Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Keep or sell a 4.5 year old Ecosport S TDCI ?
Sell 32 21.05%
Keep 120 78.95%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2023, 03:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Keep or sell my 4.5-year old Ford EcoSport S?

Voted for sell as the current inflated values in the used car market will not last for too long. Currently one can still get a good deal when selling a not too old Ford but that will soon plummet. The company has exited our country and the compact crossover segment is growing aggressively so in a year or two all you will be left with is a heavily depreciated Ecosport that isn't even the bees knees that it once was.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 05:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Keep it. The world is going to look quite different by the time your car is another 5 years old. I'd wager you will have pretty competent EV's in the market by then and keeping an ice car may not make much sense.

Second, a global recession is looming and I would not buy anything of great value in this market. Preserve your liquidity.
extreme_torque is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 06:08   #18
Team-BHP Support

I’m going to provide a counter view here against the general tide.

How do you feel about manual vs automatic? I’d say if you love automatics then the current point in time makes for a great opportunity to flip the Ecosport for the City, specially since you’re getting to sell it at about the price you got it.

You’ll lose out on the incredible fuel efficiency of the Ecosport but as a trade off you’ll get a very competent sedan, it’ll be more comfortable in both rows in case you have frequent rear seat occupants, will bring a much more practical boot - your current garage are both similar sized cars with comparable (limited) boot space. The car will have a longer residual life considering its petrol and will also perhaps hold slightly better resale value too than the Ecosport a further 5 years down the line.

Finally, owning a Honda over the next five years will definitely be a more predicable and hassle free experience than owning a Ford although I’m sure you won’t have any major issues owning a popular model like the Ecosport either.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 15:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

How do you feel about manual vs automatic? I’d say if you love automatics then the current point in time makes for a great opportunity to flip the Ecosport for the City, specially since you’re getting to sell it at about the price you got it.
I would prefer an Automatic for the city rides. But have a Sonet iMT for the same. On the highways I am fine with either Manual or Auto.

Boot space isn't really much of bother. Ecosport has a 352L one while the sonet with 392 L. I have found both of these more than sufficient for my use.
Space wise too, though the Honda would be immensely better, we are a family of 4, with the fair sexes being not so tall.

I am coming to a decision soon. Have planned a Pune Goa trip in the Ecosport tommorow. Will be closing this decision post this trip by the next weekend. Thanks all for chipping in with your suggestions.

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th January 2023 at 17:27. Reason: Trimming quoted text.
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 16:14   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

If you don't need the ground clearance or the diesel - I would look at selling it purely because:
1. It's a 5 year old example. Maintenance will come up : even routine items like suspension, tyres, etc. Normally this wouldn't be a reason to sell - we just redid our S-Cross up as opposed to selling it, but the below 2 points are one of the reasons I am inclined to sell this.
2. Ford's exit : parts could be a little difficult to procure as time goes on, especially as the company has exited India. Even with the S-Cross parts were a bit difficult to procure despite it being Maruti - with Ford it could be a little harder.
3. You're getting a really good resale right now!

That being said, I would also look at other options apart from the Honda City. The City, though great as a family car wouldn't be as strongly built or as engaging to drive. If you want a family car and the convenience of an automatic, then the City would be a great option.
If you want a car that feels equally good (well almost) as the EcoSport to drive I'd also look at options like the Virtus / Slavia 1.0TSi, Rapid Monte Carlo 1.0 TSi, Kushaq/Taigun. Advantage of these also being lower resale and most should be within warranty period - allowing you to extend warranty for further peace of mind.
Old 26th January 2023, 09:25   #21
BHPian

If you are person who always has worry of spare parts availability on back of your mind. I would suggest you sell it.

Couple of years down the line, when parts availability becomes little difficult you might not even use this car so much.
Old 26th January 2023, 09:42   #22
BHPian

100% Hang onto it. Selling the car won't get you much monetarily and the true 'cost of replacement' of this car is well beyond the 20 lakh mark. The Ecosport was a gem of a car and given the fact that you have only done 33,000 Kms the car is brand new (at least in my dictionary).

My suggestion would be to spruce up the car a bit and carry out any overhauls that might be required at the 5 year mark according to the maintenance schedule. Fords are also one of the most mod friendly options out there in the mass market after VW, you will find many threads on the forum with tastily modified ecosports.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 10:10   #23
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Definitely keep. Ecosport is one of the new cars with minimum or zero known/unknown issues. The service is also good and parts availability is okay.
You will surely get a buyer and a good price if you want to sell. But if I were you I would keep it.
Old 26th January 2023, 10:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you to take a trip to few of the pre owned car shops in your vicinity and have a casual look at the prices mentioned. This one step would be enough for you to realise it's a no brainer to retain the Eco Sport, that too in TDCi guise, Ford non existent in the country notwithstanding.

Such good diesels are a thing of the past. And no modern car in the price range can hold a candle to Eco sport's driving dynamics. If I were you, that itself is a big enough reason to hold onto that tightly and enjoy her(sans the BS6 tantrums)while it lasts.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 10:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
  • Able to get a pre loved a low run (28000 kms)great condition Honda City zx CVT (5th gen, late 2020 model) at about ecosport selling price + 3 lakhs. Wise decision?
I have owned both Ecosport and Honda City and both cars are absolutely flawless.

It's nearly impossible to upgrade from EcoSport as for me this is pretty much the perfect sub-4m pseudo suv. Fun to drive, good ride, and absolutely niggle free experience.

BUT City is a touch better in every aspect. More fun to drive, more luxurious inside out.

If you don't care about the ground clearance or the slightly lower mileage definitely upgrade.

Last edited by vellatechie : 26th January 2023 at 10:20.
vellatechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 11:56   #26
BHPian

I would recommend that you "ghasao" the car for at least 12-15 years. I own a 2018 Ecosport Petrol AT and for me this car is a go-anywhere car; very reliable and service costs/spares are reasonable.

In nearly 5 years of ownership and 56k done, I still love to drive the Ecosport. One thing that we all know - its not the best in terms of fuel economy.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 12:46   #27
BHPian

As you getting the same price that you paid more than 2 years ago, I would say sell it.
Old 26th January 2023, 13:28   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I own a pre loved Ecosport S TDCI purchased in June 2020. It's a July 2018 make and currently run 33000 kms. It's doing perfectly fine for now and without any issues or even minor niggles. [/list]
I would recommend keeping the Ecosport for few more years and utilize it to the maximum. You have a good variant with a gem of an engine. Enjoy it until you can . There are conversations going-on about recession and job loss in our very own forum. I would suggest not to make that spending now.

If service center is your main concern, there are BHPians tried out independent garages like The Mechanix Automotive and Sai car clinic.
pranavGTI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 15:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Since in a few months it will turn 5 years old, I am now contemplating whether to keep or sell this car (worried the resale will nosedive post 5 year mark). Reasons to keep or sale-
]
My Ecosport S is 4.5 years old and similar thoughts crossed my mind as well, but I just could not think of any vehicle upto 25Lakhs that would be a worthy replacement.

The weak points of the Ecosport such as rear seat space and stiff ride are not an issue for me so I would lose more than I would gain even after spending 20-25 Lakhs!

Solution - Got a Wolf stage 1+ remap and loving it even more now!

My advice to you is to keep the car if you love to drive. Service in Pune is great and should be for a couple of years, plus the Ecosport is reliable super cheap to maintain.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 15:58   #30

Thats an easy one.! Definitely keep the Ford Ecosport.! I was in the same dilemma, we bought a Titanium Petrol AT in April 2019 for my Dad. I decided to sell it and change it with a similar range car (12-15L). None of the vehicles sold today in the market in this budget are even close to the build, dynamics we got in the earlier days.

I would say we are the lucky ones to have this great engineered car and lets hold on to it as long as possible. My car is a lot thursty than yours, I have not seen more than 9kmpl ever in 4 years in the city but still plan to keep it, you on the other hand is one lucky fella!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks