View Poll Results: What should I get?
New VW Taigun GT Plus 76 60.32%
Used VW T-Roc 45 35.71%
Other (please specify in your post) 5 3.97%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2022, 08:09   #31
BHPian

Re: New VW Taigun GT Plus or Pre-owned VW T-Roc?

There are plenty of very good inputs on this thread already. But wanted to add a shorter decision making guideline.
  • Choose VW T-Roc: If heart wants it and wallet can support it (Purchase price + Service)
  • Choose VW Taigun GT+: If mind selects it and family prefers it (Rear Leg Space).
I was in the same conundrum. I wanted the T-Roc, but I know I am not affluent enough to purchase and support a VW CBU yet. So Taigun GT+ it was for me.

Cheers.
Tanu3000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 16:11   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanu3000 View Post
There are plenty of very good inputs on this thread already. But wanted to add a shorter decision making guideline.
  • Choose VW T-Roc: If heart wants it and wallet can support it (Purchase price + Service)
  • Choose VW Taigun GT+: If mind selects it and family prefers it (Rear Leg Space).
I was in the same conundrum. I wanted the T-Roc, but I know I am not affluent enough to purchase and support a VW CBU yet. So Taigun GT+ it was for me.

Cheers.
I'm not so sure about the service cost for T-roc, it'd be great if some of the T-roc owners can share that here as it'd help me take an informed decision.

My family is against a pre-owned car and I'm having a hard time convincing them. Any tips that might help me convince them are welcome
Old 3rd November 2022, 18:06   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilpa3326 View Post
I'm not so sure about the service cost for T-roc, it'd be great if some of the T-roc owners can share that here as it'd help me take an informed decision.

My family is against a pre-owned car and I'm having a hard time convincing them. Any tips that might help me convince them are welcome
There are few replies on this thread that give you an idea of how much service would cost. But I dont think the periodic maintenance will break the bank. The part replacements will probably be the issue.

Imagine you have to go to body shop for a bumper replacement. The ASC will not have it in stock. Same for any part that is unique to the T-Roc. It will take time (Months?) for the ASC to get the part in stock, apart from the added price of the part. Folks with multi car garages can manage such a situation. I am not sure if you can. Owning the T-Roc will be a labor of love

If you are unable to convince your folks on a pre-owned car, can you convince them to compromise on rear seat space? May be the fit-finish of the car will wow them enough that they ignore that its pre-owned and has dismal leg room.

Food for thought
Tanu3000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 20:06   #34
BHPian

The T-Roc is the superior vehicle - no doubt and it's worth picking it up over the Taigun GT for an additional expense. But please make sure that it's all clean and solid and that you get all the additional warranty locked in.

To convince the family, you would have to take them along to the T-Roc, and take a test drive with that Panoramic Sun Roof open.

And to be honest, even if you can't convince them or get the T-Roc, it's okay. Taigun GT is a great one to own - as we all know, it's the best-in-class for safety and driving pleasure with some lakhs saved. So, it's a win-win for you, either way.

Last edited by VinsWagen : 3rd November 2022 at 20:07.
VinsWagen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 19:30   #35
BHPian

Have you given used Tiguan a thought? That 2L motor is great fun and the wet dsg is also more reliable than dq200. Out of these two, I'm more biased towards a new car and that too, which costs lesser. Agreed that T Roc has better interiors, but with dq200 ownership, I'd always be worried about how the previous owner treated it. And with similar internals in both, that works well too.
AZ911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 22:07   #36
BANNED

A really good comparison of T roc vs Taigo(basically just a coupe/sloping roof version of Taigun) Few bits not available in the Indian market but the verdict still holds true.

agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 21:40   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanu3000 View Post
There are few replies on this thread that give you an idea of how much service would cost. But I dont think the periodic maintenance will break the bank. The part replacements will probably be the issue.

Imagine you have to go to body shop for a bumper replacement. The ASC will not have it in stock. Same for any part that is unique to the T-Roc. It will take time (Months?) for the ASC to get the part in stock, apart from the added price of the part. Folks with multi car garages can manage such a situation. I am not sure if you can. Owning the T-Roc will be a labor of love

If you are unable to convince your folks on a pre-owned car, can you convince them to compromise on rear seat space? May be the fit-finish of the car will wow them enough that they ignore that its pre-owned and has dismal leg room.

Food for thought
I did try convincing them to test drive the vehicle once hoping that they might like it seeing it in flesh, however, some family members were arriving on that date and it got delayed. I'll give it another try. Thanks for the suggestion. Convincing them on the almost non-existent rear legroom is the hard part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinsWagen View Post
The T-Roc is the superior vehicle - no doubt and it's worth picking it up over the Taigun GT for an additional expense. But please make sure that it's all clean and solid and that you get all the additional warranty locked in.

To convince the family, you would have to take them along to the T-Roc, and take a test drive with that Panoramic Sun Roof open.

And to be honest, even if you can't convince them or get the T-Roc, it's okay. Taigun GT is a great one to own - as we all know, it's the best-in-class for safety and driving pleasure with some lakhs saved. So, it's a win-win for you, either way.
Yes, that's the plan, however, for some reason I didn't feel like spending close to 23L on-road for the Taigun GT plus after test driving it. I guess the fit and finish didn't appeal to me for some reason, don't know why. If it was under 20L, I would have booked it on the same day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
Have you given used Tiguan a thought? That 2L motor is great fun and the wet dsg is also more reliable than dq200. Out of these two, I'm more biased towards a new car and that too, which costs lesser. Agreed that T Roc has better interiors, but with dq200 ownership, I'd always be worried about how the previous owner treated it. And with similar internals in both, that works well too.
No, I haven't given T-roc a thought as occasionally I have to travel through narrow roads and Tiguan would be a bit hard to manage while driving through those narrow lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
A really good comparison of T roc vs Taigo(basically just a coupe/sloping roof version of Taigun) Few bits not available in the Indian market but the verdict still holds true.

https://Youtu.be/tIXk47QCU3A
Thanks for the share. Taigo looks a lot better than Taigun.
Old 6th November 2022, 23:02   #38

Quote:
I agree that it's great to drive. Don't mind me asking, have any of your family members/friends complained about the rear seat space while traveling in the rear seat?

What are your annual service costs like?
We are a family of 5. My Dad is 6. Me and my wife takes the front seats . Dad mom and 6 year old are bucked behind. No complaints so far. I have done close to 24K so far and majority of it with 5 onboard with boot filled to the brim. In fact my dad loves the way Troc handles when compared to our Polo.
Roughly around 14K are my services costs. My highway mileage is around 14-16 when driven between 90-105.
aditya7382 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 10:39   #39
BHPian

Well, if you're ok with a used one, since you're eyeing a used T-roc, I think it will be worth to have a look at used Jeep compass diesel AT, I know it might be hard to source one, but not impossible. Else, If I were in your shoes, I'd pick Taigun over T-roc. Just my two cents
Old 8th November 2022, 20:54   #40
BHPian

I own a T-Roc 2020 model.

T-Roc vs Taigun :
+ MQB-A1 platform - MQB-A0 (IN),
the latter is for smaller cars like polo.
+ Good Shoulder room
+ Much better planted at high speeds, being wider.
+ Fantastic Braking, a very confident one.
+ Euro NCAP 5 ( 2020 model ) vs GNCAP 5 !
+ ADAS ( 2020 model ), if you find them useful.
Fatigue detection in 2021 model only
+ Far better interiors. Even boot is neat.
+ Knobs for AC control vs touch !
+ one touch up/down with anti pinch on all windows, if you don't want to miss those VW stuff !
+ Fully Electric Controlled and Larger Sunroof , Wow!
+ exclusivity, if at all that matters.
-- No Cruise Control, if you really wanted it !
-- Lesser boot space
-- Lesser rear leg space

You will feel that you are getting an overall much better made car, if not a premium one !

What works against T-Roc:

-- Timely availability of parts in the long run is a concern
Right now it is not a big issue, as I understand from other owners.
Its a popular car in Europe. So availability itself should not be an issue.
-- Ownership cost in the long run. Parts are imported.

What works in favor of Taigun:

+ Long term and timely part availability.
+ Ownership cost ( highly localized and thus cost effective )

Periodic maintenance , I think will be similar. Perhaps Taigun will be slightly cheaper.

Few notes on city usage:
Both T-Roc and Taigun 1.5 seem jittery ( D1-D2 shifts ) around pot holes , humps and rough patches . I did not notice this in Virtus. The DSG seems to be differently tuned.

For city use, I would recommend 1.0 AT.
tristis2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 00:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya7382 View Post
We are a family of 5. My Dad is 6. Me and my wife takes the front seats . Dad mom and 6 year old are bucked behind. No complaints so far. I have done close to 24K so far and majority of it with 5 onboard with boot filled to the brim. In fact my dad loves the way Troc handles when compared to our Polo.
Roughly around 14K are my services costs. My highway mileage is around 14-16 when driven between 90-105.
Thanks for getting back to me. My usage would also be the same, so it really helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beingtraveler View Post
Well, if you're ok with a used one, since you're eyeing a used T-roc, I think it will be worth to have a look at used Jeep compass diesel AT, I know it might be hard to source one, but not impossible. Else, If I were in your shoes, I'd pick Taigun over T-roc. Just my two cents
Thanks for the suggestion. I've read about certain service issues faced by the existing Jeep compass owners.So, it'd be either T-roc or Taigun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristis2008 View Post
I own a T-Roc 2020 model.

T-Roc vs Taigun :
+ MQB-A1 platform - MQB-A0 (IN),
the latter is for smaller cars like polo.
+ Good Shoulder room
+ Much better planted at high speeds, being wider.
+ Fantastic Braking, a very confident one.
+ Euro NCAP 5 ( 2020 model ) vs GNCAP 5 !
+ ADAS ( 2020 model ), if you find them useful.
Fatigue detection in 2021 model only
+ Far better interiors. Even boot is neat.
+ Knobs for AC control vs touch !
+ one touch up/down with anti pinch on all windows, if you don't want to miss those VW stuff !
+ Fully Electric Controlled and Larger Sunroof , Wow!
+ exclusivity, if at all that matters.
-- No Cruise Control, if you really wanted it !
-- Lesser boot space
-- Lesser rear leg space

You will feel that you are getting an overall much better made car, if not a premium one !
Thanks. The above points do really help. I have one question though, isn't the boot space of T-roc larger than Taigun?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 9th November 2022 at 05:07. Reason: Trimmed post quote.
Old 18th November 2022, 18:52   #42
BHPian

Fellow BHPians, I have one last question, can the extended warranty of T-roc be further extended before the 4 years EW is about to expire? If yes, for how long and any idea how much would that cost?
Old 18th November 2022, 21:38   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fellow BHPians, I have one last question, can the extended warranty of T-roc be further extended before the 4 years EW is about to expire? If yes, for how long and any idea how much would that cost?
Technically you can. But:
  • Need to check if the warranty can be extended by the second owner (ideally it should be possible, but you never know)
  • Extended warranty amount keeps going up as you buy it late. It would be at the highest if you buy it when it is just about to expire.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 08:32   #44
BHPian

Can someone with personal experience comment on AC cooling of T Roc vs Taigun 1.5 TSI. Especially in North Indian summers??

Last edited by MADMAX111 : 20th November 2022 at 08:33. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 22nd June 2023, 23:44   #45
BHPian

Hi fellow BHPians,

I'm planning to get a Taigun Gt Plus; however, after going through some of the threads on team bhp, I saw that some users have reported the following issues with the car: Car fails to start, TPMS issue, AC hissing noise, driver side window behaves erratically. Have these issues been resolved or has any of you experienced it?

Also, should I go for the variant with ventilated seats or without it? I read somewhere about AC hissing sound with the ventilated seat model.

Most Viewed