Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2022, 13:06   #16
BHPian

Re: 5-year old Compass aged too quickly | Which SUV with AWD, AT & Low NVH as upgrade?

I would strongly not suggest Jeep Meridian as it is literally an elongated version of Jeep Compass. Hyundai Tucson is the top pick here. Hyundai diesels are known for their NVH levels. The service of Hyundai is miles ahead of Jeep or VW as per my personal experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Avoid the same engine again, its origins are in the late 90's and not meant for premium vehicles due to reasons that you are now aware.
Jeep sold 13,139 (Source Autopunditz) and let's say it sold 50-60% of diesel engines. That is approximately 6-7k 2017 manufactured and sold vehicles with this engine and 1 post in TBHP and such a statement from you is really surprising. I know many owners from 2017 manufactured Compass from owners Whatsapp group, and none, literally none had issues in this engine.
Old 26th November 2022, 18:14   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 5-year old Compass aged too quickly | Which SUV with AWD, AT & Low NVH as upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Jeep sold 13,139 (Source Autopunditz) and let's say it sold 50-60% of diesel engines. That is approximately 6-7k 2017 manufactured and sold vehicles with this engine and 1 post in TBHP and such a statement from you is really surprising. I know many owners from 2017 manufactured Compass from owners Whatsapp group, and none, literally none had issues in this engine.
You will have a different perspective if you are to buy one new today at 40L OTR or 30L OTR. Regardless just give it some time, you will understand what I am talking about.

We have one in the family, it's not an engine worth fitting into something like a Safari which is not a cheap vehicle to begin with but then on a compass that costs 40L OTR it's just not fair and then you remember its presence in Meridian - boy that is criminal.

You can hear a 1.6 diesel engine of Hyundai in the cabin, but it sounds nice and crisp even when you drive like a maniac, you can hear the BMW X1's diesel engine inside - but it too sounds nice. All this takes a lot of work.

Quote from autocar - "The Meridian is a touch quieter than the Compass, but when you rev the engine hard, the characteristically gravelly, diesel drone is quite audible."

Another quote from autocar - "The shortened Bolero is shockingly refined for what is essentially a rural SUV. Even at higher revs it doesn’t sound coarse or strained. Noise, vibrations and harshness (NVH) levels of this vehicle are minimal and sound insulation is surprisingly good."

My observation -
At cold start a 1.5L bolero is quieter than even a BMW diesel

I'm just talking NVH here, there is no comparison between a Bolero and BMW.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 19:10   #18
BHPian

I don't think it's wise to spend on new car right now for NVH issues. Like GTO mentioned stick to present one and get these issues sorted as much as you can.

However if money is no object then go for a proper upgrade that makes you feel you have got a new segment of car. Hence pick Volvo XC 60 or BMW X3.

In case money is a issue then just for NVH don't buy new car. Although Tucson is fantastic but not a upgrade from Compass.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 12:41   #19
BHPian

Just to update as the consensus was above, I had the Compass fully detailed with an engine flush, oil bleed, wheel work, etc done from a FNG. For reducing the noise I got 3M Damping mats which worked out great but the vibrations are still there. Additionally the noises from the plastic interior/suspension when going on rough roads are also still very much present.

To get these vibrations and plastic interior/suspension noises under control the FNG has suggested engine mounts replacement and lining the problem plastic bits with 3M double sided tape. As for the suspension they will diagnose if the noise is from boot or suspension first.

Con's with work:

Since all doors and dashboard were opened up for the 3M Damping mats there are new odd sharp noises that are emanating from them due to plastic bits rubbing I guess. This is specially true from just below the windscreen.

Pro's with work:

The 3M Damping really works and has taken the noise factor down quite a bit. I am considering putting the same in the bonnet area as suggested by the FNG but the heat from the engine might decrease its life.

The engine work has done quite a wonderful work with the NVH reduction in conjunction with the 3M Damping; it feels almost like the new avatar itself.

Cost:

So this all has cost quite a bit and I will share the full break up once my remaining work is done in 3-6 days. While I do not expect the engine mounts replacement and 3M double sided tape work to cost more than 7-8k overall I am sure about the suspension work needed.
Brishti is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 19:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Just to update as the consensus was above, I had the Compass fully detailed with an engine flush, oil bleed, wheel work, etc done from a FNG. For reducing the noise I got 3M Damping mats which worked out great but the vibrations are still there. Additionally the noises from the plastic interior/suspension when going on rough roads are also still very much present.
Sadly have to reopen this thread as the repair work did not take for very long and now the original issues have again come up. The cold months of Dec - Jan seem to have reversed all the work that was put in. 3M mats inside the car bonnet have started to come off due to water ingress. Noises from the plastic interior "Below windscreen" & suspension "Thud" never stopped.

So buying a new car is again on the table because I can't keep getting the car fixed and I now require AWD/4x4 urgently. These are the cars shortlisted and the requirements are the same as earlier (AT,AWD & low NVH) -

1. Mahindra XUV700 AX7 AWD Diesel AT
2. Hyundai Tucson Signature 2.0 4WD AT Diesel
3. Jeep Meridian Limited (O) 4X4 AT

What do you all think?
Old 18th March 2023, 20:23   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sadly have to reopen this thread as the repair work did not take for very long and now the original issues have again come up.

What do you all think?
I agree. No point holding on to something which makes you sad or causes distress. Sell off Compass as you should get a good resale value for it.

For an unhappy customer, replacing a Jeep with another Jeep is a strange move. I would put my money of the XUV700 and Tucson instead. Hope you find the right match.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 00:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sadly have to reopen this thread as the repair work did not take for very long and now the original issues have again come up. The cold months of Dec - Jan seem to have reversed all the work that was put in. 3M mats inside the car bonnet have started to come off due to water ingress. Noises from the plastic interior "Below windscreen" & suspension "Thud" never stopped.

So buying a new car is again on the table because I can't keep getting the car fixed and I now require AWD/4x4 urgently. These are the cars shortlisted and the requirements are the same as earlier (AT,AWD & low NVH) -

What do you all think?
Please let it go and reclaim your peace of mind. It's not a vehicle that ages gracefully. I parted ways with it after 2 years and mere 13k on the Odometer.

Get a Tucson and enjoy your music rather then listening to squeaks and creaks.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks