Toyota Hilux 120 27.33%
Isuzu V-Cross 60 13.67%
I'd never buy a pickup truck in India 259 59.00%
Voters: 439. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2023, 15:08   #31
d.j
BHPian

Re: Would you buy a premium pickup truck in India? Toyota Hilux vs Isuzu V-Cross

voted No, it's not practical in majority of car usages we do, nor we DIY. I will always consider them as utility vehicle, for a purpose!

Regards/DJ
Old 20th April 2023, 15:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Would you buy a premium pickup truck in India? Toyota Hilux vs Isuzu V-Cross

Voted I'd never buy a pickup truck in India

Unless we have a zombie apocalypse, not driving around in a pickup truck in India for sure. Driving my hatch itself is such a headache that half the time I end up Uber-ing inside city, can't imagine maneuvering these behemoths in our senseless traffic

Having said that would have loved to own one if I were still in Australia.

Last edited by SoumenD : 20th April 2023 at 16:01.
Old 20th April 2023, 15:57   #33
BHPian

Give me an Electric F-150 Lightning or a Baja Raptor and I'll happily trade my remaining hair forever. But that's not possible in a crowded Indian metro city, so not voting.

In hindsight I should've bought the V Cross when it was sensibly priced and mod Turbanator was selling his. It was sold the same day he posted about it, within a few hours if I recall.
Old 20th April 2023, 16:05   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostGrid View Post
Yes.

I am a huge Hollywood fan, and in 1999 I watched a movie called Twister, where they showed a "1995 Dodge Ram 2500." Since then, I have told myself that no matter what, I will buy something like that. When I first saw the Isuzu V-Cross, it just hit me then and there. I like the Toyota one as well, but I would prefer the Isuzu if given the chance.
My obsession with Pickups has started from the days of GTA San Andreas PC Game and 18 wheels of steel game. Also there are countless movies especially the transformer series, which have kindled my love ve for pickups and muscle cars.
iampulo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 16:44   #35
BHPian

Voted for the Vcross.

In general I am in complete favor of Pickups because of the following reasons:

1. A clean and well maintained VCross can be bought in the used market(The route I took) for the price of a Mid Variant Brezza, a proper SUV rather than a jacked up hatchback. The rear seat space is very similar in context.

2. There is nothing this vehicle cant do. Drives like any other Body in Frame SUV, carrys 5 people, can carry loads/luggage like no other vehicle in the market, and it can do all three together.

3. The Climate control and Reverse camera are the only features prime most important for me, which even the pickups offer. I don't see myself missing out on any other gimmicks or feature that the industry offers. Has all the essentials like:

- Power Windows
- Height Adjusted seats
- Adjustable steering
- Climate Control
- Electrical ORVMs
- Arm Rests
- Airbags
- ABS

4. The vehicles stand out as Behemoth amongst an array of cute cars on the road.

5. Both Toyota and Isuzu are known for robust built to last vehicles, Apart from regular service one hardly needs any major maintenance.

6. The go anywhere and do anything attitude that comes along with it.

7. The general perception of a bumpy ride works like a charm for me. With roads(Or the lack of) like they have in Pune, I'd rather be flying over speed breakers and broken roads knowing that nothing would come in my way, rather than crawling and constant worry of damaging my car.

The only thing I miss is the sound of a full size subwoofer playing those deep notes.

Last edited by damanbir : 20th April 2023 at 16:50. Reason: Spell Check
damanbir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 17:18   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

I would pick the Hillux for no other reason I think it has the most butch visuals. Let’s face it, you don’t buy a pickup for practicality. Although many pickup owners would like us to believe that. Their wives don’t believe them and neither to I.

Certainly not if you live in a major town.

You buy it because it is just cool to own a pick up. Of course it will look great on the drive of our old farm in the Netherlands sitting next to my classic Jeep Cherokee. Mrs D will need to move her little Fiesta though. Brings down the butch factor.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 17:52   #37
Senior - BHPian

I would buy one if i had the money. Definitely the indestructible Hilux.
These are not trucks but these are lifestyle choices you are making and once you buy one they open up a world of opportunities and possibilities to explore.

You cannot view them from the practical point of view, it can be just one more toy you desire to own.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 19:33   #38
Senior - BHPian

Pickup trucks gained popularity in western countries because they were much cheaper than the SUV counterpart along with tax rebates and other incentives for a "work" vehicle. I don't really see the point here. When's the last time you ever had to haul something that couldn't fit in an auto or tempo for negligible money?
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 21:32   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Would you buy a premium pickup truck in India?

I would love to buy a 'Premium' pickup truck in India for more reasons than one. However, as the situation stands currently, there are no premium trucks available in this country. The ones being sold are the under-powered variants offered for a high price, which makes them a bad value in my personal opinion.

Secondly, none of the pickups being sold in India offer the real heavy towing capability of a pickup truck, more like light loaders tuned for fuel economy more than actual performance.

I feel the automotive market needs sometime to actually realize the true purpose of these pickups before we start seeing more models/options coming in. If only Mazda sold its pickups here
Old 20th April 2023, 22:17   #40
BHPian

I wouldn’t buy a lifestyle pickup even if my heart yearns for one. While the segment is alluring with macho appearance and capability, practicality in daily life makes it a deal breaker.
I feel that Toyota actually made a gaffe by overpricing the Hilux. Based on features it offers, the car is a sub 30-lakh product. Toyota could have worked on providing better creature comforts and customisation options for this price, being positioned as a “lifestyle product” rather than a utility tool.
Old 20th April 2023, 22:29   #41
BHPian

I used to drive a pickup truck (fully loaded Toyota Tacoma) and I also had the FJ Cruiser (both shared the same platform). I used to be big into camping/kayaking and used either depending on where we were going. Both were fun to drive. Both practical and served their purpose well. When I moved to India and decided I needed a vehicle, I was almost certain I'd get a pickup truck; but boy was I wrong! A SWB SUV made way much more sense in India. It would be a punishment to drive the Hilux or the VCross in India as the only/primary vehicle (not to mention they cost a bomb here). And I won't be caught dead in a Jeep, so the Thar it was for less than half the price.

I did not vote because the only choices are Hilux/VCross/Never... am a "maybe" in the future if I decide to get into farming like I thought I would. I don't see myself camping/kayaking in India, so farming is the only other use case where a pickup may make sense to me.

Also, except the pricing, those two, as they are offered in India, aren't really premium in any sense.
Old 21st April 2023, 00:20   #42
BHPian

Voted no. Simple reason that I buy cars to justify for what they are made for. Pick up trucks are super useful in other countries such as the middle east, USA etc where you have the culture of camping, self hauling goods etc. India, especially cities like Mumbai which have no such use and would be a gross waste for commendable and extremely capable vehicles such as the Hilux and V cross. The only reason I see poeple buying these in cities who do not even go offroading or camping is to potray mine is bigger than your's!!

Mods please delete the comment if it offends anybody.
Old 21st April 2023, 01:46   #43

I love the sheer size of a pickup and I've placed an order for the Cybertruck purely on the looks and electric powertrain. I will be lucky if I get it within the next 3 years.
Old 21st April 2023, 06:00   #44
BHPian

Both the current models in the consumer pickup truck are out of budget, but if they were, I'd certainly own one. With a bed cover, a double cab "premium" pickup would probably be the best touring vehicle for India - 4 seats, "premium" interiors/features, oodles of luggage space and some off-roading capability.
Old 21st April 2023, 07:06   #45
BHPian

Voted no. One primary reason - Purpose.

I feel pickup trucks are more useful for people who do a lot of of camping trips. I'm neither an off-roader nor I go on camping trips. I love tarmac . Moreover, the size of these trucks, makes it a cumbersome task driving around in city and not a good rider on highways too.

Most Viewed