Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2007, 19:02   #1
adc
Senior - BHPian

On buying Tata Safari Dicor now

Well as it seems the launch of Safari 2.2 is very very close, the dealer here in Kolkata is offering Safari LX, EX [the 4wd version] at its ex-factory price - 7,30,000 for the LX 4x2 and 9,20,000 for the EX 4x4. Plus there are free accessories till September 15

The 2.2 base version on road price will come out at least around 8.4 to 8.5 Lakh - however just my guess.

Now knowing fully well that I will be buying a product that is being phased out, will it be advisable to still buy at these prices? Also condering all the other improvements of 2.2 over 3, do I compensate with the price that is being offered to me now.

Thanks in advance of suggestions/replies.
Old 5th September 2007, 19:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

I dunno whether you'll agree with me or not but I normally tend to buy a vehicle after a year & half of its launch. By that time the company would have received ample feedback from users about its shortcomings & glitches, and would have slowly rectified the same.

Keeping this in view and the reduced price that you are being offered along with the freebies, I would suggext the DICOR 4x4 is a better buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Well as it seems the launch of Safari 2.2 is very very close, the dealer here in Kolkata is offering Safari LX, EX [the 4wd version] at its ex-factory price - 7,30,000 for the LX 4x2 and 9,20,000 for the EX 4x4. Plus there are free accessories till September 15

The 2.2 base version on road price will come out at least around 8.4 to 8.5 Lakh - however just my guess.

Now knowing fully well that I will be buying a product that is being phased out, will it be advisable to still buy at these prices? Also condering all the other improvements of 2.2 over 3, do I compensate with the price that is being offered to me now.

Old 5th September 2007, 19:31   #3
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Keeping this in view and the reduced price that you are being offered along with the freebies, I would suggext the DICOR 4x4 is a better buy.

Yes, definitely thought that the EX 4wd is a good buy at that price.

Does the LX price also look okay at 7.3 Lakh? What may be the price of LX 4x2 in other cities now, if someone please let me know?
Old 5th September 2007, 19:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

I donno about the launch date but the prices you are getting are very good, its a throwaway price + accessories too.

Quote:
Product might not be phased out, only a new variant (primarily engine) is coming out.

You dont know yet, if those will be an improvement or a pain-in-the-A$$ for new buyers. The 3.0 is a tried, tested and proven engine and at this price, I would say Go for it.

You also dont know at what price the new 2.2L will come out(it might be higher or existing list price without discounts) and definitely there will be no free offerings.

Quote:

Old 5th September 2007, 22:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I dunno whether you'll agree with me or not but I normally tend to buy a vehicle after a year & half of its launch. By that time the company would have received ample feedback from users about its shortcomings & glitches, and would have slowly rectified the same.

101%
It always good to buy a vehicle in its present form which is already in market for atleast 18-24 months.

Go for it adc..
Old 5th September 2007, 22:38   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a classic Catch22. Answering it wont be a simple yes or a no. And I would agree with gd1418 that waiting atleast 1 year after a new engineering launch - esp. from Tata, is a sound suggestion. In light of that PoV only will buying the current Safari make sense.
Old 6th September 2007, 07:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
This is a classic Catch22. Answering it wont be a simple yes or a no. And I would agree with gd1418 that waiting atleast 1 year after a new engineering launch - esp. from Tata, is a sound suggestion. In light of that PoV only will buying the current Safari make sense.
I think we should wait for 1 year of any car launch in India. Even if the launch is of an international car like the CIVIC, I think a lot of glitches have been ironed out in the past year. I think the whole suspension system has been tuned again for the Indian conditions.

If this is true, could someone comment?
Old 6th September 2007, 08:04   #8
Mav
BHPian

2.2 has been around in Italy for sometime now and hopefully will not have a huge issues list as previous models. The best will be for you to wait for couple of months and then take the plunge accordingly.

I bought my Dicor in July and if I knew for sure that 2.2 is just around the corner, I would have rather waited than buying the old model. Though only consolation for me as of now is that I have old technology but tried and tested engiene. However, if I was in your shoes I would have definately waited, trust me 140 BHP is worth waiting - IMHO.

P.S. I have also heard that Tata might phase out 3.0 completely. Can some one confirm this?
Old 6th September 2007, 08:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

wait till sept 15th na.. am sure u'll get more discounts on 3.0 once the 2.2 is launched (if it's launched on 15th that is.. ) u can test drive both and make ur descion..
Old 6th September 2007, 08:50   #10
BHPian

Quote:

Let me clarify, you're talikng about the ex factory price. So the ex showroom and then the On road price will be higher. So just clarify that. According to Tata Motors website,

LX 4*2 Rs. 727,918

EX 4*4 Rs. 915,622

Both prices for DICOR BS 3; ex-showroom Kolkata. You can check TATA Motors - Safari DICOR

Please check again with the dealer.
Old 6th September 2007, 09:57   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post

P.S. I have also heard that Tata might phase out 3.0 completely. Can some one confirm this?
The dealer in HYD told me that the 2.2 will be there only in the EX and VX variants while the LX will still persist with the 3.0 engine. This probably explains the current factory production nos for the 2 variants as mentioned in another 2.2 related thread.
Old 6th September 2007, 10:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Mav, Its been around for only 2-3 months in Italy, does not qualify to being termed as tested machine. The major change being the engine only.

And definitely no goodies on the 2.2L, if and when launched, so if the budget is tight, recommend a buy now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
2.2 has been around in Italy for sometime now
Old 6th September 2007, 10:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling this will come out to be true. Makes more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
The dealer in HYD told me that the 2.2 will be there only in the EX and VX variants while the LX will still persist with the 3.0 engine. This probably explains the current factory production nos for the 2 variants as mentioned in another 2.2 related thread.
Old 6th September 2007, 10:34   #14
Mav
BHPian

@ Dadu .... my bad ... i thought its been around for more than 6 months and couple of months more will make it 8 months, which I thought should be decent enough time for a company to pull up its act. More so when its an international launch.

However, don't you think it will be kind of impossible to buy 3.0 when you know a more powerful engiene is just round the corner. I am starting to feel that way already
Old 6th September 2007, 11:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I just cant understand how dealers outside Pune are offering so much discounts on Dicor...I am in touch with both BU Bhandari and Pandit auto for LX version....BUB is offering only 12K cash discount...Got a call from Pandit auto yesterday stating that all they could offer is free insurance..thats 25k discount...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks