Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2007, 20:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodarul View Post
9. ford endeavour - comparing with all the others (considering even the budget, cost factor), i feel endeavour is an ideal choice. the new endeavour's new TCDi engine is so damn powerfull and it rolls faster than vitara's petrol engine. the steering control is so damn easy for such a huge vehicle. the shocks have been very much improved from previous model.
Not sure if you test drove endeavour. I did it for around 25 km on all terrains (smooth road, bad road and sorta off road as well). The middle seat is horrible. I went over a speed breaker (at reasonably slow speeds) and the middle row seat occupants hit the roof (literally!). The lack of under-thigh support is appalling on the middle row. Note, I am not even talking about the third row, which is basically a cushioned mat on the floor.

I have also test driven every SUV this side of 25L (on road price) and CRV is most fun to drive if one wants to stick to tarmac, Pajero is the best one for off-roading. If Pajero had good interiors and its middle seat could seat 3, I would have bought one with my eyes closed. Safari has the best ride quality, period. Endeavour is the best looking. So my recommendations for SUV (under 25L) would go like the following

Pajero

+
Best off-roader
+ Very good ride. Almost as good as Safari.
+ Good on-road as well
+ Fantastic (though not CRDi) diesel engine

- Lousy interiors
- Can't sit 3 on middle seat
- Resale (if one cares)

Safari

+ Best Ride Quality of all SUVs
+ Very composed on high speeds
+ You feel like a king driving it

- Niggles, niggles, niggles
- Clutch travel. Its like a bus

Endeavour

+ Great exterior looks
+ Great interior as well
+ Very good diesel engine

- Extremely bad ride
- Uncomfortable seats

CRV

+ Gem of an engine
+ Quickest among the lot (under 25L)
+ Very good handling
+ Best among the lot for on-road driving

- Fuel efficiency
- Can't do any real off-roading

GV is Petrol (so bad fuel efficiency) and it isn't as peppy as CRV. However it might be good option for those who want to do serious off-roading, can't afford Pajero and don't want to deal with niggles associated with Safari.

Tucson does everything good but isn't the best in any one department (looks, ride, performance, off-road etc) and doesn't stand out if one wants to flaunt their ride.

urs_frienddelhi

If you are not going to do a lot of off-roading, my recommendation would be to go with CRV.

Last edited by hondadude : 28th August 2007 at 20:56.
Old 28th August 2007, 23:42   #17
BHPian

Like someone mentioned in the thread the latest issue of one of the automags has a lot of info on SUVs, the VW Tiguan is apparently going to be launched 'soon' in 2008 at around 20 lakhs, from the pics it looks like a really good SUV and VW do have some very refined and frugal diesel engines. Maybe it could be worth waiting for this.
Old 29th August 2007, 00:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Tuscon is a good option for a 5 seater. 4W and a good CRDi engine.
CRV Looks .. Performance - horrible FE
Laura - if its a Sedan you want - take it !!
Civic - Mugenated for style and performance?

I think you need to be more specific in your needs for the boys to help you out/.
Old 29th August 2007, 23:43   #19
BHPian

Based on your requirements, the car that meets most of your needs satisfactorily is the Accord V6 - unbeatable in performance, comfort, long drives, quality et al. The only glitch is lack of off road ability - if this is a must, then the CR-V it is, no other vehicle satisfies all of your requirements as well as the CR-V. I must warn you, though, that the CR-V's off road ability is severely restricted by its monocoque (car like) construction and low ground clearance.
Old 30th August 2007, 04:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

why dont you look at getting yourself a second hand prado or a lancruiser or even a nissan petrol. you would get them in your price range. there was a nissan petrol 2002 model for 17. i am only suggesting these cars as you dont seem to like any of the other cars mentioned.
Old 30th August 2007, 12:24   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

IMHO you should test-drive the CRV. It meets your requirements the best.
Old 1st September 2007, 18:12   #22

what's the milleage for CRV? any ideas? As far as the reviews from some Auto magazines, its 9 -10.
Does anyone have a clear picture of the milleage chart for manual and automatic for long drives and for city drives?
advice?
cheers
Old 2nd September 2007, 03:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodarul View Post
what's the milleage for CRV? any ideas? As far as the reviews from some Auto magazines, its 9 -10.
Does anyone have a clear picture of the milleage chart for manual and automatic for long drives and for city drives?
advice?
cheers
a close friend's CRV auotomatic doles out 6-7km/l in the city.
mileage has been constant though.
Old 2nd September 2007, 14:41   #24

hey urs_frienddelhi ,the best car that meets your requirements is the Honda CR-V . But incase you plan to buy a Laura(or any diesel vehicle) wait for sometime ..... Check out this link ...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...esel-cars.html
Old 2nd September 2007, 15:00   #25
BHPian

you also have an option to wait for CAPTIVA from GM look a like CRV, you can also watch the video at youtube.
Cheers
Wadhwa Ajay
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Seriously take an extensive test-drive on the Tata Safari DICOR 3.0L 4x4. I bet that you won't be disappointed.. An indegenious SUV that has tremendous charector, immense road prescence and commands respect on the road.
Old 3rd September 2007, 22:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

I'd opt for the Pajero (because of 4WD), but if 4WD is not important, save yourself 10 lacs and go for the Innova.
Old 3rd September 2007, 23:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

Not a fan of CRV but i think CRV fits your requirements alot so opt for it you wont be dissapointed, its a Honda after all.
Old 4th September 2007, 09:32   #29
BHPian

so have you made up your mind yet?
Old 4th September 2007, 11:35   #30

Hii,
Thanks for suggestions friends. I am waiting for Outlander and Fortuner. I guess soon Mitsubishi and Toyota are going to lauch them in India. Any guess?
Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed