Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2007, 21:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Petrol Innova or Safari 2.2

Errr.. Guys.. one of my near one wants to buy this 2.2 EX version.
His weekly run is 50kms..with some dashes to few places once a month.
I advised him against this it would be a rip off of Safari and making the beast sit idle ..instead suggested him Petrol Innova...

Would it be a good decision to go for Petrol Innova.
Budget is 9 LAC OTR Pune.

Any suggestions are welcome for making the right decision
Old 8th October 2007, 23:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

ravibhat and shan2nu vouch for their Petrol Innova in various threads. You haven't mentioned the requirements of your relative. If the requirement is to seat more than 5, Innova is the only choice and IMO Safari doesn't fit the bill. If the requirement is to seat 5 or less, then why Innova and why not a sedan ?
Old 8th October 2007, 23:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Why not Innova Diesel, base version might just squeeze in or a petrol Safari if he owns a pump

Jokes apart the Safari 2.2 no matter even if its sitting idle, it still truns heads.
Old 9th October 2007, 00:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think with that short a commute a Petrol Innova would be quite a good idea. But make sure that he has no problems with the subsequent resale of the car.
Old 9th October 2007, 09:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
ravibhat and shan2nu vouch for their Petrol Innova in various threads. You haven't mentioned the requirements of your relative. If the requirement is to seat more than 5, Innova is the only choice and IMO Safari doesn't fit the bill. If the requirement is to seat 5 or less, then why Innova and why not a sedan ?
I failed to mention that I was going to be a big family car, therefore no SEDAN.
Old 9th October 2007, 09:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Let me put my feedback:

1. If its Innova it has to be either G4 or V model, the reason I noticed every single time if AC is Off 3rd row seat occupant in Innova felt uncomfortable except me. I am fine in any rows of Innova since I can breath in tight situation too. If more than 5 people travel in the car Innova makes lot of sense. 6+1 can travel comfortably in 8 seator Innova and 5+1 can in 7 seator Innova because last row is limited to 2 adults.

Every row has almost same level comfort (the last row gives you 80% of the comfort you get in front row seats.) I travelled for 500km in bad rows in last row and didn't feel uncomfortable.

Only thing I noticed kids tend to omit if seated in last row especially if ac is Off because of lack of ventilation.

Innova has maximum inside space and good ride which is next to Safari.

Innova need tyre upgrade for sure 225/60 R 15 is ideal tyre for Innova.

Once used to it we can drive Innova in any congested city. Its easier to drive compared to SUVs.

Now about Petrol Innova my variant is G3, 2005 model. I get FE in between 7 - 11 kmpl in City - Highway with Ac on. FE clearly depends on quality/quantity of Petrol Bunk it provides.

Only issue about Petrol Innova is its resale value. I have realtive in Toyota factory. According to him it will last long If serviced once in 1 year or every 10000km. I service my Innova once in 4 months or every 4000km. The reason bad Indian roads. Service is almost nill first 40,000 km except oil change once in 8000km or 10 months this is what I follow. tyre rotation and balancing/alignment once in 6000km.

General check up and topping up the oils/water, full washing in and out would cost 650 rs.

Service with oil change would cost 1800/- rs. so I remember oil change is somewhere around 12000/- rs (which is double than what it would cost if we change the oil outside buying Shell Helix oil for Petrol engine)

Few -ve aspects we can adjust mirror from inside in E, G variants.

No clutch/foot rest.

Costly to own but cheap to maintain.

This is quick comment I can come back with detailed feedback If needed

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 9th October 2007, 09:57   #7
BHPian

Petrol Innova. Touch Toyota, Feel Japan. ;-). The Safari is a more for the "biggest is best" consumers, apparently there are a very few of them.
The Innova on the other hand is Toyotas second album for the MPV market and is a more civilised surge.
Old 9th October 2007, 12:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

The Petrol Innova makes sense if you don't travel a lot.

It's not very FE (we get around 12-13kmpl on the highways) and the gear shift is not as smooth as one would expect from a Jap manufacturer.

But, it's good in every other way. Acceleration is phenomenal (0-100 in 12.6 and 0-140 in 25 secs), comfortable seating, plush interiors, good driving position, impressive handling etc.

It finally comes down to personal choice. You can either drive a macho looking Safari.............or zip past it in an MPV style Innova.

Shan2nu
Old 9th October 2007, 12:33   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
I advised him against this it would be a rip off of Safari and making the beast sit idle ..instead suggested him Petrol Innova...

going by your budget id say that if he manages to get the g4 then buy the innova. otherwise the safari would be a better deal since it would have more features than an innova g1.
Old 9th October 2007, 16:29   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

For just this much usage i would recommend innova petrol if the person does not intend to sell it soon.

One question as HONDADUDE also asked why not some sedan?
Old 9th October 2007, 16:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
One question as HONDADUDE also asked why not some sedan?
He has answered it in post #5.
Old 9th October 2007, 16:49   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

i missed post # 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
He has answered it in post #5.
Old 9th October 2007, 16:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post

Do you mean to say that if you have a running of 50km or less it is not a good idea for a diesel big car. Any special technical reason why? I am buying a 2.2 L safari and my daily commute is hardly 20 kms. Over the weekend I do say about 100 to 150Kms depends, ofcourse after i get it i'd have more trips outside the city limits but then does the daily small run (20km) affect the engine in anyway.?
Old 9th October 2007, 17:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
Do you mean to say that if you have a running of 50km or less it is not a good idea for a diesel big car. Any special technical reason why? I am buying a 2.2 L safari and my daily commute is hardly 20 kms. Over the weekend I do say about 100 to 150Kms depends, ofcourse after i get it i'd have more trips outside the city limits but then does the daily small run (20km) affect the engine in anyway.?
Juda: His Weekly run is only 50KMS. therefore I suggested him petrol innova..your seems to be 20*5 + 150 = 250kms a week . Moreover, he is looking to seat atleast 7 persons adults comfortably.

If you read a thread "Diesel vs Petrol" posted in this forum, it will throw some light onto your queries.

Technically, I am not very sure but senior bhpiand can comment, but thought is Diesels require a bit of atleast 10-15 kms of running to reach optimum operating condition and deliver good efficiency else more soot in the engine,(but this new 2.2 vvt may be technologically advanced due to VGT)

Again, I would iterate that its purely a personal decision depending on your needs.

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 9th October 2007 at 17:49.
Old 9th October 2007, 19:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

What I have seen is even with less daily average commute people buy Deisel because Big Petrol vehicles have less resale value, less FE.

For me first 30,000 km won't make any difference with Petrol Innova compared with its Diesel avatar as far as Petrol cost goes. I take more than 2 years to complete 30,000km. so by that time add another 5000 km bonus as less maintainence for Petrol Innova.

If we think technically and practically for our requirement for most of the guys Petrol vehicles will be more than enough.

I visualize in India people will realize this in 10 years time. by that time cost difference of Petrol and Diesel will be minimized as well

On highway Petrol Innova is silky smooth very comfortable. No noice at all like its Diesel brother.

Regards,

Ravi.

Most Viewed