Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2023, 10:03   #31
BHPian

Re: Wife needs a car with auto-parking as her parking skills are poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnupamRoy View Post
Off topic, so my apologies in advance, but did you get a Škoda workshop to do the mod for you? I've been contemplating installing a 360° camera on my Octavia for a while now, but not confident enough to give the car to any FNG for this, esp since the Octy is under (extended) warranty until 2025. The dealer I bought it from just said it isn't possible to fit one and washed their hands off it, so that was that. I'd also prefer not having to drill holes into the car's body, or cut any wires to install any mods (Would rather live with the current parking sensors than have any of that), which is why I still haven't been able to figure out if the 360° cam is really out of the picture for me. Any help/advice much appreciated.

Contact Nikhil from N2AutoTech. He’s the best in this domain in India, and also highly respected in the international VAG retrofit community.
sarfraz1997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 15:32   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by schubeir10 View Post
Hi Team,

I am planning to buy a new car, preferably a SUV.

I want ADAS features especially AUTO PARKING as my wife is very poor in parking skills.
Wonder how effective ADAS is in India.

I lived in the UK till 2019 where my last car was a C-class equipped with Parktronic, Mercedes' parking assistance technology. Parktronic detects a suitable parking space using ultrasonic sensors that emit sound waves (not audible to humans) kerb side. Based on the echo, the sensors determine the presence of a parking spot by determining whether the echo is coming from a vehicle parked alongside, or by getting reflected off the kerb. Now most roads in the UK do have a proper kerb, where the system worked. But I experienced that if I was trying to park on a stretch where there was no kerb (e.g. a lane next to grass, or the pavement was level with the road), the system did not work.

My Mercedes also had a feature where if you put the gear selector in Reverse, the kerb-side wing mirror automatically re-adjusted to an angle where you could see the kerb side rear wheel. I found that feature far more helpful than Parktronic!

Indeed, I found Parktronic a silly example of over-engineering. IMHO, a rear facing camera, bumper sensors, and electric wing mirrors are more than enough. I would suggest that your wife practice parking in a car equipped with these 3 things. The only significant training she would need would be setting the wing mirrors before and after parking.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd May 2023 at 05:13. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags.
Suprit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 17:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

I wasn't going to post or comment on this. But oh boy, the Facebook post of this is full of sexist men commenting on the driving skill (or the lack thereof) of the person who this car is for. Wow! I see nothing wrong in having a car that can assist in mundane driving functions and help park in difficult situations. Doesn't have to descend into comments on driving ability. Good luck with the search. I have been using various cars with varying degrees of ADAS capabilities in the US, and while they maybe better suited to driving conditions over here, with the newer access controlled highways coming up in India, you will find places to use the various features. Also automatic emergency braking is useful anywhere!
vineethvazhayil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 23:17   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I wasn't going to post or comment on this. But oh boy, the Facebook post of this is full of sexist men commenting on the driving skill (or the lack thereof) of the person who this car is for. Wow! I see nothing wrong in having a car that can assist in mundane driving functions and help park in difficult situations. Doesn't have to descend into comments on driving ability. Good luck with the search. I have been using various cars with varying degrees of ADAS capabilities in the US, and while they maybe better suited to driving conditions over here, with the newer access controlled highways coming up in India, you will find places to use the various features. Also automatic emergency braking is useful anywhere!
Thanks a tonne! The way people pounced on the sentence about my wife's driving skills made me laugh. They just missed the point that I am looking for ADAS features especially self parking. And which cars / SUVs have it now and what is expected in the near future!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd May 2023 at 05:12. Reason: Removing the unwanted bits for keeping the discussions civil.
schubeir10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 09:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schubeir10 View Post
Hi Team,

I am planning to buy a new car, preferably a SUV.

I want ADAS features especially AUTO PARKING as my wife is very poor in parking skills. Also AUTO EMERGENCY BRAKING, REAR CROSS TRAFFIC WARNING etc.

It could be a sedan or SUV.

Long drives (500 kms and above) will be frequent, so driving comfort is important.

Need your suggestions on existing and upcoming models.

Thanks in advance.

Subir Dutta
I think there is no car below 50 Lakhs currently that will give you all of this. Hyundai Tuscon and a few others like MG Astor and XUV700 have advanced ADAS features except Auto Parking. VW Tiguan has recently added Parking Assist which automates the Steering control for parking but it does not have other ADAS features. Maybe it's the MG Gloster that is the cheapest that comes with all the features and costs not a lot more than 50 Lakhs.

If you can breach 50 Lakhs and go for the Luxury class, then upcoming launches of many of them may get most, if not all of these features.
VinsWagen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks