Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2023, 19:35   #1
BHPian

Upgrade from 3rd-gen Honda City | Which car for 15 lakhs?

Hi,

My uncle currently owns a 2009 3rd Honda City AT. That car has covered 1.6L KMs and still runs like a gem. Unfortunately, due to the NGT rules, he is forced to let go it.

He is in the market for a new car with a budget of ~15L.

He is primarily looking at CSUVs like Creta and Grand Vitara, but open to Sedans if it provides a higher value.

He does not want a lot of gadgets, just wants a decent car, which is nice to drive, looks good, and has a great back seat. He has a driver so he is not keen on spending 2L extra on AT, though I am pushing for it.

Must have:
1. ABS, Airbags, etc.
2. Great backseat.
3. Reliable.
4. Fuel efficient.
5. Basic gizmos like Bluetooth, navigation, steering mounted controls, etc.

Good to have:
1. Alloy wheels.
2. Reverse camera.

Don't want:
1. Sunroof.
2. ADAS, other connected car tech.
3. Cruise control.

I have suggested him the following cars:
1. Creta EX: Has all the basic features, and is VFM, but does not have any AT option. ~13.6L
2. Grand Vitara Delta: Has everything right, but does only has 2 airbags, as opposed to 6 in the Creta EX. ~13.7L
3. Grand Vitara Zeta AT: This is the perfect car, considering it is AT too, but don't know if it is worth the 4L premium over the previous 2 options. ~17.7L
4. Grand Vitara Hybrid: With the current usage of ~20k/year, it will break even in 3 years or so.

He is in no rush, but needs the car delivered within the next 9 months (that's when the current car will expire). We have not taken any test drives yet, and planning to do so in the coming 2 weeks.

What does the forum recommend? Should we consider some other options? Is it worth waiting for Honda's CSUV?

Also, he is also open to a 1-2 year old used vehicle, but all the ones I saw are priced steeply with barely any depreciation.

Thanks in advance!

Mods, I could not find any thread for CSUV ~15L, please move the post if required.
bansal.sushant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 20:02   #2
BHPian

re: Upgrade from 3rd-gen Honda City | Which car for 15 lakhs?

If you are open to sedans, then the VAG twins, The Virtus and the Slavia are good options. They are VFM, with all basics covered, good engine, good fuel economy, good driving as well as rear seat comfort, and they will be much better suited for city/highway driving. On top of that, they have good ground clearance, so the infamous speed breaker damage is also less probable.

Best part is, the sedans, are better priced than their CSUV siblings, offering a much bigger bang for the buck. Final icing on the cake is, you should be able to get them without much waiting!

Alternatively you can go for the shortly launching Verna. Almost similar advantages, though ground clearance might be lesser than its CSUV cousin the Creta.

Last edited by kosjam : 4th March 2023 at 20:03. Reason: typos galore
kosjam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 20:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
If you are open to sedans, then the VAG twins, The Virtus and the Slavia are good options.

Best part is, the sedans, are better priced than their CSUV siblings, offering a much bigger bang for the buck.

Alternatively you can go for the shortly launching Verna. Almost similar advantages, though ground clearance might be lesser than its CSUV cousin the Creta.
I really like the VAG twins, but the service and reliability aspect scares me.

I too used to think that sedans are better prices than their CSUV siblings, but variant to variant, the difference is barely 50k, and I think the 'status' of CSUVs make up for it. Thoughts?

Yup, I am excited for the upcoming Verna, looking forward to it!
Old 4th March 2023, 21:47   #4

Welcome to the infamous Honda City upgrade dilemma! What the City has been offering at it's price point is truly exceptional as compared to cars today.

Now, coming to your question-
So you mention 'great backseat' - I wouldn't recommend Creta/Seltos/GV aka Hyryder for this demand at all!
I too own a the 4th Gen BS6 City and am used to driving it myself. It just so happened that on a road trip, I let someone take over the wheel and sat in the rear seat for the first time and boy, I was overwhelmed at the amount of leg room. The City simply sniggers at it's European counterparts in that aspect.
So I think Creta shouldn't be considered if you want to stretch your legs after "a hard day's night".

I would strongly recommend the VAG twins. If the service and reliability aspects scares you, tell him to buy a manual strictly. It's anyway chauffeur driven, yeah?
I'd insist that you urge him to check out the XL6! It's not as powerful as the City, but is easily the best bang for your buck that you can get. Captain seats with ample legroom will make you never want to get out of the car. So XL 6 over the Korean brothers and Japanese twins.

Looking at the mileage of his existing City, I suppose he frequents the highways? So DPF issues shouldn't happen and you can increase your budget a little and eye the XUV700 5 seater, AX3 variant.

All the best and keep us updated. Excited to see which car is a 'worthy' upgrade to the City as I anticipate myself to be in those boots soon.
Cheers!

Last edited by aah78 : 4th March 2023 at 22:42. Reason: Fixed.
jai_asnani98 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 22:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal.sushant View Post
I really like the VAG twins, but the service and reliability aspect scares me.

I too used to think that sedans are better prices than their CSUV siblings, but variant to variant, the difference is barely 50k, and I think the 'status' of CSUVs make up for it. Thoughts?

Yup, I am excited for the upcoming Verna, looking forward to it!
Well, anecdotal evidence and feedback from my family which recently purchased a blue Slavia is that service is improving, and the parts are not that expensive, maybe comparable to Honda. In the last 3-4 years people have been complaining lesser about the costs of service and reliability issues.

Regarding status, from your initial thread, I got the feeling that your uncle does not care much for it. In any case, the comfort of a sedan will never be matched by a SUV. Simply because of the tall nature, which requires a stiffer suspension. SUVs aren't always better if the roads in your location are good enough. Only if you have bad roads, would you need SUVs in my opinion.

Road presence is a totally subjective opinion. I for one prefer comfort over road presence. But there is no wrong answer.

There might be only a 50K price difference, but if fuel economy is important, running costs will see quite a lot of difference.
Old 6th March 2023, 08:40   #6
BHPian

I would suggest the 5th gen City. I really like the interiors of the car, and legroom is a well known thing in the city. I would strongly suggest you to include this car in your list.
saikishor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 09:42   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I’ll break a hard truth to you. Any car you buy for 15L today is pretty much a downgrade from the Gen3 City. All options will feel worse built. Cabin and interior quality will be below what your uncle is used to. The engines you get will be worse, or equivalent at best. That, my friend, is the effect of inflation.

The closest like for like replacement is the gen5 City. It has more space that his current ride, the engine is essentially the same, and it is basically an up to date version of his car, with the same kind of reliability. You mention high running of 20k km per year, which makes me a bit hesitant about suggesting the Slavia or Kushaq.

Hyryder strong hybrid is a valid option from fuel efficiency point of view, but the base model costs 18L and has a long waiting. And it will be a downgrade from the Gen3 City in terms of cabin quality, fit and finish and overall refinement. However, the back seat angle is pretty upright, which is a USP of sorts as the user is elderly and it will be easier on his back and neck. Seat cushioning is also spot on. And the suspension is superb. Do take a long test drive before making a decision. Also, strong hybrid over the ‘mild’ one, any day.

Maruti XL6 with captain chairs is also a good option, as you say he is chauffeur driven. Space and comfort is very good, and it is just as proven and reliable as a City.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 6th March 2023 at 09:45.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 10:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest to go for the face lifted City itself. At 15 lacs as many have pointed out you will get lesser space. The new City will be a perfect replacement for the older one. It may have the same kind of engine but atleast it will not be a downgrade with respect to space, reliability etc. The interior of the new City looks and feel premium to me and the sun roof though your uncle may not have a thing for it will be a novelty factor not that I am a fan of sun roofs though.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 10:52   #9
BHPian

Re: Upgrade from Honda City: Which car ~15L

Hi! I would also suggest a Gen 5 City which would perfectly meet all his requirements especially the rear seat comfort. City has been and still is one of the finest products available today. There are very few options that offer a blend of complete peace of mind, comfort & quality and City still excels in these areas.
mohitm29 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 10:55   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Upgrade from 3rd-gen Honda City | Which car for 15 lakhs?

To "upgrade" from the 3rd-gen Honda City, you would need to spend more than 15 lakhs. Because if you consider inflation since 2009, he paid well over 15 lakhs for his 3rd-gen Honda City.

Since you say the current running is 20,000 km / year, a Hybrid makes perfect sense. Something like the City / Grand Vitara / Hyryder Hybrids would be ideal.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 12:45   #11
BHPian

Thanks a lot for /u/bansal_sushant, and /u/Shreyans_Jain specifically and Thanks everyone else too for pitching in.

I thought of posting this exact question this morning but I already see it here. This thread is a godsend.

Based on the responses, I have decided to retain my 2013 Honda City Petrol V AT, and save myself from an headache and 20L odd rupees. Thats the power of T-BHP. I will run this car until govt wants it to be retired.

Sincere thanks to one and all.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 6th March 2023 at 12:47.
bsdbsd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 14:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest wait for Honda CSUV. That in hybrid guise would be the ideal upgrade but budget has to be atleast 20ish L. Please factor in the inflation. 3rd Gen City was a gem and replacing it with 15L car today would only feel like a downgrade. No two ways about it.

Other option would be Hyryder/G.Vitara strong hybrid. Considering high running of 20k kms/year.

Last edited by SoumenD : 6th March 2023 at 14:14.
Old 6th March 2023, 14:19   #13
BHPian

Upgrade in any sense is possible only if you go the pre owned route.
I would suggest a tucson diesel.
Elantra diesel/ petrol
Wouldn’t suggest the octavia as the diesels will be steeply priced and the petrol dsg won’t be reliable
The tucson has a surprisingly spacious and comfortable rear seat with proper reclining function.
Old 6th March 2023, 15:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I’ll break a hard truth to you. Any car you buy for 15L today is pretty much a downgrade from the Gen3 City. All options will feel worse built.
Totally agree.. 10L car in 2010 has become a 22- 23 L car now ( not considering the CSUV and turbos which I feel are priced exhobirant)
Old 6th March 2023, 16:03   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal.sushant View Post
......does not want a lot of gadgets, just wants a decent car, which is nice to drive, looks good, and has a great back seat.

Must have:
1. ABS, Airbags, etc.
2. Great backseat.
3. Reliable.
4. Fuel efficient.
5. Basic gizmos like Bluetooth, navigation, steering mounted controls, etc.

Good to have:
1. Alloy wheels.
2. Reverse camera.

Don't want:
1. Sunroof.
2. ADAS, other connected car tech.
3. Cruise control.

........Is it worth waiting for Honda's CSUV?

All the above requirements point to Honda City 5th Generation. Depending on the variant, you may end up spending slightly higher than 15L but in my opinion it would be worth it. Approx. 20k kms / year in NGT means Hybrid (City eHEV, Grand Vitara, Toyota HyRyder) could be a better option. Sunroof, Cruise Control and ADAS is something that all the current Hybrid options come equipped with unless he decides to go with entry level variants.

I would also recommend you to wait for Honda's CSUV just to ensure you don't miss out on something new.

Good luck.

Most Viewed