Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2023, 14:22   #31
BHPian

Re: Which 7-seater for 7000 km of annual running | Any good reasons to NOT buy an Ertiga?

According to me you're running is really low and fuel costs will not be that much even if you go for gas guzzling giants.

I think everything from the Maruti-Suzuki stable is quite common and boring. If you get a Ertiga/XL6 it will be just another car on road. They will be reliable and do their jobs quite nicely but they will just be another common car on the road. You wont feel exhilarated to drive them.

I would recommend the XUV 700 as it is a car which actually stands out. The drivability is really good and you cant feel its size in traffic because of the super light steering. It is a really great highway muncher , you wont feel any fatigue even after long roadtrip's. We have done many roadtrip's with our XUV 700 with our pet in the back and Everytime we had an amazing experience , my dog had Ample of space to sit around in the 3rd row folded down and the AC vents there made him really comfortable. We constantly got the FE of 11 KM/L+ on roadtrip's and in the hills the panoramic sunroof is the best feature.

Also , all brands have niggles ( E.g. - Even a 30 Lakh rupees Jeep has issues which can give anyone nightmares) , but I will say that Mahindra has done a really good job with the XUV and their niggles are really small. We have never had a major niggle with it ( Only once we got a Black Screen ) so I can vouch for its reliability.

The XUV wont just be another car on the road and you will find driving those 7000KM more joyful than in an Suzuki.

No car is bad , No car is good. Every car has a different purpose . I like the Suzuki stable for its simplicity and fuss free ownership , But once in a while we should go for a more exhilarating path so that life can be a little more joyful and different.
Hawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 15:14   #32
BHPian

Re: Which 7-seater for 7000 km of annual running | Any good reasons to NOT buy an Ertiga?

You have kept Tata out but if you can investigate for a good ASC before hand then Safari is the best choice for you. Punto is a drivers car and Ertiga/xL6 are not. You will repent every moment you drive a non drivers car if you don’t factor in driving experience as part of your buying process.
You bought Punto for a reason earlier so I realise the driver in you and would stop from going to a non Drivers car.
Old 14th March 2023, 17:40   #33
BHPian

As your running is really low, a petrol xuv700 will fit you right. Its safe, has loads of space, looks good, is exellent in the terms of features and powerful too. Since your running is low, I don't think mileage is a problem.

Coming to the third row, it can easily accomidate people till the height of 5'5. Only thing which might trouble you is the waiting period of the car. If you see the xuv's forum on team bhp too, the problems in the xuv's have drastically reduced.

Overall, I think Xuv is an all rounder and when one buy's a family car, safety should be the top most priority.
Old 14th March 2023, 18:02   #34
BHPian

I am an XL6 owner since the last 15 months . The negatives of the XL6 and the ertiga are mainly due to what one may expect from the car after driving a smaller car or a more powerful car.

Most of the owners who upgrade to an ertiga or XL6 may come from a smaller Ford Figo or Indica Vista or other maruti vehicles. The ertiga /XL6 then feels bulky and hard to handle . The fuel economy suddenly seems lower than the Diesel engined figo/vista/manza famous 20+kmpl numbers.

But one has to realise what the ertiga/XL6 offers and then appreciate it (V-A-L-U-E)

These are the most economical people movers in the market with a certain degree of features. The lack of diesel engine IS a big pain point but nothing really beats it for what these cars offer today.

Dont buy the ertiga if you miss the torque pull of the diesel engine. You will regret your purchase. The instant turbo-diesel acceleration is missed. Seeing 25+kmpl fuel economy numbers in the display is missed, especially when one drives like a saint and gets only 18+ in the petrol vehicles.

What you will appreciate is the ease of maintenance. I have spent less than INR2500.00 for the three services so far. My car has run 19k kms and my 4th service may cost 4K or thereabouts. All of my previous diesel cars required much more than this amount for their services till 20k kms. Especially with stuff breaking midway.

I easily carry 6 adults plus their stuff. I always use all three rows of seats. I have done multiple highway trips with all rows filled with adults plus two full size suitcases or mix n match which none of our previous cars (nexon + manza + fluence ) could do. OR 4 seats filled with peeps and 6 suitcases .
The question of safety is always there but its a question each one answers differently based on what their abilities are. Ultimately protection and life are from God above.

In fact, I have recently listed my car in the teambhp classifieds but cannot imagine this being sold off. The ertiga/XL6 is not a car one can ever buy back with the same budget . All of the arguments about looks, features, tinny build etc takes a second seat once you see how excellent it serves your family.
PS: I come from a family of 6 Tatas since 2005 .
TorqMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 18:25   #35
BHPian

I do own 2019 Ertiga, which has done 20K kms so far. It is a comfortable car and easy on maintenance. Space management and ride quality also are good. However when I bought Ertiga, Marazzo was the only other option. Marazzo was slightly larger and also my mom (who is a senior citizen), found the climb to the rear seat is a bit difficult, compared to Ertiga (which was slightly lower, and similar to my earlier car - wagonR). So far I am happy with my purchase. However if I am looking for a car today, I would seriously consider Carens also as I read that it has more spacious/comfortable 3rd row seats, and better interior quality. And just need to understand that Ertiga is more utilitarian and not sporty, and the BS4 models had short 5th gearing, which means if you are doing 100+kmph, engine may be spinning at 3000 rpm. It was not an issue for me, as here in Kerala, we rarely cross 90+ due to traffic conditions even on highways. Also Ertiga is not as tinny as rest of the Marutis but not as good/strong as other Asian cars like Hyundai or Honda. So please do a test drive of Carens with your family members, who will be the regular passengers and then decide. Also when I bought Ertiga the ex-showroom was 9.49L for zxi+, however the price has significantly gone up now. So it may not be as VFM as it was before the facelift.

Last edited by sreejithkk : 14th March 2023 at 18:27.
Old 14th March 2023, 18:25   #36
BHPian

Very less third row space
Old 14th March 2023, 18:39   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manudon View Post
I intend to buy the vehicle in 2023 and have already paid the booking amount for the Hycross as well as the Ertiga.
In my opinion Toyota Hycross would be a better choice. Since Toyota is know for its reliability. Six air bags doesn’t make any sense if the build quality is not good. One more thing is the driving experience, in this regard Toyota Hycross would be a better option as well. Have you taken test drive of either of the vehicle?
Old 14th March 2023, 23:12   #38

Thank you for the wonderful perspectives, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
.. I think the XL6 Ertiga is an excellent VFM product which is perfect for the purpose.
.. IF you have strict budget, go with a new XL6 automatic. ( i find Ertiga's AC lacking a lot in hot weather )
.. My choice will be XL6. I see XL6 more suitable than Ertiga
Given that XL6 is based on the same platform as Ertiga, would it be fair to assume that it will be equally (un)safe? I actually prefer bench seat to captain seats given that it will be more versatile.

Quote:
But I will insist you to have a look at Kia Carens before striking it out from your list
.. Carens is actually the best car for you.
.. I would recommend you give a serious 2nd look at Carens.
I really did consider the Kia Carens seriously, test drove it and almost finalized it. Liked the petrol engine a lot more than the diesel engine. However, the following things on deeper research put me off:
  1. Reviews about rattles and noises developing in a few months old cars, plastic fading.
  2. Hill hold delay issue which marred the whole experience when driving up an incline. Last I saw Kia had come up with an update but the issue was only partially solved.
  3. DCT gearbox, which can be infamously unreliable as 90% of the driving time spent will be in the Bangalore traffic.
  4. The three star rating, even with 6 airbags.
While it offers an unbeatable value for money, simply did not feel confident that the vehicle will last for 10-15 years that lazy me will want to keep it for.

Quote:
I would suggest a good condition pre owned Honda BRV CVT would do the job.
.. A used Honda BRV CVT could be a good compromise for you
..looking at that requirements & that list, the BR-V might be a very good option to try out
Sounds like an option worth exploring more. One risk that I see is that it is already 3 years since it was discontinued, so finding a good 2020 model that will last for another 10 years may be a bit difficult. On the flip side, the loss will be minimal if I decide to resell and upgrade. Also, seems that Honda may be launching a new 7 seater soon in India?

Quote:
If you're able to manage with 5 seats, I would strongly suggest looking at the Slavia/Virtus twins.
Sedans definitely seem a lot more value for money, the only reason I am not committing is due to the issue in accommodating a pet easily on long trips with family.

I am still keeping my mind open about the XUV700, and hoping that all the kinks are ironed out in the newer models. The waiting period is a different story all together, though.

Hycross is still a strong contender, if they come out with a 6 airbag version without an obnoxious bump in the already substantial premium being charged. Used Innova Crystas is definitely an option, but they seem to be listing at their selling price from what I could find at a cursory glance.

Will also give the Hector Plus a serious look, yet to test drive it.

Also great to see a lot of support for the Ertiga - I am genuinely hoping that they come up with something which is more safety oriented (and a bit more of power, while I am at it )

I have come to the realisation that safety and comfort is my foremost consideration when buying this vehicle as it will be the primary mover for all the family highway runs for the next 10 years (or more). In terms of speed, I am good as long as I am able to do 100-120 on highways. Planned overtaking is something that I have anyways perfected having ridden a Std350 for over a lakh kms
Old 15th March 2023, 02:04   #39
BHPian

I think people let their bias affect their suggestions a lot even when the OP has mentioned all the requirements clearly.

I understand that he wants to keep the car for atleast 10+ years and reliability is paramount. The following cars immediately get rejected:

1. Kia Carens

We have absolutely no evidence on how a Carens will perform over a long term ownership period. An year into ownership or a couple of months don't matter.

2. Tata Safari

We literally have a problem thread every other week about the Harrier/Safari duo. It's luck of the draw with buying a Tata.

3. Mahindra Marazzo

Having experienced Maruti struggle to source parts for an insanely popular seller like Ertiga, i would not go near a discontinued Marazzo.

4. Honda BR-V

A discontinued car with poor sales + i don't trust Honda's commitment to India until the "new" cars actually get launched. Several knowledgeable members have already provided their insights on relevant Honda thread. Also, ASEAN ratings are irrelevant for our market.

5. Mahindra XUV700

I love the car but having seen two XUV500's perform poorly over a decade of ownership, i would say it's a personal call.

6. MG Hector Plus

Again, i love the car but long term reliability in our market is unknown.

Peace
Old 15th March 2023, 04:58   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manudon View Post

Given that XL6 is based on the same platform as Ertiga, would it be fair to assume that it will be equally (un)safe? I actually prefer bench seat to captain seats given that it will be more versatile.
XL6 is structurally as safe or as unsafe as Ertiga, or any other car on the Heartech platform.

Quote:
I really did consider the Kia Carens seriously, test drove it and almost finalized it. Liked the petrol engine a lot more than the diesel engine. However, the following things on deeper research put me off:
  1. Reviews about rattles and noises developing in a few months old cars, plastic fading.
  2. Hill hold delay issue which marred the whole experience when driving up an incline. Last I saw Kia had come up with an update but the issue was only partially solved.
  3. DCT gearbox, which can be infamously unreliable as 90% of the driving time spent will be in the Bangalore traffic.
  4. The three star rating, even with 6 airbags.
While it offers an unbeatable value for money, simply did not feel confident that the vehicle will last for 10-15 years that lazy me will want to keep it for.
Marutis are given rattle boxes over time, Carens is relatively better put together.

If you running will be more in city traffic, you should go for the diesel Carens with the torque converter. Better drivability, better reliability, better fuel efficiency and no complications with ethanol blending. You are not based in Delhi NCR, so this is a valid option. Pls note that the 1.4 turbo petrol is about to be discontinued.

As for safety rating, Carens is as good as or as bad as Ertiga/XL6. Honestly, if you are so concerned about the safety aspect, you should not even be considering any of these cars. You should limit your options to XUV700, Scorpio and maybe HyCross and Hector. Only the Mahindras are proven crash tested safe, among the options being considered.

Quote:
Sounds like an option worth exploring more.
Don’t go for an old and discontinued car that was dated even at launch, and is positively obsolete today. It is not E20 material compliant anyway.

Quote:
Sedans definitely seem a lot more value for money, the only reason I am not committing is due to the issue in accommodating a pet easily on long trips with family.
TeamBHP ownership reports point to the MG Hector being the most pet friendly. The car of choice to accommodate canines.

Quote:
I am still keeping my mind open about the XUV700, and hoping that all the kinks are ironed out in the newer models. The waiting period is a different story all together, though.
Kinks are fairly sorted. Plastic quality is average, the car will rattle much like Carens over time. But it is a solid car structurally and mechanically.

Quote:
Hycross is still a strong contender, if they come out with a 6 airbag version without an obnoxious bump in the already substantial premium being charged. Used Innova Crystas is definitely an option, but they seem to be listing at their selling price from what I could find at a cursory glance.
They’ve already launched the VX(o) trim with 6 airbags. Six airbags are anyway becoming mandatory from 1st October 2023. So, even if you book today, you are assured of getting that. Prices though, are only going northwards.

I don’t see the Crysta holding this kind of residual values in another year’s time, once HyCross goes mainstream. It will pretty much become a taxi only car.

Quote:
I have come to the realisation that safety and comfort is my foremost consideration when buying this vehicle as it will be the primary mover for all the family highway runs for the next 10 years (or more). In terms of speed, I am good as long as I am able to do 100-120 on highways. Planned overtaking is something that I have anyways perfected having ridden a Std350 for over a lakh kms
Again, everything points towards the MG Hector.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 15th March 2023 at 05:04.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 17:26   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
IF you have strict budget, go with a new XL6 automatic. ( i find Ertiga's AC lacking a lot in hot weather )
Do they have different cooling systems? Unlikely in my view.
Old 15th March 2023, 17:41   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Do they have different cooling systems? Unlikely in my view.
I don't know about the differences in cooling systems if there are any, but XL6 has UV-cut tinted glass and ventilated seats which make a BIG difference in the cooling of interiors.

I hope this clarifies the point i was trying to make.
Old 16th March 2023, 19:07   #43

Here's how I am thinking about this for now:

Requirement:
1. Low running (5-7K per year). 80% in city and 20% on highways.
2. Spacious enough for 4 + luggage OR pet (which rules out Sedans, unless I am willing to compromise on the pet bit)
3. Safety first - it does not make sense to compromise on this factor at any cost.
4. Reliability is important to avoid frequent runs to service centers.
5. Willing to compromise on power as sadly I will be unlikely to make full use of a powerful engine. As long as I can cruise around 100-120, I am covered.

With these criteria, focus will be on minimising the TCO. Not considering used vehicles due to the looming E20 norms and nothing manufactured earlier is designed to handle them. I am more likely to buy a petrol vehicle given the low running.

Final contenders:
1. Toyota Hycross GX - will wait for 6 airbag version, and how much they end up hiking their premium by.
2. XUV700 - Research more to understand how the current batch of cars is, book one. Other than the niggles and waiting period, this one feels the most exciting.
3. MG Hector - Quickly shaping up to be the dark horse who may well win the race!

If I relax my criteria of safety, Kia Carens and Ertiga both shape up as good options.
Old 16th March 2023, 20:42   #44
BHPian

I don't seem to understand why the Scorpio-N isn't in your short list. AFAIK, the turbopetrol Z4 is just under 17L OTR and I think is worth considering, it has a good engine making 200hp, and 7 seats so that you can have more people in it. I haven't done a lot of research on it regarding comfort et al, but I think you are getting a lot of car for 17L if you go for it, so worth shortlisting IMO.
Old 16th March 2023, 23:07   #45
BHPian

I am going to be a owner of XL6 for the second time mostly by this month. My first XL6 - Alpha Automatic had done 6K kms and I was in love with the vehicle. However due to a job change I had to surrender the vehicle. Now I am purchasing the uplifted version of XL6 (Alpha plus Automatic), I do read from many of you that the Engine no more has the same performance like the first version. I read it several times and compromised on it since the drives I felt in my first 6k were enjoyable. I also did a test drive of the new XL6.

I too wished to have a bench seat and tried purchasing the small middle seat earlier, practically I nor my daughters liked it and don't plan to buy one again. I gave the car with all accessories in it.

What I read from most or almost from all the owners of Ertiga and XL6 is that, there are more pros then the cons.

The vehicle that I wished to have or would suggest is the new Toyota Innova Hycross Petrol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks