Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2023, 11:30   #1

2023 Volvo XC90 versus Land Rover Defender 110 HSE

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Looking for some advise on a new SUV.

I'm a 60% front seat passenger and 40% self driver. Long romance with SUV's with a Pajero, Teraccan followed by 2 generations of Fortuners.

Struggling with a decision between these 2 beauties. Love the interior build quality, safety features and the new B6 Engine on the XC90. But its an end of life model.

The Defender's road presence is unbeatable and the interior material usage is unique and distinctive.

Would love some advice from the forum on which way to tilt. Thanks.
Etype is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 14:50   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2023 Volvo XC90 versus Land Rover Defender 110 HSE

The Land Rover Defender .

- Unmatched style, presence & charisma.

- Better brand value.

- Most importantly, that wonderful air suspension! It is so darn comfortable.

- Unique, fun & practical interiors.

- Offroad capability.

- Much fresher & newer. As you rightly said, the XC90 is too old.

End of the day, luxury cars are about how they make you feel. If it was only about utility, no one would buy anything above an Innova. And in terms of "feel", the Land Rover Defender is unmatched.

The after-sales for both brands will vary greatly depending on your local dealer. So research thoroughly. Don't expect the Land Rover to be fuss-free to own in terms of reliability.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 17:11   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

The Defender is a better vehicle overall with a proven track record of capabilities
You have lots of engine options too, counting P300, P400 and D300 (as P500) not available here

It is far better to drive than the XC90 as well. For all the 40% times self driven, you should enjoy it

Last but not the least, I see more JLR service center than Volvo
vredesbyrd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 17:15   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

My Pick: The Defender eyes closed over the XC90.

The XC90 is in the dire need of a major update now, although the quality interiors and the sound system are just next level!

The Defender is the newer one and a brilliant all-rounder! When a Defender passes by on the road, one can’t resist turning back to gaze at it! With the XC90 you can fly under the radar, with the Defender you just can’t do that.

Now the service experience and quality is a big consideration in this decision as well. I see you’re coming from a Toyota, so better to go and check out the service centres of the respective brands as well! The service experience for these premium brands varies a lot from city to city. Haven’t experienced either Volvo or JLR, but a close friend has a Disco Sport and he surely doesn’t praise JLR’s after-sales and service experience!

Concluding my opinion with this picture :

2023 Volvo XC90 versus Land Rover Defender 110 HSE-9b6c30b01f1a43db903ecda1d3c247a7.jpeg

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CTzLA7Ap...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 8th March 2023 at 17:24.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 21:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

XC90 was great when it was launched, back in 2015. Now it is 7 years old and it hasn't had any additions other than the price going up a lot. The high strung 2L petrol engine paired with this massive SUV is also not very reliable sadly, according to international owners forums. I would get the defender and hope it's free of the usual range rover issues.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 22:44   #6
BHPian

The XC90 is very old now considering that It has been nearly 8 years since it's launch. It's not that the Defender is something new, but still in my opinion the XC90 is too common on the roads and people dont even value the Volvo brand at all. If it is flashy, mean and bold looks combined with rugged capability that you want then the Defender is your best choice. It's quite rare on the roads and is very attractive. Although the XC90 is the safest car probably ever made the Defender is quite safe too. I mean if people looking at your swanky car is not what you want the XC90 will fly under the radar as quoted by Bhpian CEF_Beasts. All in all, all cars have niggles and it is upto your heart or brain to decide what is best.
Drivaholic@2727 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 17:11   #7
BHPian

Hello,

Both are fantastic cars but be aware of the nightmarish after sales service, part availability etc etc of JLR, it's definitely not a pleasant experience.

If xc90 doesn't excite you then search something else, but do stay away from jlr cars in India.

Cheers........
SakJel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 11:33   #8

thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts!

I was sold on the Defender; but had a really crappy Sales experience from their leadership that didnt give me any confidence on delivery or service/spares.

Went a completely different way on this and got an Etron 55
Etype is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks