Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2022, 10:55   #1

Thinking of buying a Mahindra TUV300 AMT, but forum reports are scaring me

I am looking to buy a pre-owned car for sometime now and yesterday came to know about this 2017 TUV300 T8 AMT dualtone which apparently is in great condition. The car has done about 65,000 kms and the owner is firm at Rs 5 lakhs.

I was hesitiant for the test drive as the locality has narrow lanes with quite a bit of foot traffic, but the owner insisted that I do a short test drive. He drove the car to a a very pothole laden, undulating and unpaven road and I liked the suspension quite a bit. My father was in the back seat and he liked it a lot as well. For reference, our daily city drive is a Tiago and our highway runs are done in our Honda City. So the TUV will compliment our existing cars very nicely. Anyways, the owner then insisted that I drive the car as that road is quite wide. I agreed and drove it for about 10 minutes, never exceeding 35 kmph. I liked how it drove, the pickup and the response. I then gained enough courage that I drove back to his home through the narrow lanes.

At the time of the testdrive I was not aware of the reports in this forum about the AMT issues, the lags, jerks, sudden acceleration and braking response or the lack thereoff. I did not experience any of these in my short test drive, but I never drove it fast or in a bumper to bumper traffic or on an incline. It was very illuminating reading all these reports and experiences of other members here and to be honest quite disheartening, as I really liked the car, and especially the colors, creamy white with black dual tone. But if its going to be give me trouble in the near future, I better avoid it. Reliabilty is my first concern as without that peace of mind is gone, I cannot trust the car outside of the City, money draining to fix the issues and wasted time.

I looked for long-term reviews here for the AMT but only found some for the MTs. Some members here has advised other members to not go for the AMTs. So with these in mind what should I do? Is the price right? Is it worth the hassle?

I will really appreciate if the knowledgable members here please chime in and guide me to the right direction. A couple of months back, I posted here about a Ecosports and got really great guidance and did not puruse the car any longer. I am hoping I get the same great guidance and help.

Thank you.
tyroneshoelaces is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 13:01   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Thinking of buying a Mahindra TUV300 AMT, but forum reports are scaring me

The MT is very good, light clutch , easy controls and a very tractable engine. You should go for the 100 bhp version if at all it comes your way - MT only, no AMT please.

AMT is to be avoided as per the technician from M&M.
Kosfactor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 08:15   #3
BHPian

re: Thinking of buying a Mahindra TUV300 AMT, but forum reports are scaring me

AMT was stopped by Mahindra as they couldn't rectify all issues associated with it and there was no point spending on an AMT model which was already not selling well.

Avoid AMT as you won't get spares.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 12:12   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Thinking of buying a Mahindra TUV300 AMT, but forum reports are scaring me

Absolutely avoid the TUV300, it is a horrible match. The AMT is jerky & terribly unreliable. A BHPian or two got so fed up that they sold the car prematurely.

The TUV300 otherwise is a very good car, especially in the "plus" guise where it got the bigger 2.2L diesel engine. I'd say it's a superior car to even the last-gen Scorpio.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 15:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Around 2009 or so Mahindra offered an AT variant of the Scorpio MHawk. The gearbox fitted was sourced from Australia. A friend who owned one was stranded in his Scorpio AT in a snowy tract in J&K. The SUV was taken in a truck to the ASC and post repairs, it was sold soon after.

And now the TUV 300 AMT issues have surfaced. Most other car brands offer AMT's but we rarely read about malfunction.

The lesson we can now draw would be to train ourselves to keep a long distance away from such Mahindra AMT's.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 22nd November 2022 at 21:17. Reason: As requested
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 10:05   #6

Thanks everyone for your valuable insights. I cannot believe GTO himself replied to my question and helped me out. Wow.
I have let the owner know that I am not interested.
Thank you all. Much appreciated.
tyroneshoelaces is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 18:34   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

There is much more to a car than just it's ruggedness or ability to tackle bad roads. Thats where the TUV wanted to set it's USP. But that's highly overrated. Any car with a decent ground clearance will do equally well on bad roads maybe with a slightly lesser speed. End of the day the suspension takes a beating no matter which car it is. So don't go by that aspect and finalize this contraption. It stands in between the proven Bolero and the XUV and failed to achieve that middle ground which it was supposed to.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 08:05   #8
BHPian

Some marriages are made in heaven and some are not meant to be. I'm afraid but this one falls in the latter. The AMT was so troublesome that Mahindra simply discontinued the model after a short span as they were incompetent of rectifying the issues. There are many documented incidents even on our forum where owners were so frustrated that they had to sell their cars. Glad to see you have finalized against the deal.
Bhupi_BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 13:29   #9
BHPian

Don't touch it with an 100 yards stick. Period. I am one of the unfortunate owners of TUV AMT who sold it prematurely due to recurring AMT issues. Go with MT variant if you really want TUV 300 or avoid it completely.
Old 17th January 2023, 21:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneshoelaces View Post
I am looking to buy a pre-owned car for sometime now and yesterday came to know about this 2017 TUV300 T8 AMT dualtone which apparently is in great condition. The car has done about 65,000 kms and the owner is firm at Rs 5 lakhs.

Reliabilty is my first concern as without that peace of mind is gone, I cannot trust the car outside of the City, money draining to fix the issues and wasted time.
Just as I read the title of the thread, my father was describing an issue, on of our relative faced out on the highway. The steering became dead all of a sudden at speeds of 30 kph, just as they accelerated out of a stop. They have also faced many other rattling issues, and I have personally seen how the gear lever dances all around like a typical 70's Jeep. I will suggest to avoid it.
Old 28th January 2023, 15:16   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneshoelaces View Post
I am an existing TUV 300 AMT owner. It's transmission started giving issues after couple of years of ownership and Mahindra had replaced it with a new unit. I have not faced any issues with the new AMT after using it for last 4-5 years. Although once bitten twice shy, so I avoid taking the vehicle to areas with heavy traffic jams but it is probably only a fear. To be fair the new AMT unit has never ditched me in the traffic situations as well and it's my daily ride.

I have grown accustomed to the car and I know exactly how the transmission behaves so can extract the full juice out of it. I actually enjoy driving it. Have also driven it in hills and was pleasantly surprised by it's behvaiour. My brother, on the other hand, hates it and he owns an automatic Ertiga. It is very bumpy, just like old Scorpio and long drive in it will exhausting by folks over certain age.

I think if someone just needs one car for all his needs then TUV300 can be avoided as it's not exactly a family car, but I personally like the car more with each passing year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks