Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2007, 19:28   #1
BHPian

Graduating from car to SUV..need help.

Hi guys,

I have been driving a M800 for the past 4 years and I really like the car.
I like to drive to anyplace outstation I'm going. The problem is this car is a gem for city driving but it is too fragile for the highway. It gets unsettled by bad roads and high speed driving is plain adrenaline rush.
Nobody treats it with respect in the highways starting from lorries to cycle and they try to push you off the road. One bad stretch and my wheels are all bent.

Hence I thought I will graduate from that to an suv. Initially I had plans on getting a Swift D but now I'm thinking of an entry level Suv.

Please help me choose. Since my budget is low the choices or pretty limited.

1. Mahindra Bolero
2.Tata Sumo Victa
3. Second hand scorpio or safari.

The main criteria should be that the vehicle should be rugged and can taken on moderate mud roads and back roads.

It should not have high maintainence however I don't mind crudeness upto certain degree.

MY budget is 5.5 to 6 L max.

help!

Bala.
Old 13th July 2007, 22:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

for the price the best to a suv is the mahindra bolero

i had one for 6 months and its a good car and will take you any where and its very strong

and have a look at m2di scorpio its a lac cheaper than a normal scorpio

the difference between normal scorpio and m2di is that it has the bolero engine
rest is same as the normal base model scorpio

and as for second hand look at the safari
Old 13th July 2007, 22:45   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

The Bolero. It does what its supposed to very well
Old 13th July 2007, 22:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

I suggest a new Safari TCIC. But you will have to increase your budget a little bit though.
Old 13th July 2007, 22:52   #5
BHPian

go for one two years old Scorpio if you can bolero is also a very good vehicle ,safari is recommended only new with extended warranty so that tatas problems be handled by tatas and not you ,one cant simply ignore safari as it has its own qualities which are too good ,but only reliability issues which only telco can handle ,secondly the new one is out of budget
Old 13th July 2007, 23:32   #6
BHPian

Thanks guys

Hey guys thanks for all the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
the difference between normal scorpio and m2di is that it has the bolero engine
rest is same as the normal base model scorpio

and as for second hand look at the safari
I Like the way the Bolero looks so if its the same engine then wouldn't a Bolero which is cheaper a better option?. However if there is going to be a sea of difference in the quality levels, then there might be a good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I suggest a new Safari TCIC. But you will have to increase your budget a little bit though.
I have already supassed my intended budget DC by going upto a lakh.
The SLX would cost me 6 L whereas my primary target was Swift DDi -5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubin2006 View Post
go for one two years old Scorpio if you can bolero is also a very good vehicle ,safari is recommended only new with extended warranty so that tatas problems be handled by tatas and not you ,one cant simply ignore safari as it has its own qualities which are too good ,but only reliability issues which only telco can handle ,secondly the new one is out of budget
I understand what you say with the warranty. Its sad I feel Safari is the most comfortable highway vehicle you can drive.

But the question is New Bolero(top of the line) or Used scorpio
Old 14th July 2007, 00:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Get a new Bolero, it is a fantastic car for the city & the highways. I had one for a year & enjoyed it totally. Very low maintenance & trouble free performance. Survived a flood in my colony too.

The AC is just fantastic
Old 14th July 2007, 00:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Get a new Bolero, it is a fantastic car for the city & the highways. I had one for a year & enjoyed it totally. Very low maintenance & trouble free performance. Survived a flood in my colony too.

The AC is just fantastic
I read about the flood and you Bolero in the other threads. We will talk more about it when I meet you tommorow.
Old 14th July 2007, 09:03   #9
BHPian

I think that the ground clearance of fusion is better than a couple of SUVs.
If that's the case, you can consider fusion too.
Cos I donno why... due to the previous models perhaps... I have a string bias against the boleros, sumos and the likes.
Old 20th July 2007, 21:44   #10

Hi There,

Same situation here. My budget is around 7.5 to 8L. My options are

1. Ford Fiesta (Diesel)
2. Mahindra Scorpio
3. Tata Safari.

But i love to buy Tata safari but i am really worried about its Resale value and Tatas After sales service, because i am currently owning a Tata Indica and the after sales service sucks :((. TATA People treat you like a driver and takes very long time for servicing. Guys please advice me on getting a good car. What are the constraints i need to see if i want to buy a second hand Endavour. Please Help !!.
Old 21st July 2007, 03:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathan View Post

But i love to buy Tata safari but i am really worried about its Resale value and Tatas After sales service, because i am currently owning a Tata Indica and the after sales service sucks :((. TATA People treat you like a driver and takes very long time for servicing.
barathan saar vanakkam!
if you're thinking of a buying a safari.....
1.dont worry about resale coz you wont be in a hurry to sell the damn machine.even when you do you wouldnt care less coz she would have thrilled every muscle in your body by then.
2.after sales service never sucks for a safari dicor owner.in fact they treat you much better then any other tata vehicle owner.no way will they treat you like a 'driver'.
Old 21st July 2007, 09:52   #12
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
I think that the ground clearance of fusion is better than a couple of SUVs.
If that's the case, you can consider fusion too.
Cos I donno why... due to the previous models perhaps... I have a string bias against the boleros, sumos and the likes.
Go for a real SUV. Not a X-over SUV like the Fusion or Suzuki X-over 4 (SX4)

Old 24th July 2007, 19:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathan View Post
What are the constraints i need to see if i want to buy a second hand Endavour. Please Help !!.
I know about six-seven such tanks in our office

The drivers claim a mileage of 5-6 kmpl. So, you may wish to buy out an oilfield while you're at it . That being said, the expats do take the vehicles out for all kinda trips. Never heard any issues from them/their drivers.

Only issue with resale is that hardly anyone can afford it - those who can, won't like a third hand endeavor!
Old 24th July 2007, 20:18   #14
Team-BHP Support

Can you be more specific on the usage, from your original post i wouldnt suggest an SUV.

Am not gonna preach you to buy swift d since i have one or anything, but to state facts i have done around 7000 kms of which almost 4000 kms of south indian highway (best to the worst) and i havent faced an issue so far (touches wood).

Living with cross over Crv also, but i still match same timings on my regular routes with swift d, sometimes faster coz of the cars size as well as the power delivery. Add great FE for icing.

Having an SUV doesnt earn much respect on an highway, it actually helps in city with smaller cars, cabs and autorics, then again a pain cos of the size.

My trips are 2 adults most of the time, with occasional full load of 4 to 5 and hence swift works out well compared to Crv.
Old 27th July 2007, 01:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Go for a real SUV. Not a X-over SUV like the Fusion or Suzuki X-over 4 (SX4)

Thanks for posting that bro. I think Fusion is over priced so it is defenitely ruled out!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks