Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2023, 04:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Help choose a small SUV in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Hi, did you buy one or shortlist anything yet? Could you please give us an update?

Hi Gannu,

I ended up getting a Honda CRV Sport, despite it being ridiculously overpriced. Mainly for the space, gas mileage and the resale value along with the perceived reliability. It probably has the least number of features and the least interesting interiors. But the seats are comfortable. The ride is supple. The performance is surprisingly adequate for regular driving, and the steering rightly weighted for the speed. The mileage is second only to the wheezing Toyota RAV4. The Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Assist are pretty good but the reversing camera resolution is awful.

I really liked the Mazda CX-5 but found the rear passenger space to be less than the CRV. Also, the CX 5 feels more like a large hatchback than a SUV, which is a positive if one is more focused on the sporty driving dynamics. In that case, getting the Turbo option makes sense. Mileage takes a hit but the performance matches the steering feedback and suspension - super enjoyable driving experience.

I would assume the CX 90 would address the space issues and deliver on the performance. But since the hybrid tech from Mazda is relatively new, I'm not certain about the reliability aspect.

My friend has a Tucson Hybrid that is an excellent package. The looks grew on me much sooner than I expected. Interiors are fantastic. Very comfortable seats and bright cabin with the white leather seats and huge panoramic sunroof. Strong engine performance and handling. And the feature list pretty much leaves the competition in the dust. One issue I had with it was the full touch panel - AC, volume, heated seats, everything is touch based and I prefer buttons for the basic functions. Kia Sportage offers buttons with rest being mostly the same.

Kia and Hyundai offer compelling products. But the brand perception is poor here and the resale values are wayyy lower than the Japanese products despite the good warranty coverage options.

Based on my other friends' personal experiences, I did not consider Nissan Rogue or Mitsubishi Outlander, even though they offer good bang for buck.

At the end of the day, I'd say it depends on the use case and how long your friend plans to keep the vehicle. If resale is not an issue, take a strong look at Hyundai Tucson Hybrid, Kia Sportage or Kia Sorrento.

If feature list length is not a priority, have a look at the Toyota Highlander Hybrid.

If performance and pleasure of driving matters, get a Mazda, any Mazda that suits their space requirements, but with the Turbo engine. And they'll be happy for a long time, despite the lighter wallet after every visit to the gas station.

Sadly, all Hybrid vehicles have a wait period of like 8-11 months waiting period, with Toyota having the longest wait times. Gas versions should be available in 2-4 months.

Also, with some incentives of upto 5k being offered for full electric or PHEV vehicles, they should look at those options as well. Unsure about the wait periods for these though.

Stay away from Equinox. Probably the worst car in the list based on feedback from my friends here.

Other options to consider:
Subaru Forester or Outback. The suspension is amazing. Soaks up bad roads. Decent engines. Lots of space. Kind of reliable in most cases but sometimes can have expensive repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Help choose a small SUV in Canada-pxl_20230429_061832644.jpg  

FloatingCanvas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 06:43   #17

Re: Help choose a small SUV in Canada

Guess I was late in posting this considering I only joined the forum a few days ago! :P

Hi,

I can vouch for the CX5 myself. I bought mine new around 8 months ago and haven't been disappointed with it. Mine is a 2.5NA AWD. The range of models here in New Zealand so won't be able to tell you which it is exactly in terms of the Canadian options.

I did try for the RAV4 Hybrid, just because of the proven hybrid tech, but sadly the wait times on the RAV4 in NZ were over 14 months last time I checked. My other option was the Subaru Forester, but somehow it felt really claustrophobic inside, so that was out. I also test drove the new gen Outlander, but not a fan of the CVT gearbox and the overall feel inside was not too premium.

The wife was hell bent on the CX5, so test drove that and it felt amazing. Good punchy 2.5 engine and the 6 speed auto gearbox is smooth. The cabin felt really sophisticated, so bit the bullet and bought it. Over the last 8 months I moved my house twice, from Auckland to Wellington and back and the car was just amazing. Did pack a whole lot in it, and with the seats folded, it gave ample of room (luckily it's just my wife and I for now). I used to do 120kms daily in Wellington (all on the highway) and the CX5 was a breeze with an FE of about 15km/l. The semi autonomous driving made it easier, even in traffic it was good.

Did do a few trips of over 1200kms and they were effortless. I did realise that the engine struggles a bit if you want to pull out and make a pass (has to drop 2 gears or could be me just giving it too much juice), but that was it. The AWD gives a good boost out of the corner too.

The infotainment system does lack touch inputs, but that never bothered me. In all honesty, I found the rotary dial to be more convenient, but that's just a personal opinion. One problem that I found was the key fob. The button placements on the key are so annoying that I keep opening the trunk accidentally, have had a few heart in mouth moments in tight spaces.

But overall I have been very satisfied with the car.

Cheers,
Eshaan
Attached Thumbnails
Help choose a small SUV in Canada-img7810.jpg  

Last edited by EshaanLele : 23rd May 2023 at 07:11.
EshaanLele is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks