Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2007, 18:55   #1
BHPian

TATA safari TCIC or the DICOR

Hi all
I came across to Team BHP site a few days back while googling and then finally decided to jump in to the conversations as I am a big car buff myself. Believe me or not, I spent 7 days in reading several previous threads and here is my very first posting

To start with, a little background, I run a small software development company here in Bikaner and fascinated by the cars since I have got hold on my senses
Presently I own a Maruti SX4 (2007) and Indica V2 DLS diesel (2002 Dec.)

Now to the big question, planning to buy a new car as replacement to my Indica and have a budget of 5 to 7 Lakhs. My first choice – Always a Safari, Man.. just for its killer looks and road presence. Since I saw the first Safari on the road, I am dreaming of this machine.
The DICOR LX is just out of my reach as I don’t want to spend 8 Lakh OTR coz of its poor resell value (I plan to sell this out in 3 years) So if the Safari TCIC is a good buy ? I read through the different threads on similar topics but couldn’t get out of the confusion.
My requirements - I don’t need menace powers as I always believe in “Speed Thrills but kills” so I don’t need to touch 150 or 160 in speedo. If it gives 10-11 FE, a trouble free (low maintenance) run for 3 years or so, approx 50% resell, a decent pick up (I drive a lot the Indica and think the Safari would be better than this any day) and good suspension (roads are almost invisible here.. all you can see is dirt, mud and potholes)

My average run - 1000-1200 KM / Month with a highway trip per month (400-500 KM to my brother’s place)
So now what do you guys think, should I go for TCIC or the DICOR is the only way to go.

Also, I know it may sound dumb but I love the Esteem looks. If not safari, then I am going straight to Maruti and a Black Esteem VXi will be my next car… Please shade some light on this as well
Especially over the athletic abilities required to get in and out of the car.
Old 19th August 2007, 20:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey maheep... first of all welcome to teambhp... Believe me dicor is better any time I do own an indica myself , but can not go in for TCIC, as it's very slow when loaded, Indica is far better even after loading it... as for esteem it rocks.as for price you can go in for a second hand car , that will solve your reseal value problem and in the run save the initial investment also.and also as you may have read that there is a new safari engine in the pipeline so the TCIC engine may be stopped.
I still don't get these two choices as one is quit big the other small comparatively.if you are looking for space and you like safari than go in for that car man...
Old 20th August 2007, 00:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

Why not have a TD of both the TCIC and DiCOR and then decide? TCIC had the reputation of being underpowered, but then again, you have mentioned its ok with you. But still, you could love driving the DiCOR.

Esteem is a very good car, but a bit dated and due for replacement soon (In case you haven't read already)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maheepgupta View Post
Presently I own a Maruti SX4 (2007) and Indica V2 DLS diesel (2002 Dec.)
Congrats on the new car! Looking for back to back car purchases?
Old 20th August 2007, 11:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

The TCIC, DICOR and the upcoming 2.2, all look the same with some minor cosmetics here and there.

You want it for the "Killer looks and road presence" and are not concerned about the power.

So take a test drive( a long one) for both and then decide, if you can live with the TCIC or not.
Old 20th August 2007, 12:21   #5
BHPian

i used to have a TCIC and just recently sold it and bought a DICOR Lx, this was mainly for the lack of power that TCIC had. Now it all depends on how much power is enough for each of us here. And when I meant power its not about reacing 150+ or something like that, but its just about getting adequate power to keep moving without changing gear's and also the initial push...
as everyone here suggest, you can just TD both and then decide...i still feel that if you want atleast the power of indica you will go in for Dicor...
post ur decision here mate...either way a new member in waiting for the Safari club...welcome
Old 20th August 2007, 12:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

On second thoughts if and when the 2.2 is launched, the prices of the existing 3.0 DICOR will come crashing down and within your budget too.

Quote:
Now to the big question, planning to buy a new car as replacement to my Indica and have a budget of 5 to 7 Lakhs. My first choice – Always a Safari, Man.. just for its killer looks and road presence. Since I saw the first Safari on the road, I am dreaming of this machine.
The DICOR LX is just out of my reach as I don’t want to spend 8 Lakh OTR coz of its poor resell value.
Old 20th August 2007, 14:40   #7
BHPian

Hi All
Thanks for your replies.
Few things – I know the 2.2 is on the way and though no certainty on the launch, it can come any day. However, I am not willing to wait coz models will keep coming and one can not buy if start waiting for newer models. Same with Esteem, it can be phased out any day but again, who knows.

I know it is pretty odd combination or either safari or esteem but Safari is just for fun and a passion. I wanted to buy this vehicle from day 1 of the launch. On the other end Esteem is more practical in city driving as well as in terms of maintenance, resell etc. So if not safari then it’s a black Esteem.

As for safari TCIC, my concerns are
1) If resell value is nothing after 3 years?
2) Maintenance cost as compared to Dicor
3) I test drove DICOR coz here TCIC is available on booking only, and it was a great feeling but I am confused if the pickup of TCIC is so bad that we can not even live with that or it is acceptable.
4) What about suspension and off rode capabilities? As mentioned in my original post, roads are really bad here so even the experience of coming to office from home is off-road like

As for second hand vehicles, call it a psychological problem but I can’t stand with a vehicle which was drove by some other guy (Even my brother ) . I think car is kind of thing where so many emotions are attached, I spare my time in highway drives to relax and a used one will never give me that feel. Therefore I am not keen to buy a used car.
Please suggest.
Crazy Drive – Hi, yes back to back car purchase but unfortunately both of our earlier cars ( Zen and this Indica) were showing age in maintenance bills so no other way out

I will put my experiences with SX4 in the review section very soon but as for now 1 word.. Don’t go for this if you are going to sit on back seat and if it is a trip with 3 guys on back seat, you will end up with a feeling of sitting on railway station bench.

Bye for now.. cheers !!
Old 20th August 2007, 14:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Dinar and Babu have quoted their own experiences for the TCIC, its underpowered even compared to the Indica with passengers.

So if you can live with that, go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
I do own an indica myself , but can not go in for TCIC, as it's very slow when loaded, Indica is far better even after loading it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by babureddy View Post
i used to have a TCIC and just recently sold it and bought a DICOR Lx, this was mainly for the lack of power that TCIC had

.........., but its just about getting adequate power to keep moving without changing gear's and also the initial push...

...i still feel that if you want atleast the power of indica you will go in for Dicor...
Dont worry about the comfort, the comfort level is the best in the class, you can read the long term ownership reports, its built to be driven without roads.
Old 20th August 2007, 17:47   #9
BHPian

Hi Mahesh,

I think you should ideally wait for the launch of the 2.2Safari, I am my self waiting for the same. Its should be fun to drive and should also drop the prices of the current dicor by atleast a lac or two. Hence its no use to buy the TCIC now. Also for esteem that you are thinking, I wanted to point out one thing to you and that is you already own SX4 why do you again want a saloon car when something like Safari is available.

By the way have you checked out the Scorpio Gateway version. In your kind of budget you can get the 4wd Scorpio Getway and that is a good vehicle too, Atleast better than Safari as far as maintainence is concerned.
Old 20th August 2007, 18:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

DICOR ONLY. Period.
Old 20th August 2007, 18:23   #11
BHPian

last month i took the delivery of my dicor(lx).i have absolutely no regrets for not waiting for the 2.2L inspite of knowing that the wait would be worth enough.tcic is real sluggish.top speed is not the only criteria which one should look while buying a beast this size.the difference is huge between the two.overtaking is lot EASIER in dicor.even if you are in 3rd gear,just press the throttle and you are done.dicor is much easier to drive IN CITY as compared to tcic.
for city driving i would seriously recomend DICOR.i am highly satisfied with the performance and loving it more day by day.
hope this helps.
Old 20th August 2007, 18:27   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

If you don't have good roads, why do you want to buy esteem?
Old 20th August 2007, 19:00   #13
BHPian

Stay away from a sedan

Quote:
roads are almost invisible here.. all you can see is dirt, mud and potholes
I would stay away from a sedan, your safe bet would be a Safari DICOR!
Old 20th August 2007, 22:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

when the safari came out there was no other like it in the market....then it was ok, but if you have a choice than why not, as for the pick up part if you won't be over taking much on the road than TCIC is OK [not good], maintenance wise tata engines [specifically TCIC] are good for about 100,000KM no issues after than there is oil consumptions, and small problems here and there, suspenion is the best in class but needs lot of care to be taken [tie rod ends, bushes,etc] but this will be same on both the models.
So it depends on you my friend if you don't mind begin over taken more often by others and you ,yourself do not overtake often, then ..........TCIC it is for you.
Old 21st August 2007, 15:05   #15
BHPian

Hi all

I spoke to one guy in TATA R&D and he says the Dicor 2.2 will be launched in Oct. 2007 and they have already started the plans for training of technical’s. So all of the guys waiting for this may have some hopes before Diwali.

Okay, about my decision of buying the car -

Buying another Sedan and that too an esteem is due the fact that I do need a boot so hatches are out. I tried with other Sedans in this category including Fiesta, Aveo, Logan etc. but couldn’t settle on any of them. (Be it looks, interiors, VFM or whatever) Buying another SX4 does not seem to be an option as I already have one.

As for esteem, I like the looks and I feel why to spend extra 2 lakh on Fiestas or Aveos when I don’t even like them. I have got an offer for 5.10 on road on Esteem and I guess on the roads like ours it will be at least easy and inexpensive to maintain (especially compared to other options)

Still couldn’t get Safari TCIC out of mind and I have asked the dealer to arrange a TD if possible so keeping my fingers crossed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks