Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2022, 15:29   #1
BHPian

5-year old Compass aged too quickly | Which SUV with AWD, AT & Low NVH as upgrade?

My 2017 Compass has aged rather quickly with noises coming from the body and me unable to get them fixed even after multiple services. The engine's clatter sound is now much more than when it was new with that the overall NVH has gone down a hill.

I have received a good offer for my car and I am considering an upgrade to something which has AWD/4WD with AT and low NVH. Now here I would like to point out that my brothers Kia Seltos diesel has very low NVH even after being driven about 60k with no diesel clatter at all. I have short listed these cars on my requirements with no preference on fuel-

1. Volkswagen Tiguan Elegance 2.0 TSI DSG
2. Hyundai Tucson Signature 2.0 4WD AT Diesel
3. Jeep Meridian Limited (O) 4X4 AT
4. Skoda Kodiaq Style

Out of these I am not sure about the Jeep Meridian since its the same engine as my Compass but have heard that NVH is better than my Compass. Ground Clearance is also important to me but I can't find proper values for these cars.

What do you all think?
Brishti is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 15:50   #2
BHPian

re: Compass Upgrade need AWD, AT & Low NVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
My 2017 Compass has aged rather quickly with noises coming from the body and me unable to get them fixed even after multiple services. The engine's clatter sound is now much more than when it was new with that the overall NVH has gone down a hill.

I have received a good offer for my car and I am considering an upgrade to something which has AWD/4WD with AT and low NVH. Now here I would like to point out that my brothers Kia Seltos diesel has very low NVH even after being driven about 60k with no diesel clatter at all. I have short listed these cars on my requirements with no preference on fuel-

4. Skoda Kodiaq Style

Out of these I am not sure about the Jeep Meridian since its the same engine as my Compass but have heard that NVH is better than my Compass. Ground Clearance is also important to me but I can't find proper values for these cars.

What do you all think?
Hi Brishti,
If you have been driving a Compass since 2017 so have I & I'm in the same boat. I also looked at the Citroen C5 as a viable alternative, but their abysmal sales team has led me to believe if they are so devoid of empathy towards a prospective customer they might be worse once the customer has spent their money. Moreover, following a thread on the C5 on team-bhp I get the idea that their noses are already in the air even before they have a substantial number of customers under their belt.
So moving on, Volvo XC40 is a fantastic car to drive with fantastic suspension & let's not discuss their safety features. But the rear seat is a deal breaker, it's too upright for comfort even for short rides. So that's gone.
The VWs are very good vehicles but their after-sales service is dicy, though I'm told it is improving. But they'll never come close to a Toyota.
Same goes for the Skoda.
Hyundai Tuson is a very good package with more dependable service. Nice (for me) exteriors & interiors.
For me it seems like it's boiling down to trading in my Compass for either another Compass or the Meridian. Because the Jeep is really 'A hoot to drive' quoting someone who made that comment in one of the online reviews long back. Nothing comes close.
The Beamers, Audis & Mercs certainly do have more badge value but they seem to be hell bent on fleecing the customers in services. I have heard horror stories from my friends.
Having said all that, I do love the fantastic KIA EV6, see if you like that one
Happy shopping, may you get what you are looking for.
abhoumick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 16:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Compass Upgrade need AWD, AT & Low NVH

Quote:
What do you all think?
This thread might help you decide - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...vs-others.html (2022 Hyundai Tucson vs Jeep Compass vs Citroen C5 Aircross vs Others)

Personally, I'd pick the Kodiaq for its lovely TSI motor (superb NVH a given), second choice being the Tucson, if a diesel mill is preferred.

Last edited by cool_dube : 12th November 2022 at 16:19.
cool_dube is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 08:53   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 5-year old Compass aged too quickly | Which SUV with AWD, AT & Low NVH as upgrade?

Quote:
The Compass is a fantastic machine & you'll be hard-pressed to find a replacement with a turbo-diesel, same handling, stability & driving pleasure. These issues are clearly bothering you, but they are solvable. Trust me, many owners of new cars & 5-year old cars have bigger problems (DPF breakdowns, transmission failures, electronic issues, long wait periods for parts etc.). I don't think the problems you have listed are deal breakers. And remember the golden rule in life = a known devil is better than an unknown angel .

Would suggest you go to a good independent mechanic, pay him a premium price and sort out the noises & rattles. Invest in good damping. Turn the audio system's volume knob up. Make an investment of time & money in your existing car to bring it up to your expectations.

And please do read this thread on what to do with your 5-year old car (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?).

Quote:
4. Skoda Kodiaq Style
Skip the Meridian for sure as it's practically the same car. If you are absolutely keen on an upgrade, the Kodiaq & Tucson would be my picks from the shortlist. Don't expect the VW-Skoda crossovers to better your Compass in terms of reliability.

Last edited by GTO : 15th November 2022 at 08:55.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 09:47   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 5-year old Compass aged too quickly | Which SUV with AWD, AT & Low NVH as upgrade?

Quote:

What do you all think?
Avoid the same engine again, its origins are in the late 90's and not meant for premium vehicles due to reasons that you are now aware.

Do remember that the segment above 30L INR does not offer incremental value as such for the money you pay unless you are stretching out to German big 3 brands.
Old 15th November 2022, 09:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

From your list, Tucson gets my vote. But I am not sure if it is wise to invest in diesel now. And you are not gaining much over your current ride. Tiguan and Kodiaq are not really safe bets. My suggestion is to continue using Compass till you can upgrade to a BMW/Merc Crossover.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 15th November 2022 at 09:58.
Old 15th November 2022, 09:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

If what you desire is a car that ages gracefully, nobody does it better than the Japanese as you have mentioned no preference in terms of fuel and a need for something with low NVH, why not consider the Honda CR-V? A Honda petrol will run exactly the same in its tenth year of ownership as it did coming out of the showroom, NVH should not be an issue either and considering its global popularity, there ought to be enough folks to solve dashboard rattles (if they ever come up that is) in the future.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 11:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I why not consider the Honda CR-V?
Are you suggesting a used one? CRV has been discontinued.
Guna is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 11:46   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The only car that is the appropriate upgrade for your needs is the Skoda Kodiaq. It builds on the strengths of the Compass with a far more spacious and premium cabin and much better refinement on account of both better insulation and a supremely refined petrol engine. The DCC allows for much better ride at city speeds than the Compass, while keeping the handling equally sharp at 100kmph +. It is perhaps the only car in the 30-50L price range that actually offers decent value for money, considering how obnoxiously overpriced most cars are.

However, selling your Jeep at this point means you will take a massive depreciation hit. So, I will suggest a two pronged approach. Book the Kodiaq, the waiting period is long. In meanwhile, show some love on the Jeep. Basic stuff - proper engine flush, some damping on the doors and rear wheel well. And get your doors adjusted from any reputed FNG or denter. All this will not cost you more than 50k. If you like the results, you can always cancel the Skoda booking and postpone the upgrade for a couple of years - for the next gen Kodiaq perhaps. In case you are still keen on upgrading, well, your booking will be in place.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 15th November 2022 at 11:49.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 15:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Are you suggesting a used one? CRV has been discontinued.
Oh no I had no idea I thought they only pulled the Accord and Civic due to low popularity of sedans. Just checked new cars online is there really no Japanese D-segment soft roader available in our market? What a shame
Old 15th November 2022, 23:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

I can relate to you exactly. Now that you mention it, I recall that my two year old Compass had substantially more NVH then it was new. I remember being perturbed by the lethargic and noisy transmission but apart from that the overall NVH had definitely started to increase.

I guess that's how the Compass is built. It's not known to be a smooth low NVH car in any case but the way it ages sure seems to be surprising.

I sold the car at exactly at 2 years and took a massive hit but my reasons were more to do with a need for a more spacious vehicle.

I remember asking the service centre guys about the NVH levels and they said that the present levels are still quite low for my Jeep and they will increase as I rack up more mileage. I was surprised with that statement.

It's basically the overall resonance from the engine, transmission and body that starts to increase. I even got the underbody and mounts checked once and everything was perfect but the NVH was still higher.

It seems the whole vehicle starts to resonate and hum as it gathers more kilometers without anything being really broken or worn out. The NVH also seems to peak under specific load and RPMs I think it all boils down to a badly integrated engine and transmission combo.

I would say, cut your losses and go for the Kodiaq or Octavia (if Sedan is something you can consider).

I for myself got a new Honda City Hybrid and the NVH is unbelievable. My SUV plans are on hold till I find something worthwhile. The current crop of pseudo SUV's are nothing but overpriced hatchs on heels.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 11:23   #12
BHPian

Why not look at pre-owned Volvo XC-40? If rattles and minor niggles are the only reason you want to upgrade, then you may do well do tolerate it for some more time and wait for the new Nissan X-trail which will be a worthy upgrade to your Jeep. Tuscon may be just be a lateral shift, if you are looking to buy only from your list then I would go with Kodiaq.
Old 16th November 2022, 12:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Brishti,

Going against the tide of trying to fix your Jeep. I know it’s financially prudent to try and fix the NVH issues (and they are fixable minus the inherently poor FCA 2.0 diesel clatter), but you are clearly fed up and in no mood to live with the issues. So, don’t!

I’d say two options: either the Škoda Kodiaq (super NVH due to it being a petrol) OR a pre owned Euro luxury brand (consider X3 if you can, else maybe XC40, or even an X1). The upside to the Škoda is that it’s a truly premium SUV minus the German badge, great NVH and performance, and SUV practicality. Downside is the iffy reliability. The pre-owned Euro SUV might actually be a more satisfying upgrade - you get a properly luxury SUV (at least with X3 you do). You can also consider Pre-owned Euro sedans in case you are not married to the ‘SUV body shape’.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 16th November 2022 at 12:48.
Old 16th November 2022, 22:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Again as many others mentioned, its too early to sell your Compass.

But if you must, the only option from your shortlist that will feel some upgrade is Kodiaq. Though personally I would pick Tiguan for being most fun to drive in your shortlist.
Old 17th November 2022, 11:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:
My 2017 Compass has aged rather quickly with noises coming from the body and me being unable to get them fixed even after multiple services. The engine's clatter sound is now much more than when it was new with that the overall NVH has gone down a hill.

I have received a good offer for my car and I am considering an upgrade to something which has AWD/4WD with AT and low NVH. Now here I would like to point out that my brother's Kia Seltos diesel has very low NVH even after being driven about 60k with no diesel clatter at all. I have shortlisted these cars on my requirements with no preference for fuel-

4. Skoda Kodiaq Style

Out of these I am not sure about the Jeep Meridian since it's the same engine as my Compass but have heard that NVH is better than my Compass. Ground Clearance is also important to me but I can't find proper values for these cars.

What do you all think?
About the engine clatter issue, you can simply use a fuel additive on alternate fuel refills, will make a world of difference. System D, Waxpol etc work well with 1.3MJD engines, since this engine is also made by Fiat, it may help. Also, you can just spend 20k and insulate the cabin with better sound-damping sheets.

5yrs is nothing for a car like Jeep Compass, I am sure it will last another 5+ years easily.

About humming sounds, it comes from lose hoses/parts that vibrate at certain rpm's. If recently any service /part replacement was done, parts refitting may be the culprit.
All the best.

Last edited by SS80 : 17th November 2022 at 11:55.
SS80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks