Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2022, 12:09   #16
BHPian

Re: What SUV for a frugal/minimalist chap? Mind refusing to spend 28-lakhs on Scorpio-N or XUV700

As you have mentioned that you are conservative on spending, it strikes out scorpio N, diesel AT's fuel economy is definitely not frugal. An expensive car is expensive to maintain, insurance, extended warranty, wear and tear parts,even car wash and car covers are expensive for those cars.

700 is a good choice, you've got to wait at least a year for delivery, or you can wait for the upcoming Innova hycross or Hector facelift.

If you are willing to buy manual, then present gen Hector diesel will please your mind and heart, with new model around the corner, fat discounts are possible.

If recession ghost scares you, better park your funds for time being, enjoy your long drives by renting cars.
Old 28th December 2022, 12:23   #17
BHPian

Re: What SUV for a frugal/minimalist chap? Mind refusing to spend 28-lakhs on Scorpio-N or XUV700

No, it doesn't make sense. Hold onto your money.

I'm in the same boat. I won't call myself a minimalist, yet, I do not think today's cars are worth the money. 28l for an XUV 700 that will keep seeing niggles every 4-5 months. No can do!

The Scorpio N is more value for money but XUV 700 and Scorpio are vastly different. You'll need to be able to live with bumpy ride (albeit better than the outgpon version) which is definitely a no go for parents. Also, same niggles. BS6 diesels don't like being parked, so you'll need to buy a petrol. Now imagine an EMI of 40k for the on road price of 25-28l and add to it petrol prices for the roadtrip.

Sorry bro, it doesn't make financial sense to me. There is no solution to FOMO though. I'd suggest you keep driving the i10.

Upgrading cars for safety is like upgrading appliances for energy efficiency star rating. Both of these have been built for planned obsolescence. A safe car today may be considered unsafe tomorrow due to newer norms - tech advancements, infrastructure advancements etc. We are overselling the safety aspect. Remember, 5 star rated cars are tested at 64kmph for frontal collision, a measely 32kmph speed for each car. We drive at higher speeds within city limits. It is important we buy a safe car. But IMHO today's tests set the safety bar too low.

P.S. My rationale is purely financial. I assume if you had that kind of money lying around for no good use, you'd not be writing here

Last edited by kaushikduttajsr : 28th December 2022 at 12:28.
kaushikduttajsr is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 12:59   #18
BANNED

Is your love for travel strictly restricted for within India? Then definitely go ahead and buy an SUV. If you love to explore different terrains and geographies, then spend that money on travelling abroad. No point visiting the Himalayas multiple times, its like ordering Chicken biriyani or Chilli chicken when having a dine out. I as a person doesn’t like to visit the places I have seen once.

A pre-owned SUV would be good enough within a budget of ₹15 lakhs, provided it is about 6-9 months salary.
Old 28th December 2022, 13:17   #19
BHPian

Bolero Neo is the answer you're looking for.I was in a similar position as you, looking for an alternative to the low-lying Fiat Linea. My Parents have adapted to it surprisingly well. Keep the speed limited to 80, the NVH is pretty good, as well as the road manners.

It is the option that will appeal to the minimalistic in you. And swallow all the luggage your wife/family may wish to carry on trips.

Will also leave plenty of budget to upgrade the i10 in the near future.

The money saved will be better spent on fuel/travel expenses etc.
drsingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 14:00   #20
BHPian

IF you are a frugal person who loves to travel a lot. then my suggestion would be to take following steps:

1. Book an XUV700 AT right away ( as GTO suggested here, a good SUV though might appear expensive at 28 lacs+ is still a much better choice for your next 10 year life as a bhpian). in all likeliness it will have a delivery date of beyond 2024 only. this way you are saved from the dilemma of spending big moolah in 2023.

2. Buy a well maintained Toyota corolla/Altis and start driving it after getting recommended maintenance. it will be the best car for you as driver and parents in rear seats over long drives. Total cost of running will be much less than a new car and than any other used car out there still will give you all comfort & safety of a premium car ( if not of a luxury car).

3. let 2023 pass( the fear of recession is real I agree). By then you would have recovered the cost of acquiring the corolla ( by saving on EMI of-course) and would have a clearer mind on whether to spend big 30 lacs on an SUV or go for a used one.

Believe me, you can never go wrong with a used car like Corolla/Altis in this market where cars seems overpriced and have 1 year+ waiting period.
Strider24 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 14:27   #21
BHPian

Selling a 3 year old car is a big no-no usually, as you have to take big hit in the value as typically the car depreciates a lot in the first 3 years the most (there are exceptions). But sometime it is ok to let the pain go with some loss rather than going through the pain and think about it everyday.

Frugal means many things to many but to be frugal and then getting a car under 30 lakhs, the only vehicle I can think of which at the moment, offers a lot of feel good factor is the Hycross along with a high probability of it retaining it's value for years to come, FRUGAL to run (hybrid) and feel GREEN about it, low maintenance, offer class leading ride quality (it should, at least better than the Crysta) etc. Toyota has put its brain, mind and soul into this to make a unique offering.

Looks fairly it is higher from the ground (185mm) vs City's 165mm. But Hycross should have better shocks and shouldn't scrap even with full load. Do a test drive especially around the area where you feel your City scraps a lot and decide. Finally, Hycross feels premium inside out.

If you have the courage, time, patience to manage the niggles of brand new product especially from Mahindra (so far they are not that bad though, from the long term reviews), better to go with N (Auto Diesel in the middle range like Z6 or less and you want a BoF macho SUV). Again, N is not a vehicle for Bangalore like place and its traffic unless you planned to do lots of outstation trips. But, I feel, at the moment, nothing can compete with N at this price range and up to 40 lakhs.
sgmuser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 16:55   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda City is one of the most comfortable cars on sale today. If you didn't find it comfortable, I am puzzled how a Scorpio N or a XUV7OO or a thar is going to be comfortable enough for you.

SUVs have much more body roll and aren't as plush as the city. Please take extensive test drives before writing the cheque.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 17:16   #23
BHPian

True frugal approach would be to go for a new car and avoid used ones (I am a big fan of used cars but given the current price levels it makes sense to buy a new one)

- Fortuners are in high demand and insanely expensive in used market (not VFM)
- Patero : I would not invest given Mitsubishi exit and thin support network
- Hexa : Personally not comfortable with TATAs reliability (especially larger vehicles)

Both Mahindra SUVs (XUV & Scorpio-N) fulfils you criteria of "good/ safe & reliable" in the given budget range. Compass / Meridian are a stretch and not VFM when compared to XUV

Among the two Mahindras

XUV is plush, full of delight and offers high level of comfort and practicality, and coupled with its powerful engine its is the the best car available at sub 30L (but not a true SUV)

Scorpio-N come with its own quirks (folding of third row, less feature than XUV, climbing into the care) but its is the only true 3 row SUV available sub 30L (proper 4x4, BOF structure), Also it will be uncomfortable for your parents to climb up to the seats

It all boils down to what your heart wants !
Old 28th December 2022, 17:40   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Honda City is one of the most comfortable cars on sale today. If you didn't find it comfortable, I am puzzled how a Scorpio N or a XUV7OO or a thar is going to be comfortable enough for you.

SUVs have much more body roll and aren't as plush as the city. Please take extensive test drives before writing the cheque.
Drive around in the ScorpioN or the XUV7OO - especially the AT versions for a good while and then try the City.

Sure they both are a bit far from a Sedan but give it a shot, see if that compromise is worth it.

How about a BOF vehicle with steering that is lighter than a Celerio or a Honda Brio? Yes!
Old 28th December 2022, 18:33   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Looks like Scorpio N has got some new, more affordable variants.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...2-49-lakh.html (Mahindra Scorpio-N gets 5 new variants priced from Rs 12.49 lakh)

Bolero Neo is also another option you could consider.
I second the Bolero Neo suggestion. Excellent SUV with true blue body on frame construction and amazing value for money, true to the frugality clause . Only downers are there is no 4x4 offered and once they phased out the TUV 300, Mahindra did not extend the AMT versions into the Bolero Neo.

Last edited by rpmx1000 : 28th December 2022 at 18:34. Reason: Grammar
Old 28th December 2022, 19:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Get yourself a first gen fortuner. Most minimalistic and rugged thing you can get and it will cost you maybe 15L max for the 2015 4x4 variant. Put the rest of the money into a liquid fund and let that cover fuel costs.
Old 28th December 2022, 20:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

If you are thinking about 'pre-owned' route, I would suggest used Japanese/Korean SUVs such as Honda CRV, Hyundai Tucson (even low run Santa Fe). Pre owned Duster (came with options like AWD, petrol turbo etc) would be truly minimalistic.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 09:49   #28
BHPian

This post doesn’t make much sense imo.
If you’re buying a “sensible” ICE car for 30L you’re already paying 15L in taxes upfront. Now factor in fuel costs, running costs, maintenance, salary of a driver (if you plan on keeping one) and other expenses like Tolls etc. It just doesn’t make sense.

If you really want to make sense in this car buying decision, don’t buy one.

Rent a Taxi (Innova) max he’ll take is ₹20/km.
This means you are already paying 75,000km worth of taxi money already when your ODO is at 0 km of your new car.
QuentinTino is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 10:01   #29
BHPian

Frugal for me is 1. Fuel efficiency 2. Low maintenance and reliability 3. Long term reliability

No other brands come to mind than Toyota. I think the new Innova Hycross will suit your requirement. It is hybrid and hence will ensure good efficiency. It is An Innova and you can use it for the next 15 years.
Old 29th December 2022, 14:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

If body on frame construction and 7 seats are not required then is there anything wrong in the new Grand Vitara? It is a maruti suzuki at the end of the day so ought to be simple and reliable plus for the first time they seem to have loaded it to the gills with all the tech available so should prove satisfactory for long term ownership I suppose.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks