Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2023, 14:46   #1
BHPian

Should I sell my 2-year old Toyota Innova Crysta Diesel?

Guys, need your views/suggestion since I am in a dilemma. I have a Crysta VX Diesel 2021 Dec model which has hardly run 11k km and is maintained in excellent condition. I also have a Jazz CVT which is used by my wife since she is not comfortable driving the Crysta. I will be travelling out of India for 6+ months and would have to keep Crysta idle for this period (also there is a car loan EMI to be paid). And I am not sure what will be the effect of this long hibernation on the engine or vehicle. So I was exploring the option of selling the Crysta, and I am getting offers up to 27L. I bought it for 27.15L a year ago.

About my usage & requirement, we usually travel 2 road trips a year for around 6k km and need a 7 seater since we are a family of 5 + luggage. And I don't prefer rentals.

So the question is should I sell the Crysta and get a diesel (no petrol pls) automatic 7 seater (TATA, Mahindra, KIA) later this year/next year or hold on to it?

Thanks in advance.

Kannan
SKannan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 15:45   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Should I sell my 2-year old Toyota Innova Crysta Diesel?

If you are going for just 6 months - absolutely don't sell the car. I was in fact once out of the country for good 2 years & retained by old Indica Vista anyway here in India. Once in 2 weeks, my dad used to just start the engine, move the car a bit internally within the society. Just a few feet here and there for wheel rotation & brake release. Took care of running the AC and everything else that has fluids in the ducts that need to be moved.

Thats it - I came back, started using the car to office from the next Monday. Cars aren't as notorious to maintain in hibernation as feared. Remember - we have been in a nearly year long lock-down as well, in which many cars didn't move at all.

Just ask your spouse or some friend/relative to use / activate the car once in 2 weeks. In the worst case - the battery will die due to no charge. Its cheap to replace. If you come back after 6 months & dont extend your deputation for too long - the Crysta won't be cheap to replace . One thing you must do for sure is - spray a lot of rat repellent spray on any visible surface you see in the engine bay and under it.

Last edited by Reinhard : 23rd February 2023 at 15:48.
Reinhard is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 15:55   #3
BHPian

You should let it go and get some thing new when you are back

1) Given your driving needs and your schedule next few month, it does not make sent to pay EMIs and not utilising the asset. Also Diesel with no running for a long time is not a good combo.

2) You are getting excellent price for the Car. Innova always command a great resale value but the pricing fades as model gets discontinued. Today, Toyota has planned Hycross as the flagship Innova and Crysta as a commercial Innova, with time Crysta craze will go down and resale value will follow

Classis example is Polo, it was discontinued last year, and today its resale value for GT / Legend versions is on peak. But 3/4 years later next generation of buyers will be different from current generation who value the brand polo. Same story with 90HP Punto, today people do not know about that model

3) You will find betters options later this year in the similar price point. Competition is already ahead of Crysta in terms of features and this gap will continue. Crysta will become scorpio classic of Mahindra

To summarise - "You will be paying premium (interest) on an asset which is not even getting utilised and is depreciating (today you are getting a fantastic price tomorrow not sure), which to me makes no sense"
Asoon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 16:38   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKannan View Post
I am getting offers up to 27L. I bought it for 27.15L a year ago.
If this is the price on offer - Sell. Invest the amount until the time you come back and buy something else. The hassles of getting the car seen to, start it, drive it, not scratch it etc. are not worth it in this period of time.

Personally I would take up to a 30K loss on this and move onto something else once I got back.
Newtown is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 16:53   #5
BHPian

Mod note: Merged posts, back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
One thing you must do for sure is - spray a lot of rat repellent spray on any visible surface you see in the engine bay and under it.
Yes this is a problem at my place. Rats, snakes, and kittens get into the underbody of the car and get stuck sometimes. And rats messing up with the wiring or hoses is another headache. I am not sure if rodent sprays have a timeframe like once in 2-3 months for it to be effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoon View Post
You should let it go and get some thing new when you are back
The other reason I am looking to sell is the opportunity to move on to an automatic since I am on the other side of 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtown View Post
If this is the price on offer - Sell. Invest the amount until the time you come back and buy something else. The hassles of getting the car seen to, start it, drive it, not scratch it etc. are not worth it in this period of time.

Personally I would take up to a 30K loss on this and move onto something else once I got back.
Yes, but I have to repay the car loan and may not have much left for investing. Also, I was more interested in BOF SUV/MPV for their rugged build and reliability, hence went for the Crysta. So once I am back later in the year, I may not have many options other than Crysta 2023 or Scorpio N.

Or maybe move on to Monocoque SUVs like Safari or XUV700. But will this really have any significance if your driving is not always off road ?

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd February 2023 at 17:18. Reason: Please edit / multi-quote your replies instead of back to back posts. Thanks.
SKannan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 20:24   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are getting 27L for your car, what are you waiting for? Sell it off!! I don’t see the Crysta retaining this kind of value in another year once HyCross picks up. The timing is correct right now, make the most of it.

You can evaluate your options for a new family car next year.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 22:24   #7
BHPian

27L for VX model seems unrealistic. Im here expecting 25L my July 2021 ZX 2.4.

You should sell the car asap then.
Wizaro is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 23:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKannan View Post
So I was exploring the option of selling the Crysta, and I am getting offers up to 27L. I bought it for 27.15L a year ago.
A year later you are losing 15 thousand only, sell it before the buyer changes his mind.

This is a perfect situation for you, it can’t get any better. Invest the money is a simple safe investment, come back after 6 months and buy an automatic vehicle which you seem to want now.

This is called having your cake and eating it too which has to be the point or what’s the point in having the cake in the first place

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 06:52   #9
BANNED

If you want to have an automatic, there's no question of keeping the Crysta. I'm very surprised to know people buying manual cars in Bengaluru and driving it daily. I lived there 14 years back and it was a pain to drive manuals then! Once used to automatics, there's no going back.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 07:44   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Bothered about keeping the car idle for 6 months and paying EMIs? Dont bother selling it. Like others have said, make arrangements for a close one to start and move the car frequently.

Wanting to go for an automatic? Sell it ASAP, before the buyer changes his mind.
DicKy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 10:22   #11
d.j
BHPian

If your heart and head is more like “practical and practical” personal, pls sell.
If you admire and cherish this car - hold it and put it to use, Example - occasional hiring of driver from Driveu or similar service, say, chauffer driven for the family.

Regards/DJ
Old 26th February 2023, 09:21   #12
BHPian

Re: Should I sell my 2-year old Toyota Innova Crysta Diesel?

You're getting a great deal on the Crysta! I would recommend selling it!

There will be plenty of options once you're back: Facelifted Safari AT, Innova Hycross Hybrid (with enough ownership reviews)

As a Bengalurian, I definitely agree that an AT is just better for the city. Leg days are quite common for me in an MT car here.
rishil.ghurki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 09:23   #13
BHPian

My opinion would be to hold on to it. Even if you leave it for 6 months, with occasional starts, it should be okay when you get back.

However, the fact that you are on this forum asking for "advice" and your subsequent comments seem to point towards your wanting to sell the car. The decision should be yours - you don't need affirmation.
Pennant1970 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 10:26   #14
BHPian

If the car is going to be useful for you in 6 months for another 5-6 yrs, keep it. If you want to anyway switch to automatics, sell it.
srgntpepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 11:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sell.. Sell.. If you are getting your money (cost of the car) back as you mentioned. It's better to have one in the hand than two in the bush. Once you are back in India, you can purchase a car based on your requirements and situation at that time.
Aviator_guy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks