Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2024, 11:16   #1

Used VW Tiguan and Skoda Kodiaq - Diesel or Petrol?

I am after a pre-owned (>2019 and around 25-30L budget) automatic Volkswagen Tiguan or Skoda Kodiaq but not sure if I should go with a diesel or petrol variant.

My usage is around 1000 KMs per month. I have heard that one should not have a diesel car when the usage is very low. And at the same time, I have heard/read that one should get a diesel variant for big SUVs.

I have not been able to get my hands on a Diesel Kodiaq or Petrol Tiguan. My test drives so far:-
  • Skoda Kodiaq Petrol 2021: Good to drive
  • Volkswagen Tiguan Diesel 2019: Awesome to drive. It is a little stiff and had body roll but pickup was amazing.
vikeva027 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 12:55   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Used VW Tiguan and Skoda Kodiaq - Diesel or Petrol?

Your running is just 1000 km a month, so either one will do. Plus, the diesels of those times didn't have the BS6 complexity.

Pick based on the specific car available (price, condition, which you like more).

Between the '19 Tiguan Diesel & '21 Kodiaq Petrol, I would pick the Skoda. Reasons:

- 2.0L turbo-petrol is a jewel of a motor. Tiguan diesel's power delivery is adequate, but nowhere as fun as the 2.0L turbo-petrol.

- That Kodiaq has adaptive driving modes, where comfort does soften the suspension, and sport noticeably firms things up.

- That 3rd row of seats is small, but it can come in handy when friends & family need to be carried. Something is better than nothing.

- I find the Tiguan to be too bland from the outside, very boring from the inside, but more than anything....I'd never be able to live with that kind of stiff ride quality in a premium SUV. My sister owns it and everyone in her family hates the ride quality on broken roads (all the more so since they have a holiday home in Pawna village).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikeva027 View Post
And at the same time, I have heard/read that one should get a diesel variant for big SUVs.
Applies more to big, burly body-on-frame SUVs like the Fortuner, rather than car-based crossovers like the Kodiaq, Tiguan, CR-V etc.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 09:55   #3
BHPian

1000 Kms / month is not less, generally if your usage is < 8K Kms/ yr then diesel should be avoided, any thing above 10K kms annual diesel comes into play. Kodiaq is large, has more utility, has better road presence compared to Tiguan.

Both engines options (petrol / diesel) are great, I would prioritise service history, vehicle condition over the choice of engines, one has to be extra careful with the evaluation, service record, past body works, or any other issues when it comes to getting preowned german cars.
Asoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 14:16   #4
BANNED

Quote:
I am after a pre-owned (>2019 and around 25-30L budget) automatic Volkswagen Tiguan or Skoda Kodiaq but not sure if I should go with a diesel or petrol variant.

My usage is around 1000 KMs per month. I have heard that one should not have a diesel car when the usage is very low. And at the same time, I have heard/read that one should get a diesel variant for big SUVs.
My Experience is Never Buy Petrol VW TIGUAN Our Average Mileage with petrol 2Litre Engine Within city is Very low 7kmpl to a Max of 8Kmpl only ,Diesel Tiguan is best As we own both of them .

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st April 2024 at 14:23. Reason: broken quote tag fixed
AnandRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 09:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandRed View Post
Diesel Tiguan is best As we own both of them .
Just double checking, do you own both Diesel Tiguan and Diesel Skoda? And you reckon, a Diesel Tiguan would be better?
vikeva027 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 17:27   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

These two models are almost CBU's and are assembled from semi knocked down (SKD) imported components. Hence as you are zeroing upon 2019 models of the two brands, I am sure that by now the OE must have refreshed both these. Hence, compared to those models of the same manufacturer that are manufactured here, the imported models (premium ones) are not manufactured here, due to the low sales these report. It is not good economics for the OE should they decide to manufacture these with low sales here.

It so happens that such imported component, assembled new cars/SUV's are the most contemporary ones from Germany /or from their country of origin. That's not a big advantage for those who like to buy these as used cars, many years later. The best customers for these in India are those who buy them new, use for about five years and swap them for a new one.

The problems galore that arise when these slightly older ones are still used by owners include spares and repairs. Spares and repairs become difficult to come by for which only the ASC is to be almost fully depended upon. I know cases where such cars/SUV's were stuck up at the ASC for want of spares for a month or more.

Hyundai Tucson and Santa Fe are cases in point where owners are frustrated with ASC's for the not so readily available spares.

Hence, I would keep a safe distance from such slightly older, but premium used cars/SUV's.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 2nd April 2024 at 17:29.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 00:36   #7

Quote:

I have heard that one should not have a diesel car when the usage is very low. And at the same time, I have heard/read that one should get a diesel variant for big SUVs.
[/list]
The first line holds true - Diesel's are a nuisance to maintain in small-distance driving, especially if they are powerful turbo motors.

The second line I take it is coming from an economy and running costs viewpoint. You are already spending 25-30 Lakhs on a used car. Fuel costs are not going to kill you especially if the majority of your travel is short commuting. Petrols are better suited for that kind of driving.
starlord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 09:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello vikeva027,

First I will share some reading resources for you, I recently purchased a Volkswagen Tiguan and posted an ownership thread you can find here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...en-tiguan.html (After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan)

Two weeks ago I posted a 6 month ownership update on the same - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...45#post5739623 (After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan)

I understand you are looking at a pre-owned model and not a new car as well as an older 2019 pre-facelift(?) model Tiguan and Kodiaq, where 2019 and currently sold model are the same I believe. While my threads are on the facelifted Tiguan I feel you should find it 90% a similar experience.
After having gone into detail on the car in my thread, there's really nothing further than I can add as far as describing the Tiguan experience. So in addition to what others here have stated I will simply say this, when it comes to SUVs in this bracket, Tiguan is the Ultimate drivers car and Kodiaq is the comfortable car you'll enjoy more being driven in.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have on the VW, either here or on my thread above I'll be happy help.
Wish you many Kms. of joy whichever you end up picking! : )
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 11:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
[*]Volkswagen Tiguan Diesel 2019: Awesome to drive. It is a little stiff and had body roll but pickup was amazing.[/list]
Personally, I always lean towards Volkswagen due to the design language and the driving experience. Which is why I bought my Taigun GT Plus DSG just a couple of days ago.

I used to prefer diesel cars in the past but over time my opinion has swayed in favour of petrol because of factors like Engine noise, maintenance, and resale value.

Note: I am currently living in Delhi so I would avoid a pre-owned diesel car due to the NGT Ban significantly decreasing the time I can drive the car.
BrakHorseBarhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 00:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Hyundai Tucson and Santa Fe are cases in point where owners are frustrated with ASC's for the not so readily available spares.
Hence, I would keep a safe distance from such slightly older, but premium used cars/SUV's.
Good point, I will keep this in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlord View Post
You are already spending 25-30 Lakhs on a used car. Fuel costs are not going to kill you
No no , I am not worried about the mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Tiguan is the Ultimate drivers car and Kodiaq is the comfortable car you'll enjoy more being driven in.
Exactly, this is where I and my wife are not settling in. I love the drive of Tiguan but the lack of features is pushing me a little off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandRed View Post
I find the Tiguan to be too bland from the outside, very boring from the inside,
Yes, that is the main thing stopping me from buying one. I have got a good deal of just 12K driven 2022 Tiagun for ~30 Lacs but wifey is not happy with the interiors and lack of features.

I would have bought a new car had my usage been a little much. I just don't want to buy a depreciating asset that will just sit in my garage and lose value.

By the way, neighbours had ordered a test drive of the Creta N-Line (top model) and we happened to be there at the same time. I didn't drive the car but had a good look at it, it has all the bells and whistles for ~26 Lacs. Wifey is like, why buy an old one when we can get whatever we want in less money?
vikeva027 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 13:56   #11

Quote:
My usage is around 1000 KMs per month. I have heard that one should not have a diesel car when the usage is very low. And at the same time, I have heard/read that one should get a diesel variant for big SUVs.[/list]
Iíd personally recommend a brand new xuv700 petrol manual for your budget, if you are not brand conscious. You have 200 horses on tap and no auto beats a manual in driving pleasure. It has all the bells and whistles, an interior thatís not too flashy, neither boring and will age gracefully.
The suspension is sorted, all wheel independent. Itís a total winner.
starlord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 14:15   #12
BHPian

Think of it as the last chance to buy a good VW TDI motor which a lot of us are missing. In future you will always get the chance to own a 2.0 tsi, but if you let go off a good tdi right now, I don't see diesel engines 5 years down the line. Diesels are also much more efficient, 35-40% easily, and if the cost of both cars are similar, Diesel should be picked. You get effortless performance along with mileage.

Also, I'm only talking about engines here, the rest of the car and the condition should be taken into account as well.
ahmad.007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 15:49   #13
BHPian

My few cents here.

1. When it comes to Germans, the older the car that we buy, the expensive it will be to maintain. The 2019 TDI Tiguan is almost at the end of the warranty period after which it will be heavy on the pocket to maintain.

2. Between Tiguan and Kodiaq, Tiguan is better to drive because of the shorter wheelbase and being a 5 seater. However, the Kodiaq will be more comfortable and luxurious. While I say this, one of the main reasons I did not buy the Tiguan (I chose Tucson) was due to stiff suspension.

3. These premium models (Tiguan, Kodiaq, Tucson) will definitely need more patience and energy to deal with service because (as someone already mentioned), the spares are not immediately available as they age.

4. None of these are SUV's. These are pure crossovers. Yes it true to go with diesel option in big/heavy cars, read Kodiaq. While you have not given your requirements clearly, if it is only highway use, diesel makes sense. If not petrol is good enough. Please note that savings on petrol vs diesel and the cost of the car, again petrol vs diesel totally depends on where you drive and how much you drive. In your case, petrol is equally good enough.

5. The other alternatives (probably you may want to increase your budget by a few lakhs which is really worth it) that you may want to consider are X1 diesel/petrol, Q3 petrol, Volvo XC40. For eg - X1 diesel will be much more reliable than the Kodiaq/Tiguan diesel.

It all boils down what kind of examples you get and eventually buy. The newer the car, the better. Additionally try to look for a car that is still under warranty.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 9th April 2024 at 15:54.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 17:09   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

From what I've seen:
Tiguan / Kodiaq TDi have been solid companions for most owners. I know one owner personally who sold his car after continuous niggles post a few accidents he met so service history is key irrespective of engine but otherwise he was very happy with his car! Our own nearly 6 year old TDi has had a couple niggles but is still the pick of the house for long trips.
Performance is a little lacking but a reputed remap could change that if you are willing to go that route.
The biggest negative of this gen is the super stiff ride quality on both kodiaq and tiguan - I find it quite liveable but it depends on the road conditions you would encounter. Tiguan seemed more fun to drive with better visibility and shorter length.

Tiguan All Space TSi: given your budget you may see a few of these cars. AVOID at all costs. Many of these are 2019 manufactured CBU that were sold at heavy discounts in 2021, with owners facing niggles related to fuel quality/fuel pump. The least reliable of the lot from what I've come across here and personal accounts.

2022 Kodiaq/Tiguan TSi : picky about fuel quality and prefers 95octane. Punchy engine! Kodiaq L&K adds adaptive suspension which is the biggest plus point! Middle of the road in terms of reliability - fuel quality is key, but better than the CBU and most of these cars will be under warranty which is another plus.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 11:05   #15

Thanks a ton, everyone. I have to bow down to my wife, she wants a new car. Initially, she was okay with getting a premium car but heard some stories from her friends. She wants peace of mind that comes with a new car.

My budget was around 30L, although went up to 35-37 (I know nearly new Tiguan) but didn't quite like anything else.

We have booked the Kia Seltos XLine model now. It has almost everything that we need in a car. My wife loved its interiors and I loved the gray matte finish.

If Tiguan had some good interiors and features, I would have gone for it. Anyway, my daughter is super happy that we have finally finalized a car. I am not totally satisfied with the result but don't want to spend ~50L with the new Skoda Kodiaq that has everything I need. Again, can't justify myself with my low usage. I'd rather invest the money somewhere.
vikeva027 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed