Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which SUV will you choose?
Jeep Compass 1.4 Petrol DCT 68 40.48%
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Hybrid 100 59.52%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2022, 08:48   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass or Toyota HyRyder?

Absolutely no comparison between the two. Hyryder is a glorified Brezza, and feels and drives accordingly. Compass is a proper international product. It is only fuel efficiency that the Toyota is better at, otherwise Compass aces everything else. In fact, this is perhaps the only comparison in which Compass wins for even cabin and boot space!

If you are keen on the hybrid part, and the associated low running costs and smooth drive, do consider the City eHEV instead.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 17th October 2022 at 08:53.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 11:38   #32
BHPian

If you're willing to spend the extra money, go for the Jeep Compass. There is no comparison between the two, the only points of similarity being that both are SUVs (the hyryder only technically so) and are somewhat similar in size.

The primary reason I have booked the Hyryder is that my daily commute is now around 42 KMs of mostly city driving.
teknophobia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 22:52   #33
BHPian

Sharing my PoV from the perspective of a Jeep Compass owner for the last 5+ years. Mine is a Limited 4x2 Diesel manual from probably the first batch delivered to Delhi.

I migrated to the Compass from a Corolla Diesel.

Now the Corolla Diesel is a very fine car, I have done 1900+ in a single day on that all through Rajasthan. But I sometimes did feel that my mind has overtaken the front car but the Corolla has yet to complete the manoeuvre, at times I did fell a lack of power.

Compared to that the Jeep has almost completed the manoeuvre as I'm planning it this always, I repeat always leaves a smile on my face and a good feeling in my heart that I have chosen the right car.

I stay on one end of the Noida-Greater Noida expressway & my office is on the other end, even after 5 years, every morning I look forward to the morning drive to the office. Every day I regret the 2 years of life lost due to the pandemic. What more do you want from your investment from a depreciating asset?
Hope that helps you decide.
abhoumick is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 23:39   #34
BHPian

Jeep Compass because out of these two its more aspirational. In long run you will look at it and feel happy. Also ride quality is average and not bad. So overall 6/10.

Toyota is reliable but a Maruti hence no connect with heart. In terms of driving it again is average. So overall 6/10.

When faced with two averages buy what heart desires or change the field and go for XUV 700 petrol automatic. Its a solid 7/10.
heydj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 17:56   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
If you're willing to spend the extra money, go for the Jeep Compass. There is no comparison between the two, the only points of similarity being that both are SUVs (the hyryder only technically so) and are somewhat similar in size.

The primary reason I have booked the Hyryder is that my daily commute is now around 42 KMs of mostly city driving.
Did you consider the VW Taigun GT Plus as against the Toyota Hyrder. Both are readily available in the color and the variant of choice. But am thoroughly confused
a.) 90 percent driving is city driving BUT the occasional highway drive is ONLY for leisure and would love a GT kind of a vehicle.
b.) Thoroughly disappointed with the AC performance and low speed city driveability of the Taigun GT.

Team BhPians please weigh in on this classic heart vs mind dilemma.

Variants considered - Toyota Hybrid G ( on road 20.5 lacs) vs VW Taigun 1.5 GT ( on road 22.5)

Thanks.
Old 19th October 2022, 21:32   #36
BHPian

I was interested in a hybrid around the 20l OTR range and my wife preferred the Hyryder to the City. Trust me, once you've driven a hybrid in bumper to bumper city traffic through the bylanes of Ghatkopar, you won't really like a petrol auto.
teknophobia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 15:44   #37

Caught up in a similar situation.
Shortlisted the Hyryder, XUV 700, and the Jeep Compass.

The Compass was love at first sight (Model S P AT). It seemed like a well put together product.
Followed by the XUV 700 which delivers on the VFM factor with a few exceptions like the lighter interiors, lack of seat ventilation, and powered tailgate, which I wouldn’t have bothered about if I had not seen the Compass.
The only thing I could write home about the Hyryder after a short test drive was the fuel efficiency and pricing. It was okayish and it’s rivals have better interiors.

I booked the 700 and called it a day after a lot of back and forth with these ideas.

The compass at 35-36L OTR would purely be an emotional decision (IMO)
The XUV 700 offers the best value in the 25-28L OTR bracket.
And the Hyryder would be a great city car for everyday commutes but, will probably stop being fun once you feel a little adventurous.

I understand I can’t have it all but I’m just looking for the right amount of inspiration to follow my heart as the OP proposed.
youngmonk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 11:56   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post

Right now I need to decide which one to go for. It’s a mind vs heart decision really. HyRyder is the more sensible choice. The heart aches for the Compass.

Jeep Compass

Positives
  • Brand
  • Build quality
  • Ride quality
  • Better sunroof liner
Negatives
  • Abysmal fuel economy
  • Not VFM (wife thinks it’s not worth paying that kind of money for such a small car)
I found the 1.3 petrol to be adequate for my use. I am not an "enthusiastic" driver. Although it slow to pick up even compared to my Aspire which has 1.5L NA engine, once upto speed, it drives rather well for my use. I can live with it.
My two-pence as a recent owner of the New Jeep Compass. I had a similar stance and gave in to the heart and went for it. The only thing I have had since is a heartache. Sadly the horror stories on rattles, niggles and noises are TRUE. I have my own thread of woes. Not too serious in some sense considering some of the crazy stories on this forum, but definitely a let down considering the price and premium paid for the car.

I would strongly recommend against it. I so wish I had gone for an Octavia or any other of the Germans or boring but crazily reliable Japanese.
deevilslair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 12:28   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevilslair View Post
My two-pence as a recent owner of the New Jeep Compass. I had a similar stance and gave in to the heart and went for it. The only thing I have had since is a heartache. Sadly the horror stories on rattles, niggles and noises are TRUE. I have my own thread of woes.
I have been to your thread about early invoicing issue and loss of 5 months of warranty. Although it got sorted eventually, it does leave a bitter taste. One should not have to deal with such issues in a premium product.
yashg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 07:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Not a fan of hyryder but compass petrol AT is not perfect. Would have recommended the jeep had you chosen diesel.

My vote goes to TOYOTA. Both cars have similar dimensions and urban performance of hyryder seems just fine with some amazing fuel efficiency figures. On highway speeds however it will never feel like a drivers car.
Old 8th December 2022, 18:32   #41
BHPian

Finally I have cast my vote in this poll for Jeep Compass.

I decided to go with the heart.

Thanks to everyone who voted and shared their views. Even though 60% of the members suggested Hyryder, the poll really helped me understand what I actually wanted. So universe conspired and I took the delivery of a sparkling red Compass.

Jeep Compass or Toyota HyRyder?-yashjeep.jpg
yashg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 17:08   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post
Finally I have cast my vote in this poll for Jeep Compass.

I decided to go with the heart.

Thanks to everyone who voted and shared their views. Even though 60% of the members suggested Hyryder, the poll really helped me understand what I actually wanted. So universe conspired and I took the delivery of a sparkling red Compass.

Attachment 2387967
Heartiest Congratulation's Yash!
Wishing you many munching miles. Rest assured you have made a good choice.
There was honestly no comparison between the two.
If I would have to choose again, in spite of the initial issues, I would still go in for the JC!
vinitbhavi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed