Other (please specify in your post) 6 2.68%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2023, 19:01   #16
BHPian

Re: MG Hector Facelift vs Tata Harrier vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
• No Diesel AT (Creta, Seltos, XUV500, Hexa offer this combination, which we love)

Review Link
Hope we revise this old point as it is no longer relevant in terms of current models available.

On the topic, Hector definitely has the bling and space which many Indian families look for. My current S-Cross is 4 years old, few more years down the line, a pre-worshipped Hector diesel will definitely be something that I would be looking forward to own.
vshankarhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 19:13   #17
BHPian

Since there is no option of Tata Safari, hence voted 'Others'. This segment has really got some good contenders and I agree with GTO, his comments earlier about Hector had made me seriously consider it earlier. But the lack of diesel automatic made me look the other way.

If one considers diesel automatic only, options are quite limited - Tata Harrier/Safari, Mahindra XUV700, Hyundai Creta/Alcazar and Kia Seltos. For the practicality, Hyundai Alcazar was very high on my consideration list but one drive in the Tata Safari and its heavy feel tilted my decision towards it. Others might not like the old school feel of the car though. I was also getting Mahindra XUV700 at the same time and though the power was good with all other gizmos, the ride quality wasn't the same as Safari. Also, after driving the Safari now, I felt XUV700 steering to be quite lifeless and very light (might be a good trait for others). Hector was all the car I needed but lack of diesel Auto swayed me away, the others were rejected due to either it being too common or quality not being upto the mark. I was upgrading from a Ford Ecosport S and ride quality was paramount for me.

IMO, all the options here may be good for some while not for others. It all boils down to your requirement. All cars are awesome in their own ways but no one size fits all. People bash Tata for poor service but in last 6 months and 18,000 kms, I have faced zilch issues on it and the car is outperforming my every expectation.
tp_dominator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 19:29   #18
BHPian

Difficult to choose from the given list if "I go to market for a new car now". Hence voted for others.

Rejection reasons:
Harrier - Due to size, interior not up to the mark, questionable tata service at times
Hector - Brand not in my choice
XUV - Size, wait period, unusable 3rd row.
Seltos/Creta - Poor GNCAP rating
Jeep Compass - Average service/reliability, not bang for the buck
Kushak/Taigun - Bad reliability and service record of the brand, specially when I am having only one car
Hyrider/Grand Vitara - Did not find the drive engaging

As usual given those benefit of doubt, which are not GNCAP rated yet.

Others, if I am looking in this budget of around 30L (XUV 700); I would wait a bit or take a longer loan tenure and go for Hyundai Tucson.

Last edited by dipdawiz : 23rd March 2023 at 19:31.
dipdawiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 08:25   #19
BHPian

Voted for Hector. I own 2021 diesel Sharp and given my experience with car and after sales I would buy even Hector FL petrol automatic given the quality, comfort , space, niggle free ownership & excellent after sales MG offers. It’s excellent cruiser even in manual diesel mode.

ADAS level 2 is boon for driving on new expressways for long distances. And it can be assumed to be niggle free in case of MG given the overall quality of car.

I don’t have experience with any products of Mahindra so can’t comment on XUV700.

Harrier & Safari, I would say still developing products given feedback from Industry friends and after sales is hit or miss.
Old 24th March 2023, 08:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

I feel the thread is comparing apples with oranges. It would have been better if the comparison is amongst the vehicles with a particular fuel type - Petrol or diesel or hybrid. Also include the pricing part and the variant choices available with each contender. Mashing all of them in one single blender will give you a cocktail rather than a juice.

I had driven the Hector, XUV and Harrier during my buying and found the Harrier to be a balanced product when it comes to road presence, build quality, features, handling, FE and many more factors. Yes Tata's service could be a hit or miss so is the case with other workshops. I was wowed by XUV but the delivery periods of 1 to 1.5 yrs literally put me off. Having come from the Fiat family, the pain of owning a Jeep was the last thing on my mind along with the prices off the roof.
ghodlur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 08:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the XUV700, I believe it is the most all rounder package in all these cars. I have sat in my brother’s AX7 version and we loved it a lot. The downside is the measly 6kmpl F.E., but the rest of the car more than makes up for it. If I had the money right now, I would have got one for sure!
Old 24th March 2023, 16:07   #22
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Vote for harrier. The AT drives simply amazing. Put that #black + red shades and it will turn the heads on road. It looks proper SUV (forgive 4x4). Hector looks like MUV to me.
Old 24th March 2023, 21:23   #23
BHPian

Voted for Hector.
I find it to be most sorted product, with least niggles reported on the forum. The only things not going for it are:
1. Chinese product image
2. No physical controls for AC
3. High speed ride.

It has one of the best sounding speakers, comfortable seats, potent tractable diesel engine, and all required safety features.
Old 24th March 2023, 22:09   #24
BHPian

Voted for Harrier both on the poll and with the wallet. It is by no means the perfect car, but somehow it connected to the heart unlike any of the other cars mentioned here. These are the dealbreakers in the other cars that swung the decision in Harriers favour:

Hector: Too soft, no Diesel AT, Petrol AT is thirsty and sluggish
XUV: Unstable Carplay, Ridiculous waiting periods, Noisy suspension, Poor Dealer response
Creta: Can't digest the looks, DCT reliability concerns, Diesel performance was just about adequate
Seltos: Same as Creta minus the looks, extremely stiff ride
Grand Vitara/Hyryder: Inadequate highway performance, Tiny boot, Cramped rear seat, Noisy engine
Kushaq/Taigun: Strict 4 seater, Average interior materials, DSG reliability concerns
Compass: Overpriced, Lethargic Autoboxes (both petrol and diesel), Cramped Rear seat

The Harrier itself has negatives like inconsistent finish levels and reliability concerns to name a few but the rest of the package was good enough to help us overlook these cons.
Old 24th March 2023, 22:59   #25
BHPian

I voted for XUV 700 and booked it recently as well. It's packed with features and both the engines are brilliant. I wish it had sliding middle row seats.But among all the contenders, it's simply the best all rounder.
I love Safari simply due to it being a far better 7 seater and the fact that it looks better IMHO. Even if I choose to ignore all the horror stories of harrier/safari, but the matter of the fact is that it's not crash tested even after such a long period of time and no matter how good a car is, it's not above the safety of the loved ones.
Old 25th March 2023, 17:20   #26
BHPian

Its very easy recommending others about which car to buy but when it comes to finally buying your there are too many things to consider and you think from your mind instead of your heart specially if the only car you are going to have and it's your daily drive too.
When Tata harrier was launched i must have recommended it many friends who brought the diesel car despite being in Delhi NCR. A large number of those although very happy with harrier/safari's they brought are now considering selling them off. It's too much of a hassle being stopped every time there is a ban on diesel cars during winters. Even those who have BS6 Variant are quite disturbed when they are stopped for checking. So i won't recommend diesel cars to anyone in Delhi NCR.
Next i recommended XUV700 to everyone and was quite excited after its launch. Took a test drive and was sure it's going to be my next car. But then the initial reports of its dismal fuel economy(7Km/litre) in city conditions appeared.
I took test drives of MG hector automatic too and this one too had poor fuel efficiency despite being very underpowerful. So that's double whammy.

I drive around 24000kms per year and that too in congested Delhi NCR roads. So with that kind of usage i would be putting almost 34LACs of fuel in 10 years of car use. Thats too much.
Never considered creta/Seltos. Can't buy car with poor safety ratings.

So when Hyryder/Grand vitara hybrid came i couldn't neglect the fact that it gives around 26/27kms/litre within city even with automatic.

Now i own Hyryder myself and it gives me a smile every time I get really good fuel economy figures. Just today I recorded an amazing fuel economy of 32.5 km/litre from my home to my office (35kms) of city traffic. My average fuel economy is 26.5kms/litre and go to fuel station just about twice every month.
So it's like spending almost 9 LAC if fuel in 10years of usage.
It has great suspension and amazing ride quality. Automatic gearbox is as good as DCT gearbox specially in city conditions.
Hyryder came close to be the only car which I can continue to drive for 10/15years, is fuel efficient automatic with expected good safety ratings.

So learnt my lessons that no car is better then other. You buy car which perfectly suits your use case.
Old 25th March 2023, 20:09   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsachin View Post
So learnt my lessons that no car is better then other. You buy car which perfectly suits your use case.
Very well said and aptly put, the best car is what you can afford and what ticks most of your must have boxes. That XUV will be the top choice here is a no brainer, it is one of the most rounded package in the industry, but is it a well rounded package for every single one, probably not, as not everyone wants a 200 bhp power car which is a fuel guzzler, so is hector. Same for any other car in this list, which might excel in something and might be OK in some other.

What is great is to have choices though, and this list proves it perfectly, the fact that we have almost 10 cars to choose from different manufacturers is a testimony in itself that we are spoilt for choices, this is a luxury which our parents never had. I hope choices keep getting better and all manufacturers find buyers so they can keep bring more cars for us, win win for everyone!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks