Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2008, 16:17   #1
BHPian

Buying Safari - Need inputs

Three months ago, when I was searching for an SUV to buy, I had only Innova and Scorpio in mind. I was searching through the web looking for reviews about these two. That's where I came across team-bhp. Safari was way out-of-question, as I used to think that it was an old model

This site had totally changed my perception.

Now, I can not think of any other SUV except Safari.

Went to the showrooms and checked out all the three vehicles. I was not comfortable sitting in Scorpio. Hence, that was ruled out for TD itself.

Took a test drive of both Safari and Innova; both exactly in the same conditions (80% highway road, 20% off-road).

Innova was quite smooth and comfortable on highways. But, on some craters, it was same almost like my Maruti 800.

Safari was extremely powerful. On TD, I found to be reaching 80KMPH in 2nd-3rd gears itself without much of my knowledge. Even at high speeds, I never found any problems in braking.

After reading so many posts, I had high hopes on its off-road(gravel) capabilities. In some posts, I even read that we can't feel speed-breakers in it.

But, this was disappointing. It was more less the same as that of Innova.

However, I've almost decided on Safari. I like its power more than anything else.

Right now, I'm in touch with Prerana Motors, Sarjapur Rd. The quote is 9.99L for EX version with some standard accessories. I need inputs from all Safari owners in Bangalore.

1) Do you suggest contacting multiple dealers (Prerana, Concorde) to get better discounts?
2) For what accessories can I bargain for in the same 9.99L?
3) Many people have suggested for change in tyres. Can you please suggest good place where I can do that?
4) Prerana is offering Sun film (some local company). Can I bargain for 3M?

It would be really thankful if you all can help me join your Safari club.

Thanks,
Old 13th January 2008, 21:24   #2
BHPian

Couple of more questions to add:

1. Is it necessary to go for VX for the ABS? Is it necessary to have ABS?
2. Is it necessary to change the Tyres? Cos one of the tyre vendor says we might need to modify ( cut ) the bumper slightly.
3. One of the dealer also confirmed that some people have cut the bumper for tyre change and facing sounds in bumper. Is it necessary to cut the bumper?
4. Is it necessary to change the stock headlamp bulbs?

thanks in advance
Regards
Deepak
Old 13th January 2008, 21:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear you decided Safari (best SUV in 10 lac bracket in Indian conditions) the beast!

Please remember onething people buy Safari just because of craze/hype it created by good ride, image, word of mouth and mouth watering tempting price! It don't come close in refinement with other SUV/MUV available. Once it covers more than 40,000 km it might turn as white Elephant to maintain. But I hope with new engine 2.2 less maintainance is needed.

Answers to your question:

1. Please contact all posible dealers and bargain hard to get better discounts. I suggest Concorde to buy and Prerana to service.

2. Basic accessories I saw dealers give idol, local sun film, foot mats, Steering Grip, Seat covers (sometimes), teflon coating, may be you can also ask for headlamps upgrade!

3. I suggest you need not change tyres for Safari.

4. If you can afford VX model is worth since its loaded with safety and luxury features.

5. Bumper cutting happens when you upgrade to really big tyres or chosen 7.5 inch or above width RIMs. If you choose 7 inch RIM I feel you need not cut bumper.

6. I suggest change headlamps to 90/100.

Hope this helps.

All the best!

Ravi.
Old 14th January 2008, 00:20   #4
BANNED

Good Choice buddy,

Talk to Mr Raghu at Manipal motors on 9880320214(Refer Kadam RED SAFARI) He might just help you.

Choice of EX is good, ask for Bridgestone tyres, i got one like this.

They will give you all mats required and yes with 3M sunfilm ofcourse.

The BEAST is already fully loaded car man. you seldom require to add anything more.

Happy driving.
Old 14th January 2008, 00:30   #5
BHPian

Going for ABS is aways a good thing. Particularly if you intend to use it on the highways a lot. Change the head lamps if you feel the need for it. IMO, it's not a must do.
Old 15th January 2008, 23:27   #6
BHPian

Bull/Crash guard!

Two questions:

Does adding a bull/crash guard to the front have an effect on the overall weight/driveability of the vehicle?

Is it possible to get a reverse-guide camera fitted after buying an EX? How much would it cost? Or may be a parking sensor would be better, what say?

Which color makes the Safari look its best?

I know that makes it three questions ;-) But, any help will be much appreciated.

- KK.
Old 16th January 2008, 10:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

The length increase by a few cms and you are negatiing the crumple zones provided by the manufacturer to protect you in case of a frontal collision at high speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
Two questions:

Does adding a bull/crash guard to the front have an effect on the overall weight/driveability of the vehicle?
Redsoul sells the reverse camera with sensors at 15k.

They also sell only the sensor kit separately, apprx 4k.

Quote:
Is it possible to get a reverse-guide camera fitted after buying an EX? How much would it cost? Or may be a parking sensor would be better, what say?
Thats a personal choice of which colour do you like.

IMO, black looks best but difficult colour to maintain.

Quote:
Which color makes the Safari look its best?

I know that makes it three questions ;-) But, any help will be much appreciated.

- KK.
Old 16th January 2008, 12:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

What exactly do you mean by off-roading? Serious off-roading is a different ball-game and does not come with a cushy ride. You'll for sure feel the bumps and jerks when you do off-roading. Just to feel the difference ride a merc on the dust track and then drive a off roading SUV. You shall then feel the difference.

And if you really want to do offroading, opt for the 4x4 version of Safari. Black is the king of colours and looks great on Safari. You can go for the basic model of the 4x4. Accessories are all after marke tfittings and can be done from outside as well.

Yes, with 140 BHP at your disposal I think you should go for the model that comes with ABS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncity View Post
Took a test drive of both Safari and Innova; both exactly in the same conditions (80% highway road, 20% off-road).

After reading so many posts, I had high hopes on its off-road(gravel) capabilities. In some posts, I even read that we can't feel speed-breakers in it.

But, this was disappointing. It was more less the same as that of Innova.

It would be really thankful if you all can help me join your Safari club.

Thanks,
Old 16th January 2008, 13:15   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I got a Silicon reverse camera for 6.5K. Am really happy with it.
Old 16th January 2008, 13:25   #10
BHPian

any idea what mileage does the 2.2 give in city and highway...
Old 16th January 2008, 13:41   #11
BHPian

@suncity...do you really need a thread to start on this????

Maybe if you could put in some efforts, you will be able to find answers to all your questions. This forum has quite a lot of safri threads...."duplicate business my friend!!"
Old 16th January 2008, 13:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Bull guard Okay

The bull guard will hardly be noticed by you as far as handling. If you get one I suggest that you get one that comes up high enough for you to see it from the driver seat. This can let the driver know a little better how much clearance he has especially on the left side but also in front; it greatly improves vision judgment. Also, do not get a bright chrome one. Reflected sunlight off of it will blind you.
Old 16th January 2008, 14:03   #13
BHPian

I am not trying to change your buying decision.

But please keep in mind: The jump seats in Safari are not comfortable. If you need to carry more than 5 passengers, Innova would be a better option. Fuel efficiency of Innova is much better too.

Regarding reverse sensors: I wouldnt recommend that because even a small hit from a rickshaw/2 wheeler (bound to happen in city driving conditions) on your back bumpers would mean 4K down the drain. And its not that helpful too.
Old 16th January 2008, 14:18   #14
BHPian

I didn't intend to start a different thread for my needs. Though I could find relevant details, I couldn't find exact match. That's the reason for this thread.

I'm quite happy if the moderator can merge this thread to the most relevant one.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
@suncity...do you really need a thread to start on this????

Maybe if you could put in some efforts, you will be able to find answers to all your questions. This forum has quite a lot of safri threads...."duplicate business my friend!!"
Old 16th January 2008, 14:25   #15
BHPian

I badly like Safari look but plastic interiors are too cheap.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks