Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2023, 16:05   #1

Which 7-seater for 7000 km of annual running | Any good reasons to NOT buy an Ertiga?

Yes, you read that right.

With a growing family (2 adults, 2kids, occasionally pets + grandparents), the need to move to a larger vehicle has become quite apparent. The plan is to replace the 12 year old Punto (as flawless as the day I bought it) with an appropriate larger vehicle. The primary usecase for a larger vehicle is 2 adults + 2 kids + lots of luggage, so the choice is between a large sedan or a 7 seater. Given that a 7 seater can be more versatile than a sedan (extra space can be used for luggage, pets or people), I am leaning towards a 7 seater. Did not consider 5 seater SUVs as sedans seem to offer a lot more boot space and better ride quality, at a lower cost and waiting period.

Now here in comes the dilemma. I tend to buy vehicles and keep them forever. Also, all of my earlier purchases were primarily based on heart (Std 350, Duke 390, Punto, Tata Nano (extremely practical second car for city)), and I did not really mind the frequent visits to service centers as my usage justified the effort.

However my driving and riding has reduced significantly in the last 5 years, and is now primarily limited from home to office and the occasional 2-3 long drives with family (5-7K per year). This also means no more driving above certain speed limits, and no going off on impromptu trails to explore during the long drives. Given the low anticipated usage, I want to keep visits to the service center strictly minimum. We also have an automatic Baleno which will be used for most of the city runs wherever possible.

Wife also prefers something that she can drive around, so the next car will have to be an automatic. Given all the above factors and after going through numerous threads, here is what the elimination matrix looks like:

1. All Tatas - dropped due to niggles and complaints which always accompany their cars.
2. Hyundai - Did not like the looks of the Alcazar, luggage capacity also seems limited.
3. XUV700 - Liked the engine, space and the 5 star rating, but the ownership threads seems to suggest that visits to service centers will not be infrequent.
4. Kia Carens - Low safety rating (even with 6 airbags), can see issues cropping up across various ownership threads.
5. MG - Not sure how they will hold up for 10+ years.
6. Toyota Hycross - This one seems to be a safe choice, other than the huge size (manageable), significant premium for what's on offer (which I hate given the low usage) and 2 airbags only. Variant which makes most sense to me is GX given my low usage.
7. Maruti Ertiga - I have never been a fan of Maruti's build quality, or bland engines, or total disregard for safety; but right now given the low usage and focus on reliability and ease of driving, Ertiga seems like a pretty decent option with the lowest TCO. The engine is meh, but should be able to manage with the 100-110 range that we drive in and the occasional hill run. With it's previous generation tech, the chances of anything failing in next 10 years are low. Safety seems to be the weakest link, but Ertiga has scored a decent 3 star with 2 airbags and I can put off my purchase till later half of the year when 6 airbags are expected to be mandatory.

In a nutshell, the mind says Ertiga with 6 airbags would be the best choice for the anticipated usage. What am I not considering (other than the fact that the 6 airbag rule may again get pushed out)? What other options would you recommend that I consider seriously? I intend to buy the vehicle in 2023 and have already paid the booking amount for the Hycross as well as the Ertiga.
Manudon is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 19:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Which 7-seater for 7000 km of annual running | Any good reasons to NOT buy an Ertiga?

I will not buy the Ertiga just because of the safety. 6 airbags or 8, it's an MSIL. Just a wild thought, why don't you look at a used Marazzo. The safety is good (4 star), has an amazing engine, has loads of space and is pretty reliable. The only downside would be the resale value. But I wouldn't worry about it if you plan to use it for at least 5 years. All other options like 7OO is a little expensive and will take at least a year or two to sort out all the niggles. The Carens is pretty poor on safety, I would not look at it. While TATAs are good, I don't see any good 7 seater. Practical option would also be a used Innova which will be the best choice if you have the budget. Try out Spinny and other companies, you might find a good Marazzo (only if you like it though!).

Last edited by Raghu M : 11th March 2023 at 19:33.
Raghu M is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 19:55   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Which 7-seater for 7000 km of annual running | Any good reasons to NOT buy an Ertiga?

I think the XL6 Ertiga is an excellent VFM product which is perfect for the purpose.
shankar.balan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 20:38   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
I will not buy the Ertiga just because of the safety. 6 airbags or 8, it's an MSIL. Just a wild thought, why don't you look at a used Marazzo.
His preference is an automatic and Marazzo doesn't have an automatic. Better than Marazzo would be an Innova Crysta. I know of someone who did buy a second hand Innova Crysta automatic in Gurgaon exchanging his niggle prone Hexa. And he is enjoying it.

Looking at his needs, Ertiga fits the bill.

Since HyCross is also booked, may take a call as per availability.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 11th March 2023 at 20:39.
BoneCollector is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 21:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manudon View Post
7. Maruti Ertiga - I have never been a fan of Maruti's build quality, or bland engines, or total disregard for safety;
One of the rare Indian Buyers who wants a safe car and not just "Kitna deti hai"!

Considering your requirements, according to me the Hycross fits the bill. If you are open to used cars, do also check out a Used XUV500 AT (forgive me if I missed a detail in your post where you mentioned about avoiding cars like this)

Inspite of receiving a 3 star rating, the build of the Ertiga is not great. We have one in our family circle and there are evident signs of cost cutting, also adding that the metal quality feels flimsy. I do not mean to offend any owners of the Ertiga, It is a spacious and comfortable car but this is just my personal view
arnav17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 08:25   #6
BHPian

Depending on usage, Renault Triber is a compact 7-seater, though boot space will be absymal with all seats up, and power is just sufficient. Not an enthusiast's car by any means though
Old 12th March 2023, 08:48   #7
BHPian

Our Ertiga Petrol is in its 9th year of usage with ODO somewhere around 60,XXX kilometres.

There is only 1 minor rattle from the overhead rear AC area which the service centre despite opening the rear AC compartment haven't been able to get rid of. Other than this, the car is absolutely trouble free and seen all kinds of usage that a 2WD vehicle can see.

The only sore point of the ownership is tiredness on long drives as the car is neither "that" comfy nor powerful. Plus, the NVH is not good especially after 80kmph. (Although, Conti UC6 tyres did make a difference*)
So, as a sole driver over long distances, my body used to get tired everytime.

In conclusion,

IF you have strict budget, go with a new XL6 automatic. ( i find Ertiga's AC lacking a lot in hot weather )

IF you are open to used cars, look for an used Innova Crysta if you live outside NCR.
Unless you're in a hurry, you will be able to find pretty good Innova Crysta examples in due time.

IF you want a trouble free and reliable car to own for a long time and kids don't mind the lack of features, go with a new Innova Crysta. Your wife might have some trouble driving it but i believe it's manageable.

Best of luck!
Doonite is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 08:53   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Coming from Punto, you will find XL6 extremely tinny and underwhelming. Also, the safety concerns you raise regarding Carens, they are equally applicable to XL6, if not more.

If you plan on occasionally using the third row, you can discount XUV700, Scorpio and Hector Plus, all of them have terrible third rows.

Alcazar is a very good choice. It has the unique ability to accommodate 6 adults over short trips in decent comfort, with some cooperation between the second and third rows. It has a much bigger boot with third row up than the bigger cars from Tata, Mahindra and MG, and can actually accommodate weekend luggage.

Carens is essentially the same car, with a more comfortable third row and a less premium cabin. Do give both cars a hard look.

Otherwise, by elimination, you are left with the HyCross GX. Now there is nothing great about this car apart from space, utility and reliability. It will last you long without trouble, that’s it. Compared to others, it feels cheap inside out, is badly under-equipped and is not going be anywhere near as involving to drive. Also, taxi connotations are going to crop up sooner or later.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 09:14   #9
KPR
BANNED

Replacing a Punto is the difficult part here. So chosing a 7 seater in place of Punto will atleast keep your mind satisfied that there some VFM in the new car. My choice will be XL6. I see XL6 more suitable than Ertiga. Enjoy the captain seats for the next 10 years of ownership. MS is definitely there at the top for trouble-free ownership.
Old 12th March 2023, 10:02   #10
BHPian

1. All Tatas - Out
2. Hyundai – Out
3. XUV700 - Keep
4. Kia Carens - Out
5. MG - Out
6. Toyota Hycross - Best Option
7. Maruti Ertiga - Most Cost Effective Option

In a nutshell the above is your narrowed down list.

Except the Hycross and Eritga no other car can give you a proper 6/7 seater.
Eritga at half the price of the Toyota will do 80% of the same job.
Now since you will be going for the Automatic, the Ertiga is not really the best performer and you will have to learn to get its best out of it on the highway (you might wanna retain the Punto as a second car to compensate the Eritga's engine performance)

I have kept the XUV700, because only the troubled cars get written about, the well performing cars don't get too much traction online, so many well performing XUV700's may not be given its due social media presence, give it another thought.
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 10:26   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

XL6, like Shankar says.

2 years back a friend wanted to get the Ertiga. Suggested the XL6 instead, and he is happy guy now. More out station trips + easy driving in city due to the AT gearbox. And more features than the Ertiga.

Wont comment on other cars you have listed - either for or against. Just my 2p on the your first choice.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 15:30   #12

I am a second time buyer of Ertiga. I used 1st generation Ertiga for almost 9 years. In 2022 I looked at replacing my diesel Ertiga with 2022 model Ertiga having 6AT gearbox. Some of the missing features I experienced in 1st generation Ertiga is resolved in newer models. I am some one who believes safety is not same as having 6 air bags ! Even today Ertiga is in demand resulting in long wait time and I got very good resale value even after using the car for 9+ years. There were no major repairs of my previous Ertiga other than yearly standard maintenance.

My new Ertiga 2022 6AT is really good to drive. With top end trim ZXi+ 6AT (with 4 air bags), I get all essential features, lot of flexibility in space, not too big to drive on small roads. Only 1st service is done now but on Highway, I get 20Km/L using cruise control. After driving 1st generation Ertiga, I started looking for a car with similar features and price but ended up buying another Ertiga only ! Even XL6 did not satisfy my need as middle row can not be folded completely !
RSMM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 15:57   #13
BHPian

Having driven the Ertiga for 10 years and now enjoying the Carens for last 6 months, I can share some insights from my personal experiences.

Ertiga is a no non-sense VFM car which being a Maruti should give you a fuss free ownership for a long period. In my ownership of 10 years, there were no major issues faced in the Ertiga.

XL6 will also provide you a similar experience in a more plush and comfortable way.

But I will insist you to have a look at Kia Carens before striking it out from your list. The features it offers and the quality of interiors are superior to the Maruti twins. The space, the fit & finish and the engine options it offers are excellent. You must definitely visit the Kia showroom once.

Hycross for me is in a segment above. If budget permits, you can go for it since you intend to keep if for longer duration.
Knightrider is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 19:41   #14
BHPian

No car is a complete car. You have to ask yourself whether you want to live with a niggle prone but high on safety Tata/Mahindra or reliable but low on safety Kia/Maruti. Also keep in mind that technically Ertiga/Carens/XL6 are MPVs while Safari/XUV700 are SUVs making the latter more appealing to heart (at least for me).

In short, this is what I would do being put in your situation. Ertiga/Carens- Would be rejected because of MPV looks, they are good till 15-16 lacs, but if I can go upto 20-22, I would pick an SUV for being more desirable.

XUV700- Great car but would be rejected because of long waiting period, waiting for a car for more than 1 year just doesn’t make sense to me.

Safari- Would be my top pick. It’s safe, most of the early niggles have been ironed out and is available easily.

Alcazar- Would be my second pick. Reliable, both petrol and diesel options available with AT, now comes with 6 airbags as standard.

Hector Plus- Could consider it as the third option. Because I have heard that it’s quite reliable and I expect it to be safe too. Only downside is low FE of petrol CVT.

Last edited by GTO : 13th March 2023 at 15:02. Reason: Typo
Aakash118 is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 14th March 2023, 08:55   #15
BHPian

Re: Which 7-seater for 7000 km of annual running | Any good reasons to NOT buy an Ertiga?

Ironic how for a country like ours that needs big comfy 7seater cars that are reasonably priced and has enough safety rating and long term quality, the only "real" option is a Rs.20lakh+ Crysta.
mpp1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks