Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2007, 18:45   #1
KVS
BHPian

Buy a car now (2007) or in 2008?

I am planning to buy a Safari. I have one question whether to buy now (i e in 2007) or in 2008?

Points I am considering are
1. Any car is associated with an year of purchase and the resale value is calculated based on the year of purchse.

2. Considering TATA dealers are not giving any discount, should I wait or buy it now.

I have seen many members are bouught new vehicles in nov/Dec. Need your opinion and advise..

Regards

KVS
Old 10th December 2007, 19:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Usually this is the time when companies offer discounts but if there arent any I would suggest that you wait until jan 08.
Old 10th December 2007, 19:11   #3
BHPian

1.Yes they caluclate based on the year of purchase.
2.If they are not giving discounts dont buy you should wait.Normally all the dealers give discounts unless it is a newly launched one like Dicor 2.2 it think.I dont know whether it is 2.2 or not.
Old 10th December 2007, 19:54   #4
BHPian

i feel it is worth to buy a car now as it makes very little differnce and price increase is on the card for all the companies
and during this period there is maximum discounts
Old 10th December 2007, 20:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wait. Wait for jan and then buy it. I know its difficult because when you do get your mind down to buying a car, waiting a day also is pure torture.

If your buying your car in 2008 then wait for the production date of the car to be 08 or if thats not an issue then buy it 1st week of jan.
Ignore discounts. A 08 car will give you better resale when you sell your car. and trust me when the times comes to sell the car you'd be like "FREAK i should have waited"

So just wait.
Old 10th December 2007, 21:03   #6
Team-BHP Support

Its simple actually. At the end of the year,
No Discounts = No Buy
Old 10th December 2007, 21:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

still if you wait till 2008,the actual 2008 model will be available only by end of jan or feb 1st.by that time the prices would be increased and then the urge to wait till march -when the budget comes prices may go down mania will take over.after that the festival discounts etc etc and you end up not buying a car for another year.by 2008 end there will be discounts on dicor -buy.but then you lost a year yaar.
ram
Old 10th December 2007, 22:41   #8
BHPian

Refer this post, so many models are going to be launched in '08 - Don't you wanna wait?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/652297-post628.html

Last edited by sathya_nars : 10th December 2007 at 22:43.
Old 10th December 2007, 22:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Wait till Feb - You get a 08 engine as well. Trust me it will be worth the wait.

Also since no discounts currently - makes no sense right now.
Old 10th December 2007, 23:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Do not buy if there aren't any discounts now. It is not a wise decision. You can also look into the otehr new launches in 2008 and then decide on your buring.
Old 11th December 2007, 10:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Let me ask you few questions:

- Are you buying a car based on its discount value ??, if yes, by an Aveo, it has good discounts

- Are you buying a car based on the month/year (depreciation value) ??, then dont its a FA and will depreciate, put your money in an investment. Anyways you get full depreciation(own business) if bought after april and before Sep only and not otherwise in a financial year.

- Are you buying a car based on its resale value ??, if yes, then buy a Maruti brand, it has most resale value.

- Are you buying a million rupee car for those 10k accessories ??...I dont want to comment further if you are.

Bargain, negotiate hard and buy a car when you want to and are ready for it with the budget, rest all is secondary.

The prices might increase or go down, the budget might reduce or increase taxes on them, noone can tell and you can keep waiting.

The only valid reason for waiting is if you are looking for more options/ new launches to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVS View Post
I have seen many members are bouught new vehicles in nov/Dec. Need your opinion and advise..

Regards

KVS

Last edited by dadu : 11th December 2007 at 10:36.
Old 11th December 2007, 10:41   #12
BHPian

Its hard to get a 08 manufactured car in Feb or March.. cos the production is so huge and the stock is maintained by each dealer..

if you in urgency to buy then take the car now and get it registered in 08. but in delhi you cannot do this..
Dont stick to only 1 dealer call up and straight away ask how much discount u giving me.. and try to bargain on it..
While buying my car i negotiated with 2 and found out a better bargain in discount from HMP

I paid the money in 2005 Dec end and took the car in first week of jan with 2006 registration.
Old 11th December 2007, 11:44   #13
BHPian

discounts dont matter in a long run!!!

hi

the year end discounts are given to clear the stocks(not bad ones,but those manufactured in 2007). At the time of resale your car would still be a 2007 model,even though you buy at the tail end of the year.At the time of resale the discount you get would more or less be equal to the depreciation for a 2007 model compared to 2008 model in the long run.Hence it doesnt matter whether you get discounts or not,but prices are going to increase in jan'2008!!!!!

bye...
Old 11th December 2007, 21:53   #14
KVS
BHPian

Dear All,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. The suggestions were really valuable.
We have decided to buy Safari 2.2 – VX 4X4 after lot of considerations (Evaluated Innova, Safari and Scorpio). Safari is my wife's choice and 4X4 is my addition. We will be buying it on my wife's name as we can claim depreciation on the vehicle.

Dadu: All your points are valid. Long drive during year end break is the main reason to buy immediately. How ever it is not going to happen as there is 3 to 4 weeks waiting time for 4X4 model.

Resale value is an important aspect and for a few days waiting, I did not want to end up with a 2007 model. So, we will book the vehicle in 2008.

Regards

KVS
Old 13th December 2007, 11:58   #15
BHPian

Congrats

Thats a good choice KVS, safari is an awesome car with a great engine.
Also good to hear your wife chose it as i have heard females usually dislike the rugged beast.

Its always wise to wait for an 08 model than to buy now and regret later.
It might make a difference of 25-30k 5 years down the line.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks