Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2007, 02:07   #1

Tata Sumo Victa GX Turbo OR Mahindra Bolero SLX

Hello everyone, greetings to all, this is my first post in my first forum.

I am planning on buying a family car, I have always wanted an SUV, I need help in deciding between a Victa GX Turbo and a Bolero SLX.

I know there are costlier SUVs like the Scorpio and Safari Dicor, out there... but... for personal (and of course monetary) reasons I am interested only in the two I mentioned above (I kinda like them).

I would be grateful if you could post your personal experiences or post links from roadtests / reviews or give your personal suggestions / thoughts..

Looking forwards to an enjoyable research experience...

Thanking you in anticipation....
Old 18th September 2007, 07:18   #2
BHPian

The ride on Sumo will be smooth when compared to Bolero SLX. I've not driven them, so can't comment on driving experience.
Old 18th September 2007, 08:48   #3
BHPian

Also try Sumo Spacio Gold, it's got a 3L engine, it's very torque, come with AC and power sterring and the best part is it come for about 5Lakhs on Road.
Old 18th September 2007, 09:24   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Sumo is far more comfortable for passengers. Space and ride quality are ages ahead of the Bolero. However, the Bolero is more rugged and therefore can withstand abuse better. Either have their pro's and con's so I recommend you taking a testdrive with your family before putting down the cheque.

@ musicmanaman : The Spacio is not the best choice for personal / family use.

Last edited by GTO : 18th September 2007 at 09:29.
Old 18th September 2007, 10:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

with GTO and it also depends on where are you going to use this vehicle, city, suburbs or villages etc. Bolero will be more rugged and is available in 4x4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Sumo is far more comfortable for passengers. Space and ride quality are ages ahead of the Bolero. However, the Bolero is more rugged and therefore can withstand abuse better. Either have their pro's and con's so I recommend you taking a testdrive with your family before putting down the cheque.

@ musicmanaman : The Spacio is not the best choice for personal / family use.
Old 18th September 2007, 10:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have driven both over longer distances and in hilly broken terrains. While Sumo is great for driving comfort but Bolero is more fun to drive. Overall I would prefer to go in for the bolero or wait till Diwali when I hear an uplifted Sumo will be introduced. But for now I would put my money on a Bolero SLX.
Old 18th September 2007, 12:55   #7

Thank you very much for your comments....

Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming..... your thoughts are great help..

I will be using the car in a medium sized town in Maharashtra as a family car...ferrying kids from school, going to work, market, the weekend outing, occasional vacation..etc.. typical family car duties.

I have been given friendly warnings that I should go in for a sedan / mid sized car and never for an MUV .. especially if Victa or Bolero... as it would seem to be a public vehicle....taxi...etc...and not suit image of a single family car.. I disagree...

About the updated Sumo .. to be out this Diwali... can you guide me to any website / link..?

Thanks again for the comments...
Old 18th September 2007, 14:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victa_OR_Bolero View Post

About the updated Sumo .. to be out this Diwali... can you guide me to any website / link..?
I think it is somewhere here also but I heard it from the dealers. Its more on the new telcoline kinda thing.
Old 18th September 2007, 14:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Do investigate the service centres and their reputations. While Mahindra can be frustrating, TATA really takes the cake I believe!

And do seriously consider the 4WD option that only a Bolero can offer - a 'true' SUV.

Last edited by anupmathur : 18th September 2007 at 14:55.
Old 18th September 2007, 14:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

We had both above mention vehicles in the family

and if i have to choose now i will go in for the bolero in cream and light gold color

sumo has a major negative point it has image of a taxi
Old 22nd October 2007, 18:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Turbo Spacio

Tata now sells an up-market Sumo Spacio with the absolutely stone-reliable 3.0L engine with a small turbo on it. This pushes the KPL up to 13-15 and the HP up to 70. Tata also has upgraded the seats and the dash. 'Taxi' image? Maybe, but also dependable transportation that is quite affordable to maintain. The new turbo Spacio gets my vote. But opt for power steering, it's a bit heavy to handle at low speed manuevers in tight spots with manual steering.
Old 22nd October 2007, 21:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

There has never been anything like an utterly reliable Tata vehicle.
Mahindra wins hands down.
Ask mechanics in your area, they know more about this than most of us.
M&M service might make you pull your hair out at times, but Tata service will make you jump off the nearest tall building. Then you will never have to worry about which is better!
Old 23rd October 2007, 03:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

There is a reason taxis are Sumos and not Mahindra Boleros or some such. The 3.0L engine is utterly reliable and time proven. The vehicle is easy to work on and inexpensive to maintain and spare parts are readily available everywhere. The vehicle is common so mechanics with knowledge of them are common. If you travel the Manali/Leh road, one of the most demanding in the world, you will see Spacio after Spacio getting it done.
Old 23rd October 2007, 09:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
The vehicle is easy to work on and inexpensive to maintain and spare parts are readily available everywhere. The vehicle is common so mechanics with knowledge of them are common. If you travel the Manali/Leh road, one of the most demanding in the world, you will see Spacio after Spacio getting it done.
You are right about most of the points. The problem with the Bolero is SPACE and COMFORT. Comes nowhere close to the Sumo. But it is a thoroughly reliable vehicle too.
The difference is also that a Bolero is not so easily assumed to be a Taxi.
And with the ***, as already mentioned.
Old 23rd October 2007, 15:50   #15
BHPian

Sumo or Bolero

The Bolero is a much smaller vehicle and the Mahindra interiors are better than the Tata.. Having said that a new Sumo is definitely on the cards and I would suggest that you wait a few months if you can..

Most Viewed