View Poll Results: What should I get?
New VW Taigun GT Plus 76 60.32%
Used VW T-Roc 45 35.71%
Other (please specify in your post) 5 3.97%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2022, 18:39   #16
BHPian

Re: New VW Taigun GT Plus or Pre-owned VW T-Roc?

Voted for Taigun 1.5 TSG, not because it is superior to T-ROC.

With the same 1.5 TSI engine (I am assuming them to be in same tune) and gear box, the performances might be identical. Though the interiors and dynamics may not be identical, there are benifits of Taigun In comparison to T-Roc:
1. Peace of mind (going by your no used car experience). That said, i personally prefer used cars for the value they bring.
2. Similar engine / gear box performance and (almost) equally fun to drive.
3. Lower losses due to resale (1st owner and 2nd owner difference and CBU units having lower presence in numbers and hence lower demand in used car markets)
ChandraSekarMN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 19:00   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
- Then the 1.5 DSG will be telepathic

- They can say whatever they want but as mentioned here (The Reliability Dilemma | Want to buy VW Virtus GT, but worried about DSG) its due to the design.
Any improvement to the DSG/DCT is actually Tata's DCA with a wet clucth to manage the heat better and some other improvements.

IMO the Taigun GT 1.5 makes the better buying decision in your case and with the 5 stars GNCAP now it has a mighty edge over the other players in the segment if the performance wasn't already.

Some points to remember (DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox) when using DSGs but shifting to neutral when stationary is the easiest to inculcate.

Don't forget the "DSG Fund" though
Oh, I never knew that Tata's DCA was better. Thanks for the share, I'll just pray to god that I never have to use my DSG fund

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
The T-Roc is like a cheaper Audi while Taigun is a like more expensive Polo. If expensive spares and delays in service is not an issue, I'd opt for the T-Roc.
Totally agree. The only downside is the rear legroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mod Note: Poll added to spice things up . Voted for the Used T-Roc! It's a superior car and 1-year old means it's pretty much brand new. Go for the extended warranty and you'll have piece-of-the-mind for a few years. Post that, any good independent garage can take care of your CBU.
Noted. I'd definitely buy EW if I decide to go ahead with the T-roc. I'm looking for a used T-roc either in the shade of Rivenna Blue or Curcuma Yellow, which is currently not available in my state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIRaghav View Post
Having driven both the cars recently, let me share the pros and cons:

Taigun:
Pros
1. Great to drive
2. Can seat 5, feels more spacious than inside
Cons
1. Interiors are not premium enough for a 22 lakh car
2. Although subjective, doesn’t look as good as the T-Roc

T-Roc:
Pros
1. Great to drive
2. Premium cabin
3. Looks better than Taigun
Cons
1. Strictly four seater
2. Feels cramped at the rear

Personally, I would pick the T-Roc over Taigun any day.
I totally agree with whatever you said above. The only downside is the rear legroom for the T-roc and the fairly tall transmission tunnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Between a discontinued (in India) pre-owned VW and an in-production VW I would choose the latter. In this particular case it is easier to choose the taigun because it gets the same powertrain as the t-roc and is cheaper.

What is the USP of the t-roc if VW were to bring in another batch? None. Taigun GT took that spot. Its not a VW GTI or a Skoda RS.

Edit: I should rephrase the underlined as - What is the USP for VW to bring in another batch of t-rocs when they sell taigun here?
Yes, that's also true.

Would the GTI arrive in the Indian market anytime soon? If yes, I don't mind waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr ST View Post
Hi,
I can relate to your query since we travelled through the same area in our Tiguan Allspace which has a similar suspension characteristic to T- Roc. My choice would be Taigun since the road construction will take minimum 2-3 years to get completed. Taigun has a better suspension for irregular roads, it's cheaper, and you get a 5-star rated car with the colour of your choice. Hope this helps.
Regards
Thanks for sharing your view. Yes, I also found Taigun to be much more comfy and when it comes to the potholes in our roads, Taigun would be the pick eyes closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalbeat View Post
I will be biased to say go with T-Roc. TDIRaghav has summed it up really well here. I was in my hometown and my brother showed me listing for a 2 year old T-Roc going for 22 lacs+ and it surprised me as well. However since I own a T-Roc I can see why it might be commanding such prices in pre-worshipped market:
1. Excellent build quality
2. Huge potential to modify
3. Looks, although are subjective. Everyone who has spoken to me about this car has always complimented its looks

I had an AC gas leakage issue right at the start of the ownership. There was a pin sized hole in the AC unit which made it lose cooling within a month. Downtown VW took 2 days to detect and solve the issue. I have not faced any problem wrt parts availability but yes it is one of the things that I am not 100% sure about as to how things will pan out in case such a situation arises.

To conclude, I will buy T-Roc again if I had to make this decision today.
Thanks for sharing your views. I'm having a hard time making up my mind as both of these vehicles have their own pros and cons.

Is it possible to have the navigation show up in the instrument cluster through an after-market fitment? Any idea? I always end up missing certain turns while I'm the navigator on road trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya969 View Post
T-Roc! Simply because driving performance is an important factor for you, as I gather. Having owned a T-Roc for close to 2 years now, I can safely say I have not spent much at all on maintenance and parts. Yes, the parts are a tad expensive, but then premium does come at a cost and I have wrapped my head around this.
The interior plastic does disappoint but you get used to it and can live with it purely because the T-Roc makes up in driving dynamics and behavior. Once out on the open road, there is really no car which is so tightly set-up south of 25 Lakhs which can offer you a good driving experience.
The Taigun on the other hand is a good product as well but not really an enthusiasts preference IMHO. The way the chassis is set up and its driving dynamics are more on the softer side and although the engine will make sure you have fun given how free-revving it is, the dynamics will slightly disappoint.
The T-Roc also comes with a massive Panoramic sunroof and ADAS tech, which is likely to be more commonly found in the cars of the future, which will not give you the feeling of missing out on features. All in all, go for the T-Roc!!
Thanks for sharing your views. I guess they removed ADAS from the 2021 variant. I'm not sure. Could someone confirm?

Also, the 2021 variant comes with c-type charging ports compared to normal USB ports on the 2020 variant. Is there any way to get it swapped on the 2020 variant?
shilpa3326 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 19:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandraSekarMN View Post
Voted for Taigun 1.5 TSG, not because it is superior to T-ROC.

With the same 1.5 TSI engine (I am assuming them to be in same tune) and gear box, the performances might be identical. Though the interiors and dynamics may not be identical, there are benifits of Taigun In comparison to T-Roc:
1. Peace of mind (going by your no used car experience). That said, i personally prefer used cars for the value they bring.
2. Similar engine / gear box performance and (almost) equally fun to drive.
3. Lower losses due to resale (1st owner and 2nd owner difference and CBU units having lower presence in numbers and hence lower demand in used car markets)
Thanks for sharing your views. Don't mind me asking as I've never bought any used cars earlier, have you bought any cars through cars24, Spinny, or any other online dealer who claims that they have around 150+ quality checks in place, which isn't always true? If yes, would you recommend any platforms as such?
Old 1st November 2022, 20:11   #19
BHPian

It is always new compared to old, especially when it comes to a German DSG.

T-Roc WILL be better than Taigun in terms of only these aspects - BUILD QUALITY, FIT and FINISH since it's a CBU. Looks are always subjective.
In terms of other parameters like drivetrain, performance, etc. there is no significant difference (even if there is any). In fact, Taigun offers more VW compared to T-Roc (my opinion though).

Even if you ignore all the other factors, the most important factor is peace of mind. Being a VW, peace of mind is as important as being behind the wheel. It is Taigun for peace of mind, period. So I see no reason why you should choose a used T-Roc over a new Taigun.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 1st November 2022 at 20:12.
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 20:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
It is always new compared to old, especially when it comes to a German DSG.

T-Roc WILL be better than Taigun in terms of only these aspects - BUILD QUALITY, FIT and FINISH since it's a CBU. Looks are always subjective.
In terms of other parameters like drivetrain, performance, etc. there is no significant difference (even if there is any). In fact, Taigun offers more VW compared to T-Roc (my opinion though).

Even if you ignore all the other factors, the most important factor is peace of mind. Being a VW, peace of mind is as important as being behind the wheel. It is Taigun for peace of mind, period. So I see no reason why you should choose a used T-Roc over a new Taigun.
Hi, I agree that looks are subjective and Taigun would be a safer bet, however, I found T-roc to be a bit sportier while driving compared to the Taigun. I guess it's mainly because of the suspension as it's softer on the Taigun.

I read somewhere on the forum that VW doesn't offer EW for T-roc 2020, however, it does for the 2021 variant. Could someone confirm?
Old 1st November 2022, 21:25   #21
BHPian

Voted for the T-Roc

While looking for a Sedan in that price range, we did enquire about the T-Roc once. Sadly there was nothing available at that time. So we were down to Elantra and Octy, and then down to Octy only.
I feel, T-Roc is more of a sedan than a crossover. It is significantly lower than the Taigun, and also has a lower clearance. This should also drive like a sedan.
It is a larger car too. Wider and Longer than the Taigun. Though, they look similar, they are a world apart.
I, for one, was blown by the T-Roc’s looks. And when the Taigun was launched, was simply unimpressed. Remember how the Jelly Bean Zen and the newer 2005 zen differed in their looks?
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 21:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilpa3326 View Post
Thanks for sharing your views. Don't mind me asking as I've never bought any used cars earlier, have you bought any cars through cars24, Spinny, or any other online dealer who claims that they have around 150+ quality checks in place, which isn't always true? If yes, would you recommend any platforms as such?
Recently my friend got his Hyundai Aura from Spinny. The experience was good. And as per their claim, they avoid major accidental damaged cars (some other dealer had confirmed this about spinny); they do check the vehicle service history with Authorised Service Centres, etc which give us one or two less screening works; one year warranty on engine and gear box (not sure if that is on all GB like DSG etc though).
Apart from that Spinny purchase, had been to spinny couple of times for checking few vehicles with friends and the quality of vehicles had been decent, but over priced.
I have been involved in few other purchases too (non spinny - dealers, direct owners etc); which have been reasonably decent purchases (touch-wood) for my family and friends.
Cars24 and Other online dealers: no experience.
ChandraSekarMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 22:23   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

The one thing I remember is that the T-Roc.missed a very basic and important feature - cruise control! If you do a lot of highway driving, this is a boon to give your leg a break and move/stretch the lower body a bit on a long drive. Taigun does have this feature.

For me this alone was a reason to eliminate T-Roc at the time I was looking to replace my Ecosport. Around the same time, the Skoda Karoq was launched, which seemed like better value as it was roomier and had cruise control and a couple of other features the T-Roc missed. Sadly, Skoda sold only very few units of this fine car and did not import any additional batches after the first one.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 1st November 2022 at 22:24.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 22:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Normally, you lose more money (in depreciation) when you sell your car as first owner. Also niche cars, even if they are in low numbers, always have their own fans who are willing to pay premium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilpa3326 View Post
Chances of coming across a T-Roc on Cars24 or Spinny is very rare and even if they appear, they will be gone in no time. In general, good cars which have low running have great demand.
Old 1st November 2022, 22:56   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Normally, you lose more money (in depreciation) when you sell your car as first owner. Also niche cars, even if they are in low numbers, always have their own fans who are willing to pay premium.
True that sir. In this case the TRoc is not available at a good discount for the 2nd owner, where as selling it again, in my guess might not be this easy as people will negotiate heavily. I may be wrong too. Also TRoc as such may not be as niche as say a GTI which has a good fan following.

Quote:
Chances of coming across a T-Roc on Cars24 or Spinny is very rare and even if they appear, they will be gone in no time. In general, good cars which have low running have great demand.
Absolutely yes.
Old 2nd November 2022, 00:50   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
Voted for the T-Roc

While looking for a Sedan in that price range, we did enquire about the T-Roc once. Sadly there was nothing available at that time. So we were down to Elantra and Octy, and then down to Octy only.
I feel, T-Roc is more of a sedan than a crossover. It is significantly lower than the Taigun, and also has a lower clearance. This should also drive like a sedan.
It is a larger car too. Wider and Longer than the Taigun. Though, they look similar, they are a world apart.
I, for one, was blown by the T-Roc’s looks. And when the Taigun was launched, was simply unimpressed. Remember how the Jelly Bean Zen and the newer 2005 zen differed in their looks?
If the Taigun looked better and the cabin was a bit more premium, I would have opted for it hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The one thing I remember is that the T-Roc.missed a very basic and important feature - cruise control! If you do a lot of highway driving, this is a boon to give your leg a break and move/stretch the lower body a bit on a long drive. Taigun does have this feature.

For me this alone was a reason to eliminate T-Roc at the time I was looking to replace my Ecosport. Around the same time, the Skoda Karoq was launched, which seemed like better value as it was roomier and had cruise control and a couple of other features the T-Roc missed. Sadly, Skoda sold only very few units of this fine car and did not import any additional batches after the first one.
Cruise control wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as I seldom used it on my Honda City. I prefer stoping beside small roadside shops for stretching my legs

Quote:

Yeah, I agree. I came across 2 T-rocs on Cars24 and even though it was listed as non-accidental, both had their headlight and wheel housing replaced.

Quote:
True that sir. In this case the TRoc is not available at a good discount for the 2nd owner, where as selling it again, in my guess might not be this easy as people will negotiate heavily. I may be wrong too. Also TRoc as such may not be as niche as say a GTI which has a good fan following.

Absolutely yes.
GTI is in a different league altogether.

I'm always late to the party when it comes to buying cars. I missed GTI while it was available and missed the last lot which the dealer was giving away at a huge discount. Now I'm late to the t-roc party as well
shilpa3326 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 03:55   #27

Having owned a T Roc for 2 + years I would vote for Troc. There is nothing in India under 25 lakhs which gives you the same driving pleasure as a TRoc does. Yes your maintenance costs are on the higher side 20 to 25% in terms of annual service costs.
Old 2nd November 2022, 10:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya7382 View Post
Having owned a T Roc for 2 + years I would vote for Troc. There is nothing in India under 25 lakhs which gives you the same driving pleasure as a TRoc does. Yes your maintenance costs are on the higher side 20 to 25% in terms of annual service costs.
I agree that it's great to drive. Don't mind me asking, have any of your family members/friends complained about the rear seat space while traveling in the rear seat?

What are your annual service costs like?
Old 2nd November 2022, 11:27   #29
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your views. I'm having a hard time making up my mind as both of these vehicles have their own pros and cons.

Is it possible to have the navigation show up in the instrument cluster through an after-market fitment? Any idea? I always end up missing certain turns while I'm the navigator on road trips

No idea but this is an interesting thought. Will have to explore either this or an after market heads up display. Another thing on wish list is switching on ACC. Sorely miss it on my highway drives.
Old 3rd November 2022, 00:47   #30
BHPian

i'd really go for T-ROC. Its just a better package. Beautiful exteriors and well put together interiors. I'm curious about how high the levels of fit and finish are in the t-roc vs taigun.
i'd buy that extended warranty for the peace of mind and be glad that you came across a used T-Roc (I've been searching for one and havent found one yet)

As someone here said, T-Roc is a cheaper audi, while taigun is a more expensive polo (the new polo has the same interiors), couldn't have summed it up better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks