Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2007, 05:27   #1
BHPian

Car/SUV - I have a 50kg German Shepard

I am returning to India. The plan is to spend a few months in Hyderabad with my parents (my German Shepard is already there, I took him from Southern California in June 2007) and after a few months I will move with Nattu (the German Shepard) to IIT-Kharagpur where I have been offered a Professorship.

So, I need to buy a car in Hyderabad and then take it to Kharagpur with Nattu. I would like to drive it there with him in a leisurely trip (I was brought up in Bhubaneswar, although I am not Oriya, but, can speak the language).

The vehicles that I am thinking about are:

1. Tata Safari Dicor
2. Toyota Innova

Although I can drive stick shift (and learnt that when I was 15 yrs old with an Amby), I prefer to drive an automatic transmission. Is that possible with the above two choices (I realize it will probably be special order).

Any suggestions/comments?

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 12th August 2007, 06:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hey Nano-Scientist,

So you are finally getting back. How's Nattu handling the Hyderabad weather?

Safari and Innova are big vehicles on Indian roads. You may want to get used to Indian city roads before going for it. I mean wait until you move to IIT-K before considering the big vehicles. In Hyderabad, it is better to start with something smaller.
Old 12th August 2007, 07:20   #3
BANNED

Hi and welcome to Team-BHP. Hope to hear about you more in the introduce yourself section.

Both the vehicles you have considered are great for leisure, long and enjoyable drives. yes, they're a bit big in size but if you can learn how to bully them around, then it won't be much of a problem.
Old 12th August 2007, 07:40   #4
BHPian

Samurai

Nice to hear from you. I think I wrote my first post (this one) in the wrong forum - it should be in the "What to buy" one - ca you move it there?

Nattu is doing great - he is playing a lot with my parents Great Dane mix (so she is not as big as a pure-bred Great Dane). I joked to my parents that Nattu has a girl-friend

Re: the choice of vehicle, I have driven in India so I will be fine. I drive just the way the crazy folks do. I saw on another thread that you have bought the Safari. Do you still have your Baleno? My gut feeling tells me that I may not be able to find a Toyota dealer with service facility in Kharagpur but, there will be Tata ones. That is one of the reason I am leaning towards the Safari - plus Nattu can have fun when we go on trips without us having to keep the car (as in Innova) neat and tidy.

Any comments about Automatic transmission with the Safari Dicor? Is it possible (aside from the why would one do that?).

Cheers

Nattusbs

I am really looking forward to R2I.
Old 12th August 2007, 09:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to TBHP, but as suggested go for a smaller vehicle first and them move onto a bigger one like you prefer.

People in India arent used to following traffic rules and try to squeeze a truck in a cars space while driving on roads
Old 12th August 2007, 12:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Both the vehicles you mentioned do not come with AT even as an option and AFAIK there are no possibilities of any aftermarket conversions also. The only AT SUV you'll find in India (relatively reasonably priced) would be the Honda CR-V and maybe the Endeavour (if they've given the AT option).

I would say stick to the Innova if your usage is primarily On-Road but if you intend to go Off-Road then the Safari is a better bet.
Old 12th August 2007, 12:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

No MPV/SUV with AT options yet. Except for the CR-V and the Grand Vitara. They are soft roaders at best, with the Vitara being the more capable of the two. If you don't have problem driving a stick shift, I suggest buying the version which has seats that fold flat to the sides. I doubt they offer them anymore. I know the erstwhile Qualis FS used to offer side folding rear seats and they freed up[ a lot of space. Enough for Nattu to stretch his legs, a little.
Old 12th August 2007, 13:00   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattusbs View Post
Samurai

Nice to hear from you. I think I wrote my first post (this one) in the wrong forum - it should be in the "What to buy" one - ca you move it there?

Nattu is doing great - he is playing a lot with my parents Great Dane mix (so she is not as big as a pure-bred Great Dane). I joked to my parents that Nattu has a girl-friend

Re: the choice of vehicle, I have driven in India so I will be fine. I drive just the way the crazy folks do. I saw on another thread that you have bought the Safari. Do you still have your Baleno? My gut feeling tells me that I may not be able to find a Toyota dealer with service facility in Kharagpur but, there will be Tata ones. That is one of the reason I am leaning towards the Safari - plus Nattu can have fun when we go on trips without us having to keep the car (as in Innova) neat and tidy.

Any comments about Automatic transmission with the Safari Dicor? Is it possible (aside from the why would one do that?).

Cheers

Nattusbs

I am really looking forward to R2I.
if you want A/T i suggest you bump up your budget a bit and look at the grand vitara.
Old 12th August 2007, 13:39   #9
BHPian

Auto is not available at the price point that your two shortlisted vehicles belong to, but the on-road manners of the Safari are acceptable at best, but it hs very spacious and comfortable interior. The Innova is better on road and is decently comfortable, being a toyota it is better built as well. Another option is the Scorpio, it is more powerful and faster but isn't as spacious as the other two. But if you're driving, the Scorpio offers the most fun.
My opinion: Scorpio,
Innova: If space, quality, on-road manners are important.
Safari: Expected to be replaced soon, the upgraded version should be better, if you can wait for the new one, then go for this.
Old 12th August 2007, 13:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

For AT version of Car/SUV it should be either CRV or Grand Vitara.

If you need it for off roading and roads are very bad then it has to be Safari 4X4 nothing come close to Safari in that.

It has to be Innova If you need trouble free crusier with more highway use and with lot of space and comfort.

Safari and Innova don't come with AT option. With Safari/Innova/CRV/Grand Vitara You can easily have your Nattu sit happily inside.

I own Innova it provides best options in terms of folding the seats the way you want. Visit the dealerships and Test Drive all these big beasts to see which will matche for your need.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 12th August 2007, 14:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to TBHP, though the conversation with Samurai makes me suspect you're not so new here.

You havent told us what your budget is - once we know that we can probably help you with your options.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested the new Endeavour here, though there have been Vitara and CRV suggestions. It will be rather bumpy in the back though - your four legged friend may therefore not appreciate the ride very much.

Hindustan Motors also sells the older Pajero if you're interested in off-roading and have a decent budget.

If you arent planning to off-road and just want space for your friend, please look at the Tucson, the Vitara and the CRV.

If your budget is around Rs.10 lakhs, you have the Safari and the Innova. The Safari will give your friend a bit of space in the back, and if you dont have more than just one more (human) passenger you can give him all the space from the end of the front seats till the tailgate.

The Innova is good in all respects, except for the stupid van-like shape.
Old 12th August 2007, 15:14   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Welcome to TBHP, though the conversation with Samurai makes me suspect you're not so new here.
I know him for few years now, the man happens to be a top nano-technology researcher returning to motherland. How about an Intro thread Nattusbs?

I am thinking Grand Vitara AT may be the best choice considernig Maruti ASC is everywhere. Easy to drive in city as well as off-road.
Old 12th August 2007, 15:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattusbs View Post
So, I need to buy a car in Hyderabad and then take it to Kharagpur with Nattu. I would like to drive it there with him in a leisurely trip (I was brought up in Bhubaneswar, although I am not Oriya, but, can speak the language).
Nattusbs
Buying a car in one state and using it in another gets you into hassles with the RTO. You need to run around and pay more for road tax in the destination state and reregistration of the same.My suggestion is the buy the car in Kharagpur and drive down to hyd and rive back.
Old 12th August 2007, 21:19   #14
BHPian

Hi all

Posted an introduction on the introduce forum.

Thanks for the suggestions. I really do not understand why more Indian cars do not have auto transmission. I would think it would preferable in the crazy traffic there. People say that it hurts mileage, although I am not sure if it really does. And even if it does, the convenience more than makes up for it.

OK, I have seen the Grand Vitara and Scorpio and really think they are both ugly. I like the looks of the Endeavor and Tavera - although I hate US car companies. I have been reading Testdriver's miserable experience with the Safari (especially oil leak) on another thread. What say Samurai? How's your new Safari?

My budget is flexible. I think that the Honda CRV is a very good vehicle, but, very pricey. I wish Land Rover came to India, but, that would be expensive a well. Has anyone seen the new Volvo's scheduled to be introduced in India?

Re: buying in Hyderabad and taking it to KGP, with state RTC changes to be done, I will think about the suggestion of buying it in KGP itself. Or maybe, I will buy a Bullet with a side car (for Nattu with seat belt, helmet and goggles) in Hyderabad first

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 12th August 2007, 23:13   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a 50 kgs German Shepherd too. He's happy in my Swift, as it happens.

For long drives of course, any MUV/SUV with good AC will do. I'd suggest the Safari

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks