Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2007, 11:32   #1
BHPian

Help me choose a used Scorpio 2.6 SLX / Scorpio 2.6 DX CRDe

Not that I'm done with the quick 0-100s and the finesse of the OHC VTEC, the most favourite car of this forum, but my soul has been ever searching for a big juggernaut for my highway / slightly off-road ventures.

After being lucky enough to have tasted some of the best SUVs built in the world, like the Isuzu Trooper, Toyota Prado, a Landcruiser 80 series (all borrowed ) atleast for a shortwhile, I just cant wait to gather enough money to buy one of those.

I found the Scorpio to be very practical too. The high price a 2nd hand demands also says more about its reliability compared to its close competitor (no hurt meant)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...i-scorpio.html
This thread died prematurely due to the distractions my job threw in then. Now, am in the search of a well maintained Mahindra Scorpio 2.6 SLX or Mahindra Scorpio 2.6 DX CRDe.

I chose to go 2nd hand again because IMHO, there's no point spending upto a 10-er for a new Indian built SUV. I would rather look for an old LC80 in that price. No arguements on this please, it is my hands-on experience that built my faith in this opinion.

And, yes I'm to the point selective on the trims too.
Either a pre-CRDe SLX trim or a DX trim with CRDe.

Could you dear TBHP-ians help me in finalising on one of these? I know the general pros and cons of this product. Am looking forward to anything apart from general points that I have to watch out, during my 2nd hand hunt.

Please let me know more about the nitty gritty value added features that may be missing (like,... no power windows for rear) in the trims that I have chosen.

Also please educate me on what to expect in terms of maintenance and engine life.

Thanks a ton to all who will help me choose my next locomotive.

Last edited by gbpscars : 19th November 2007 at 11:36.
Old 19th November 2007, 16:49   #2
BHPian

< bump >

i know that no safari owner will reply on this thread, but no scorpio owner to advice on anything?
Old 19th November 2007, 17:04   #3
BHPian

Used Scorpio

I looked for a couple of months for a good used CRDe, but all I got were 7 seaters and I wanted an 8 seater.. Plus the multi link suspension is definitely worth buying the CRDe for.. I dunno what the used market is like in N B'bay , but a year old CRDe depreciates 10-12% only in Bangy.

Mt tuppence

Vijay
Old 19th November 2007, 17:04   #4
BHPian

Hi gbpcars

IMHO, if you are not for the frills, everything else remaining same I'd suggest a Scorpio dx. It has all the things you will need for a day to day use. All windows powered, power steering, a/c. slx will give you voice commands, ski racks, an upscale interior. You can choose now.

Good luck on your hunt for a Scorp.
Old 19th November 2007, 17:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yeah CRDe at a bargain would be a bit hard to find. One of my friends has a June 2006 model SLX and recently he was seeking to sell it and the prices being quoted were around 8.25 -8.50L. Buy the SLX there are a lot of little things that make you happy.
Old 19th November 2007, 17:22   #6
BHPian

Personally , I would not worry about the trim / version, as long as the Engine, suspension and service history are good and the selller is reliable.

All the extra bits like PW , can be added later at marginal cost, as long as the engine / suspension are ok.

Also give a shout on the Yahoo scorpio fans groups..those guys love their beasts and if you find one for sale there, it most probaly is a well cared example. Also look at the GLX version , if you are ok with non CRDe.
Old 19th November 2007, 17:51   #7
BHPian

Buy the DX

The DX has all the necessary features of the SLX.And does without some of the annoying ones. particularly the voice "assist". i already have 3 women telling me what to do. Dont need another .

The 8 seater also has middle row seats that slide and recline.
Old 19th November 2007, 18:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
....particularly the voice "assist". i already have 3 women telling me what to do. Dont need another .
LOL. i like your perspective. and sure that point has got in my head. i wouldnt want a voice assist either.
Old 19th November 2007, 20:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

My advice would be to go for the crde model. It is vastly improvesd in several areas over the older one. And trust me, u'd be happier off without the car saying "your scorpio is a powerful car.. blah blah" every morning.!
Old 15th March 2008, 17:36   #10
BHPian

I just bought a Scorpio CRDe 2006 Feb model for 6.75, with LCD, Bumper, fog lamps installed. I know I paid almost 30k more but, the source I bought was a reliable one together with good condition. So I didn't mind about that extra money. Fyi, I have driven 2007 LC Prado, Rav4, Pajeros and other most prominent suvs and for me, Scorpio (atleast mine) still feels like a tank esp the feel of closing the door. The engine is one of the most responsive in indian diesel suv category, (i think). last but least, the kinda ego you get satisfied is for you to get experienced...i doubt whether any other indian made suv in this price can give this kind of 'reliability' and road presence... ( i know iam open a can of worms!)

Adding to this, my uncle driving a 2002 scorpio and the aircon and the noise inside the cabin feels like a jap suv. This is the main reason why I decided on Scorpio.
Old 15th April 2008, 10:19   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i suggest if you have some time, view the review I ve done on Scorpio LX Crde and the other Ive done on Safari 2.2 Dicor LX

you might find these helpful

cheerio

shankar
Old 15th April 2008, 12:58   #12
BHPian

gbpscars, so what was your choice?
Old 15th April 2008, 15:40   #13
BANNED

difference between the dx model and slx are the body colour claddings and slx comes with front seat hand rests and some other features voice assisting or something which i dont think are necessary......

just go for the crde model ...
Old 4th May 2008, 00:35   #14

I just heard that mahindra has launched a new 2.2 CRDE version of scorpio...Confirm please...
Old 5th May 2008, 11:18   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yes they have launched the MHAWK 2.2 Crde engine. Develops 120BHP as opposed to the 2.6 Crde which gives 115 BHP.
Great vehicle but comes only as a VLX - fully loaded with all sorts of things and costs a bomb - about 11.2 lacs OTR BLR.
This is a new gen engine and once they bring out more variants at lower prices, it will really become worth considering according to me.

You might want to read my report on the Scorpio LX Crde 2.6 after a 1200 odd km run, which I posted yesterday, to help you decide.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by _saint View Post
I just heard that mahindra has launched a new 2.2 CRDE version of scorpio...Confirm please...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks