Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2022, 19:32   #1

What offroader or SUV to haul drones?

I have a startup and we need to deliver full sized agricultural Drones from time to time. As we are new, I use my own vehicles to take the systems and deliver them. Funny enough, the larger drones fit in the rear seat Tiago but not in the Xcent. Moreover, I can fold the rear seat of Tiago and use it to take heavy drones as well.

At this point, we have to carry out systems almost everyday for testing or for deliveries. I am thinking of picking up a SUV so that I can haul the drones (probably a softer bed). But my budget is very limited as it will be used by my engineers and pilots.

I have seen other companies (most survey companies and not manufacturing ones like us) use old Innovas and boleros. I had Evalia on my mind for a long time but service becomes a challenge and I am not really looking for surprises as I take shocks on a daily basis (perks of being a founder)

I was looking at MM540 and bolero but I am unable to make a choice. Please do suggest something. My budget is a little low at 4.2L and i would be happy to maintain it and keep it in condition for the next 5 years.
sidbarabari is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 22:00   #2
BHPian

re: What offroader or SUV to haul drones?

Extrapolating on your space requirements from the Tiago, I would highly recommend you consider a used Jazz with magic seats or a Wagon R. Now if you definitely need an off roader, the best bang for your buck is a Gypsy, a previous generation Thar, maybe wait for the Jimny or indeed even a Mahindra maxitruck or the like
imp! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 23:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Extrapolating on your space requirements from the Tiago, I would highly recommend you consider a used Jazz with magic seats or a Wagon R. Now if you definitely need an off roader, the best bang for your buck is a Gypsy, a previous generation Thar, maybe wait for the Jimny or indeed even a Mahindra maxitruck or the like
To be frank, I am using the Tiago because it's what I have and I need to upgrade it to an suv. Jimny would exceed my budget and i think something from Mahindra would be my best bet. I was also looking at the old safari so that I can use it in highways as well as an crew cab but still remove and use last row seats for storage
sidbarabari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 00:19   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you are on the right track in considering the Bolero. But, I am not sure of the condition of the vehicle you would get under 5L.

If CNG is available around you, you could consider a Maruti Eeco CNG as well perhaps? Service support will probably be similar to that of Bolero, or maybe a tad better.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 08:55   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

5 lakhs is a limited budget and any SUV you get will be old, abused or both. I would say the Eeco CNG will be just perfect for your intended usage. There is a reason why it's the default choice of delivery / courier companies in India. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, lots of storage in the "box" and abuse-friendly. Also consider the Tata Ace.

If you are absolutely keen on a used SUV, go for a previous-gen Thar and remove the rear seats for cargo space. It'll serve the purpose for delivery, and you'll enjoy driving it when you do. Alternate options = Bolero or Scorpio.

Avoid the MM540s. They are now too old, too crude and too slow. You'll get a 1st-gen Thar for ~5 lakhs.

Last edited by GTO : 26th November 2022 at 09:03.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 13:49   #6
BHPian

Re: What offroader or SUV to haul drones?

You need comfort and luggage space.

Why not a Xylo?

Comfortable than Bolero in terms of ride and with last row removed, you can challenge pickup trucks for boot space.

Spares should not be a problem as its M&M.

Here are few examples:

https://www.olx.in/item/mahindra-xyl...iid-1710352395

https://www.olx.in/item/mahindra-xyl...iid-1704126901
SuperGirl_Dad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 17:02   #7

IMHO
A lot of daily wage + goods carriers + owner cum drivers are available in the market. These owner’s are looking for steady work. Check if you can find and hire them for a monthly running, giving them fixed income.

Will save you from hassle of maintenance + driver + it’s a good lesson in maintenance (incase you feel you need one)

Do the math, and decide.

Regards
Huzi
Huzi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 18:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbarabari View Post
I have a startup and we need to deliver full sized agricultural Drones from time to time. As we are new, I use my own vehicles to take the systems and deliver them. Funny enough, the larger drones fit in the rear seat Tiago but not in the Xcent. Moreover, I can fold the rear seat of Tiago and use it to take heavy drones as well.

At this point, we have to carry out systems almost everyday for testing or for deliveries. I am thinking of picking up a SUV so that I can haul the drones (probably a softer bed). But my budget is very limited as it will be used by my engineers and pilots.

I have seen other companies (most survey companies and not manufacturing ones like us) use old Innovas and boleros. I had Evalia on my mind for a long time but service becomes a challenge and I am not really looking for surprises as I take shocks on a daily basis (perks of being a founder)

I was looking at MM540 and bolero but I am unable to make a choice. Please do suggest something. My budget is a little low at 4.2L and i would be happy to maintain it and keep it in condition for the next 5 years.
Go with Eeco eyes closed. You may have to extend a budget a bit for new one but you will get 100% peace of mind. It gives you maximum Sq feet for the money. Also it's very fuel efficient and easy to drive and maintain. Service is not a issue at all being a Maruti.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 18:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think with the budget, it should be an Eeco or even an OMNI. With 5 lakhs, I think you can get 2 Omnis (if you are lucky). I think that will take care of future needs as well. Or try to get a TATA 207, they are heavy duty and might be available around the budget for used ones.
Old 27th November 2022, 19:17   #10
BHPian

Eeco suits your requirements to a T

Alternatively you can buy Tata Ace for a huge cargo bay, but running a Goods Carrying Commercial Vehicle is a slightly expensive proposition (Taxes , insurance, periodic Fitness tests by RTO)

Used Taveras can also be a good choice; removing the last row of seats(forward facing type) will give you lots of space. if it's the jump seat variant, you can simply fold it. The front and middle row seats will be reasonably comfortable. Being a Chevrolet, they will come cheap and go cheaper. 2016 models with approx 1.50 lac kms on the odo can be had at that price with just the right bit of bargaining. The BS-4 have Sonalika ICML engines, while the older BS3 will probably have the Isuzu engines.

You can also look at Tata Sumo Gold, of 2017-18 at similar prices. The rear jump seats could be folded up for a massive cargo space and you are good to go. Personally I felt the Tavera to be more comfortable than the Sumo. Of course the Sumo might be up for rougher roads than the Tavera

Last edited by Voodooblaster : 27th November 2022 at 19:21. Reason: Adding content
Voodooblaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 17:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ritz, it should suit your purpose and you will find one well below your budget.
Its taller inside, sufficiently wider ( Wider than tiago ) and has a K12b engine.

Last edited by silverado : 28th November 2022 at 17:21.
Old 28th November 2022, 21:57   #12
BHPian

I would suggest sticking to ladder on frame RWD vehicles only. Eeco etc is good for paved roads; with load it won’t last long on rural roads/ paths. Plus you’ll have multiple drivers using it. Renting would also be a good alternative. Bolero camper is awesome for the purpose -some states like HR even give it with white plate.
Edit: I think in Andhra/Telangana Isuzu had substantial discount as it was locally manufactured- so maybe cheaper used too. Also IIRC has good service support in you that area. It’s definitely much superior to Mahindra.

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 28th November 2022 at 22:01.
Old 28th November 2022, 23:24   #13
BHPian

Agree with others that first option comes is Eeco. Other option is used first generation Ertiga. I think its possible to fold both 2nd and 3rd rows or you may remove 3rd row and fold 2nd row when required to create space.
Vishal.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 16:59   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I think you are on the right track in considering the Bolero. But, I am not sure of the condition of the vehicle you would get under 5L.
That's great. I can't really work with an Eeco CNG mostly because I am lazy and in Hyderabad, CNG stations aren't exactly easy to approach.

But Eeco is a wonderful suggestion. It's at the top of my list at this point. I will take a test drive and decide on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
5 lakhs is a limited budget and any SUV you get will be old, abused or both. I would say the Eeco CNG will be just perfect for your intended usage.
That's great. I was thinking of you specifically when I asked for an MM540 considering your experience with Mahindra's off-roaders. I can't really go for commercial ones like the ace as I don't want my systems to go through a lot of vibrations as we have to go through a lot of calibrations.

I live in Hyderabad, and the price for pre-'14 Thars still holds well too. I was thinking of a suv as we have to reach untouched places for a survey, and surveillance. But a softroader will do too.

I was very keen on Nissan Evalia but I can't find anything decent around me. By weird coincidence, I found a Leyland style which I stayed away from

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGirl_Dad View Post
You need comfort and luggage space.

Why not a Xylo?
I have seen a lot of boleros in the field and I heard complaints about bolero pickups from the tech teams as they travel with the systems. Of course, the engines, refinement and suspension are a very different setup but the bolero is on the list.

I have used Xylo before, and If the boot space without the last row is comfortable, I might look into the same. Plus, I like the RWD system and power though I am scared of its dynamics.

Thank you very much for taking your time on the searches. Those are some nice examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
I think with the budget, it should be an Eeco or even an OMNI. With 5 lakhs, I think you can get 2 Omnis (if you are lucky). I think that will take care of future needs as well. Or try to get a TATA 207; they are heavy-duty and might be available around the budget for used ones.
That's a great thought. I am looking for something that I can drive to the client too. So the stance requirement. I can't work with an Omni but considering the fact that I am broke because of all the R&D, I would probably go for the Eeco

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Ritz, it should suit your purpose and you will find one well below your budget.
Its taller inside, sufficiently wider ( Wider than tiago ) and has a K12b engine.
I have seen used Maruti 800s the older Post SS80 models used to transport my very drones by the customers mostly farmers and service providers.

The only reason I wouldn't opt for Ritz is that the doors would get scratched because of loading and unloading. Learnt by experience as a hatchback user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Edit: I think in Andhra/Telangana Isuzu had substantial discount as it was locally manufactured- so maybe cheaper used too. Also IIRC has good service support in you that area. It’s definitely much superior to Mahindra.
True. Isuzu had a good stand before the GST era as it did cost close to 12 lakhs in AP and around 14.5L in TG. Now it just feels way too costly for a startup like mine. But yes. I have used an Isuzu for hauling drones and i love it to the core. I have looked into Tata Xenon a lot but wasnt able to find a good example around my place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
Agree with others that first option comes is Eeco. Other option is used first generation Ertiga. I think its possible to fold both 2nd and 3rd rows or you may remove 3rd row and fold 2nd row when required to create space.
True. I had a weird time with Marutis and maybe it's because I have seen our crashed Zen back in '07 but yes. I think if I can find a good example and if the ground clearance is right, i should look into an Ertiga

Mod Note: Please use the Multi-Quote function while replying, quote relevant portions and proofread before posting.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 29th November 2022 at 17:48. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts
sidbarabari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 17:29   #15

Sorry Mod. Didnt notice the multi- quote function. I am posting some pictures which might help you suggest me well as you can get a gist of the size of our system. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
What offroader or SUV to haul drones?-screenshot_20221129165624860-1.jpg  

What offroader or SUV to haul drones?-screenshot_20221129165445008-1.jpg  

What offroader or SUV to haul drones?-img20221114wa0010.jpg  

sidbarabari is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks