Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2007, 11:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Few benefits of living up North. Pay less tax !! Actually comparing Gurgaon / Haryana to rest of the states , it is one third the cost of road tax. You pay so less here in Gurgaon. I get all my cars reg at my Gurgaon address. Makes sense.

Anyways - Coming Back to Safari - Many people are telling me not to buy this vehicle as it is outdated and a Oil leaking Heap !! i do not understand, people here at TBHP swear by their Safaris. I would love to buy one. Why should I not ? I get such a bug SUV for the price of a Verna.

Then at the same time People tell me to extend my bidget by a further 1.5L and go for a G4 Innova. Hmm.. Now that is something I could do.
Old 31st July 2007, 11:37   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Anyways - Coming Back to Safari - Many people are telling me not to buy this vehicle as it is outdated and a Oil leaking Heap !!
yes some of them are having this problem, i don't have this problem till now, 1000kms and 1 month, can't say anything in future...but for a safari owner everything else is less, atleast for me.

Quote:
Then at the same time People tell me to extend my bidget by a further 1.5L and go for a G4 Innova. Hmm.. Now that is something I could do.
Can't compare a Safari to a Innova...both are totally different, that's my view.
Old 31st July 2007, 15:03   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Thank you Sumanji !! BTW How is yr Safari treating you ?

I am seriously considering buying one !! Getting the middle variant for 8.5 on road Gurgaon Reg. ( Gurgaon Dhingra offering only 10k discount ).
Mine's treating me good..........well, what are you waiting for, as they say, GO FOR IT!!!!
Old 31st July 2007, 15:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Mine's treating me good..........well, what are you waiting for, as they say, GO FOR IT!!!!
Well, I would have gone for it !! BUT if you have been reading the other threads, they are saying TATA is going to launch the new 2.2 with a facelift within a week. So why not wait !!!
Cheers !!
Old 8th August 2007, 19:10   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I went through this SUV decision dilemma for nearly 6 months. I considered everything from Gypsy, Fusion, Bolero, Scorpio, Gama, Gurkha, Sumo... and finally decided on Safari.
I appreciate your choice, I love to hear about people who love Safari. By the way I never had the kind of your dilemma for choosing safari. But me and my wife had a tough time convincing our parents and colleagues who argued against it and recommended Innova/Scorpio! My brother-in-law owns a Scorpio and all the family was inclined to Scorpio. My views and requirements outperformed their pleads! And now all are singing hallelujah to safari after experiencing the monster!

Quote:
Compared to Bolero, that's not bad. But you will get the great Safari ride comfort.
Thats true I never saw a vehicle which is as good as Safari for long drives- When I say long its really long - 1000+ always . I drive the machine to Kerala from Hyderabad 1000+ Kms in single stretch with my wife and 2 year old son and all three of us are comfortable. (No back aches or leg cramp)

Quote:
Fusion has real bad ride on bad roads I hear.
Ohh yeah, thats true and none said that fusion is for bad roads- the design is meant for city drives (UAV-Urban Activated Vehicle-or whatever it is!).

Samurai- your Avatar is great!
Old 9th August 2007, 11:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Barathan: Buy a Safari and when you visit the ASC, take the doctor along and request him to a do a Salman there. Rest assured, for the rest of your life you shall be treated well at the workshop even if you cease to own a Tata product...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
barathan saar vanakkam!
if you're thinking of a buying a safari.....
1.dont worry about resale coz you wont be in a hurry to sell the damn machine.even when you do you wouldnt care less coz she would have thrilled every muscle in your body by then.
2.after sales service never sucks for a safari dicor owner.in fact they treat you much better then any other tata vehicle owner.no way will they treat you like a 'driver'.
Old 9th August 2007, 12:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

It does. Depends how aggressive you are and how menacing you look as well. The glare also is very important....I haven't driven down south so can't comment.

But having driven in North amongst the notorious haryanvi & burly punjabi drivers, I've commanded respect in both, the Safari & Scorpio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post

Originally Posted by Jaggu
Having an SUV doesnt earn much respect on an highway, it actually helps in city with smaller cars, cabs and autorics, then again a pain cos of the size.

I don't get it. I thought it does
Old 9th August 2007, 16:35   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
But having driven in North amongst the notorious haryanvi & burly punjabi drivers, I've commanded respect in both, the Safari & Scorpio.
OT:gd you can command respect even if you were on a bicycle!
your safari and scorpio have little to do with it.
you look like an armed war tank on a party pack of blue pills.
Old 9th August 2007, 18:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Barathan: Buy a Safari and when you visit the ASC, take the doctor along and request him to a do a Salman there. Rest assured, for the rest of your life you shall be treated well at the workshop even if you cease to own a Tata product...
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
OT:gd you can command respect even if you were on a bicycle!
your safari and scorpio have little to do with it.
you look like an armed war tank on a party pack of blue pills.
Mutual admiration society?
Old 9th August 2007, 20:51   #40
BHPian

Like someone said in this post somewhere even I wud suggest go for a new Safari LX or go for a swift DDiS.
but somehow after todays test drive of a safari I was sort of disappointed, firstly I thought the Safari Dicor wud be like zip zap zapang. I have reason for thinking that way I had driven a Swift DDiS and thought if this 1.3 can do this how wud the safari's 3Ltr wud be and I was put off after the test drive it is soooooo damn slugggish even the swift is a tiny little sluggish at the same uphill that too in 2nd gr with AC on but the safari was full on sluggish even at 1st at the same uphill!!! dissappointed hmmmm I thought it is cheaper that the verna at 7.5 ++ something after discount but no I realised cheap doesnot mean u shud live with some mistakes which TATA has to rectify. Sometimes I wonder how STEEROID might be tolerating his Safari after driving so many beautifull machines...

pardon my spelling mistakes am too used to auto spell check...
Old 11th August 2007, 20:25   #41
Senior - BHPian

sameer,

you need to be in the Safari's powerband to get the best out of the vehicle. It is a 2 ton beast and not a sports car. If you are comparing it to the Swift thn you will definately be disappointed as the two are as different as chalk and cheese. This vehicle is all about presence, acres of space comfort and long high way drives. To buy a Safari you need a particular "Keeda" which helps you appreciate its many Positives and gloss over a few negatives. ( Much like the bullet vs modern bikes)
Old 11th August 2007, 21:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg View Post
firstly I thought the Safari Dicor wud be like zip zap zapang safari was full on sluggish even at 1st at the same uphill!!! dissappointed
I would say its a wrong perception, the 3.0L Safari was never a "zip zap zapang" vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg View Post
hmmmm I thought it is cheaper that the verna at 7.5 ++ something after discount but no I realised cheap doesnot mean u shud live with some mistakes which TATA has to rectify.
I totally agree with your views, well said.
Old 11th August 2007, 22:59   #43
BHPian

Gentlemen,
Please do not take me wrong all Safari Fans. Am only trying to find out the truth.
Start:
I agree it is not fair to compare a swift with a Safari but undeniable is the fact that Swift is far far refined for the money, it is like I wud rather buy a PS3 or I won't buy but I just wont settle for a xbox it is like a Pizza hut is a pizza hut there is no comparison to...am getting to emotional. May be because I had very high hopes of this true Indian product and high reagrds but sort of felt cheated like how come there is diary mil choc underneath the lindt cover!!

Some facts I am not too sure if again if it is worth the comparison, correct me please all the gurus.

Innova is heavier than the Safari as per the spec sheet on their respective sites

Innova ----2290
Safari ------2115(2225)*

Innova has a smaller engine but trust me it is amazing in comparison in terms of ride I have tested Innova also at the same roads and the great UPHILL!! goes like a breeze.

My humble question is why this difference is it a problem or is it because it is cheap, like you get what you pay for. Guys throw some real input it will help lot of buyers out there who will be guided to the right direction.
Old 12th August 2007, 21:17   #44
Senior - BHPian

Sameer, It is true that mechanically the Innova is a better vehicle. After all it is a Toyota. But for all the refinement the Innova offers, it is a Van. Go for the Safari if you want a certain way of life, love a SUV. If you are buying for other reasons the Innova will be a better choice.

Alternatively, you could wait for the Safari 2.32 which will have a more modern and powerful engine and therefore should be a lot quicker. The Dicor 3.0 is basically a truck engine ( from the 407) modified extensively to do duty in the Safari hence the lack of refinement and power.
Old 13th August 2007, 03:49   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Mutual admiration society?
nah! just being polite......

@sameer: please do a search on this forum for a comparison between an innova and a safari.
most of your points have been discussed and rationalized already.
it will aid you in making a decision.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks