Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2022, 10:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Buying a 1st-gen Ford Endeavour 3.0L | Yes or No?

Running seems quite high.Also the fact that ford has exited now doesnt help.Try to find a good example of facelift 3.2litre instead or get a fortuner for peace of mind.
niranjan.mulye is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 10th November 2022, 10:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

All the votes against buying this car are obvious but that said, I always thought the old Endeavor was a fairly simple car and that it ought to be easy to maintain. Considering you don't seem to mind getting an old proper SUV used, why not look at used Monteros instead? Arguably it is the better truck no? Comes with a whiff of United Nations or National Geographic about it

Please note: I am not an SUV expert and have not personally owned any SUVs so speaking to owners of these cars would be more apt.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 10th November 2022 at 10:35.
IshaanIan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 12:29   #18
BHPian

Going against the tide-

1. You desire the Endy deeply and
2. your friend owns the largest workshop in Surat who also owns an Endy.

And if you are ready to keep a good amount aside for the future maintenance of the Endeavour, then I think you can go ahead and buy what you desire, keeping in mind the ownership may not be as fuss-free as Honda.

Of course, there is a probability that it would be a beginning of a beautiful and eventful ownership, but the odds are less for beautiful and more for eventful .

The biggest concerns are the maintenance of an old and highrun SUV whose manufacturer shut shop and the entailing spare parts shortage.

But hoping your friend's workshop may solve the problem of spares availability and maintenance.

But at the end of the day, the heart wants what it wants...

Last edited by poised2drive : 10th November 2022 at 12:32.
poised2drive is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 13:09   #19

I recently bought a 2017 Dec Ford Endeavour (3.2L 4x4) and it's an amazing machine.

I would suggest going with a newer version which was upgraded recently.

Ford service centers are still running and there are lot many other cars like EcoSport, Figo etc. to be taken care of by them. So, I don't see them winding up service anytime soon.

Couple of my friends are still using cars like Chevrolet Beat and Spark.

Moreover, you already have a trusted mechanic available to manage service.
ashtrokes is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 13:15   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

When it comes to cars - the heart wants what the heart wants. Afterall - its a luxury, not a necessity. There are multiple other means of travels & even cheaper cars. If one only applied logic - a Tata Tiago with 4 star safety and sufficient kit - would be the ONLY car that everyone bought from a college student to the richest person alive. But then that's not how it works is it?

So - if the Endy truck is in your bucket list since younger days & would be a nice tick to have - no problem in going for one (Similarly I have a Thar in my bucket list. 0 need of one, but I won't surprise anyone if suddenly I pick one up out of nowhere in future). But then - simply put - it cannot be your primary driver nor a replacement of your City. It can only be an additional aspirational car in your garage. (Also - that particular Endy - isn't probably the safest category car out there either, so I don't think it will fit the criterion put by your better half, for upgrading to SUV). Again - I didn't quite understand the purpose of having an SUV replace the City just yet. There are safer sedans, hatchbacks as well available in the market now if safety is a concern.

If its time to replace the City - I'd have a look at the Octavia first. Even in the pre-owned market for that matter. If your City has airbags, ABS - then I'd simply not look at changing it. If its running fine - keep it. Spend a bit on improving lighting (if not already done), a good music system setup etc, some damping, and it might change your heart.

Last edited by Reinhard : 10th November 2022 at 13:16.
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 13:19   #21
BHPian

Hello

Just my 2 paise.

1. If all Endeavour owners are asking you to go for it, feel free to ask them where they get the services done, what is the maintenance required, and from where do they source parts? Such groups can be of really big help, I recall a thread by a fellow member who got a lot of support for his old Grand Vitara from the owners' group.
2. It is wrong to assume that a company that has left the country will leave you stranded. There are numerous GM vehicle owners (Chevrolet) who swear that the company has supported them with parts very well even after leaving the country. You can check team-BHP itself for this.

Do some thorough ground research before taking any conclusion.
ads295 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 14:10   #22

That generation of the Endy did have an appeal with a lot of folks, and you seem to be one of them. I have been on a Mumbai - Delhi trip in one few years ago and felt extremely comfortable and planted.

As someone rightly mentioned ‘the heart wants what the heart wants’ and since this comes at a reasonable price, I would suggest you go for it but again heartily recommend that you retain your City for daily commutes since this has been a niggle free car whatsoever.

Your trips to the workshop may increase significantly, but again, that’s a knowledgeable friends’ place anyways who also owns one of these beasts, so he will be able to guide, plus you catch up on life as well during these visits😊.

As far as parking issues are concerned, you mentioned you can park it at your village home, so can alternately toggle - I hope that's not too far though.

Good Luck!
priyankarb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 14:57   #23
BHPian

Go for it. I know its not a popular opinion, but you are getting a proper SUV at a reasonable (non-regretable) price. We dont get any new cars at 3.9L (not even alto).
Be mentally prepared to accept the 'lack of parts' and long waiting times for replacements.
Fords are pretty reliable vehicles and even if you run for another 50k or 80k, it's full paisa vasool.
harishpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 16:18   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Never buy used cars of manufacturers that left the country.
Never say never. If you find a nice car at a throwaway price from a manufacturer that has left the country, you should pounce on it. I got my very first car, a used Opel Astra 1.6 2002 model in 2011 when it had 85000+ KMs on the odo for just 90,000 rupees. I literally withdrew that cash from the ATM and handed over to the owner on the spot. 11 years later in 2022, it remains the best car I have driven till date in India. No car South of 1 Cr can match its super low ground clearance even today which made it the perfect car for high speed cornering as it remained planted no matter what you did. The center of gravity for that car was underground

Opel Astra that I had to give away (The Giveaway Thread: Post up anything you want to give away FREE to a fellow BHPian)
bordeaux is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 17:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Since you buying car primarily for highway runs, you need peace of mind first. With an old car like this and a Ford you are taking chances. It might turn out to be a good gamble, but i would stay away from it.

In isolation though, the car looks really good and a good offer for 3.9, but i would still stay away from it.

Last edited by silverado : 10th November 2022 at 17:55.
silverado is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 19:40   #26
BHPian

Yes Endy appeals a lot to heart but as your mechanic said that if something happens on highway, nobody is gonna touch this car. I have faced this in the past with my Fabia. I think you should look for a 1st gen S-Cross. In 1.6, it’s a great highway car and prices are also quite low in used car market. Even 1.3 is not a bad option.
Aakash118 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 19:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

I would have said no but I double read the price. It's tempting. It's not going to dent your financials (I hope) if you buy it. The odo reading is on the higher side. But if you are able to drive it for another 80K kms, it's worth it. If you have someone who knows the Endy so well, why not give it a try. But since you mentioned the highway drives, please take a proper test drive and see if it gives you the right comfort. The heart may like it but the brain may give you a better advice. Wish you good health and miles of happy driving sir.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 01:11   #28
BHPian

Get it around 3.5L and then use it to your heart's content.

Sell it when your nostalgia dies off. Or don't, if it grows on you even more.

I feel like you're at a stage in your life where getting this car would make you cheerful and live longer.
Formula1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 01:46   #29
BHPian

My personal suggestion would be to avoid it. Even though I have 2 Fords in my garage at present, I wouldn't suggest you to buy an old generation Endeavour. Regular maintenance isn't an issue at all, at least till now, that is for the new generation Ford vehicles, but for an old gen, it could really be a headache.

However, if your heart is set on it and the SUV appeals to you and your calculations are sorted, go for it
Mach_1590 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 03:45   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by masudvorajee View Post
Dear BHPians,

I underwent a Bypass surgery last year, and my life changed after that. I do travel a lot to Ahmedabad and Mumbai by road, and my wife is not comfortable anymore with that, and she wants me to upgrade to an SUV.

His concerns are the spare parts and the kilometres the ODO shows though - 220,000.
Reiterating reasons NOT to buy this Endeavor -
  • 220,000 kms, that's just too much for any car, let alone a Ford
  • Ford no longer in India, spares will be hard to find
  • Old school engine and underpinnings for that generation of the car
I would also not recommend Fortuner, after owning two generations and disposing both off within short spans. That ride is just too awful for 50 lakhs, regardless of the road surface.

Not sure what your budget is and what your requirements are, apart from the fact that you want an SUV and you travel long distances on highways.

If I were you, I will buy a brand new SUV with a monocoque chassis, with automatic transmission, the safest (because of highway travels) and most comfortable, for the money you can afford.

Here would be my picks in each of 10 lakh brackets.

Around 40 lakhs ~ Hyundai Tucson (Diesel Automatic, 2WD)

Around 30 lakhs ~ XUV 700 (Diesel Automatic, 2WD)/ New Innova (when it launches)

Around 20 lakhs ~ Toyota Hyryder / Maruti Grand Vitara (Hybrid versions)

Around 10 lakhs ~ Kia Sonet / Nissan Magnite (Automatic)

Good luck and stay healthy!!
inwester is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks