Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2023, 18:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet Diesel AT Vs Tata Nexon EV | 25000 km running annually

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
The Nexon EV comes with a 8 year battery warranty and can be had with 5 years extended warranty. I guess we should be good for 3.
The 8 year battery warranty also comes with a 1.6L Kms replacement mark. Considering OPs high running, this can be breached between 6-7 year (way lesser than 10 year diesel) mark. Not to mention, quite sure the range won't be the same, once the battery becomes older. The replacement costs are around7-8L for new batteries!

Last edited by 07CR : 8th February 2023 at 18:55.
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 21:01   #17
BHPian

I think Shreyas' post summarizes the available options pretty well.
It's a strange conundrum though - Petrol hybrid versus Diesel versus EV. Another added variable is NCR location. All three options are good in their own rights.

For intra city or regional commutes like 100kms, my vote goes to Petrol Hybrids. These are future proof from any potential policy pivots, are easy on pocket and provide the right balance in ICE versus EV choices. The badge of Maruti or Toyota adds predictability and General peace of mind as well. Just ensure the E20 fuel blend check if you plan to go for Hyryder /GV.

EVs are an evolving ecosystem. Though very encouraging and enticing, we are still far on the adoption curve. My bet is to wait for at least another 3 years and let the ecosystem as well as technology mature. However, it's still a worthy bet if fuel costs bug you.

A lot is being mentioned about resale of diesel vehicles which is true. But for a heavy usage like yours, I am not sure how much weight should we be giving to resale value. I mean if you are able to drive Sonet upwards of 2L in its lifespan, does a drop in resale value impact so much so as to not look at it as an option? You would have used it for the best part of engine's life. Right?
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 23:21   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

You are in Delhi. Do a tiny bit for the horrible AQI there & improve your karma .

Also consider the XUV400 EV, although Mahindra is way behind Tata on the EV learning curve and I'd expect more bugs & niggles from the XUV400 in the initial years.
Doing that already by installing 2x10KW Roof Top Solar at my home.

XUV400 EL is overbudget & EC is not well equipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Pls understand that in Delhi NCR, resale value of diesel cars just plummets after 5-6 years. Even if the vehicle is to go to your dad, the math will work only if your dad resides outside the NCR, that is, vehicle gets transferred into a different state. Otherwise, you’ll be in for a rude shock when you’ll try to sell the diesel Sonet off after 8-9 years of use in your family.

I will suggest you consider the Hyryder strong hybrid. This is the perfect car for urban commutes and with none of the compromises associated with the EVs of today. 22-25kmpl efficiency, convenience of automatic, refined city drive and zero range anxiety or daily charging headache. Most importantly, it is totally future proof with no Delhi NCR limitations whatsoever. You will also retail the option to wholeheartedly hand it over to your father after 3-4 years if you want to look for an EV then.
I'll sell my diesel vehicle only after 9+ years of usage.

I pre-booked Hyryder but cancelled it as it was too expensive even in Haryana. Subsidy scene in Haryana is not clear to any brand any showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
Recent incident of quick battery drain and shifting to neutral does not inspire confidence. So booked Sonet that I aim to keep at least for 5-6 years. Fingers crossed!

PS: If worried about NCR/Resale, then ev is the only option I guess. I would recommend upping the budget and going for ZS EV personally.
Those are my concerns too. Don't want to be stranded on road every now & then. Let the EVs evolve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
Having a sole car as EV at home that too a Tata, when you have such high daily running, require lots of mental strength to answer apprehensions of neighbour, colleagues & relatives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
If most of the travel is pre-defined, planned and calculated like home to factory/office and only occasional outings which are well planned you can think of the EV. Also remember that aggressive and heavy right foot driving drains the EV very quickly. Maybe that is why EV have a speed limiter.
EV won't be my only car at home but whichever car I'll buy, will be my primary vehicle for daily commute & will be driven by me 95% of it's lifespan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4Nikunj View Post
Also as far as resale is concerned, I don't know about EVs but for Sonet as soon as you will hit the 10-year mark, The car would have crossed 2.5L km. Which is more than enough to retire a car.
I'm mentally prepared for the diesel vehicle's resale but what more can we expect from a vehicle which is close to 2 Lakh Kms after 9+ years?

Quote:
If you can sell the Sonet in 4 years to buy that nice EV, you can sell the Nexon too.
I never said I'll sell Sonet. It'll replaced my Dad's Vitara Brezza Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversaygbye View Post
Apart from the 10 year rule in Delhi, if you are going to drive your diesel car in heavy traffic most of the time, be prepared for DPF issues.
That can be sorted by some spirited driving after a gap of few days. Out of 65-70 kms, only 15kms of stretch is problematics. Some days I've spent 45-60 mins on a 2-3kms stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
One point to add - With aggressive banning of diesel cars, you never know that some years down the line a diesel car gets partially banned even before 10 years.

Case in point: During recent NCRpollution measures even 2020 BS4 diesel cars were not allowed on roads for few days in winters. And Pollution is only gonna get worse in coming years..
That's one area of concern. Maybe I should wait for Kia to introduce RDE Norms as Hyundai did if I plan Diesel Sonet.

Quote:
As far as the loan is concerned, there is a tax deduction on EV loans under section 80EEB. That should cover some of the ₹6000 difference even during the intervening loan period but that is a calculation the OP would have done already.
80EEB won't be having much effect as I'll buy vehicle on business name so can claim full interest paid as expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
A lot is being mentioned about resale of diesel vehicles which is true. But for a heavy usage like yours, I am not sure how much weight should we be giving to resale value. I mean if you are able to drive Sonet upwards of 2L in its lifespan, does a drop in resale value impact so much so as to not look at it as an option? You would have used it for the best part of engine's life. Right?
My friend's 70k kms run Amaze Petrol fetched same value as my 1.7Lakh kms Skoda Yeti. I know re-sale will be less but by that that I'd have used the vehicle fully.
nikhil.sikka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 15:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil.sikka View Post
That's one area of concern. Maybe I should wait for Kia to introduce RDE Norms as Hyundai did if I plan Diesel Sonet.
If you go for D AT right now, it already meets the emission norms with the VGT Diesel engine used in Creta/Seltos/Alcazar/Carens. Plus, post April there is going to be yet another price hike, if I am to go by what my SA says.

In fact Hyundai is dropping the WGT and replacing that with the VGT.
Old 10th February 2023, 17:46   #20
BHPian

A lot of people have spoken about costs, finances etc but ultimately we are humans and intangibles play a big role in buying a car.

Some intangibles for why I bought an EV:

1. In bumper to bumper traffic, the linear power delivery and smoothness of EVs is something to be experienced. No ICE gearbox can replicate it.

2. While people keep talking about range anxiety with ICE I used to have cost anxiety, drive sedately to extract max mileage and damage to my wallet. With EVs, especially long city commutes, I enjoy every open stretch of road guilt free. Even if efficiency dramatically drops I don't care. Airport runs in Bangalore are now something I look forward to instead of hating them. I know this logic may not add up on an excel sheet and hence it's an intangible for me.

3. If you plan to keep the car for a decade, an EV is a no brainer. After 5 years when everyone is upgrading around you, the itch to upgrade will be higher if you are on ICE. Even though ICE technology has evolved over a century, manufacturers are still not confident about offering 8 years warranty even if you are willing to fork out lakhs. EVs are a step change with respect to reliability and will keep going a long time even if the range drops by a few KMs. Tata motors VP of EVs has in fact said that early Nexon EV battery degradation is lesser than what they expected. Mercedes is already starting to offer 10 year warranties on their batteries. Modern LFP batteries will last much longer than the car itself and I know many in the EV community planning to use their cars battery for energy storage post the life of the car.
shyampsunder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 19:32   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
If you go for D AT right now, it already meets the emission norms with the VGT Diesel engine used in Creta/Seltos/Alcazar/Carens. Plus, post April there is going to be yet another price hike, if I am to go by what my SA says.

In fact Hyundai is dropping the WGT and replacing that with the VGT.
As per this article from Rushlane, KIA will update it's engine & will again increase prices

https://www.rushlane.com/kia-seltos-...-12460618.html
Old 13th February 2023, 13:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil.sikka View Post
As per this article from Rushlane, KIA will update it's engine & will again increase prices

https://www.rushlane.com/kia-seltos-...-12460618.html
I've already booked D AT, so hopefully should be fine. But yeah, it's crazy - not just Kia, all manufacturers keep silently increasing the price. See Mahindra for instance, god knows how much you'll have to pay once you're past your 1 year waiting period

I'd still honestly suggest Diesel automatic (or manual since they're all the same) - even Nexon diesel manual should be fine (they're also increasing the prices though). I'm not convinced with the sort of niggles faced by EV users - like the sudden battery drains, shift to neutral and whatnot. These should be hopefully sorted once more and more manufacturers make affordable EVs with good reliability.
Old 22nd February 2023, 22:33   #23

Thanks all for the inputs & suggestions. Will be taking delivery of Kia Sonet Diesel AT in a day or two.

After 4-5 years will plan for EV as there will be many options & reliable ones.
nikhil.sikka is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed