Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which car should I upgrade to?
Hyundai Tucson Signature Diesel 4WD 45 26.63%
Toyota Innova Hycross ZX(O) 85 50.30%
Jeep Meridian Diesel Limited (O) 20 11.83%
Other Cars/None of the above 3 19 11.24%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2023, 22:46   #1
BHPian

Looking for an upgrade from Tata Hexa XTA | Tucson, Innova Hycross, Meridian, Others?

My Tata Hexa XTA has been serving me and family very well for last 5 years and 3 months. There wasn't a single episode of stalling anywhere, anytime. Covered about 50k kms (I usually do about 15k kms in an year. But the pandemic years caused quite low mileage for about 2 years). It has been a reliable highway rider and could take any road at ease.

Let me list the likes and dislikes of Hexa that I have.

• Capable highway cruiser. Effortless in munching miles.
  • Loads of space in the middle row bench seat. Better half and my 4-year old son are very happy spending time there.
  • About 540L-ish boot space with third row folded down - can dump a week of family luggage or even more easily. So very good for those long vacations.
  • The Sports mode of the transmission is very addictive. You can activate it even if you need a bit of engine braking.
  • Can tackle broken roads with ease (or even those mars like crater filled non-existent roads)
  • Audio system is VFM. Probably the best in the segment still.

Dislikes:
  • No ESP/Traction Control on AT - this was a compromise I made while purchasing. I recall some really scary moments during heavy rains a few times. ESP would've assisted me much better.
  • 5" touch screen of the ICE is useless. I have mounted a Rs.12k Realme tablet on top of it using magnets last year. This helps me in navigation, for monitoring tyre pressure, playing music etc.
  • TASS - I was ok with the old TASS. At the time I bought Hexa, Tata's service centers weren't crowded. They gave Hexa owners some good consideration since Hexa was their flagship car. They spared all time in the world even to go behind slightest of rattle/niggles. Current Tata ASS is different - they are overwhelmed with number of cars come in on a given day. KHT Whitefield (Bangalore) gave me appointment on 19th day (18 days from that date was completely booked). The person who attended the call even suggested me to go to Kropex Marathahalli! Until last year my city in Kerala (Palakkad - District headquarters) didn't have a single TASS.
  • Rattle noises, build quality issues - I never had high expectations. But this probably is a better Tata build compared to other cars. Rattle noises are happening despite the doors dampened - but this is not an impossible thing to tackle, just that it needs time and patience.
  • Design flaws - R19 tyres was unnecessary and I swapped my R19 for XM variant's R16 alloys and tyres. Two exhaust pipes setup had issues and Tata did a recall and replaced the same. The third row doesn't fall flat - you can't keep suit cases vertically.
  • There are ergonomic issues - difficult to find a good seating position for the driver. No steering reach adjust.

I have been thinking quite long before deciding to replace the car. I had owned a Fiat Punto for 6 years prior to owning Hexa and I was all game for a good driving car and wasn't bothered much about the ASS network etc. I had time enough to chase niggles and issues of my cars (I have a Hyundai New Santro in the stable as well). Times changed and I became a father and got a lot involved in my work at office - as a result, I don't have time to spare to keep pampering my cars. While Santro is used predominantly by my better half and that is the go-to-car for city drives, the bigger car will be used for my office drives and highway rides (7-8 of them in an year minimum).

Listing my needs of the new car below:
  • Should be an effortless mile muncher - highway drives are first priority. Powerful engine and a good transmission with a nice suspension setup.
  • It should be capable of going through broken roads without much struggle (just to tackle the surprises during long drives).
  • Comfortable 5-seater with at least 500L of boot space. 7-seater isn't a priority any more and is just a good to have.
  • Good ergonomics for driver, passengers.
  • NVH - should have good insulation from factory. Refined engine/power unit is a must. Good build quality is must.
  • Good ASS - service and support backing should be decent.
  • Most importantly, it should be a safe car - no compromise on that. I'm someone who bought a baby car seat from week 1 after my child was born and someone who demands all passengers in my car to wear seat
    belts.
  • 45L OTR at Bangalore is my max budget.

Options that I consider currently are:
  • Hyundai Tucson Signature Diesel 4WD - Powerful, Hyundai ASS backing, 540L boot space, Euro Safety Spec, Concerns over parts availability (Tucson is CKD, after all) and concern over feasibility of service across non-signature Hyundai service centers (only technicians at signature service centers are trained on Tucson). One time test driven - will do a few more to get convinced.
  • Toyota Innova Hycross ZX(O) - Spacious, but a 4-seater if third row folded down, uncertainty over Hybrid power unit's performance in hills and highways. Amazing resale and excellent TOYOTA ASS is worth considering.
  • Jeep Meridian Diesel Limited (O) - A capable Jeep with good ride and handling just like the Compass. Useless third row. Unreliable ASS, but the car is tempting.

Heart says Tucson, head says Hycross. Inviting opinions/suggestions from fellow BHP-ians.

Last edited by vinodvayyat : 7th January 2023 at 23:06. Reason: Added a point
vinodvayyat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 23:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Looking for an upgrade from Tata Hexa XTA | Tucson, Innova Hycross, Meridian, Others?

Hycross is good and is the only one in the market with decent boot space with all 3 rows up. However, it now has a 1 year waiting list so I would probably just get the Tucson. It gets AWD + better quality cameras + more fun to drive.
Cresterk is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 23:41   #3
BHPian

re: Looking for an upgrade from Tata Hexa XTA | Tucson, Innova Hycross, Meridian, Others?

I'll have to add further to your confusion! I've experienced the Meridian and Tucson and at least out of the both of them, I'd recommend the Meridian diesel. The transmission isn't the wittiest out there but it's a wonderful highway machine. Incredibly accomplished at munching miles. The car also feels solidly put together and at least feels solid like the Hexa.

The Tucson has a more powerful diesel but in all other aspects, it felt like a jack of all trades and a master of none. I didn't find the comfort to be particularly outstanding (which I did in the Meridian, combined with the luxurious-looking dark brown interiors). Had it not been for the questionable reliability of Jeeps, I'd have recommended it immediately.

However, if you'd like to tip your decision a little bit in your heart's favour, the Meridian is what would suit you best. Test driving all these cars one after the other should help greatly. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 7th January 2023 at 23:43.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 23:54   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Listing my needs of the new car below:
Should be an effortless mile muncher - highway drives are first priority. Powerful engine and a good transmission with a nice suspension setup.
It should be capable of going through broken roads without much struggle (just to tackle the surprises during long drives).
Comfortable 5-seater with at least 500L of boot space. 7-seater isn't a priority any more and is just a good to have.
Good ergonomics for driver, passengers.
NVH - should have good insulation from factory. Refined engine/power unit is a must. Good build quality is must.
Good ASS - service and support backing should be decent.
Most importantly, it should be a safe car - no compromise on that. I'm someone who bought a baby car seat from week 1 after my child was born and someone who demands all passengers in my car to wear seat
belts.
45L OTR at Bangalore is my max budget.
I see the XUV7OO as a car that can tick off most boxes, barring that I don't know your experience of steering feedback of the EPS in XUV.

The ladder-on-frame ScorpioN may be similar, but the monocoque XUV700 will have better torsional rigidity which along with its 2nd Gen FSD, and overall design - is as close to sedan-like driving feel as can be. Its also the safest car in that segment.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 00:22   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Fellow 2017 XTA owner here.

I have booked a ZX HyCross, and I will be upgrading to the ZX(o). Fact is that this new Innova is the closest like for like replacement for the big Tata, for nothing else can actually seat two adults in the third row in any modicum of comfort and still have boot space for weekend luggage. The hybrid powertrain will offer phenomenal refinement and low running costs. As brilliant as the Hexa is, after 6 years (10 year limit in NCR), BS4 limitations in winters and with the deteriorating experience at TASS, I am looking forward to a decade of no nonsense, fuss free and high quality motoring.

Meridian is simply too tight for space, in comparison. And with a Compass in the garage, I can tell you that Jeep maintenance is EXPENSIVE. It is a phenomenal highway machine though. Too bad the AT gearbox sucks in traffic. Overall, too many compromises.

Tucson can be an option but honestly, I am not too impressed. I’d rather spend on the Skoda Kodiaq instead. The big Skoda is perhaps the single most capable, well rounded and polished car you can buy for 45L. It is the perfect and complete all rounder. We have one in the family. As long as you don’t have an extremely rough usage scenario, the kind that demands a Fortuner, this is the car for you. The sweet TSi engine make every other motor in this price range seem pedestrian, petrol or diesel.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 8th January 2023 at 00:27.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 01:07   #6
BHPian

I voted for Hycross. I think it will be a safe bet. I haven't experienced Meridian and Hycross in person. But I can for sure say Tucson is not a replacement for a big car like Hexa. As bhpian Shreyans Jain suggested, Kodiaq is a good consideration. All the best in choosing the right car.
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 02:14   #7
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post

Options that I consider currently are:
  • Hyundai Tucson Signature Diesel 4WD - Powerful, Hyundai ASS backing, 540L boot space, Euro Safety Spec, Concerns over parts availability (Tucson is CKD, after all) and concern over feasibility of service across non-signature Hyundai service centers (only technicians at signature service centers are trained on Tucson). One time test driven - will do a few more to get convinced.
  • Toyota Innova Hycross ZX(O) - Spacious, but a 4-seater if third row folded down, uncertainty over Hybrid power unit's performance in hills and highways. Amazing resale and excellent TOYOTA ASS is worth considering.
  • Jeep Meridian Diesel Limited (O) - A capable Jeep with good ride and handling just like the Compass. Useless third row. Unreliable ASS, but the car is tempting.

Heart says Tucson, head says Hycross. Inviting opinions/suggestions from fellow BHP-ians.
Restricting myself to the options mentioned by you:

Tucson: I have waxed eloquent about this car enough times (Understanding the market's response to the 2022 Hyundai Tucson in India) and consider it the perfect car across a wide price range incuding above and below. Try driving the car by quickly varying speeds and see how quickly the gearbox responds in this car as compared to your other options. It listens to you when you want it to which makes it an absolute pleasure!

Hycross: You are correct that the Zx versions are 4 seaters in the front two rows but if there's someone nimble enough to enter the third row, it has the following advantages:
- The third row is arguably more spacious than second row in terms of leg room.
- The open space between the two captain seats help open up the feeling of being part of the same vehicle for the passenger in the third row
- In case of 5 passengers with 5th in third row, you can still get decent storage space with one seat in third row folded, space between captain seats and the full boot space.
So I wouldn't use this parameter to reject it - how it drives is something I don't have direct experience with. Also have this gut feeling that Maruti's version of top variant will come with a bench seat. Not sure about your timelines of buying a new car but the SAs are quoting some really big waiting periods.

Meridian: If one is not looking for the 4x4 version, I don't even know why this car exists at its current price (even considering the discount) with a package like Tucson. Refer to some of my comparison comments here between (2022 Hyundai Tucson vs Jeep Compass vs Citroen C5 Aircross vs Others) the two. I sometimes think that some folks get incorrectly biased by the thud sound/ heaviness of doors as a measure of build quality or of premium of brand "Jeep" over a "Hyundai" without looking at the premium provided by the actual car (the cabin colours of Meridian make it "look" premium as compared to if it had some other colour). I don't know if the Meridian is crash tested though the Tucson which comes to India probably is. I was driving a Meridian with rattles and the SA said it has just returned from an off-road event. Another city, another SA, another car, diffrent types of rattles in Meridian but same reason given by the SA - this happened to me with three different vehicles in two different cities (note these were 4x4 models so maybe not applicable in your case).

The only area where the Meridian might be better (and I say this with great uncertainty) is the under thigh support for 3rd /4th passengers (not 5th) in the second row. Only way to prove/ disprove this wrt Tucson would be a measuring tape.

Looking at your requirements, my choice would boil down to two simple factors of which one needs to be prioritised - maintainability vs driveability + premium quotient in cabin

Maintenance priority + timeline is not an issue then Hycross/ Maruti version.

If driving pleasure + luxury quotient while sitting in the car is needed then Tucson diesel AWD (would be surprised if the Hycross rides/ handles better across conditions) but also keeping in mind that maintenance can't be worse than Meridian/ Kodiaq/ C5/ Tiguan/ few models from the German big 3.

Do let us know what you eventually end up with

Last edited by One : 8th January 2023 at 02:22.
One is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 02:56   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Hyundai’s new Tucson.
Easily the best option from the list you have put out.
That’s a superb Euro Spec vehicle. You won’t regret it.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 08:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

If you had a six seater Hexa, Hycross is the natural upgrade. If you are particular about bench seats in second row, there is no upgrade from a Hexa yet. I replaced mine with a Fortuner. But that is because I wanted 4x4 and it was the only 4x4 seven seater available. My opinion is to buy the Hycross top end and make peace with the second row seats. Everything else is great and it will feel like a true upgrade.

I am surprised that you are concerned about performance in a car that can do 100 kmph in 10 seconds. If at all, its performance in hills will be better than Hexa. Hexa had significant turbo lag and it was saved only by the excellent gear box. With Hycross, enough torque is available from zero rpm itself. It will do better than Hexa in hills.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 8th January 2023 at 08:52.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 10:42   #10
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Both the Tucson and the Hycross are excellent cars in their own right, with the Tucson being a global car from Hyundai, the Hycross is more of a people mover, but with the new hybrid system, excellent mileage and features on board, it is also a tempting option.

Considering your use case scenario, However my vote goes for the Tucson for tis premium interiors, feature-loaded cabin and refined motors.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 10:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Hycross is good and is the only one in the market with decent boot space with all 3 rows up. However, it now has a 1 year waiting list so I would probably just get the Tucson. It gets AWD + better quality cameras + more fun to drive.
Thanks and I agree about boot space. I have booked Hycross on Dec 3rd itself - so guess I won't be too far behind in the queue (5-6 months is what I expect).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
The Tucson has a more powerful diesel but in all other aspects, it felt like a jack of all trades and a master of none. I didn't find the comfort to be particularly outstanding (which I did in the Meridian, combined with the luxurious-looking dark brown interiors).
However, if you'd like to tip your decision a little bit in your heart's favour, the Meridian is what would suit you best. Test driving all these cars one after the other should help greatly. Good luck with your decision.
Completely agree with your comments on Tucson being jack of all trades. But that is the kind of USP I liked about Tucson - it is not a purpose built vehicle as such and is something that can do a few such tasks without much fuss. Thanks for your suggestion. I'm yet to test drive a Meridian and that would be my next step. Will update post that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
I see the XUV7OO as a car that can tick off most boxes, barring that I don't know your experience of steering feedback of the EPS in XUV.
Thank you. XUV 700 is ok and had test driven it through good and bad roads - I can see why it sells well. But I'm planning to say bye to both these brands - Tata and Mahindra. I'm not very confident of their after sales support, considering the fact that they sell very well now (expecting them to be super busy and won't have time to take care of customers like me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Fellow 2017 XTA owner here.

I have booked a ZX HyCross, and I will be upgrading to the ZX(o). Fact is that this new Innova is the closest like for like replacement for the big Tata, for nothing else can actually seat two adults in the third row in any modicum of comfort and still have boot space for weekend luggage.
Meridian is simply too tight for space, in comparison. And with a Compass in the garage, I can tell you that Jeep maintenance is EXPENSIVE.
Tucson can be an option but honestly, I am not too impressed. I’d rather spend on the Skoda Kodiaq instead.
Thanks mate. You probably can relate to me completely being a fellow XTA owner. Thanks for the inputs on Meridian. I'm waiting for a test drive of Hycross (as said, I have booked one on 3rd Dec itself) - I had not liked Crysta's styling and hence wasn't considered while buying Hexa. Now that it looks decent, I'm willing to try it for sure. I'm sure it won't be a disappointment.

But on the flip side, following were my thoughts about buying Hycross.
  • I have hardly used Hexa's third row. At max 10 times in last 5 years. At the same time, it was used quite a few times as a 5 seater with 3rd row folded down on long trips. The middle passenger on second row had only lap belt.
  • Hycross is a 4-seater with 3rd folded down. I'm not sure what exactly Toyota was thinking here - clearly they wanted to minimize their effort and money. This is making me move away from Hycross.
  • If 5-seater is an OK option for us, why should we invest in a car that is made to carry 7-8 people and their luggage? Significant steel and design goes towards making the body that much stronger adding to the heft, and we are not even going to use those USPs on a day to day basis.

At the same time, Tucson just fits the purpose on the above points. Not sure if you had done a test drive. It might be the spacious most cabin for a 5-seater. Tucson might have issues w.r.to parts availability and Hyundai after sales is very expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Restricting myself to the options mentioned by you:

Tucson: ... Try driving the car by quickly varying speeds and see how quickly the gearbox responds in this car as compared to your other options. It listens to you when you want it to which makes it an absolute pleasure!

Hycross: ...
- In case of 5 passengers with 5th in third row, you can still get decent storage space with one seat in third row folded, space between captain seats and the full boot space.
So I wouldn't use this parameter to reject it - how it drives is something I don't have direct experience with.
Meridian: If one is not looking for the 4x4 version, I don't even know why this car exists at its current price (even considering the discount) with a package like Tucson. Refer to some of my comparison comments here between (2022 Hyundai Tucson vs Jeep Compass vs Citroen C5 Aircross vs Others) the two.
Looking at your requirements, my choice would boil down to two simple factors of which one needs to be prioritised - maintainability vs driveability + premium quotient in cabin
Maintenance priority + timeline is not an issue then Hycross/ Maruti version.
Do let us know what you eventually end up with
Thanks for the detailed reply. Completely agree from the points you mentioned. I will wait for a test drive experience in Hycross before making up my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I am surprised that you are concerned about performance in a car that can do 100 kmph in 10 seconds. If at all, its performance in hills will be better than Hexa. Hexa had significant turbo lag and it was saved only by the excellent gear box. With Hycross, enough torque is available from zero rpm itself. It will do better than Hexa in hills.
Enough torque will be there if MG2 motor will be in the play. I'm not really sure how this will playout if we are doing some hill driving with some 20-30 hairpin bends. Since I will have to wait about 5-6 months before I even get to buy one, I might get enough time to see the ownership reviews and then take a decision.
vinodvayyat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 11:25   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Looking for an upgrade from Tata Hexa XTA | Tucson, Innova Hycross, Meridian, Others?

Quote:
My Tata Hexa XTA has been serving me and family very well for last 5 years and 3 months. There wasn't a single episode of stalling anywhere, anytime. Covered about 50k kms (I usually do about 15k kms in an year. But the pandemic years caused quite low mileage for about 2 years). It has been a reliable highway rider and could take any road at ease.
Yours is a purely heart-over-head decision, but here's what I will recommend to you = drive your Hexa XTA for another couple of years (even if 2 or 5). The Hexa is a very capable UV that punched above its weight. The engine & AT are well-matched. The options you have listed will be an upgrade, but I don't think worth the money spent. In fact, some of them won't even touch the Hexa in ride comfort. The Hexa is a really mature big fellow.

Drive it for a few more years and then, do a real upgrade. This article of mine (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?) was practically written for you. When your car is competent, reliable & capable, why change it? Not like it's small, outdated or underpowered (reasons I would agree apply to an upgrade otherwise). You could also invest the 35 - 40 lakhs you have allocated for the new car wisely and re-enter the auto market with 60 - 70 lakhs in a few years. One more article (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)) that was written for you .

If your Hexa has some small issues or inconveniences, fix them. Trust me, no new car is perfect either.

Last edited by GTO : 8th January 2023 at 11:27.
GTO is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 13:42   #13
BHPian

Re: Looking for an upgrade from Tata Hexa XTA | Tucson, Innova Hycross, Meridian, Others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yours is a purely heart-over-head decision, but here's what I will recommend to you = drive your Hexa XTA for another couple of years (even if 2 or 5). The Hexa is a very capable UV that punched above its weight. The engine & AT are well-matched. The options you have listed will be an upgrade, but I don't think worth the money spent. In fact, some of them won't even touch the Hexa in ride comfort. The Hexa is a really mature big fellow.

Drive it for a few more years and then, do a real upgrade. This article of mine (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?) was practically written for you. When your car is competent, reliable & capable, why change it? Not like it's small, outdated or underpowered (reasons I would agree apply to an upgrade otherwise). You could also invest the 35 - 40 lakhs you have allocated for the new car wisely and re-enter the auto market with 60 - 70 lakhs in a few years. One more article (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)) that was written for you .

If your Hexa has some small issues or inconveniences, fix them. Trust me, no new car is perfect either.
Thanks for your suggestions GTO. I am completely aware of these theories and I am a financially prudent person. Long term, short term, emergency categories of my personal finance are well covered. So I won't call it as a heart over head decision to change my car.

Also I'm not trying to change my segments drastically - it is just vehicles with similar capabilities with some added safety tech. So adding 20-30 lakhs more and investing all that may not make any sense for me.
I'm ready only to adjust and pay for the inflation which is what I'm doing currently. Why else will I look to buy an Innova now? That probably is more prudent financially than buying those luxury Germans - right?

In any case, heart too needs some satisfaction at times.

Last edited by vinodvayyat : 8th January 2023 at 13:57. Reason: Added a point
vinodvayyat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 14:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Enough torque will be there if MG2 motor will be in the play. I'm not really sure how this will playout if we are doing some hill driving with some 20-30 hairpin bends. Since I will have to wait about 5-6 months before I even get to buy one, I might get enough time to see the ownership reviews and then take a decision.
MG2 will always be in play at low to moderate speeds. Why do you think this changes according to the number of hairpin bends ? Even if the hybrid battery is completely exhausted, MG2 will still operate from the power generated by MG1 acting as a generator. Your mileage will get affected but the torque will still be there. That is the beauty of the Toyota hybrid system.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 8th January 2023 at 14:39.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 19:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
MG2 will always be in play at low to moderate speeds. Why do you think this changes according to the number of hairpin bends ? Even if the hybrid battery is completely exhausted, MG2 will still operate from the power generated by MG1 acting as a generator. Your mileage will get affected but the torque will still be there. That is the beauty of the Toyota hybrid system.
I meant when MG2 draws power from battery. If battery is discharged to limits, it is just engine's raw power - means torque will be significantly lesser. Higher torque can always get a big car out of very tricky situations when it climbs up. I haven't driven a hybrid and I didn't mean it won't be able to satisfy me - reason why it is still one of the options. In fact, the whole trigger of the idea to buy a new car was Hycross entering the market. So I will wait and watch.

Most Viewed