Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Innova?
Innova Hycross GX 59 51.30%
Innova Crysta GX 56 48.70%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2023, 12:56   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Battle of Innovas | Hycross or Crysta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Overall - Hycross is the better automobile, no doubt.

However BOF matters for long drives, the amount of isolation that it provides over slightly rougher roads can make the difference for users that are not blessed with very good roads all around.

Suspension is fitted to a separate chassis than the body itself, so that difference is going to be there.

Crysta looks good now after the release of Hycross, I never thought I`d say that about Crysta.

Ladder frame vehicles usually have an advantage in terms of road noise. However, as any back to back drive of Crysta and HyCross will reveal, Toyota has done an excellent job in terms of insulation as well as suspension tuning. I found both vehicles to be equally good in the road noise department, while the HyCross being much more silent otherwise. Ride quality is also better all round, and vastly better for the third row. Movement is much less.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 13:50   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
back to back drive of Crysta and HyCross will reveal, Toyota has done an excellent job in terms of insulation as well as suspension tuning. I found both vehicles to be equally good in the road noise department, while the HyCross being much more silent otherwise. Ride quality is also better all round, and vastly better for the third row. Movement is much less.
Thanks for sharing your experience on Hycross' ride quality vis-a-vis Crysta. Can you also elaborate on Hycross' (hybrid) acceleration at various speeds like slow moving traffic, undivided highways, expressways, etc.

Last edited by varunswnt : 6th April 2023 at 13:52.
Old 6th April 2023, 14:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Overall - Hycross is the better automobile, no doubt.

However BOF matters for long drives, the amount of isolation that it provides over slightly rougher roads can make the difference for users that are not blessed with very good roads all around.

Suspension is fitted to a separate chassis than the body itself, so that difference is going to be there.

Crysta looks good now after the release of Hycross, I never thought I`d say that about Crysta.
That is not true. BOF is rougher, heavier and definitely not more comfortable. I had test driven the BOF Crysta last year and immediately rejected it in favour of the XUV700 and Tata Safari which are both FWD monocoque and ride and handle much better.

I took both the Safari and the Crysta over the same untarred road which was undergoing construction and the Crysta was just so rough and jarring at higher speeds. It ultimately caused my decision to book the safari (however did not take delivery because the allotted car was defective and reading the service horror stories here did not fill me with confidence)

We contemplated the crysta again but just could not get over the feeling of driving a 2 decade old truck. Everything was just so rough. Even the BOF 4x4 ScorpioN felt more car-like and pleasurable to drive.

Just test drive the hycross and crysta back to back. The Hycross is a major improvement in every way except interior quality. Being a big fan of diesels, I do wish they had given it a diesel engine though.
Cresterk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 14:54   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience on Hycross' ride quality vis-a-vis Crysta. Can you also elaborate on Hycross' (hybrid) acceleration at various speeds like slow moving traffic, undivided highways, expressways, etc.
All data from reviews point to the HyCross hybrid being quicker than the Crysta in all aspects. Thing is, HyCross doesn’t feel as quick, because of the bit of lag that inherently comes with the eCVT. Key word being feel. Crysta’s torque converter + turbo diesel torque gives it more initial kick in real world roll on acceleration, and just feels more natural. HyCross, despite being objectively quicker, does not feel so. It takes a while to get used to the hybrid driving experience, especially for those used to large and powerful turbo diesels.

Another important point is that Crysta comes with only a 5 speed gearbox now. The lack of 6th gear means it gets pretty busy as highway speeds, especially compared with the super refined HyCross.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 11:19   #20
BHPian

At this moment it seems we are at a tie. 50% with 43 votes for each.
Old 3rd May 2023, 18:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroy92 View Post
At this moment it seems we are at a tie. 50% with 43 votes for each.
Very unusual. I think both the products are good with their own strengths.
Battle of Innovas | Hycross or Crysta?-cystavshycrosstie.jpg
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 18:31   #22
BHPian

In the same conundrum!

Having booked the Hycross VX Hybrid almost 3 months ago, I feel like going for Crysta ZX since its priced same as Hycross VX Hybrid.

What I get in Hycross over Crysta:

- Better 3rd row space, which my dad prefers over Crysta

- Better FE when compared to Crysta Diesel in city (Hycross gives 18-20 Kmpl in city as far as I heard while Crysta gives 10-12 Kmpl if driven in same conditions)

- Smooth and refined petrol hybrid engine mated to e-CVT and that Hybrid system is future proof but bit concerned about its reliability in future

- Steering felt feather light and easy while taking u-turns

What I get in Crysta over Hycross:

- BOF chassis, which is very useful for rough terrains we drive on

- Still prefer the looks of Crysta though Hycross is no less in terms of looks

The only gripe is lack of Diesel AT in Crysta, which is sorely missed. I feel they could've retained the Diesel AT in Crysta. But, if Toyota relaunches the Diesel AT in Crysta, it'll surely eat away the sales of Hycross. But, Toyota did a grave mistake in restricting AT variants to Hycross and MT variants to Crysta.

Since dad wanted to get the AT vehicle this time, Hycross it is but convincing him to get the Crysta since its available bit sooner though lacks on AT and he somehow wanted to try that Hybrid system.
Old 16th June 2023, 23:51   #23
BHPian

Really tough choice to make. Not purchase wise but vote wise.
Hycross got the looks and refinement while crysta got interior. Voted Hycross for its glass black colour. It’s awesome to look at. My uncle has this very colour and it’s just like Škoda’s lava blue colour for Octavia. You can’t get enough of it.
Old 20th June 2023, 23:52   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post

Another important point is that Crysta comes with only a 5 speed gearbox now. The lack of 6th gear means it gets pretty busy as highway speeds, especially compared with the super refined HyCross.
If I can only buy the petrol, which one should I choose?

Used Crysta 2.7 V (2021 model) - apparently it's a fuel guzzler.

or

New Hycross GX (one above base model) - with average interiors.
Old 21st June 2023, 00:25   #25
BHPian

I would vote for Crysta over Hycross.
Reason being the quality, the interiors, and the engine torque.
When I went for the Hycross I was seriously disappointed with the interiors. Felt like a Maruti interior more than a Toyota to me.
Happened to sit in someone’s 2.4 ZX Automatic last week and loved the interiors felt high quality and well appointed.
In the end it boils down to what you prioritise. If you’re going to be chauffeur driven, can wait for a long time (keeping in mind the waiting times) and you keep an eye on the mileage, I’d say go for the Hycross. If you’re going to drive your family around and don’t plan on keeping your car for longer than 10 years, I’d say simply go for the Crysta eyes closed! The Crysta takes rough roads way better IMO.
Old 22nd June 2023, 02:06   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto spawn View Post
I would vote for Crysta over Hycross.
Should I buy a used Crysta petrol manual? I'm not sure about the fuel efficiency.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd June 2023 at 02:28. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please quote large posts entirely.
Old 22nd June 2023, 19:39   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampinfinity View Post
Should I buy a used Crysta petrol manual? I'm not sure about the fuel efficiency.
The torque on the petrol Innova is very low, it’ll affect drivability which is one of the main reasons why no one picks the petrol.

The second and most important reason is the fuel economy. My friends Crysta Diesel returns around 9-11 kmpl. in Mumbai traffic. So without a doubt, you can expect the petrol to return 5-7 kmpl in the city.

If you plan on using this as a highway tourer then I’m sure with a light foot it could return around 10 kmpl.
Old 31st March 2024, 10:52   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
In the same conundrum!

Having booked the Hycross VX Hybrid almost 3 months ago, I feel like going for Crysta ZX since its priced same as Hycross VX Hybrid.

What I get in Hycross over Crysta:

- Better 3rd row space, which my dad prefers over Crysta

- Better FE when compared to Crysta Diesel in city (Hycross gives 18-20 Kmpl in city as far as I heard while Crysta gives 10-12 Kmpl if driven in same conditions)

- Smooth and refined petrol hybrid engine mated to e-CVT and that Hybrid system is future proof but bit concerned about its reliability in future

- Steering felt feather light and easy while taking u-turns

What I get in Crysta over Hycross:

- BOF chassis, which is very useful for rough terrains we drive on

- Still prefer the looks of Crysta though Hycross is no less in terms of looks

The only gripe is lack of Diesel AT in Crysta, which is sorely missed. I feel they could've retained the Diesel AT in Crysta. But, if Toyota relaunches the Diesel AT in Crysta, it'll surely eat away the sales of Hycross. But, Toyota did a grave mistake in restricting AT variants to Hycross and MT variants to Crysta.

Since dad wanted to get the AT vehicle this time, Hycross it is but convincing him to get the Crysta since its available bit sooner though lacks on AT and he somehow wanted to try that Hybrid system.
It's been more than 9 months since I've posted this. We eventually ended up getting the Hycross VX Hybrid that we booked a year ago in July 2023 (booked in March 2023 and bought in July 2023) and my folks couldn't be happier with this car.

The odo has already completed 23k Kms in 8 months of ownership and gives around 18 Kmpl in city traffic (it gave 19.5 Kmpl once though in mixed conditions).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks