Team-BHP - Help for a used 4WD in bangalore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Help for a used 4WD in bangalore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/28223-help-used-4wd-bangalore.html)

Hi All,

I am planning for buying a 4WD (New / Used) in bangalore. Need help in chosing one. It will be basically used on weekends and some outings.

Budget < 500 K.

Regards,
Vijay

less than 5 lakh?? probably the best option would be a Gypsy...the new one should cost you around a lakh more than the budget...but you will find good ones within your budget...low maintance, the mechanism is not much complicated in gypsy, so....

As for safari 4x4, and other higher end vehicles, gurus here will guide you further...

If U're gonna use it off-road a lot, i'd suggest u stick to the gypsy.

How about a nice Sierra Turbo 4x4?

you could look at a secondhand gypsy king or a tata safari.

if you want a new one- look a the bolero - around your budget. The invader also is pretty decent. However, if you are looking at off-roading- stick to mahindras or marutis.

Vijay

You havent specified your needs in-depth so its difficult to make a single recommendation to you. However, here are some competent 4x4's that will fit in your budget:

1. Gypsy : Very capable off-the-road and easy to drive. No maintainence headaches though the ride quality is very stiff.

2. Mahindra 540 : Can handle most situations off the road. Cheap upkeep and running, thanks to the diesel engine + simple mechanicals.

3. Bolero 4x4 : More of a "proper" option since it is enclosed. Can handle off-roading excursions reasonably well.

Try to get hold of a Mahindra Classic, if someone is ready to sell...Ask GTO if he wants to sells his classic :-)

Like GTO said what do you intend to do with a 4x4, on what sort of excursions?

You have quite a good budget to get a used 4x4 Indian vehicle.

you could buy a second hand safari you will get it for about 4 to 4.5 lakhs ( mint condition) done very low mileage. there is one car that i wanted to buy but have not yet baught it since i want to sell my safari first. so in case you are interested you can pm me and i will tell you where it is you can talk to them directly.

GTO, after you mentioned MM 540, I googled and was pleasently surprised with its specifications. I always underestimated this jeep though I loved the looks...The link below has detailed specification on this jeep:

Mahindra

I have been driving a gypsy for quite some time now and agree 'on-road' it is not good on the bones. As time goes by, the size of the belt that one wears increases...:-) I was shocked that MM 540 has Leaf springs , semi elliptical at front and rear with hydraulic double acting telescopic shock absorbers!!!

with MM, the export models look great, and the Indian ones look a little carelessly made...cant understand why this 'step-motherly' treatment to brothers of own mother land???

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 549226)
Vijay

You havent specified your needs in-depth so its difficult to make a single recommendation to you. However, here are some competent 4x4's that will fit in your budget:

1. Gypsy : Very capable off-the-road and easy to drive. No maintainence headaches though the ride quality is very stiff.

2. Mahindra 540 : Can handle most situations off the road. Cheap upkeep and running, thanks to the diesel engine + simple mechanicals.

3. Bolero 4x4 : More of a "proper" option since it is enclosed. Can handle off-roading excursions reasonably well.

Hi GTO,

I am looking for the vehicle from 2 perspectives:
1. Should be tough and ready to take some rough terrains if required.
2. Should be comfortable for my family as well.

So looking at your suggestions I feel a bolero will be a better choice for me.

Right now I am not very keen on hardcore offroad activities. I am also not aware if we have hardcore offroad activities in and around bangalore where I am based of. Any pointers on that are highly appreciated.

For some time I was in South Africa and had seen a plenty of offroad tracks in and around johannesburg. Shame I didnt have a 4X4 there as they need a special licence in South Africa. Even big companies like Land Rover, BMW, Mitsubishi, VW etc. had their own 4X4 training tracks there.

I heard that gypsy is very good offroad but its not that good on roads. Wanted to know from Gypsy owners how do they feel about that.

vijay have you bought you 4X4 if not there are some good gypsies in delhi go to rally.co.in and you will find a thread that says it all i think they were quoting 2.5 or 3.5 not sure but any ways you can check it

I have been driving MG413 and M&M540/550 a lot on the road and off it for quite a long time now.
My observations are are follows-
1. A new M&M feels very good on road also, till the time suspension bushes don't give away. However, the body roll is much more in this vehicle in comparision to MG. Handling in the traffic is not as acurate as MG. Engagement of 4WD is a little difficult compared to MG(although the latest models have tried to simplify it by engagement by moving the lever in one direction,ie,north-south) due to lack of smoothness in transfer case. There is more leg, shoulder space in this vehicle. It generates enough power to tackle off road situations comfortably. It has a tougher exterior. Head lamps are very powerfull, you wouldn't really want additional lighting. Spares are cheap. Long distance driving gives numbness to the fingers, thanks to the diesel motor. Slower off the start line.
2. MG413 is stiffer on the road, but you don't feel this off it. You may have to reinforce the leaf spring with one additional leaf if you are seriosly planning to go off the road. Body roll is less on road, but topples faster than the M&M, probably because of its' length(we must remember that this model has specially been designed for Indian market where we want more seating capacity. The original vehicle SJ410 and 413 are much shorter). Handling is more accurate. It is perhaps the lightest offroader, therefore it is very capable. The body is more fragile and many a times the fibre mud guards get uprooted by getting entangled in tree roots/low branches. Lesser leg room and shoulder space makes it a little uncomfortable for the talls and broads. Overall life of the vehicle is more because of the petrol engine.
3. Both the vehicles don't have a power steering. (So one got to have power in the biceps...hehehe)
4. Both the vehicles have been equiped with a 5 speed gear box.
5. Very difficult to consider these as family vehicles. (It is a task for ladies to climb up these vehicles when wearing sarees)

Hi Vijaypalrana, I own a Bolero Invader, bought new in Nov 2006- 4WD. I've fitted Michellin Tyres and have put in Alloys, an A/C and a Music System. Have used it for about 17,000 Kms. You can take a look at it and see if you like it. I'm going in for a New Chevy Optra Magnum now so need to sell this. Mine is a TN registered vehicle. This vehicle runs on any terrain and engine is a TurboDiesel, pretty responsive.