Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2022, 14:01   #31
BHPian

re: Isuzu MU-X | Should I choose the 4x2 or 4x4? EDIT: Booked the 4x4 variant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If you can afford, buy something new, even if it means picking a Mahindra as they will at least have easy availability of spares and the prices will be affordable. We paid over Rs 70,000 to change what appeared to be jammed brakes/ rotor on a commercial truck that cost 6 Lac.

There is nothing extraordinary in MUX that you should pick over other models. Discounts may tempt you, but the MRP itself on it is bloated. Having bought multiple Isuzu's and now getting rid of them gradually, I can safely say the ones they got in the initial Years were good and still work flawlessly but the newer ones- not so. Have you heard clutch failing on a 12K Isuzu ever? It did, and apparently, there was a silent recall, so they changed without charge.
I just shared my concerns with the Isuzu people, both service and sales managers. This is what they sent me(they said this price is the same pan India;they look fine to me, but I'm not an expert):
Attached Thumbnails
Isuzu MU-X | Should I choose the 4x2 or 4x4? EDIT: Booked the 4x4 variant!-whatsapp-image-20221121-13.53.29.jpg  

JoaTMoN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 14:21   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
47L OTR Bangalore, I do not have the stomach to pay so much for an Isuzu.
Wow! Sorry I missed this price info. 47 lakhs!
For general comparison.
A Scorpio N top spec will be about 25 lacs.
The XUV700 top spec will be about 30 lacs.
The Fortuner top spec is about 57 to 63 lacs.

Considering things, the Scorpio and XUV look like real good value.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 15:06   #33
Team-BHP Support

Some invoices from the past, all for commercial trucks.

Isuzu MU-X | Should I choose the 4x2 or 4x4? EDIT: Booked the 4x4 variant!-screenshot-20221121-2.38.50-pm.png

On one of the initial CKD, we had a clutch change at 1 Lac plus, whereas on the second at 22 K

Clutch at 1 lac
Isuzu MU-X | Should I choose the 4x2 or 4x4? EDIT: Booked the 4x4 variant!-screenshot-20221121-2.38.31-pm.png

The clutch at 22 K, rest is covered under some maintenance pack.

Isuzu MU-X | Should I choose the 4x2 or 4x4? EDIT: Booked the 4x4 variant!-screenshot-20221121-3.04.40-pm.png
Isuzu MU-X | Should I choose the 4x2 or 4x4? EDIT: Booked the 4x4 variant!-screenshot-20221121-3.05.07-pm.png

Here is what I could find about that jammed hub

Initial estimate -

Isuzu MU-X | Should I choose the 4x2 or 4x4? EDIT: Booked the 4x4 variant!-whatsapp-image-20221121-2.24.12-pm.jpeg

The most expensive part -Hub (17K) was interchanged with something else- some CKD part (1,5K) of a different model based on the intervention of Isuzu.

Isuzu MU-X | Should I choose the 4x2 or 4x4? EDIT: Booked the 4x4 variant!-screenshot-20221121-2.50.43-pm.png

Final what we paid-

Isuzu MU-X | Should I choose the 4x2 or 4x4? EDIT: Booked the 4x4 variant!-screenshot-20221121-2.44.55-pm.png
Isuzu MU-X | Should I choose the 4x2 or 4x4? EDIT: Booked the 4x4 variant!-screenshot-20221121-2.45.07-pm.png

Last edited by Turbanator : 21st November 2022 at 15:12.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 15:06   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Also remember one thing. 4x4 gives you a false sense of bravado. So unless you are not educated in the art of driving a 4x4 you will venture into worse territory than a 4x2 with the false security of a 4wd and land up in trouble.

So if you are not invested in educating yourself in offroading, stick to 4x2 since that does seem to be your requirement going by the opening post.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 16:42   #35
BHPian

Ok, I guess I've got one question about which one to choose between 2WD and 4WD answered. But many more questions have come up now.

So, I am widening the choice of vehicles to MG Gloster and Toyota Fortuner. What would the Thar 5 door be like?
Old 21st November 2022, 17:06   #36
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Also remember one thing. 4x4 gives you a false sense of bravado. So unless you are not educated in the art of driving a 4x4 you will venture into worse territory than a 4x2 with the false security of a 4wd and land up in trouble.

So if you are not invested in educating yourself in offroading, stick to 4x2 since that does seem to be your requirement going by the opening post.
As a veteran off roader and indeed an off road trainer and owner of India’s first and only proper off road facility, I would happily listen to anything and everything that you have to advise us all.

In fact, I love 4x4’s and have had a reasonable amount of real life experience with them for many years.

Even so, I ended up in a mess such as this last year in December on a logging road in Coorg and had to be eased out using my good friend’s expertise. And this I brought upon myself despite being equipped with a really good 4x4 vehicle.

To top it all, this was in the presence of my Dad, with whom over the years I have experienced a good amount of real rough 4x4 work in the line of his duties.

I didn’t listen to my Dad’s caution quickly enough on that particular day. And I paid the price as you can see.

Basically one can be foolhardy and filled with bravado at any age as I am admitting to you here. Age most decidedly does not always automatically = wisdom.

This is not to discourage the OP’s passion for 4x4. I would love for him to buy and own one.

But Dr Tejas’s words of wisdom are always worth noting.
Attached Thumbnails
Isuzu MU-X | Should I choose the 4x2 or 4x4? EDIT: Booked the 4x4 variant!-166dd410ce70464da2fedcf9e468a4ab.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 21st November 2022 at 17:08.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 19:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaTMoN View Post
Ok, I guess I've got one question about which one to choose between 2WD and 4WD answered. But many more questions have come up now.

So, I am widening the choice of vehicles to MG Gloster and Toyota Fortuner. What would the Thar 5 door be like?
You can thank us later for not letting you buy that Isuzu

As Turbanator suggested, it might make sense to wait for the launch of Innova HyCross which is just around the corner - it should have much more space than the Crysta (given the new design/platform), will be very refined and comfortable to drive, and economical too. If you are still hell bent on a ladder-frame and intend to keep it for the next 10 years, Fortuner is your best bet. The 5-door Thar will still be a jeep at heart, so do not compare it to the likes of MUX, Fortuner, Scorpio-N, etc.

Last edited by cool_dube : 21st November 2022 at 19:15.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 21:55   #38
BHPian

I am not sure where I missed the 47L OTR but I would not suggest a Isuzu at that price. I got the car for 29L but the 3.5 yr old car will not fetch me even half of that.

Coming to the car ownership, I had positive experience till now but still its not the legendary 'Japanese Isuzu' reliability. While the car has not left me stranded at any point (it just keeps munching miles), many localized parts seem to be build to a cost (read cheapened). I have faced issues like Poor brake rotors warping easily, uneven brake pad wear, some oil seal leaking, rubber seals from door cabin switch falling off, EGR valve choking, some engine oil hoses going bad within 40K kms etc. For parts availability, I did not face any issue except for once when I had to wait 2 weeks for the leaking oil seal.

Coming to the dealership experince, it has been just ok. There is only one dealer for Hyderabad, and the service center is not professionally managed with no of vehicles > installed capacity. There seems to be only one master technician who is busy all the time, with vehicles waiting for his diagnosis.

To summarise, MUX is a very competent car but it somehow feels like India is being neglected by Isuzu. I am going to repeat what I had said in Nissan's X-Trail thread that I would stick to bigger manufacturers (Suzuki-Toyota, Mahindra, Tata, Hyundai-Kia) or Luxury market when spending so much! Even Honda seems to be wavering these days.
Comrade is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 14:14   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
You can thank us later for not letting you buy that Isuzu

If you are still hell bent on a ladder-frame and intend to keep it for the next 10 years, Fortuner is your best bet. The 5-door Thar will still be a jeep at heart, so do not compare it to the likes of MUX, Fortuner, Scorpio-N, etc.
Yeah, I am particular about getting a ladder frame 7 seater. Along with the Fortuner, is it worth considering the Gloster as well?

Quote:
Ever brand has merits & demerits there is no brand that will 100% fulfill our needs it will diff from one to another, if mux fulfilling your needs go for it or its all up to your choce sir, thank you.
This is what the SA said when I expressed my concerns about the feedback from current Isuzu owners in this thread regarding the parts breaking down and the maintenance costs.
Old 23rd November 2022, 21:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

To me 4x4 on these heavy truck based SUV is like insurance. You may not need it majority of the time but when you are stuck, 4x4 can be your savior. My Endeavour was 4x2 and and after getting a 4x4, realized what I missed in Endeavour. If you intend to use only as a commuter on highways only, 4x2 might be ok, but in which case a body on frame truck itself might be an overkill.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 20:24   #41

Quote:
Hello BHPians!

After having enjoyed driving my FWD Renault Duster for 6 years, I decided to upgrade it with a 7 seater diesel SUV. I tried out XUV700, Fortuner, Gloster and MU-x. XUV was fantastic to drive, Fortuner's ride quality wasn't great, Gloster's was second best, and Mu-x's felt perfect, like an all-rounder. Mu-x was also more spacious (especially the 3rd row seats) than the rest, barring the Gloster. I have short-listed Mu-x and Gloster in that order, but I am more inclined towards the Mu-x.

Now comes the problem:
  1. Since it's the year-end, there's only one colour and only 2 vehicles left in the 4x4 Mu-x model.
    Do I force myself into buying one with limited options?
  2. 4x4 is 3.4 Lakhs pricier than 4X2.
    Is the price difference justifiable?
  3. I have driven my FWD Duster in tricky roads less travelled, but never got stuck, except for once in a sandy beach.
    I might never need it, but what if, and when I need it? Will a RWD with AT be as good as MT?
  4. However, the gradeability of 4x2 is 25°, whereas that of 4x4 is 30°
    Is this a good enough difference to base my decision on?

When I started looking for cars, 4wd was my first priority, but now I'm wondering if I should really go for the 4wd, or get the 2wd instead, considering the fact that Mu-x 2wd is RWD, with good ground clearance, so it should be better than the Duster(?). Would that be sufficient, or should I go ahead and get the 4wd for an additional 3.4 lakhs?

Help me decide, I am really confused! Do I get it because I "might" NEED it someday, or do I get it because I just WANT it?

Well every passionate SUV buyer deals with this dilemma. Only you can answer your question, I'll suggest to follow your gut feeling. See, most people opt for the 2wd counterparts of any SUV (if they offer 4wd) in India so we automatically start thinking that 4wd is an extra or not required feature. And the people who own 4wds, rarely use their 2nd gearbox, so again, 4wd seems like a wasteful expenditure. How I perceive it is like when you are driving a tall boxy 2 tonner, 4wd is like a safety feature. If stuck somewhere, you can't push or pull out a 2 tonner that easily like you can do with any CUV or Hatch. The Additional grip gives you the additional sense of confidence that your car is not going to let you down ever and you have a "superpower" to go "anywhere". Well, moreover the superpower also depends upon your itch for adventure and outdoors.

So let's consider two conditions, First is that if you go for the 2wd variant. You saved 3.4 lakhs and you happily drive your vehicle in city and on highways because that are all your requirements. But whenever you would see a thar or Fortuner going OTR, you would feel a void. But still only tarmac is what you are going to hit, but then an Octavia or any sedan in that price bracket can fulfill your requirement and can do it in a much better way than the massive BOF tall boy. Alright, you need 7 seats, but then what's wrong with the Innova, it would serve your purpose better than the MU-X. The thing is that you want the Macho Butch character of a SUV, perhaps you want to bully others with your presence, in short, you want a proper big brawny SUV. I feel character doesn't come for free. Just think, why do we get the feeling what we get when we see a true blue SUV, its because of it's character, and that character is built for their reputation of their capabilities so far. Look into the history of SUV, weather you see the Jeeps or Land Cruiser, what was it which built their legacy? Their Capability built their brand. So if it is the character which attracts you towards a Body on Frame in 2022, you should enjoy it entirely. It's moreover a heart over mind thing, but it's the heart only which is pulling you towards it. It's all about the intensity of pull towards a BOF, greater the pull, more you would wish to live the legacy and character. In short when you are buying a true SUV, not only you are buying the car, but you are putting on a lifestyle.

So lets consider, you went for the 4wd option. Sadly you rarely get to use the 4wd and you are spending more money on maintenance. One day you went on a Ladhak trip and there you saw a beautiful cliff on the way, you parked your car and started clicking pictures of it and then you suddenly realized that you have a 4wd SUV, you stopped clicking, turned on the car, put it into 4H and went straight to the top of the cliff, making some trails behind. You enjoyed your day and are very satisfied with your decision of buying this lifestyle of a vehicle. You spent 3.4 lakhs more for just to enjoy the landscape, but if your itch for adventure is that much and you are concerned for the safety issues I mentioned, you won't mind spending the premium. But if you don't have that kind of calling for it, then you will waste your money in buying the more adventurous 4wd option.

So, the choice is yours, I just tried to make it easy for you to take the decision. You may even think that with the money which you will save if you go for 2wd, you can get and prepare a gypsy if going OTR is the case, and that seems to be a really good idea, but, I feel that it would surely get you the experience off-Roading for sure, but won't give you a luxury 4wd lifestyle. After all you won't take your family to Ladkah in a Gypsy.

Hope this helps, wish you happy ownership.
Indraneil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 00:18   #42
BHPian

It seems clear that you don’t need a 4x4.

With that dilemma sorted, at your budget I think your list of options needs revision. You really can find better family mile munchers today than a ladder frame, scanty spec MuX from Isuzu which doesn’t seem to take our market seriously.
Old 30th November 2022, 01:12   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indraneil View Post
........How I perceive it is like when you are driving a tall boxy 2 tonner, 4wd is like a safety feature.

......Alright, you need 7 seats, but then what's wrong with the Innova, it would serve your purpose better than the MU-X. The thing is that you want the Macho Butch character of a SUV, perhaps you want to bully others with your presence, in short, you want a proper big brawny SUV. I feel character doesn't come for free.

.......So if it is the character which attracts you towards a Body on Frame in 2022, you should enjoy it entirely. It's moreover a heart over mind thing, but it's the heart only which is pulling you towards it. It's all about the intensity of pull towards a BOF, greater the pull, more you would wish to live the legacy and character. In short when you are buying a true SUV, not only you are buying the car, but you are putting on a lifestyle.

........You spent 3.4 lakhs more for just to enjoy the landscape, but if your itch for adventure is that much and you are concerned for the safety issues I mentioned, you won't mind spending the premium.

......... a gypsy if going OTR is the case, and that seems to be a really good idea, but, I feel that it would surely get you the experience off-Roading for sure, but won't give you a luxury 4wd lifestyle. After all you won't take your family to Ladkah in a Gypsy.
Wow! Thanks for taking the time! That was an amazing read! You've got some serious quotable quotes all over the place.

Yes, I've already decided to go for the 4WD following my heart! Now the dilemma has shifted to the very choice of the Brand I've chosen. Some of the Isuzu customers are against Mu-X because they have seen the quality of parts reducing over time, while a couple of them said they would still go for another Isuzu.

I handpicked Isuzu Mu-X, MG Gloster and the Fortuner(in that order), based on the ride quality. The primary issue people have with the Mu-X is that, the company is neglecting the Indian market, while it's latest models are being sold in South East Asia. The engine size has reduced, and the price has skyrocketed. There's nothing inside the cabin. Yes, on the VFM front, the Mu-X fails miserably. However, the Fortuner isn't any better either. At least in the case of Mu-X, the dealership has offered to give me an advanced Android head unit with 360° camera, and the OTR price is 7+ lakhs lower than the Fortuner. I can use that savings on fuel and maintenance for the next 50,000 km. Although the Gloster is light years ahead of the other 2 vehicles in terms of VFM based on the features offered, I would trust the Japanese over the Chinese on reliability and durability.

That leaves me with just 2 questions to answer:
  1. Will the Mu-X run trouble-free for the next 10 to 15 years?
  2. Will the Mu-X have more resale value over the Fortuner?

While we all know the answer for the second question, my first question makes it irrelevant. When I'm going to keep it for 10 years, resale value wouldn't make sense, because, by then nearly all brands would've moved on to hybrid/EV vehicles, so even the great Fortuner would go for scrap. Also, wouldn't that 7 lakhs savings upfront compensate for the resale value later, because 7 lakh of today carries more value than 7 lakhs after 10 years?

Now, the only question that remains is whether the Mu-X will last for a decade without burning a hole in my pocket. If yes, I'd simply go ahead with the Mu-X. If the answer is no, perhaps I'd have to settle with the Fortuner. Who could possibly know though?
JoaTMoN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 11:13   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I don't view depreciating assets wearing investment glasses.
What a statement this is!! I am stealing it for my future discussions/arguments.

I would choose 4x2 and save 3.4L for running expenses. From your post you may occasionally find yourself in a situation where 4x4 might be put to use but nothing like hardcore off-roading. You can easily get out of such situation with some help or even by other means (using logs, rocks, etc).

We use our 25 years old Mahindra commander for daily mandatory off-roading to get to our farm. There are so many ways to get out of mud/sand/water other than having 4x4.

I say go ahead with the 4x2 option.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 15:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OTR price is 7+ lakhs lower than the Fortuner
This is incorrect - please refer to on-road prices (for your location) of the Fortuner (here) and MU-X (here). The difference is barely ₹ 4 lac across respective standard 4x4 AT variants.

Going by your posts, your heart seems to have settled on the MU-X. If you are really convinced, do not bother about resale value, and okay with the power on tap, just go for it.

Last edited by cool_dube : 30th November 2022 at 15:40.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks