is a 2017 Innova Crysta V which is primarily driver driven). I cancelled the booking early September.

That's when I started looking at the Hyryder seriously. Main concerns from the reviews were the boot space and power. Power (or lack of it) as mentioned earlier, was not a major concern. Boot space was but given that 90% of the time its going to be at most two people in the car (wife and me), that too was not a deal breaker even for out station trips. Booked the strong Hybrid V early September. Saw the demo car couple of weeks ago, boot space concern was further alleviated - took my golf bag and trolley along and they fit, with space for a carry-on and a backpack to spare. Test drove the car this morning (city drive only, no highway as there is only one TD vehicle. Longer, highway drive promised next week). Didn't find power to be a concern (we were 4 people in the car), although it was a short drive, it was first thing in the morning, streets were not busy so I was able to push the vehicle a bit and didn't sense any lack of power for my style of driving. I don't expect the highway drive to change my decision. I was told deliveries will begin late October (20th ish).

I didn't seriously look at Hyundais and Kias although I test drive the Alcazar and found it to be too big for what I need.

Last edited by kvk : 8th October 2022 at 17:25. Reason: mph to kmph change
kvk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 23:11   #18
BHPian

If the conundrum was between the Jeep Compass Diesel and Urban Hyrder Strong Hybrid, it would be a classic case of heart vs mind. And most would have asked you to go with your heart.

But the Jeep Compass petrol AT has been a huge let down from the city driving perspective. This coming from a person who was allotted the first silver Compass at launch when On Road Mumbai price was 21 lacs. I think now it's close to 27 lacs.

Not that the Urban Hyrder is anywhere close to being the complete package, but seems to a great ride from most TeamBHP members who have been able to get the test drives.

But mind you don't get carried away by the resale value of a Toyota. Toyota Innovas command a great resale value, all other models struggle.

You can keep using the vehicle for years to com3 but resale does not get you anywhere close to a MSIL vehicle.

So Urban Hyrder would be my choice till I am ready to splurge on the likes of a Tiguan.
mave547 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 10:38   #19
BHPian

As an owner of Compass, though diesel MT, i would suggest to go for it. On a different note, a family member of mine is in similar boat with a very wide cross shopping. After driving my car, he is finding very difficult to consider other cars and he is finding reasons to justify to his family members.
bullitt1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 19:00   #20
BHPian

Compass is from one level higher segment.
I wouldn't trust the compass because the life of American car brands has been in dog years so do keep that in mind.

Jeep is the only American brand that I can think of that is still in the market. I personally know 3 people- my neighbour, my dad's biz partner and a professor in my hospital and all three of them own the compass and they have nothing positive to say about the car anymore.
Initially they claimed that driving experience is fun but after a year or two of ownership they have been complaining of something breaking and are frustrated because it's always in the workshop or standing at home.

Hyryder i agree the interiors are similar to suzuki but it shares design elements with fortuner and innova and the power train and exterior design is pure Toyota. If you want something more spacious then take a look at Honda City hybrid, but they way things are on the roads, a compact SUV is the way to go. Higher GC is very nice to have nowadays.

I'm retiring my Honda City as my daily and will be using it as my secondary after I take deliver of my hyryder.
tjsi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 20:39   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsi View Post
I wouldn't trust the compass because the life of American car brands has been in dog years so do keep that in mind.
You don't say! I have owned a Chevy and a Ford. As soon as my cars complete 5 years, the company leaves India!

Will I be third time lucky?

BTW, just saw Hyryder on a test drive today. Looked good on the road. Will be taking a test drive on a weekday this week.
Old 10th October 2022, 00:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Compass = Premium product with hit or miss A.S.S. I go by my heart so would any day pick the handsome looking Jeep Compass with robust underpinning and plush interiors. I'm more of tank like build and capable suspension then A.S.S, Fuel Efficiency etc.

I believe you are looking at Jeep Compass Model S (O) 1.4 Petrol DCT at ₹ 33.22 Lakh as that's the variant which has sunroof and ventilated seats.

Hyryder = Not at all a premium product. Not 'premium' price wise as well. Keep aside 'Hybrid' and compare it with Creta SX (O) 1.5 Petrol CVT. At ₹ 20.17 Lakh, Creta gives you a sense of 'premiumness' and is a reliable too.

So why not Creta SX (O) 1.5 Petrol CVT

Last edited by HammerHead : 10th October 2022 at 00:40.
Old 10th October 2022, 09:02   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

The Jeep Compass and Toyota Hyryder do not belong to the same class.
While the new age hybrid technology is interesting and there is an AWD variant, I would still pick a Jeep because it is a plush, well engineered vehicle.
Whereas most of these newer Toyotas etc come across as being engineered to meet a price point.
Old 13th October 2022, 07:25   #24

Firstly, going to Jeep petrol is a terrible idea.
You have to choose diesel only. Though some parameters are good they have reliability issues. Which will kill your peace of mind. Last but not least their service is pathetic.

Secondly, Toyota Hyryder has two engine options.
Mild engine is from Suzuki and strong engine from Toyota completely. As you are not looking for a high performance vehicle you don’t go wrong with any of the above.

Finally, trust me you will have lot of peace if you go with either Suzuki or Toyota.
Old 13th October 2022, 13:03   #25

Toyota's and suzuki's are fuzz free and reliable, but can't say the same for the Jeep, but the snob value is there for the Jeep and it's hands down a better looking car. But if i were you would chose the hyrider due to it being more reliable, especially considering you're a sedate driver.

You can also consider the used market and could step into the world of the big germans if you want.

Actually if i were you, i would wait for the BYD Atto 3, since it's an EV (with more range than any of its competitors) and if the price is right, offers a lot more than most cars currently available, but keep in mind it's still Chinese and service centres and showrooms are scarce or I would get a used luxury.
Old 14th October 2022, 14:22   #26

Everyone in the replies is talking about the cars that you’ve shortlisted and also suggesting new cars. But from what I understand, you have already done all your research and have shortlisted on two. Different cars appeal to different people according to their tastes and preferences. If there’s one great car, there wouldn’t be these many options in the market. So I wouldn’t talk about the car or suggest new ones. Only you would know which one suits you.
Major conflict here is about “value for money”. Not even about money. If you cannot afford compass, you wouldn’t even consider that. But that exists in the shortlist.
Decision makers here are “life is short” and “legal life span of ICE is every shorter”. You might earn so much more money in the future that even 10 lakhs wouldn’t be a concern. But then all you can purchase is a silent boring electric car. Then you’ll definitely regret not buying a “proper” ICE when you can. Compass is legendary and also value for money in the premium segment. It is at a sweet spot of what money can buy. You get the best of both worlds. Finances being one world and premium cars being another.
A car is a long term investment. Like getting married. I think these decisions should be made with heart than with calculations. Gut feeling never goes wrong.
Even I was struggling between compass and Taigun gt plus but finally made a decision to book compass. Might get it by this month end. Please let me know if you buy one too.
chrn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 11:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrn View Post
Major conflict here is about “value for money”. Not even about money. If you cannot afford compass, you wouldn’t even consider that. But that exists in the shortlist.
Thanks. Yes, fortunately, Compass is within budget. As you rightly said, it all boils down to value for money. It's an entry level luxury car just one step below the Germans and in that sense it's VFM luxury.

I have decided to go with Compass for now, however not made the booking yet. If I am getting a car in next few days (pending home minister's approval), it will be Compass, if not, then I will skip a year or two and jump to an EV that feels like a VFM luxury.

This poll and all the comments have made me realized what I really want from my next car. I just don't need a car to move myself from place A to place B. I already have quite a capable and perfectly running Ford Aspire for that. I am really looking to move up the value ladder in every sense. That's what we do here at Team-BHP no? We live to drive and cars are more than just a mode of transport for us.
Old 16th October 2022, 11:33   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep Compass petrol AT is a bit of a mystery to me. When originally launched in 2017, almost everyone who drove it rejected it outright, for the heavy turbo lag and outrageously low fuel efficiency and lack of.power. The Diesel was the hot favourite and the lack of auto box in Diesel was finally addressed in 2019/20 with the arrival of the Trailhawk and other Diesel Auto 4x4 variants.

After Diesel slowly started becoming a villian in the market due to costlier BS6 modifications, clogged DPFs etc., Petrol cars again started gaining ground. As far as I am aware, Jeep had not made.any changes in the engine or transmission of the Compass Petrol AT, and the Compass petrol.uses the same old multi-air engine tech from 15 years back. However, the tolerance for heavy turbo lag and low FE as well lack of outright power seems to have gone up and these flaws become acceptable to the public, due to diesels falling out of favour. It will be interesting to see a sales graph of the Compass petrols, in relation to the Diesel variants, I am sure the mix changed significantly in the last 3 years.

Back to the poll, I have voted or the Hyryder:
  • The 2020s will be the decade of the hybrids in my opinion. Although there is a lot of excitement about EVs, I am convinced it is only the 2 or 3 car households who are buying it and it is more of vanity value today. First time car buyers want to go on road trips as well in addition to the daily commute. This is difficult today with EVs as charging infrastructure is simply not there and/or not predictable enough outside the cities. Petrol prices will continue to go up while people will continue to want larger and more luxurious cars. The only answer is hybrid, which will practically double your fuel efficiency even with a larger car such as the Hyryder or the upcoming Nissan Xtrail e-power.
  • The abysmally low FE of the Compass petrol will start to pinch as Petrol prices go up to the 150-200 Rupees range per liter, which will happen for sure, as the Russia war drags on, OPEC sticks together and cuts oil output and rupee weakens against the dollar.
  • Toyota reliability and resale value. You can get extended warranty for 8 years on the Hyryder and be at peace.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 16th October 2022 at 11:46.
84.monsoon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 19:58   #29
BHPian

And - drumroll - I have booked the Hyryder.

My wife asked me yesterday, do you really want to buy the Jeep Compass? And I wasn't able to give a resounding and immediate yes. Yes, I want to buy it, but, there was a but.

Today morning I went through various Compass threads including the one by vinitbhavi about issues in his brand new compass (My brand-new Jeep Compass breaks down twice in a week after delivery | EDIT: Now back home). Re-reading his thread and the resolution, I noticed one statement on his resolution post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Vehicle was delivered and at my request Mopar 3 years service pack, free of charge was provided by Landmark.
At his request. Jeep or Landmark did not offer anything out of courtesy on their own for all the troubles a customer had to go through on a brand new vehicle costing 35 big ones. He had to ask for it. This is not a good sign.

While searching for his thread, I searched for brand new jeep compass on Team-BHP and almost all the threads on the first page were complaining about some or the other issue. I performed the same search for Fortuner and Innova. There indeed were some issues in these cars as well but not as many as Jeep.

Name:  jeep.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  77.6 KB

Name:  innova.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  68.1 KB

Name:  fortuner.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  62.7 KB

I want a car that I can drive peacefully for next 10 years. After owning a Chevrolet and a Ford, I am genuinely scared of the company leaving the country and having a single service center in the whole city. With Jeep's dwindling sales numbers and the minuscule amount that India contributes to FCA's global revenue, there is a very real possibility of Jeep also leaving Indian shores in next 5 years.

I looked at another post by Aditya about a poll on preferred compact SUVs (Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others) and in that poll After XUV700, Hyryder came second. Compass was third. In fact, these were the only 3 cars to cross double digit %.

Compass is not a bad product per se, but Hyryder was trumping it in every poll. So I decided to at least give it a try. Lacozy Toyota Malad is near my home. Called the SA and went for a test drive with wife and daughter. The ride was fine. Acceleration was better than Jeep. Loved it. The power mode is insane. Even a sedate driver like me could feel it. Feature wise it's on par with Compass, only thing missing that I care about is electronic seat adjustments and seat memory. Wife found the back seat more comfortable than Compass. The drive was taken in blazing Mumbai afternoon Sun and the sunroof liner was actually not bad. It did lit up the cabin a lot but wasn't uncomfortable.

So a decision was made and Hyryder strong hybrid V variant was booked. On paper promised delivery is August 2023! I can expect it by March as per the SA.

So now, the waiting game begins. A lot can happen before that though. Just happen to see a Compass while driving back home.

Name:  meme.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  56.9 KB
yashg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 08:04   #30

If your budget of buying and running the car is not a constraint and can be managed, go for the Jeep Compass. To simply put it, buying a car especially one that costs above a million rupees is not about saving money, its about spending the money to be happy about it. I can understand the logic of how sensible it is to buy a Fuel Efficient Maruti badged as a Toyota, but then when you can buy a car that costs as much, you want more than just the fuel efficiency, don't you? That more than just Fuel Economy is what the Jeep Compass comes with.

For me, that's the choice I made when I had to choose my first car, an Abarth Punto despite being strapped for budget. Many were against buying a car from a brand that's going to be non existent and yes there are rare occasions when I wish I did not have to deal with the anxiety of spare parts and service scarcity (both of which haven't been a problem till date) but boy oh boy, did it turn out to be a great decision. I am not rich and the Abarth isn't anywhere near Fuel Efficient, but my heart cries with tears of joy everytime I get behind the wheel or even when I see her in the parking lot and I thank myself for having made the right decision.

Go for what your heart says.
Tifosi2306 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed