Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2007, 23:39   #16
Team-BHP Support

TheMAG himself is a 100 KG German Shepard, and he too is happy with the Swift.

Nattusbs, you have to stop thinking about looks when it comes to Indian cars. Just think about Santro, WagonR, Qualis,etc that succeeded despite their looks. You need to look at local service since you will be in a smaller town. That mostly means Maruti, Hyundai or Tata.

BTW, I haven't bought the Safari yet. The latest rumour on 2.2L came out on the very day I was supposed to book it.
Old 13th August 2007, 00:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to TBHP

the new volvo? X90? 50lac plus.

and you checked out the new Grand Vitara or tehold one?

and why not the Fusion, Marina and SRV?

abt 50kg canine in you rear of Swift: well, its ok in India and hence the canine cant sue you

Last edited by jkdas : 13th August 2007 at 00:06.
Old 13th August 2007, 00:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to team-bhp nattu , you have a good knowledgable friend in samurai, i guess you will take his advice. I would also suggest the same. Get the Grand Vitara AT if it is within your budget, else th safari seems to be the best option for your little dog to travel with you.

BTW, i had a 55kg golden retriever & she used to enjoy my esteem though i knew she would have enjoyed a bigger, cooler car a lot better.
cheers
Old 13th August 2007, 00:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

OT!
pet loving petrol heads. We have heavy weight pets in here. Looks like my dobermann would look ok at 45kgs when you have themag at 100, his pet at 50 , e_l's at 55kg etc
Old 13th August 2007, 00:16   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
TheMAG himself is a 100 KG German Shepard, and he too is happy with the Swift.

If that were completely true I'd have the unique distinction of using all my paws to type a computer keyboard and possessing a driving license issued by a human RTO dept. Yippee for me then ?! I aint so sure
Old 13th August 2007, 05:11   #21
BHPian

I am sorry, in post #14 I wrote that the GV was ugly. I must have confused with something else. I happened to see a thread on a test drive comparison between CR-V and GV which had photo's of both. The GV does look good actually.

Yes, I will test drive a few models when I r2I. Thinking about it, since I am very familiar with MT, (when I lived in Edmonton, Canada, I used to have a 3.0L, V6, 5-spd hatch back that I made a left turn in the snow at a traffic light in 5th gear. may be the new Safari coming out with MT would be best.

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 13th August 2007, 05:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Whats the reason for an SUV? Are you looking for extra room for you dog or do you want to go off road. Indigo Marina (station wagon) can also accomodate your dog well and if auto trans is v important, take a look at the Honda City.
Old 14th August 2007, 03:24   #23
BHPian

I want to go off-road with Nattu. I don't mind if the back gets dirty due to him and I want him to have plenty of room. There are times when he would come to the front and give me a nice lick

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 14th August 2007, 16:20   #24
BHPian

'nattusbs' good to know a nano-scientist who's going in for a macro-car!
let us know what you feel after test driving your shortlisted cars.
you could take your 50kg pooch with you.
Alsations are intelligent creatures, he will probably give you a feeler or two of his preferred car.
Old 14th August 2007, 17:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattusbs View Post
I want to go off-road with Nattu. I don't mind if the back gets dirty due to him and I want him to have plenty of room. There are times when he would come to the front and give me a nice lick
If your budget permits and if you are not picky about car interiors, older Pajero (costs around 22L) would be perfect. It is a great off-roader, very reliable (testdrive's experience with Safari is bad enough to scare most of the bravehearts) and the ride quality is almost as good as Safari. Ofcourse, it costs a lot more and then there is an issue of being able to get after sales support in KGP.
Old 21st November 2007, 20:54   #26
BHPian

What vehicle - moving to IIT-KGP

Hi all

I am R2I by the end of the year and starting a new job on the faculty of IIT-KGP. So the question becomes, what car to buy? Let me share some of my thoughts. I had posted earlier that I am keen on the new Tata Safari 2.2 Dicor since I have my german shepard.

My good friend, Samurai was also going to buy this, waited patiently I believe and then I saw his post about the Grand Vitara (nice pics). There have been so many threads about people's experience with the new Safari - kind of tells me that one should wait for 6 months so that debugging is done.

IIT-KGP is a small place and I cannot see driving long distance at least for the first few months, I will be just too busy settling down especially at work. So I thought I should get a Royal Enfield Bullet with a side car for Nattu (with helmet, goggles and a red bandana). What do you all think? Btw, I have never driven a motor bike

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:08   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

i do not have very fond memories of my iit professors! but it has been long time so i might as well get over with it :-) all i can say is i am happy for your decision to come back to india and i wish you the very best.

bullet and safari go together very well i guess :-) i think students are not allowed to have bikes/cars within the campus these days. so you can bulldoze their bicycles with your heavy duty locomotives!! just kidding.
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:11   #28
BHPian

if you get that bullet with the side car and the dog does ride in it, please post pics
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Get a car (Safari 2.2 is a nice choice) for nearby trips like Digha, Kolkata, Puri etc and buy a nice Bicycle for campus use. Thats what the profs used to do during my IITK(K for Kanpur) days as a BTech student.
My uncle is a prof in IITKgp and he still relishes his cycle inside the campus.

During my campus life whatever I have seen in IITKgp and IITK, I can say that a bike doesnt really workout well. I felt the cycle was the best companion inside the serenity of the campus. I dont know how is the situation now?

Abhi
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest a bicycle (for you) inside the campus. But it also depends on your weight. If you feel you are overweight, then bicycle would be of no use looks ugly. For seating Nattu inside, well, you need to think of something else. As far as the car is conderned, safari/Vitara is a good vehicle. But I have seen some people use their cars for their Nattu's which will be popping out its head in traffic...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks