Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2022, 12:35   #1

Buying a 1st-gen Ford Endeavour 3.0L | Yes or No?

Dear BHPians,

I have been reading this forum for well over 10 years now, but this will be my 1st real post.

I own a Honda City (2012) and I wanted to modify my amazing City. It was a pre-owned car which I bought in 2015 and I am using it for 7 years without any trouble at all.

I underwent a Bypass surgery last year, and my life changed after that. I do travel a lot to Ahmedabad and Mumbai by road, and my wife is not comfortable anymore with that, and she wants me to upgrade to an SUV. I wanted to check Thar out but came across my favourite SUV.

I couldn't afford an SUV back in those days, and now I have this chance to own and enjoy this SUV for a few more years.

https://www.olx.in/en-in/item/ford-e...iid-1705559568

Summary:

- First Owner
- 4X2 3 litre Hurricane
- Full insurance
- Very well maintained with a proper history
- PUC
- Still using the vehicle for their family trips to Goa and Mumbai
- No accident

Immediate expense if I buy this monster:

- Tyres
- 4 power window motors
- Spare wheel cover as its broken
- Seat covers

I have talked with the owner. A very genuine guy, I have some common friends as well and he is willing to drop the price slightly due to that. (Rs.3,90,000). The guy is selling this because they have just bought a new Gloster. They already have a Gloster, XUV500, Thar, Ecosport, Magnite in their garage.

I took it to a workshop owned by my friend, and he said that the car is absolutely fit and could be purchased. His concerns are the spare parts and the kilometres the ODO shows though - 220,000. He says numbers are not an issue, but if something happens, maintenance can be expensive. Plus, there are very few guys on the highway who will touch it if something happens during the trips.

My gut is telling me to go for it, but everyone else sane around me is telling me to look for a Fortuner or Innova.

Can you guys please help me decide?

Thank you

Mod Note - Please proofread before posting.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a 1st-gen Ford Endeavour 3.0L | Yes or No?-endy1.png  

Buying a 1st-gen Ford Endeavour 3.0L | Yes or No?-endy2.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th November 2022 at 17:06. Reason: 2X4 to 4X2- spell, grammar.
masudvorajee is offline   (17) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 7th November 2022, 12:50   #2
BHPian

re: Buying a 1st-gen Ford Endeavour 3.0L | Yes or No?

Never buy used cars of manufacturers that left the country.
CliffHanger is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 14:00   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by masudvorajee View Post

I underwent a Bypass surgery last year and life changed after that. I do travel a lot to Ahmedabad and Mumbai by road and my wife is not comfortable anymore with that and she wants me to upgrade to an SUV.
A matter of heart - please skip!

The last thing you want is more 'aches because of this thing in your life. Not suggesting any particular vehicle as such but look for ease of use, ease of ownership and most importantly running costs - if that matters.

A fuel efficient diesel crossover would be ideal, considering running costs.
Kosfactor is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 17:00   #4
BHPian

It has run 2,20,000 KMs. It's a Ford (no proper support from manufacturer).

Buying a car from a genuine sounding person who has a wide garage helps only so much. Even if this car is fairly reliable in its current state, any major repair may force you to park it in the workshop for weeks, if not months owing to part availability. I would call this a pure gamble and suggest staying out of it.

Consider buying a 4x2 Fortuner that has run much lesser instead, it will be reliable or at least, Toyota will promptly fix it for you.
HighRevving is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 18:40   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree to above posts. Pls skip these, and get a more recent and current model. May be a XUV500.

This Endy has already done 2.2L. However, the bigger concern is the availability of parts. With the repairs, you are looking at about 5 -5.5L as acquisition cost. If something happens and you need even wait for parts, you will be stuck without a vehicle. Worst case, if not repairable in due course, it will only be scrap value.
condor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 18:55   #6
RRM
BHPian

In my opinion - NO - for a product whose company itself has winded up. You are buying to make your life easy and not to go crazy! What you have mentioned as the expense may be just what you see but never know once the box is opened!

Go for Innova or Fortuner. You will not repent
RRM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 19:28   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

A lot of members are suggesting pre-owned Fortuners and all. The price point for the Endy as indicated in the original post is Rs 3,90,000/-. If this is anything to go by then many of the suggestions made here may not work.

It would be useful if we get an idea as to what sort of budget you are considering, for the purchase of the next car. That will help us recommend some options.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 13:02   #8
BHPian

Re: Buying a 1st-gen Ford Endeavour 3.0L | Yes or No?

As everyone so far commented here, you should not go with this purchase, but ONLY if you are going to replace your Honda City with the Endeavour. You indicated that this will be your main car and to be used for long drives - there are high chances that the Ford may give you big hits on the pocket and also it may get stranded in the workshop for a long term if any repairs or replacements are needed.

My suggestion is to buy it as your second car. It's a pretty cheap price to own your dream car. That way you can enjoy your SUV and keep the City as your backup car for short runs. And later on, you can decide which one to sell off and go for a new one. I would place my bets that you will be using the Ford for at least a couple of years without any major issues, going by the condition of the car reported. As evident, I'm just assuming that it's economically viable for you and that you have the additional parking space as well.
VinsWagen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 12:17   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
It would be useful if we get an idea as to what sort of budget you are considering, for the purchase of the next car. That will help us recommend some options.
I dont have a budget issue.

Its just that I absolutely loved that version of Endy and this guy maintained his vehicle really well so I got tempted. Only the owners of Endies told me to go for it. All the workshop owners, mechanics told me to stay away from it. This is why I wanted to take an opinion of BHPians as well.

I will look for an Innova or Fortuner than. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinsWagen View Post
My suggestion is to buy it as your second car. It's a pretty cheap price to own your dream car. That way you can enjoy your SUV and keep the City as your backup car for short runs.
I considered this scenario as well but sadly I only have 1 parking place so if I decide to buy it, I may have to keep the Endy at my village home.

My friend who owns the biggest workshop in Surat, owns one pre-worshipped Endy and he told me to give the offer of Rs.3,00,000 and leave it. If he sells it for 3L, its a steal.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 9th November 2022 at 12:31. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Quote+/Edit functionality to quote multiple posts.
masudvorajee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 16:14   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Not at all worth buying this first generation white elephant. A choice of many during its prime, no one who knows something about cars will touch this at the present times even with a barge pole. So long as it runs that's OK. But the moment there's a hiccup, it's bound to get tough to get it back on the road, both as far as spares and spare costs, plus expertise to repair it are concerned.

Instead, if at all you are interested in an used SUV/MPV for comfort's sake, you can look out for a good Innova, that's not more than 10 years old.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th November 2022 at 16:15.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 08:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

If your heart wants the Endy, just go for it. If the seller is genuine and trustable, get a detailed checkup done at any authorized showroom and buy it. As you are paying too small an amount, set aside 2x of that amount in mind for a worst-case scenario. Great chances are you won't need to spend those bucks.

This Endy is too good. Very rugged and the parts last very long. I had done a Bangalore Ladakh Bangalore on this in 2011(it had already done 1.8L kms). 7 people on board, luggage everywhere including the roof. Imagine 7 people and a 22-day road trip. This has been the best SUV experience for me ever.

Last edited by funkykar : 10th November 2022 at 08:25.
funkykar is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 08:55   #12
BHPian

I wouldn't touch this car with a barge pole, no matter how well maintained the car is or how genuine the seller is.
With Ford's exit and the car at 2.2 lakh km, you're looking at some very expensive repair bills and the headache of parts being available.
There are plenty alternative options available in the used car market, I'd say explore those.
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 09:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Forget that Ford. Keep your Honda City.

As for travelling between Ahmedabad and Mumbai, switch to using a train or fly. Will be a lot safer and better for your heart.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 09:32   #14
BHPian

I do not recommend this generation. if its the model from the last 5 years then you may choose to consider.
Bsreecharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 09:54   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

That gen Ford Endeavor was good at nothing. No offense to owners. 3.0 L turbo diesel may feel powerful on paper, but it has the same spec as a Varicor 400 storme, while being a good 400 kg heavier than the storme.

Want an Endeavour? Buy the last Gen endeavour 3.2

If I were you, I would pick an used crysta or the 2.5L innova if my budget is tight.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 10th November 2022 at 10:04.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks