4x4 Petrol Convertible AT LX 28 9.15%
4x4 Petrol Hardtop AT LX 34 11.11%
4x4 Diesel Convertible AT LX 29 9.48%
4x4 Diesel Hardtop AT LX 109 35.62%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2023, 10:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Mahindra Thar variant, drivetrain & top would be your choice?

All the people who prefer a hard-top on jeep, my question is: why not a 4x4 SUV then?

edit: because of price?

Last edited by alpha1 : 23rd February 2023 at 10:59.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 11:09   #17
BHPian

Would prefer the 4x4 Convertible Petrol. On the fence waiting for a 5 door version as it would make more sense with the fam.
Old 23rd February 2023, 11:27   #18
BHPian

I'd go for a 4x2, hard top, Petrol AT. Reason? I am not an off roader by any stretch of imagination, and see no rationale in spending an extra couple of lacs to get something that has zero utility for me. In any case, the Thar is built in such a way that it can handle the bad roads, uneven stretches, and some rough terrain with ease even without the 4x4 set up. Petrol, because this would be my second car and I don't see it running more than 500 kms in a month. Hard top, because I don't want the hassle of a leaky soft top, or the safety and security concerns with a soft top.

Not yet sold on the Thar, as yet, but I've been contemplating it for some time. Decisions, decisions.
BrakeDancer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 12:13   #19

The Thar is the only Thar(read:car) that I ogle at whenever I spot one. While it has been tremendously refined in all aspects to captivate the masses, unlike the previous gens.
However, it still lacks some creature comforts which other cars ranging between 17-20 lacs offer. But hey, it's not a car! It's a Thar.

I would not let this mean machine relax in the stilt, but it rather be a daily driven for work, quick city runs, some offroading which includes Bombay roads and need I mention the Goon Effect it has when headed for a social gathering.

All said and done, ideal mix for me would be 4x4 MT, HT LX.
Hard Top because soft top not worth it keeping in mind thefts, MT cause nothing beats a manual.
Old 23rd February 2023, 12:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
All the people who prefer a hard-top on jeep, my question is: why not a 4x4 SUV then?

edit: because of price?
The 'Jeep' looks, lighter weight (in most cases at least), then practicality.
Old 23rd February 2023, 12:38   #21
BHPian

For someone who was sitting on the fence contemplating a diesel/petrol for NCR use, the thread comes out apt. The Thar would be completely resting 6 months in a year as I will be at sea thus was getting inclined towards petrol. Not interested in any off-roading so no 4x4. I get enough of my share of bumpy rides at sea.
Budget wise the Diesel 4x2 makes more sense however the Petrol Thar would get 5 extra years worth of oxygen.
So yes, voted for 4x2 Petrol Hardtop AT LX.
Old 23rd February 2023, 12:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

For me it would be the 4X2 Petrol AT.

Why 4X2 ?

Because, I am not an offroader. The 4x2 by the way being RWD is capable enough for most of the broken roads, hills and beyond.
And, 95% of the people who buy 4x4 don't utilize the 4x4 capabilities for even 5% of the car's lifetime. So its a waste of money IMHO, no offence to anyone.

Why Petrol ?

Obviously, because I live in NCR. But, having said that, the Petrol motor is FAST. My only concern is the long term reliability of a "Mahindra" Petrol.

Why AT ?

It would be my leasure vehicle, if at all I buy it. My running is anways very low. Don't want to be spending whatever time I am behind the wheel, pressing clutch and taking pains. I have a second car to do that.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 14:38   #23
BHPian

4X2 Petrol AT:

1. I never go off-roading so 4x4 is an overkill for me.
2. Petrol - This will be my second car and hence its usage won't be above 500 kms a month.
3. I have crossed the point of no return in terms of transmission. I will never return to manual and moreover its a damn good gearbox.
Old 23rd February 2023, 15:06   #24
BHPian

I want to buy a used Thar (2021 model), simply because of two reasons.

New Thar has a long waiting period and I don't have a budget of 20L to buy a vehicle that will run less than 100 KMs a month. Due to the BS6 nuisance of Diesel, I have ruled out the option of getting Diesel.

I have a XUV5OO and Scorpio-N (expected to be delivered this month) for highway duties. I have a beater car Santro Xing for a city commute. None of these will leave the garage. Thar is always a lifestyle vehicle for me, which is used on special occasions like attending Mahindra night-out camps or weekend night ice cream rides.

So what is stopping me from getting Petrol?

I am not sure how good is Mahindra with petrol engines. Worried about long-term reliability.

For eg, Petrol veterans like Honda / Suzuki are not able to produce so much torque but Mahindra petrol engines churn out the same BHP and torque just like their counterparts. How they are able to manage that?

Real Fuel Efficiency
I have seen several videos of Petrol Thar on youtube but it's confusing. Some say that it gives 7 KMPL and some claim that they get 13 KMPL.

Has any TBhpian ever measured their Petrol Thar's FE in Tank full to tankful method?

Last edited by dicor : 23rd February 2023 at 15:10.
Old 23rd February 2023, 15:57   #25
BHPian

Get the 4x2 D LX and put an MLD on it for 50k. Zoom away... And never get stuck offroad unless you go out of your way to do so.
wooka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 17:50   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor View Post
I
I am not sure how good is Mahindra with petrol engines. Worried about long-term reliability.

For eg, Petrol veterans like Honda / Suzuki are not able to produce so much torque but Mahindra petrol engines churn out the same BHP and torque just like their counterparts. How they are able to manage that?

Real Fuel Efficiency
I have seen several videos of Petrol Thar on Youtube but it's confusing. Some say that it gives 7 KMPL and some claim that they get 13 KMPL.

Has any TBhpian ever measured their Petrol Thar's FE in Tank full to tankful method?
There is enough evidence on the excellence of the mStallion 2 litre TGDi Petrol engine. I will myself vouch for it as an user for the last two years. Its a fabulous machine. Garrett Turbocharger. Aisin 6 speed Torque converter AT gearbox. Perfectly mated, the combination is creamy smooth and delivers strong power and performance. Almost zero Turbo lag. Its unbelievable the way the Thar drops gears and takes off when one stomps the pedal.

Please also view attached video on Hormazd Sorabjee’s views on the mStallion.

Ref Fuel efficiency, measured over multiple tankfuls of petrol across various terrains, over the last 20600kms of use, I have been experiencing 9 to 10 on highways driving at 90-110kmph. If I drive carefully between 80-90kmph I can pull 11kmpl. In the city I see around 8-9kmpl. In the hills it is 7kmpl. With 4WD use it goes down to 6kmpl and with consistent use of 4WD on off-road trails it might hover around 5kmpl. And as a general average observation across my typical usage pattern it is fair to say around 8.75kmpl.

This is NOT a fuel efficiency Cup winner for sure.
But for a low usage lifestyle oriented fun toy it is perfectly acceptable.

Read this thread and the various other threads about the necessary modifications and upgrades etc and the varied feedback too and then make up your mind.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd February 2023 at 17:52.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 19:15   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Because the convertible roof is manually operated and is fairly cumbersome. Had it been a powered soft top, it would have been perfect.

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd February 2023 at 20:14. Reason: As requested
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 21:53   #28
BHPian

Voted for 4*4 D AT but bought a RWD HT D.

My Thoughts-

Hypothetically a lot of people would WANT a top end variant, but when it comes to actual buying, a lot may end up buying a RWD. Reason? Reasonable pricing and NEED.
337699gsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 22:35   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the 4WD Diesel AT Hardtop LX.

This is the variant I bought as well, over 2 years go. It is incredibly practical. The Diesel engine has plenty of punch and though it may not be as fast as the petrol, it can pick up speeds pretty quick in the 20-80 kph range, which is what is important in the city while overtaking or darting into gaps. The vehicle is very fuel efficient and it is possible to extract 10 kpl if driven carefully in the city and 14kpl with reasonable speeds in the highway. Even if you push the car hard, it still does 9 kpl city and 12 kpl highway. The car delivers a highway range of 600 km comfortably, this is important when on road trips. The Diesel AT is very capable off-road too, there was hardly any difference between at the limit between a diesel MT and AT during the couple of off-road trips I went on.

Being a hardtop it is very secure, one can park in random streets with valuables inside which is important if this is your daily ride in the city. The cabin is fairly quiet till about 80-90 kph which is not the case with the Convertible Top, that has a lot of flapping noise.

The 6 speed AT is brilliantly mated to the 2.2 mHawk engine. Being a large engine which is in a low state of tune, the engine is totally unstressed during highway runs, and 100 kph comes up at just 1600 rpm. The calm nature of this engine makes the car a pleasure to drive, the same engine on the ScorpioN apparently runs at 2200 rpm at that speed? If you are someone who listens to your engines, you know that it is far less pleasant to be driving your engine at 600 rpm more to be at the same speed.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 23:01   #30
BHPian

I had always wanted a 4x2 as I had no use of 4X4 . I test drove the 4x4 in 2020 when it was launched and told the sales person that they should make a 4x2 Auto and it will have plenty of takers.

Sadly my Diesel 4x2 doesn’t come with Auto. It was always a HT for me as our weather is too hot and dusty most of the time.

Just got my first service done today and got a reverse cam installed.

I differ from most people in that I like 2 door cars.

My Thar serves the purpose for me as my daily commute to office and am loving it
Attached Thumbnails
Which Mahindra Thar variant, drivetrain & top would be your choice?-612fcd38de534d10a7bf9bfcb643669d.jpeg  

Which Mahindra Thar variant, drivetrain & top would be your choice?-bcbe9c6450504db88fc3b572c061c8f1.jpeg  

Urorobo is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks