Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2008, 13:31   #1

Which SUV to buy?

Friends,

I need a help. Currently I own a Ford Ikon Flair and i travel out of Bangalore frequently with my family ( 3 adults, 2 kids). So I am finding it tough to travel specially when kids wanna sleep on long drives.

So we have decided to go for a bigger vehicle like 7 seater so that we have more space. But i am not able to make up my mind on which one to opt for???

My budget is around 12L and I am ready to stretch till 15L if its needed. I was thinking of either Scorpio or Safari Dicor. Below are my requirements..

1. Capacity : 7 seater (MUST)
2. Fuel : Diesel (MUST)
3. Milage: Not really worried as will be used for long drives as my ikon gives me decent milage in city.
4. Price: 12-15L
5. A.S.S: Should not be very expensive to maintain (obviously i don't expect it to be as cheap as Maruti :-)
6. Period: I don't plan to change for next 5 years or so.
7. Resale: NOt really bothered about it.

So please help with ur inputs as to which would be good option amongst all SUV available in India today.

Thanks a million in advance.

regards,
Murali.
Old 5th February 2008, 15:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Murali,

At that price range you have only the Innova, Scorpio and the Safari with the Tucson, Suzuki GV, Endeavour and Captiva ruling themselves out.

Personally, I'd go for the Safari VX over the Scorpio 2.6/mHawk because of the following:

1. Much more interior space;
2. Seats (especially rear) more comfortable;
3. Superior highway experience vs the 2.6 Scorpio;
4. Resale not an issue for you (as Safari suffers vs Scorpio), and
5. Better SUV image.

A.S.S. and mileage should be about the same for both as will be the uncomfortable rear sideways seating arrangements. I am concerned about the 7 seater need: that will leave only the Innova which has 3rd row bench seating. That is the only true 7 seater but at the expense of severely curtailed luggage space.

Also consider the Sumo Grande. That will be very spacious, loaded (ABS?) and pretty smart-looking. Unsure about the image though!

My advice: Drive the Scorpio mHawk to check it's high-speed handling and see if you can live with the cramped interiors. Search TBHP for MHawk threads. The electronics are quite glitchy I believe. Wait for the Sumo Grande as well as the Safari interior facelift (better quality interiors and integrated AC vents etc) expected soon.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by itwasntme : 5th February 2008 at 15:20. Reason: *** vs A.S.S. !
Old 5th February 2008, 15:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Neither the Safari or the Scorpio are true 7 seaters, and you've marked (MUST) against 7-Seater in your list.

Your only choice then is the Innova which IMHO is the only real 7 Seater Diesel in that price range. The Sumo Grande, which is yet (?) to be launched or is in the process of being launched also seems like a true 7 Seater, but I have not sat inside that vehicle.

The other vehicle you could consider is the Tata Winger, but you will have to retain your existing car as it is not a car.

Last edited by Steeroid : 5th February 2008 at 15:27.
Old 5th February 2008, 15:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

I personally would choose Innova-Diesel (High end). It has proven itself in the market. You will have not problems with the car. No niggling issues unlike tata & M&M. Can easily seat 7, Dual A/c, can easily keep 5 years, will give you good resale value. What more you want...

But TD all the three vehicles Innova/Safari 2.2/Scorpio mHawk and then decide.

Last edited by snaronikar : 5th February 2008 at 15:33.
Old 5th February 2008, 15:29   #5
Team-BHP Support

if you want a 7 seater nothing comes close to the innova. the safari vx is a good choice but if your gonna keep it for 5 years im not sure how it will hold up. the cars build quality is not good and there will be small niggles aplenty.

the scorpio vlx is not VFM and its high speed handling is crappy not to mention the cramped interiors.

in both of these the rear most seats are nothing great and are uncomfortable. only the innovas rear seats are pretty comfortable. the innova also has the best build quality and will definitely last for 5 years. it also isnt hard on the pocket to maintain.

before this thread ends up in a safari vs scorpio vs innova my advice to you. just test drive all 3 and see what you like the best.

the sumo grande might be a good 7 seater but it will also have its little issues like the safari and it is a segment lower than the above 3.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 5th February 2008 at 15:31.
Old 5th February 2008, 15:36   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Murali,

4 similar answers from Mumbai, Dubai and Bangalore all posted within 10 minutes from each other! Don't you just love TBHP :-)
Old 5th February 2008, 16:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Innova fits your requirement to a tee.
Old 5th February 2008, 16:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
4 similar answers from Mumbai, Dubai and Bangalore all posted within 10 minutes from each other! Don't you just love TBHP :-)
You bet. It really rocks .
Old 5th February 2008, 16:11   #9

Why not the safari with re-working the rear seats to face front like the Innova ?
Old 5th February 2008, 16:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrangan View Post
Why not the safari with re-working the rear seats to face front like the Innova ?
Tata's always have some or the other niggling issues for almost all the new cars that were launched. When you are getting the same in Innova why not go for it instead of modifications on Safari?
Old 5th February 2008, 16:28   #11
BHPian

Innova is the best fit for a 7 seater family car. Scorpio and Safari are not true 7 seaters.
Old 5th February 2008, 16:30   #12
BHPian

Innova, Innova, Innova

Innova will be a better vehicle for your family. It is comfortable to drive and also to be driven. Its is spacious aswell. The Innova diesel is refined and effecient.
Old 5th February 2008, 16:35   #13
Team-BHP Support

I can't believe people are suggesting choices other than Innova. Innova fits your need like a glove. Nothing else comes closer.
Old 5th February 2008, 16:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

innova or as steroid said the tata winger is also a good choice for long drives.the winer has loads of space and the top end comes with twin a/c pwer all etc.its a traveller competitor eventhough its not as big as the traveller.i hope you would be comfortable in either of the two.
ram
Old 5th February 2008, 16:43   #15
BHPian

innova dependaple & almost trouble free, fits your requirement perfectly

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks