Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2023, 23:46   #16
BHPian

Re: Confused between Tata Safari and Mahindra Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
XUV7OO may not *feel* rugged, but the monocoque build (with a ring structure) has solid torsional rigidity.

Soft suspension, yes. But the car bottoming out is unheard of. It could be something with the test drive car. Take another TD when you visit the showroom.
Well I would like to address this with quite a bit of assurance since I have taken 3 test drives on 3 different XUV700's. On the same speed bump taken at 15 kmph on various different cars with same set of passangers (less than full load of the vehicles), I managed to bottom out the suspension scraping the underbelly of the car for the following cars -
  • XUV700
  • Hyundai Tuscon 2022
The ones that didn't scrape ever on that same stretch taken at the same speed and same set of passangers -
  • Tata Safari
  • Mahindra Scorpio-N
  • Tata Hexa (crossed umpteen times since I often travel through that route)
The XUV7OO may have torsional rigidity, no doubt. But that is more useful while cornering, or going through 3 wheels traction kind of humps, etc. Being an urban roads and buyers biased vehicle, it may still be able to cross the speed hump without bottoming out, if taken at may be 5kmph or 10kmph. But then so would a good GC sedan like Skoda Slavia. But neither would such vehciles do it happily everyday nor be able to avoid rattles in the cabin because a lot of whatever its undergoing underneath its body shall be transferred inside the cabin. And I can't live with cars with rattles. And out of 3 XUV700's I test drove, 2 of them had rattles arising out of usage on rough roads.

Last edited by TORQUE_AANJANEY : 9th March 2023 at 23:48.
Old 10th March 2023, 00:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
As a fellow Hexa owner, I relate with everything you say. As good as Hexa is, the car tends to become a money pit after 5-6 years. All sorts of kinds have that much life only, and they start failing one after the other. Parts are not easy to source and downtime gets lengthy. My advice is that unless you have access to an FNG you trust, it is better to sell it off when you can still get good value for it.

There is no like for like replacement of Hexa. Safari feels like a downgrade. Scorpio N is closer in feel and drive, though ultimately not as sorted. Its space management is lazy, but then it is still better than the Safari that has zero boot space with the third row up. Do consider the base model of the Jeep Meridian as well, which is close in price and feels and drives a lot better.
I have 2 questions for you -
  1. What is your experience in claiming that Hexa beyond 5-6 years becomes a money pit ? If you don't mind sharing the variant and the duration you have kept it. It will certainly help me take a better decision.
  2. Why would you recommend the Jeep Meridian or for that matter even the Compass, when both of them -
    • Have the same Fiat Engine in the same tune as in the Harrier / Safari ?
    • Jeep's ZF 8 speed Autobox is worse caliberated to the 2l FCA engine than the tuning Tata has achieved with Hyundai's 6 speed ?
    • All 4 of them - The Jeep duo's - Compass and Meridian and Tata's duo's - Harrier and Safari - aren't NCAP tested with this engine and right hand side driving combination ?
    • Both Compass and Meridian are rattle magnets ?

Just FYI - I have test driven the Jeep Meridian. Though the ride is mature and the vehicle feels solid, the autobox is very slow and confused for my liking and the rattle horrors on the Jeep keep me away from both Compass and Meridian, not to mention being overpriced exploiting the brand name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
If you have managed so far with a Hexa , you probably do not need a ScorpioN - it would do a poor job of being a people mover, primarily because it's at best a 5+2 and very intentionally done that way. I think you should consider more practical people movers considering your parents - Innova and it's hybrid versions are a good place to start

I know these two vehicles in contention very well as we have them in the family - Safari is a stop gap product made with bits and pieces that they could get , ScorpioN and XUV7OO are a way Mahindra is showing off what Indian automobile industry can achieve - they are much superior vehicles in every manner, I doubt if Tata can catch up with their ICE vehicles at all, Tata is betting on EVs instead.
I would certainly agree on the fact that Tata has somehow stopped showing interest in the Diesel ICE space, by trying to drag the already unrefined 2L Fiat sourced engine (with only rumors going on about bringing back the Varicore 2.2L for BS6 Phase 2 and later).

However, I don't quite understand how Harrier / Safari are their stop gap solutions ? I can certainly agree Tata Hexa was a stop gap product, becuase it was essentially Aria in its best possible avatar and Harrier was some distance to be launched. Hexa was basically Tata showing what they are capable of. But Safari and Harrier have the famed Range Rover D8 platform derived OmegaArc platform which is also currently their only platform for cars longer than 4.3 meters. This same Omega platform is being heavily re-engineered and used in Tata's 2nd Gen EV cars (Harrier EV and Safari EV) apart from Alpha platform (Currv and Sierra EV). This consolidation of platforms recently helped Tata Motors earn more per car than even Maruti.

So Harrier and Safari are stop gap products, I don't think so. Did Tata Motors have a lazy execution by introducing the products far too early in the market before maturing it, I would agree when I see Harrier's Autobox availability and power bump from 140hp to 170hp took more than a year. But credit must be given where its due. The Safari while being a monocoque, didn't feel as robust as the BOF Scorpio, but it also didn't feel as delicate as the XUV700 or the Hyundai Tuscon. Also while my phone (S22 Ultra) wireless Android Auto did disconnect from both Mahindras' - XUV and Scorpio-N during my test drives (and wouldn't reconnect despite shutting down the vehicle completely) - but even in that archaic 8.8" laggy old touchscreen of Safari, never once did my wireless Android Auto disconnect.

Also if you observe closely, the quality of buttons and materials used in the Tata is better than those of Mahindra. Look at the nappa leather grain finish soft touch dashboard top of Safari / Harrier and compare it with hard scratchy plastic tops of XUV700 or the Scorpio. The damping and quality of the AC buttons and rotary dial on the dashboard is also better. Fit is something that Tata needs to work on, but quality and finish is already superior to the competition.

The above arguments don't mean based on this alone I will plonk my 25+ lacs in a Tata Safari, but I think we were just too harsh on the Tata siblings without giving credit where its due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Thinking of selling the Hexa just because it is going to 5 years ?

My Storme will soon complete 10. I dont see a suitable replacement in the market. And definitely not going to spend another 20 big ones at this time for the available options.
I have probably come to terms that Hexa was a pehnomenon that won't ever be repeated. And I would rather have happy memories of the car after parting with it rather than remember its last few days with me which were problematic, frustrating and draining me financially.

Though its possible the Hexa may not trouble me as I'm anticipating, but my next window to buy a car after June 2023, is after June 2026 (some personal reasons and committments). And vouching for a troublefree ownership of the Hexa till June 2026 is something I'm not sure of, especially after the OEM warranty expires.
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 08:54   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUE_AANJANEY View Post
I have 2 questions for you -[list=1][*]What is your experience in claiming that Hexa beyond 5-6 years becomes a money pit ? If you don't mind sharing the variant and the duration you have kept it. It will certainly help me take a better decision.[*]Why would you recommend the Jeep Meridian or for that matter even the Compass, when both of them -
Pls refer my thread where I have detailed the upkeep of my Hexa

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...expired-2.html

As for Meridian, I feel this is the car which comes closest to Hexa is terms of solidity, comfort, a cabin which looks and feels great and sheer mile munching ability. The rattling issues were limited to the initial cars which came out, and is sorted now. As for the gearbox, it is a bit slow, definitely in city traffic. But the 9 speeds endow it with very long legs and it really comes into its own on highways, in a way Harrier just can’t. It can gobble up kilometres all day, just like Hexa, while having Hexa like ride quality at highway speeds for the second row passengers as well. NVH is excellent, and it’s a rare car you would want to keep driving even after 8-10 hours behind the wheel. Just like Hexa.

PS: I own a Compass and am hugely impressed by Meridian for use as a highway car.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 14:12   #19
BHPian

Go for a Tucson Diesel AWD if you can stretch your budget. Recommending based on my own purchase and ownership experience.
Old 10th March 2023, 19:21   #20
BHPian

Retain your Hexa for a few more years. Period. Simple and the most important reason - Why fix something that ain't broken? To me, it looks like you are trying to let go of the tiger's tail to hold the lion's tail. Why would you do that?

Other reasons why you should retain your Hexa
1. There is absolutely no match for the ride quality, space, and refinement of Hexa below 90L. The closest BOF 7 seater is the Crysta and Gloster.
2. Harrier/Safari are half-baked products of Tata. Even after 4 years of launch, there are numerous issues with Harrier, let alone rattling. And Safari in fact is a downgrade for you.
3. All the other alternatives that you are considering (Jeep, Tata, M&M) are prone to rattling. And the ASS experience and reliability are definitely hit or miss.
4. I am sure you will agree that there is no perfect car that meets 100% of the requirements. So it all depends what can you compromise and what you cannot. In your case, you are already happy with the Hexa. So why compromise on something that cannot satisfy you?
5. Finally, you don't have a strong/valid enough reason to let go of your well maintained, problem free, and happily owned Hexa.

I think it is not difficult to find a good FNG to maintain your Hexa as I see that you are from Bangalore.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 01:54   #21

First of all thank you so much for this thread.

I own a Storme 2014 and was in same position till last month.

My options included following:
1. Scorpio N Petrol
2. Safari face lift Black and Red edition
3. Toyota Crysta 2.4 AT (seemed perfect choice until it was discontinued)
4. Isuzu MU-X
5. Scorpio Classic

I was in such situation because my storme timing belt broke while driving which in turn damaged engine. There were only two options left, one from brain and one from heart.
Owning a safari has been my dream since childhood and i have loved every moment with it. Test driving all these vehicles gave me an insight on how much unique and special storme had been to me and my family all these years.

Reading your experience and replies on this thread made me happier that your hexa is giving you sufficient reasons to stick with it and thus I would like to suggest that you keep your hexa and enjoy it to the fullest.

As for me, obviously I went with my heart again and kept the beast alive!
gold_heart007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 03:12   #22
BHPian

First of all, I would sincerely appreciate everyone who has responded on this thread for giving their feedback and sharing their experiences. I could have also procastinated and contemplated my options - alone in a silo, but I hope by writing down my dilemma and my line of thought to face that dilemma, might help some interested or affected motorists.

I was provided an estimated delivery date for the Scorpio-N (Z8L AT 4x4) sometime next week, which today I cancelled and now waiting for the refund processing to conclude within next 2 weeks. I was not all that certain about cancelling the Scorpio-N but a last and final test drive today morning, kind of sealed the decision for me. I will objectively try to list the Pros and Cons of the Scorpio in the context of comparison against my Hexa.
  1. Design
    There is no doubt that the Scorpio-N despite being an evolution of the Scorpio Classic, is one of the better designs of Mahindra. For that matter I still can't see the XUV700 growing on me despite seeing it a lot in flesh and often on the roads (For me the front, side and rear of the XUV700 looks incoherent. Just pure design wise, amongst the newer Tata and Mahindra lot - its the Harrier / Safari for me anyday, but the Scorpio-N comes a close 2nd).

The Hexa does look muscular and substantial, but looses some of its street cred / presence due to the sloping bonnet line which has been well masked by a clamshell bonnet. If I would want to change the design on Hexa I wouldn't want the bonnet to be any longer than it already is (that would just make it look like a station wagon with the already long length it has, unless the overall height of the car isn't also increased in proportion). I would have just wanted it a little bit more upright. Had the bonnet been any more sloping, it would only remind of the Aria or the Innova before the Crysta - making it a certain MPV sillhoute, which many still think it to be. But if Tiguan can pass as a SUV despite its front fascia, for me Hexa will do. While Scorpio-N has a better approach and breakover angle than the Hexa (the one on Hexa ain't bad though), the Hexa despite being touted by some as an MPV has a better departure angle. And none of the MPVs it gets compared to can boast of such a decent departure angle. The rear overhangs are in large SUV territory and with a modified bumper, the front overhangs can also accomodate a better approach angle. But let's not dwell on can be's.

Hence, the Socrpio-N did pull the right strings for me and the family based on pure exterior design which includes the long upright bonnet, tall height, wide track and large wheels that do justice to its significant wheel arches. However, look closely and its clear why the Tata Hexa has a fat kerb weight than the Scorpio-N by a good 200+ kgs. The sheet metal, the hinges for the doors, etc. I still can't understand since when hydralic struts, which I have for my Hexa's bonnet lid, became non-important for OEMs while designing heavy bonnets like those of Harrier, Safari and Scorpio-N ? Anyways the exterior of the Scorpio-N was a hit which is why I had booked the car.

2. Powertrain (Engine)
    The 2.2L Mahindra engine is just so refined vs the 2.2L Varicor on the Hexa. Enough has been spoken about it on the forums so I can't speak anything more than what has already been spoken of. It makes you wonder if its a diesel or a just a large Petrol engine ?

However, I have always known the Mahindra engines to be much more revv happy than long stoke Tata engines. But I couldn't make the Scorpio-N engine revv as quickly as I had expected (I was a 2.2L mHawk engine driver on my XUV500 for 4 years, so that was my expectation). May be it has to do with how the Auto gearbox is tuned on the Scorpio or probably the edge that BS6 has taken away from diesel engines. But the revvs on the Scorpio-N climbed in a smilar manner as they do on my Hexa (BS4), but with far lesser cabin noise. It's easier to keep flooring the Scorpio-N forgetting about the hit to the mileage than on the Hexa which shall remind you via engine growl note that you are gulping fuel.

However, if one is inconsiderate of the mileage, then putting the Hexa in Sports mode, makes it a rocket !! Especially when it activates race car mode after a few secs - which is nothing but even more aggresive accelaration than default sports mode if the ECU finds you flooring the accelarator frequently in Sports mode. The Scorpio-N AT 4x4 has no Sports (Zoom) mode and while it can potentially leave the Hexa behind after 120+ kmph due to higher bhp and higher bhp per tonne, upto the 100 kmph mark, if you unleash the Sports mode in Hexa it can match steps with Scorpio-N, if not beat it.

3. Steering
    Have already stated the much lighter steering of the Scorpio-N over my Hexa at parking speeds in my first post. So won't repeat the same. But what I found in this test drive was - while there was no feedback and the steering was light, the center has a vagueness. I found myself correcting the vehicle several times to drive straight than automatically steer to the left. The showroom person was confident this isn't a steering / wheel alignment issue because as per him the car had recently undergone the corrections. If he was right then that vague center and left pull can get very irritating on long highway drives. Not a very certain issue and could be limited to the test drive car but thought should still put it out here.

4. Ride Quality / Suspension
    When I last test drove the Scropio-N on better paved roads at high speeds, I was happy with how it was soaking undualtions silently and felt as if the ride quality difference between the Hexa and Scorpio is marginal. Oh Boy ! It is so not anywhere close. Like all Mahindras of the past and present, if you aren't taking potholes and craters at speed, the low speed ride (<40 kmph) leaves a lot desired.

I don't think it is inferior in soaking bumps, because it can take a lot of abuse with the suspension working silently and never could I bottom it out. The issue is, it doesn't settle back to composure that quickly as the Hexa does or a Duster does, making the ride jiggly. And if you have cars in front wherein you can't take those potholes at higher speed, you will feel the drive fatigue. More so behind the 1st row of seats. The driver and front co-passenger feel less of the jiggliness than those at the back. So whatever the Mahindra marketing team is saying about FSD 2nd gen dampers, they need more tuning.

People forget that Hexa was the 1st passenger car to intriduce FSDs before Jeep went ga-ga over that marketing for the Compass. Or perhaps this is the best that can be done on the Scorpio-N based on the mount points of the suspension relative to the body. Ride improvement is not only about right choice of the springs and dampers vs the weight and articulation of the car, but also their mount points. This is probably (my guess) why the superior Range Rover derived platform helps Harrier / Safari score better ride quality over the XUV700 despite not having FSDs and having the rudimentary panhard twist beam rod at the rear than the independent suspension on XUV700 or the pentalink setup on Scorpio-N. This is perhaps also why Duster achieved the great ride having normal dampers despite several cars of similar length and wheelbase unable to replicate its prowess. Whatever be the real reason, despite having 19" rims on my Hexa which has a lot less of the sidewall than the Scorpio-N, nails this game of ride quality.

5. Ergonomics
    While most of the controls and switches fall naturally to the hands, I found a few discomfort in this test drive that I hadn't noticed earlier. The Hexa, despite seating you high (not as high as the Scorpio though) because of BOF setup, has a low set dahsboard. Not Safari Storme league low set, but still quite low. Hence my driving position is basically with just 2 pumps of the manual height adjustment of the driver seat from the lowest level on the Hexa. However, the dash of Scorpio-N is set quite high. So unless shorter drivers like me set the seat height quite high (slighly below the max height possible) we can neither enjoy nor appreciate the frontal visibility. But it comes with its own cons. Then the fixed armrest between the driver and passanger seat and the driver door armpad do not fall to my elbows naturally. They feel like an inch or two lower than what I would be comfortable with and on long drives that will cause fatigue.

6. Cabin interior and space management
    1. 2nd row seats excessive lumbar protrusion
      There is excessive lower back lumbar protrusion which cannot be adjusted in the 2nd row bench seats. It is so much intrusive that you can't feel comfortable reclining the seats and resting your head on the headrests behind. The family got immediately put off with that. I also went to the rear seats to confirm the same experience as theirs.
    2. Placement of AC vents
      In the front row, the AC vents can't throw air at the driver without first freezing the left hand of the driver. I'm well aware of this flaw which was also present in my 2014 XUV500. I would have to keep rubbing the left hand to warm it periodically while driving on highways after prolonged exposure to the AC vents. You lower the temperature or divert the air flow elsewhere, you start sweating (if you are driving during daytime and can't avoid the sun falling on you). You direct it towards yourself and you need to prepare your left hand to withstand the cold after a while. Strangely this issue isn't so pronounced in the XUV700 and certainly couldn't notice in Harrier / Safari. Hexa has a very different vent placement so it just doesn't bother at all. This was one of the 1st few things I had noticed and appreciated in the Hexa after upgrading from the XUV500 5 years ago.

The 2nd row gets worse. The AC vents can't be adjusted enough to target ceiling or the heads of the side passengers. So like the 1st row AC vents, this one too can't cool the passengers without giving their knees a frostbite. I know the forstbite is exaggeration but the fact that 2nd row dedicated AC compressor is set at some 18 or so degrees independent of the temperature set at the front, my family was found fiddling with the blower controls through out the journey. They would start it, feel the knees getting too cold, turn off the blower fan only to feel the sun's heat after a while and then start the blower again and repeat. I can get massacred for forcing the family to switch from Hexa to Scorpio-N just for this reason alone, because fiddling with the blower fan every few mins on a long journey (6+ hours) is just too much hassle. I can't understand why car OEMs are continuously choosing the 2nd row vents only behind the driver's armrest than on the B pillars or the roof ?
    3. Music System
      The one on Scorpio-N can get loud but despite the 12 speaker setup and setting up immersive 3D sound provided by Sony and tweaking the equalizers on the infotainment screen, I couldn't get the Scorpio's system to match even that of my old Hexa, which I already feel is inferior to the tuning of the Harrier / Safari. The Hexa in comparison to the Scorpio-N offers more clarity, sound separation and a feeling of a wider soundstage. What the Hexa lacks vs the Harrier twins is the extra bass Tata has provided in the tuning for the Harrier and Safari - though both Hexa as well as Harrier / Safari have a 320W dual channel Amp. The reviews mostly suggest the Scorpio's music system to be a notch below XUV700's but the reality is - it is several notches below.

This last test drive helped me observe few things more closely that had otherwise skipped my eyes / observations about the Scorpio-N. It is no longer agricultural as the original Scorpio (Classic). But it just can't pamper the riders like the Hexa or XUV700 or Harrier / Safari. Also I recently got my brakes bled on the Hexa and the braking has improved slightly. What I also observed in my test drive with Scorpio-N that the initial bite from the brakes on the Scorpio is much sharper than the Hexa hence it inspires more confidence while doing higher speeds. But while bringing the car down from let's say 80 kmph to standstill or crawling speeds, both take approx (I said approx because Hexa does take a slightly longer distance than the Scorpio-N but not by a long margin) the same distance. On Hexa the bite of the brakes increase with a prolonged press of the brake pedal. The initial bite starts gently and there is little pedal feedback and hence gives the impression that it won't come to a halt anytime soon (add to that almost negligible nose dive which also doesn't aid the sensation of stopping)

So the chapter of Scorpio-N as an upgrade over the Hexa is closed for now. I might take a look at the new facelifted Safari just to close the loop. But otherwise, it shall be Hexa for the time being for another 3-4 years. For those who have faced different issues on Hexa, I went through those threads and thankfully I have not faced any such issues. Probably because my car has only run 40k kms until now. So I hope the wear and tear to be lesser than similarily aged Hexa with higher kms on the odometer. Might as well plonk an aftermarket Infotainment system that supports Android Auto / Apple Carplay to get at least 1 long term peeve with the car out of the way.

One learning has been - be shameless in taking multiple test drives. Many a things become obvious only after >1 test drive while choosing a car.

Last edited by TORQUE_AANJANEY : 11th March 2023 at 03:26.
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 14:28   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will objectively try to list the Pros and Cons of the Scorpio in the context of comparison against my Hexa.
If you do an objective point to point comparison with Hexa, nothing will be good enough. That’s the hard truth. Hexa, as long as everything works, is just all round wonderful. It is a very very difficult car to replace or to upgrade from.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 11th March 2023 at 14:32.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 06:36   #24

Quote:
Opinions Requested (especially from existing owners of the 2 cars I have shortlisted)
We have a 2021 Tata Safari at Home. My dad has already clocked 60k kms traveling to his office. And on weekends am usually the designated driver. So here's my brief view about it.

Pros:
1. Feels like a tank at high speeds. 120/140 cruising is a breeze and steering is just perfectly stable at those speeds
2. Pretty decent acceleration given its weight
3. Solid build quality. Have had no rattles etc.

Cons
1. The third row is useless for adults. But since you have a six year old, it should get the job done for another 5-6 years
2. Audio system is below average especially the speaker placements in the rear
3. Hydraulic steering being great at higher speeds has a bad side effect at low speeds. You literally get a mini arm workout in ghat sections
4. There is no step to climb in. Just check if your parents are comfortable in getting in and out. Might become a deal breaker

Overall a perfect mechanical package but electronically lacks a lot. Given that you are coming from Hexa, you shouldn't find a major issue. But those coming from Germans or Korean cars will find it as a major downgrade.
Old 15th March 2023, 15:17   #25
BHPian

A fellow Hexa owner here - I had started a similar thread with similar options explored a month or two ago. From my experience - XUV700/ScorpioN etc can't ever replace Hexa. Hexa is a superior vehicle. The only sensible option that I see here is Tucson - it impressed me, though it still isn't a replacement for Hexa.

I stopped my plans mainly because:
  • No vehicle < 50L or even 60L is able to live up to expectations set by Hexa.
  • There is no good car other than Tucson < 60L at present.
  • No deal breakers w.r.to my Hexa currently. I have mounted (with Blackstar magnetic mounts from Amazon) an Android Tablet and using for navigation/music etc.
  • Hycross was in my plans - after seeing it in person, I decided against it and cancelled booking.
  • Next 2 years might change the car industry quite a lot. Electric seat adjustment, boss mode, ventilated seats, Wireless Android Auto/Car Play etc are going to be available in almost all cars going forward. Diesel might still be around in few cars. So a couple of years might be worth the wait.
vinodvayyat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 16:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
But otherwise, it shall be Hexa for the time being for another 3-4 years. For those who have faced different issues on Hexa, I went through those threads and thankfully I have not faced any such issues. Probably because my car has only run 40k kms until now. So I hope the wear and tear to be lesser than similarily aged Hexa with higher kms on the odometer. Might as well plonk an aftermarket Infotainment system that supports Android Auto / Apple Carplay to get at least 1 long term peeve with the car out of the way.
Your decision to retain Hexa is a comforting one for me. I had recently bought used Dec 2018 manufactured, 24K km on Odometer Hexa XTA 7 seater as replacement of my Oct 2015 32k@odo Safari Storme Vx 4x4 which got totaled in an accident in April 2022. I had considered XUV7oo and ScorpioN, but none of these appealed to me as replacement of Storme (neither did the long waiting periods made them a real option). Even the new Harrier-Safari did not click, as seating was too low and visibility was not as good as Safari Storme. A test-drive in Hexa locked it as a proper replacement for Storme for me, and I found Hexa better than Storme in many aspects. After reading about your doubts about retaining Hexa post 5 years, I had questions on my decision to buy used Hexa, as I had paid close to 14L for it. But after your decision to retain Hexa for few more years, I am relieved. Moreover, my running is very low (5-6k kms a year) to spend 30L or more on a new car. I hope Hexa will serve me for next 5-6 years, something similar to your timelines for Hexa.
speed79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 17:12   #27
BHPian

I would suggest looking for the model which is more reliable and can give peace of mind. Have heard less horror stories of Mahindra then Tata hence would suggest Scorpio N.

However in terms of looks find Safari better but Scorpio is also decent looking from front. Lastly choose whatever is easier to maneuver in city and park.
Old 16th March 2023, 05:14   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
If you do an objective point to point comparison with Hexa, nothing will be good enough. That’s the hard truth. Hexa, as long as everything works, is just all round wonderful. It is a very very difficult car to replace or to upgrade from.
Aye, aye ! Learnt my lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwal_ View Post
We have a 2021 Tata Safari at Home. My dad has already clocked 60k kms traveling to his office. And on weekends am usually the designated driver. So here's my brief view about it.

Overall a perfect mechanical package but electronically lacks a lot. Given that you are coming from Hexa, you shouldn't find a major issue. But those coming from Germans or Korean cars will find it as a major downgrade.
In isolation Safari / Harrier are great machines. Despite the 5 star NCAP rating, a superior powertrain, highest in segment claimed torsional rigidity, etc. I don't see the XUV700 as a clear winner against the Range Rover Discovery Sport derived boys. And with the latest Dark Red edition, features and creature comforts that matter (which aren't gimmicks) are now almost toe to toe with XUV700 (excluding the ADAS functions - Adaptive Crusie Control & Lane Keep Assist and auto recording from 360 degree camera). Yes the engine on Harrier / Safari should have been better but the overall platform, looks, ride height, ground clearance, suspension setup and engine and gearbox tuning make the Harrier / Safari twins winners for me (of course opinions will be divided on this).

But if not in isolation, Tata has regressed after delivering Hexa. Mahindra on the other hand has made better products than it prev gens across the lineup like XUV700 being better than XUV500, Scorpio-N being better than Scorpio Classic and Thar latest gen better than previous gen model. For me Tata had a great capability vehicle in Storme, outdone by dated interiors and questionable dynamics. Aria was a refined Storme but again had quirks that won't appeal to most including the design. Hexa was the best marriage possible between's Storme's solidity and capability with Aria's comfort for all passengers, complimented further by many 1sts in the passenger car segment in which it played. Some examples that are yet to bested by Tata even in its latest lineup -
  1. FSDs for dampers - Even Safari and Harrier don't have it
  2. Front and Rear independent suspension with rear multilink solid axle setup - Compare that to the rear rudimentary twist blade in Harrier twins
  3. Soft touch materials everywhere including the door pads and window lines except for areas from govebox and below - Again not there in Harrier / Safari
  4. Retractable sun blinds for 2nd row passengers - Stopped since Hexa
  5. Adjustable lumbar support even for for 2nd row captain seats - Missing in Safari in 2nd row captain chairs
  6. 10 AC vents in the cabin with seperate blower control for 2nd and 3rd row passengers - Safari has 8 vents vs 10 on the Hexa

But the above aside, unless you have hands on experience of driving the Hexa, the Safari is a good purchase and likeable machine to keep. With its engine being 2.0L vs 2.2L in the Mahindra cars, the Safari might end up with some emmision benefits more tha the 2.2L Mahindra have for Scorpio-N, XUV700 and Thar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
A fellow Hexa owner here - I had started a similar thread with similar options explored a month or two ago. From my experience - XUV700/ScorpioN etc can't ever replace Hexa. Hexa is a superior vehicle.
I stopped my plans mainly because:
  • Next 2 years might change the car industry quite a lot. Electric seat adjustment, boss mode, ventilated seats, Wireless Android Auto/Car Play etc are going to be available in almost all cars going forward. Diesel might still be around in few cars. So a couple of years might be worth the wait.
Certainly agree with you. The car market padigram will remain volatile for the next 2 years and several things will be attempted. If not in the mood for risks, this is probably a period to sit out the change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
Your decision to retain Hexa is a comforting one for me. I had recently bought used Dec 2018 manufactured, 24K km on Odometer Hexa XTA 7 seater as replacement of my Oct 2015 32k@odo Safari Storme Vx 4x4. But after your decision to retain Hexa for few more years, I am relieved. Moreover, my running is very low (5-6k kms a year) to spend 30L or more on a new car. I hope Hexa will serve me for next 5-6 years, something similar to your timelines for Hexa.
Glad that my thread and replies from fellow BHPians makes you feel even more highly of the car you have purchased. In my opion its worth every single penny paid, so don't worry about buying it at a premium. Unless a govt order makes that 2.2L Varicore redundant, it should serve you well for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I would suggest looking for the model which is more reliable and can give peace of mind. Have heard less horror stories of Mahindra then Tata hence would suggest Scorpio N.
Thanks for the suggestion but the chapter of moving to Scorpio-N in its current avatar from the Hexa is over for me.
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 01:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
I hope Hexa will serve me for next 5-6 years, something similar to your timelines for Hexa.
Tiger,
As a fellow XTA 2018 owner with 82K+ Kms on the Odo, I can say with Conviction that your Beast will serve you almost double your expectation in terms of years and still have plenty more life in it to give the 'new kids on the block' a real run for their money!! Though it may no longer be permitted by law!

So please relax and Enjoy your vehicle!! The more you pamper it, the more it will Love you back! So much so, that pretty soon, the better half is gonna start grudging the love and attn you lavish on it!!

And man, It sure is built like a TANK (ask me as I should know having been a Tanker in the Army for better part of my life) and, it's built to Last!!

Rgds,
theZULU is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 00:44   #30
BHPian

I think you are going to do the same mistake I did. I was trying to fix which wasn’t even broken in anticipation that it might break. Sold my Ecosport Manual to get a Compass Auto. I’m very happy with the vehicle and love the sheer driving experience….but, sometimes at night after looking at my bank balance I honestly feel selling Ecosport was a mistake. I loved the car, it was in great shape. Ecosport didn’t have Android auto or Apple car play, the ride was a bit bumpy at low speeds and headlamps were very dull, but all this was fixable at a fraction of cost for which I got compass for. So think before you dive. Rate of interest ate high, car prices are high and yet there are very less options that actually satisfy us.

Last edited by knightfurry : 18th March 2023 at 00:56.
knightfurry is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks